“Loved it !!”

Anne's Windy Poplars
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Loved it !!”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This was a family trip so we stayed in one of the cabins that had 3 bedrooms. It offered everything you needed. It had air conditioning, dishwasher, fridge, stove, microwave, skylight in the bathroom, beautiful cabinets and flooring, a fireplace (which we didn't use because we went in August), barbecue on the deck and a hot tub on the back deck. The place had an outdoor pool, games house and another building with a washer and dryer. That came in handy as one of the kids got sick on the way over on the ferry. If I was to build a little cabin, this would be exactly what I would want. I was not sure about Anne's as my daughter picked it out off the internet (also the price) but I changed my mind when I got there. The grandkids and we adults loved the near by attractions and we all had a great time. Actually, we ended up staying an extra day. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've stayed at Anne's Windy Poplars in the past, but in their regular cottages. These were pretty good all around albeit a bit pricey for what you got.

This time around we stayed at the "4 Star, 5 Bedroom House". I'm not sure how they got to think this was 4 star but I'm thinking they looked up one night and saw four stars because this place isn't up to snuff at all.

This is an old house in all respects. It's condition is fair and if it were to continue to be a rental it needs a complete gut renovation and all new furniture.

Kitchen: Dated in all respects. Old appliances.

Rooms: The single bed rooms were typical hotel style as you would find in a Comfort Inn, nothing more, nothing less. The large room in the basement was a dorm style with four beds. My concern with the basement rooms was the small windows... not sure if that up to code... just know I wouldn't fit out them easily in a fire.

Living Room: Old! The furniture looked so dated I've seen newer at a roadside. The sofa cushions had to be turned with the zippers facing out due to wear. The room did have a panel television but poor reception and few channels made it less than adequate.

Washrooms: There are two as the listing says but you don't dare to try and shower in both at the same time. There isn't enough water pressure to run both or even have one person flush a toilet while you are in. Washroom upstairs is old and the tub is permanently stained. It is a Jacuzzi but a real cheap one. Downstairs the washroom seemed new and well done. It was sparse but met the need.

Air Conditioning: When a place says air conditioned at four stars you'd think it was... all of it. This place has two cheapo units, one in the living room and one in a bedroom. The LR one does an ok job for the size of the room but the dining area, kitchen and halls just bake. The bedroom one had to be turned off several times due to icing as it's likely ten years old or more. With five bedrooms you can expect a fight to see who gets the room that they won't swelter in.

Service: The owners/ managers are a rather forward bunch but overall polite. The maids though did little beyond dropping and collecting towels. For the money, I'd figured a proper cleaning each day would be in order.

In conclusion, I felt the huge chunk of money we laid down for this place, along with it's supposed four star rating should have gotten us more. I would steer a person away from this place in a heartbeat.

If you are thinking of Anne's, stick to the regular cottages. The place has a nice pool, sauna and 8 person Jacuzzi, along with games center. The cottages themselves are dated and less than air conditioned but miles better than the five bed house.

Room Tip: Pick a regular cottage. If you like a personal Jacuzzi, go with one of those.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doc D
awp2888, Owner at Anne's Windy Poplars, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
It is unfortunate Doc D chose not to comment on the positive aspects of the 5 bedroom house. The purpose of this facility is not to compete with the 4 star cottages but to provide low price accommodations for 2 families on a tight travel budget. The rates are based on an occupancy of 10 people. The August weekly rate is $2205.00 which based on 10 people is $221.00 per person for the week or $32.00 per day. The 5 bedroom house was booked 94% of the time this summer which shows how popular it is. It has 8 beds, 2 full baths, a TV on each level including a new 42" LG flat screen which had 70 channels in August but since we have gone digital, we now have 100's of channels to choose from. The house has a fresh air system as well as a dehumidifier in the lower level. There is lots of closet space, a large fridge for food for 10 people, dishwasher, garden doors leading to a large deck with 2 gas BBQs. This facility is situated on a large private lot with parking for 4 vehicles. Recent improvements are all new vinyl windows, new washer and dryer in the laundry room as well as a new domestic hot water system. Ongoing improvements before next tourism season will include new furniture as well as high quality pillow top beds on the main level.
Belleisle Creek, NB
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Booked 2 cottages for a party of 12, facilities were great. Staff was excellent, the owners provided great information and put together a golf package for us which we had not previously requested. Excellent time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed in a two bedroom cottage with the hubby, mom-in-law and grandma for a 5 day trip to PEI. We were all very comfortable here, and I was very grateful for the reliable internet! The cottage had everything we needed to be comfortable and the kitchen met all of our needs. While the decor is dated and the wood in the bathroom near the shower needed some attention, these are aesthetic issues that did not effect our comfort. We also appreciated the peace and quiet - especially since it was rather warm and humid during our stay so it was nice to crack the windows. The air conditioner was a bit loud, but effective. The ground were well kept and quite pretty, the pool was nice and clean (albeit a bit small) and the hottub was great. I would be happy staying here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Advocate Harbour
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My boyfriend and I and another couple were looking for a cottage in Cavendish for the weekend of the Cavendish Beach Music Festival 2011 and I searched the PEI Tourism site and I noticed Anne's Windy Poplars had a vacancy for that weekend. So instead of booking online I felt more comfortable calling to book, since this was a very busy weekend for local business' I wanted to speak with someone to make sure we would have this cottage for sure! Unfortunately when I called the woman who answered said they didn't have anything available, I didn't dwell on it though, I needed to find another place and fast! But when I couldn't find anything else I decided to go back to their site and it said there was still a cottage vacant so I figured what do I have to lose and I booked it, within minutes I had a confimation number sent to my e-mail saying it was mine for that weekend ... odd ... I don't understand why it wasn't available when I called but oh well. When we got there it was alright, we did have a personal hot tub right on the deck but trust me we paid dearly for it! Soooo overpriced it isn't funny, I'm glad we got to split the bill with another couple. The interior is a little outdated if you ask me, comfortable and all, but outdated. Anyways, as I said we did have a hot tub on the deck which we planned on using each night after the festival. However the very first night when we got back to the cottage and decided to take a dip it was about 10:30 pm, we just got back from a fabulous concert and we were all laughing and talking about what we were going to do the next day when a man came over, a supervisor I assume, complaining that he wasn't going to stay up all night "babysitting" us and if we didn't move our "party" inside we would be kicked out. Now I understand that it is a family friendly place, but we in no way what so ever were disturbing anyone, all four of us are polite, mature acting adults. This made us very uncomfortable for the rest of our stay and I can honestly say I will NEVER go back. All I wanted was to be able to come back to a cottage and relax and hang out with my friends ... but that's not what I got.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Ashley T
awp2888, Owner at Anne's Windy Poplars, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
I am the owner and night supervisor and I remember this reservation. In July and August, we have several cottages with families with young children, so we have a published "quiet time". Unfortunately people do not realize how loud their voices sound late at night. Eventually I have to ask people to move inside. This is only done in consideration of other people on site.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We needed a place to stay at the last minute and the staff at Anne's Windy Poplars were more than accommodating. We were attending the Cavendish Beach Music Festival which is an outside event. It poured rain one of the days of the concert and when we arrived back at our cottage a number of extra towels were provided for us. The staff took it upon themselves to be proactive figuring we'd be soaked and needing lots of towels. Very thoughtful!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2011

When I called back in February 2011 for information and to book my dates, I asked what 2 golf courses the couples golf package included, I was told that we could pick out of 6 courses when we got there. Needless to say that when we did get there, our courses and tee times were already booked and the lady working said that she sent us an email to let us know the courses and times. Would have been fine, had she even asked for our email address. When we got there, we had 15 minutes to get to our first course (Stanhope), which was over 30 minutes away. So obviously we had to reschedule our tee time to allow us to change, and of course, get to the course. Since it was men's night that evening, we could only get in a 9 hole round, which the golf course was gracious enough to give us a rain check for the other 9 holes since we already paid for it. Not something the lady at Anne's Windy Poplars offered. Also, our next golf game, which was a Fox Meadows, was about an hour away, and we had to be there for a 9:30am tee time, which meant no sleeping in on our vacation. This trip would have been perfect had it not been for the hectic golf schedule and the too busy golf courses that they booked us at. The cottage was great, the game room was incredible.

Room Tip: Very clean, very accommodating
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jessica V
awp2888, Owner at Anne's Windy Poplars, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Here are the procedures our front office staff follow when booking a golf package. In order to receive the discounts from the golf courses we must make the booking directly with them. Therefore we always obtain the preferred tee off times from the client plus an e-mail address so we can confirm both the reservation for the cottage and the actual tee times with the golf courses. Prince Edward Island is a major golf destination, so it is always wise to arrive with confirmed tee times.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
Kindred Spirits Country Inn & Cottages
#5 of 22 in Cavendish
Cavendish Maples Cottages
Cavendish Maples Cottages
#1 of 22 in Cavendish

Been to Anne's Windy Poplars? Share your experiences!