“Very Loud!”

Hostellerie Baie Bleue
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night for a romantic getaway. We were quite disappointed. We had reserved a "suite design," one of the more expensive rooms. When we arrived in our room, we felt right away that we had been ripped off. The room was basically two regular hotel rooms with a french door between. The fire place was the smallest I had ever seen. The bedroom had a exterior door, because that was never removed during the renovations. The bathroom was very small and old. The bed was also quite uncomfortable. However the worst part was you could hear every footstep that was made in the rooms above us, as well as the conversations that were being had, every time the toilet was flush, or water was being run. We were on the ground floor, so I don't know if the rooms on the second floor might be more quiet.

Room Tip: not the pavillion Carleton
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian G
There are newer reviews for Hostellerie Baie Bleue

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Resaurant too expensive, room very expensive forget this place, many other hotel around offer better price. Seafood is expensive but it suppose to be local. Try to look around there is many hotel at better price.

Room Tip: Look around there is many hotel or motel with better price.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pauly L
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Don`t believe every comment you read about this place ,yes it`s a litlle expensive but it`s the season and every place is full ,perfect place to stay for the Maximum Blues Festival, walk in distance. Exclent food at the restaurant ,rooms are very clean Bathroom need more lights and a lighter paint but it`s ok and staff very friendly.So overall i recomend this to anybody.

Room Tip: Stay on ground level close to the loby ,room 30 or 31 excelent pick.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We wanted a place to stop at between Percé and Saint-Andrews and that hotel looked good on their web site. What a disaapointment. For $175 (with taxes), you get a "glorified" cheap motel room. Extremely small with an air conditioning unit in the window that couldn't cool down our room and was very noisy. They claim they have "free wi-fi" in the rooms!! It is true but it was slower than the old dial-up connections we had ages ago! We were on the ground floor and had to share a bench with the room next door. All-in-all, avoid this place. Drive an extra hour and stop in Campbelton, NB instead.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The service was very good when we arrived.
I can tell the room we were in was updated. I had nicer places but not bad. Air conditioning was good, clean, comfortable beds. My only complaint is that the balcony is in DIRE need of painting and no refrigerator in the room. We were in room 38 on the second floor.
There were no ice buckets in the room but when I asked down at the receptionist, they gave me as much as I wanted in an ice bucket so sometimes we just need to ask.
We took the breakfast and supper package and were impressed by the food. Top quality and very high end. The service was very slow for the older couple we were traveling with. It took 30 minutes for the waitress to come and take our order. We paid $52.00 for it each with tip included even though the waitress was not shy to tell us that there were no tip on the drinks.
The hotel we were told has existed for 60 years so it makes sense that some renovations need to be done to keep it up to par.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Firstly, the other reviews will seem to be much more critical and much less complimentary. I am not sure if others actually stayed at the same hotel.

The Baie-Bleue is a combination Hotel, motel, and convention center. There are small and large meeting rooms, and the place seemed busy and popular, even in early March when I stayed there. I was there with four other co-workers on a weeklong business trip in the area.

Checkin was quick and efficient, the desk clerks throughout our stay were more than accomodating. We were given rooms on the 3d and top floor of the main building, facing the Baie des Chaleurs. The water view was nice, and must be spectacular in the summertime.
The room was basic, but all ammenities were of quality. The room had a good sized small fridge, desk, two lounge chairs, and a combination closet-dresser. The only thing that was lacking was a microwave oven, which I find in most good hotel rooms.
The bed was very comfortable, above average. Maid service was done a little later in the day (very early aft). Thw washroom was adequate, water pressure was great, though a new shower head was due in my room.

Maybe the hotel has had a refurbishment of the rooms, as I found none of the negatives mentioned in earlier reviews. The carpet was newer and clean. The room smelled clean as well. The heater and thermostat worked well, and there looked like a new air conditioning unit installed, though we certainly didn't need it in March.

Finally, the pub downstairs was terrific. The menu was varied with everything from steak, to Fajitas, to Smoked Meat sandwiches, to seafood to pizza and burgers. The steak was excellent, as were the Fajita plate. Only the pasta dishes were less than satisfying in the size of the plate. All the locals around Carleton said it was the best pub food in town. We ate there most nights, as the food was good and we didn't feel the need to seek out other eateries. Prices were slightly higher than other places, but the quality and freshness more than made up for it. Don't hesitate to eat there.

All in all, a wonderful 6 day stay, no complaints. I would stay here agin without question.

Room Tip: 3d floor room in the main building are clean, modern, and have a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ATidalBore
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Basic room, small flatscreen TV. $110 for my 'business' class room. I set the Themostat to 30 degrees celsius and 24 hours later the room went from 20 to 24 degrees. There is a large noisy AC in the room, so summer would be OK, but freezing in the winter. I enjoy the Pub St Francis downstairs, a restaurant with a good variety of pub fare. The front desk was kind enough to switch my room to ensure my comfort, but the next room never passed 23 degrees on a cold winter day either. Good value however.There is no spa, so I've rated it 'average'.
This is a gorgeous little lakeside town, very vibrant in the summer, dead in the winter except for snowmobilers.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carleton-sur-Mer
Hotel Le Manoir Belle Plage
#6 of 11 in Carleton-sur-Mer
Gite des Oiseaux Migrateurs
Gite des Oiseaux Migrateurs
#4 of 11 in Carleton-sur-Mer

Been to Hostellerie Baie Bleue? Share your experiences!