I originally booked this because it was available (most others were filled) and relatively affordable.
Upon arrival, the outside of the building concerned me a bit. It looked like an apartment building or dormitory. But after registering, which was quick and efficient, we were VERY pleased with the motel itself.
They put us on the first floor as requested. Room was spacious, well appointed, clean and comfortable.
Our room had two full beds; two leather side chairs; a table; dresser; refrigerator (no microwave); desk with chair; and flat screen TV. Wi-fi worked well with both laptop and iPhone. Linens were clean and not heavily worn. Bed was comfortable. Pillows were tolerable as they are in most motels but nothing special. Carpeting was clean.
Bathroom was clean and well cared for. Both toilet and shower were separated from vanity area by a door.
No insects were seen and while my sense of smell is poor, my lady friend (who can be quite critical) says room was fresh, no odors.
Laundry room was a bit isolated at the bottom of stairs, lock. Opened with room key. I did a load and the machines were good, price reasonable. But let someone know you'll be on there. In an emergency, nobody will hear you because of its location in relation to the rest of the hotel.
Breakfast was excellent: scrambled eggs, sausage, fried potatoes, pancakes, selection of toast, bagels etc. milk, juices, coffee etc. The ladies who work the breakfast room are friendly, cheerful, helpful. And they are a lot of help too so don't forget to leave a dollar or two tip.
Desk staff, housekeeping and everyone else we dealt with we're friendly, helpful and efficient. We didn't use the pool so can't comment.
We've been on the road for over a month in both the U.S. and Canada from California to Winnipeg to Pittsburgh to Charlottetown and we've stayed in a ton of motels from many of the larger chains. This is once of the best in terms of the room, the breakfast (many are just cold, dry and not worth eating so I head for McDonalds). Needless to say, I recommend this place and would gladly stay here again.
I'm pretty well surprised but HoJo is alive and well in the hotel business.
As an additional observation, it seems to me that many people writing reviews of various places expect the amenities of a four/five star hotel...the ones costing $300 a night and up... In a $100/$125 motel. Can't happen, won't happen. We all have motel horror stories but for us, this WAS NOT ONE OF THEM. Had a GREAT stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are located in the quiet town of Cornwall, just 10 minutes from downtown Charlottetown and centrally located to the island's beautiful attractions. You are just 40 minutes drive to Anne's Land and 25 minutes to Victoria by the Sea, a beautiful fishing village. A lovely 2 hour drive to east and west end of island. We are family friendly with a large indoor pool/sauna, continental breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dutch Inn Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Charlottetown
- Charlottetown Howard Johnson