“Amazing stay and great service!”

and 1 more site!
Anne's Windy Poplars
Halifax, Canada
“Amazing stay and great service!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed 2 nights here for her birthday weekend just a few days ago. Even before going I was impressed with their customer service, as I mistakenly asked about availability for a special on a date when the special had ended a few weeks earlier. Instead of pointing out my mistake the owners were kind enough to extend their offer. We were going to have a one room suite but when we arrived we were given a cottage upgrade at no extra cost! The cottage was very clean and the bed was so comfortable. We always bring our own pillows and this was the first time we never used them as the ones there were so fluffy. The hot tub was even already on and warm when we got there! We couldn't have asked for a better stay, thanks for the amazing time. I would recommend this place to anyone and I will be back for sure :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt C
awp2888, Owner at Anne's Windy Poplars, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Hi Matt, it was a pleasure having you and your girlfriend stay with us. Isn't it nice to sit in a cozy hot tub on a dark night watching the many twinkling stars.

Thanks for the nice comments,

-John Brewer

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 6 December 2012

My whole family including cousins, aunts, uncles, have been going to PEI for 11 years now. This was the most recent place we visited. The location was amazing just a few minutes from the beach. The cottage included a pool and a pretty good games room. The cottages themselves were alright. My family stayed inside the "house" with 8 beds. The beds, the ones I slept on in the downstairs rolm, were BRUTAL. I could feel every spring jabbing into my back during the night. It felt like I was sleeping on a bed of nails. There were also 2 bathrooms. The upstairs one was good, however, when I first turned on the downstairs bathroom, an earwig fell out of the shower head making me extremely paranoid throughout the visit. However, that the worst of the visit, overall the stay was very fun, and our family had. great time.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank GregoryCormier
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed here with 4 adults and 2 children in a 3 bedroom cottage with a private hot tub. We had a great time. The location was close to the majority of the attractions we wanted to see. The cottage was lovely and clean. I believe there was only one a/c unit in the living room but in nighttime the bedroom windows open with the ceiling fan on was all we needed. The pool was great and the children really enjoyed it. The adults really enjoyed the private hot tub!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Okie D
halifax
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed here over the September long weekend as a guys weekend golf getaway as they were offering a 3 night, 2 round package with carts. They took care of all the arrangements in terms of courses and tee times and asked for our preference before they booked. They even provided suggested driving times which was very helpful to plan our day.

When we arrived we were in Cabin 1 which is right by the office so check in was a breeze and since we were traveling in two separate cars it was nice to have a driveway big enough to park them both next to it. The cabin itself was perfect for what we needed - two bedrooms, a cot and pull out couch. The kitchen was dated, but lets be serious, its a cottage so we weren't expecting stainless steel - it was clean and functional so what more could you ask for? The BBQ on each deck was a nice added touch because we ended up using it quite often. The grounds had lots of things to do whether you swam, went to the hot tub, played horseshoes, ping pong or even pool. The only thing that would have been nice was a fan in the washroom but with an open window the steam from hot showers would dissipate.

The price point was perfect as it included a 3 night stay, 2 rounds of golf and carts for four people for all under $1000 total. They even included a bridge pass in it as well. I would definitely recommend this for any group looking to do something similar. It was a great experience and we hope to head back there next year to do the same!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This was a family trip so we stayed in one of the cabins that had 3 bedrooms. It offered everything you needed. It had air conditioning, dishwasher, fridge, stove, microwave, skylight in the bathroom, beautiful cabinets and flooring, a fireplace (which we didn't use because we went in August), barbecue on the deck and a hot tub on the back deck. The place had an outdoor pool, games house and another building with a washer and dryer. That came in handy as one of the kids got sick on the way over on the ferry. If I was to build a little cabin, this would be exactly what I would want. I was not sure about Anne's as my daughter picked it out off the internet (also the price) but I changed my mind when I got there. The grandkids and we adults loved the near by attractions and we all had a great time. Actually, we ended up staying an extra day. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've stayed at Anne's Windy Poplars in the past, but in their regular cottages. These were pretty good all around albeit a bit pricey for what you got.

This time around we stayed at the "4 Star, 5 Bedroom House". I'm not sure how they got to think this was 4 star but I'm thinking they looked up one night and saw four stars because this place isn't up to snuff at all.

This is an old house in all respects. It's condition is fair and if it were to continue to be a rental it needs a complete gut renovation and all new furniture.

Kitchen: Dated in all respects. Old appliances.

Rooms: The single bed rooms were typical hotel style as you would find in a Comfort Inn, nothing more, nothing less. The large room in the basement was a dorm style with four beds. My concern with the basement rooms was the small windows... not sure if that up to code... just know I wouldn't fit out them easily in a fire.

Living Room: Old! The furniture looked so dated I've seen newer at a roadside. The sofa cushions had to be turned with the zippers facing out due to wear. The room did have a panel television but poor reception and few channels made it less than adequate.

Washrooms: There are two as the listing says but you don't dare to try and shower in both at the same time. There isn't enough water pressure to run both or even have one person flush a toilet while you are in. Washroom upstairs is old and the tub is permanently stained. It is a Jacuzzi but a real cheap one. Downstairs the washroom seemed new and well done. It was sparse but met the need.

Air Conditioning: When a place says air conditioned at four stars you'd think it was... all of it. This place has two cheapo units, one in the living room and one in a bedroom. The LR one does an ok job for the size of the room but the dining area, kitchen and halls just bake. The bedroom one had to be turned off several times due to icing as it's likely ten years old or more. With five bedrooms you can expect a fight to see who gets the room that they won't swelter in.

Service: The owners/ managers are a rather forward bunch but overall polite. The maids though did little beyond dropping and collecting towels. For the money, I'd figured a proper cleaning each day would be in order.

In conclusion, I felt the huge chunk of money we laid down for this place, along with it's supposed four star rating should have gotten us more. I would steer a person away from this place in a heartbeat.

If you are thinking of Anne's, stick to the regular cottages. The place has a nice pool, sauna and 8 person Jacuzzi, along with games center. The cottages themselves are dated and less than air conditioned but miles better than the five bed house.

Room Tip: Pick a regular cottage. If you like a personal Jacuzzi, go with one of those.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doc D
awp2888, Owner at Anne's Windy Poplars, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
It is unfortunate Doc D chose not to comment on the positive aspects of the 5 bedroom house. The purpose of this facility is not to compete with the 4 star cottages but to provide low price accommodations for 2 families on a tight travel budget. The rates are based on an occupancy of 10 people. The August weekly rate is $2205.00 which based on 10 people is $221.00 per person for the week or $32.00 per day. The 5 bedroom house was booked 94% of the time this summer which shows how popular it is. It has 8 beds, 2 full baths, a TV on each level including a new 42" LG flat screen which had 70 channels in August but since we have gone digital, we now have 100's of channels to choose from. The house has a fresh air system as well as a dehumidifier in the lower level. There is lots of closet space, a large fridge for food for 10 people, dishwasher, garden doors leading to a large deck with 2 gas BBQs. This facility is situated on a large private lot with parking for 4 vehicles. Recent improvements are all new vinyl windows, new washer and dryer in the laundry room as well as a new domestic hot water system. Ongoing improvements before next tourism season will include new furniture as well as high quality pillow top beds on the main level.
Belleisle Creek, NB
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Booked 2 cottages for a party of 12, facilities were great. Staff was excellent, the owners provided great information and put together a golf package for us which we had not previously requested. Excellent time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends