“NOTHING TO DO WITH SNOW/”
Review of Owl's Head

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mansonville
Owl's Head
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mansonville
Alliston, Canada
“NOTHING TO DO WITH SNOW/”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Golden Rule Lodge hosts a meeting at the top of mountain. You must be a Mason to attend. This day June 21st 2014 will be one of my cherished memories. I have been eligible to attend for 47 years and this year we made it happen and I'm grateful for my friends who joined me on this trip. The longest day of the year on top of the mountain in perfect weather. This event has been going for 158 years and now I know why. We had breakfast in Mansonville complete with "Creton" which gave us energy to climb the hill, but don't tell my cardiologist.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Woodbridge, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My buddies and I recently visited Owl's Head during our recent ski trip to the Eastern Townships.

Spring skiing for the end of March was fantastic with February-like conditions. To top things off we had 8cm of snow on the day that we were there.

Due to their limited acreage, would recommend that you ski only for a day before moving on. The lift tickets are more than reasonable and you get amazing vistas from the top of the hill.

As we stayed in Magog, I can't comment on the lodge.

Also, make sure that you try their chili for lunch.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Moondoggie317
toronto
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Good: the food at the restaurant was very good. The views are stunning. The skiing was decent.

Bad: we stayed at the hotel room #214. Condo is fairly nice at first but then you realize it's not that great. There's a dead bug on the ceiling. Dead bugs behind the sofa (I took pictures). The fireplace? It's an electrical unit that does pretty flames and doesn't heat at all. Free WIFI? Not in room 214. Signal is too weak. I'm writing this in their lounge right now. Wifi is just a crappy antenna near the lounge in the 2nd floor atrium which the sofa there is missing a cushion. Want to sit on metal framework? Not enough parking, I had to park in the street. Roads not cleared; I couldn't climb panorama road to get to the restaurant on the first day. I have fwd car with snow tires. Make sure sure you use an awd SUV! We were over billed for our stay. They double billed us for our 3rd day lift tickets which we agreed upon when we reserved. I had to chase down Audrey in the main chalet to get the tickets after the hotel staff failed to "handle it" as they promised they would for 2 days. Employees are clueless and can't even fess up to making a mistake. Worse yet? They don't even try to fix their mistakes. We brought along a half bag of Chinese noodles to cook for lunch (condos have nice kitchens) which I left on the counter. Housekeeping threw it out. Who throws out a bag with 4 portions of noodles on the kitchen counter? Stupid. Like I said before: they didn't fess up or try to fix it! Skiing is nice for intermediate and expert skiers. My wife is beginner and says this is worse she's ever skied on. Chouette and Cindy's slip are not flat enough for beginners nor are they groomed properly. We were first on hill at 8:30 and beginner's slopes were awful. So if you're a beginner, ski somewhere else. If you're advanced, ski here but don't stay overnight. Not at the hotel and I hear the "auberge" (main chalet) is even older and worse (see other reviews).

I'm never coming back here!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank zeuserx

Travellers are raving about these Mansonville hotels

Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed at the ski in ski out hotel for 4 consecutive years for a week to 3week periods. The hotel was handy to the ski slope and it was nice to have a kitchen in our apartment as we like to do our own cooking. The apartment however was in dire need of improvements. The carpeting was worn out and the whole place needed a lot of things done. Painting Etc.They have a hot tub in the basement in a dreary depressing room, the last time we were there the electrical breaker for the heater kept tripping so the tub was never very warm. While we were there we got a snow storm that dropped over 2 feet of snow on the resort, great for the skiing but they made no effort to plow out the parking lot. Everyone srtuggeld
trying to get out of the parking area. The final straw was the housekeeping. It was a discrace and my wife refused to go back. I hope things have improved as we would like to go back.
I was told that the owner Fred Korman throws nickels around like manhole covers

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snowman38
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 March 2013

First the good things. The view...beautiful. The ski mountain very nice, and the staff very friendly and professional. Now the harsh reality. This hotel is straight out of the 1950's and built at a time when there must have been zero building codes. Walls as thin as paper. A sixty pound girl walking down the hall sounds like a 600 pound gorilla. No tv's, no phones, not much of anything really, and the bathrooms are perfect design if your 4'11" and a gymnist. Let's just say i was all set to spend a couple nights here but after one I had all I could handle. I promise you, upgrade and I'll come back to try again otherwise the only owl head I'll ever see again will be in the zoo.

Room Tip: You would have more peace and quiet sleeping in your car then you would trying to bag some z's i...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jonathan E
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We were happy to try out this resort as one of the many the Eastern Townships has to offer. If you're looking for a splashy ski resort, this isn't it. But it has an unpretentious, family-friendly feel - good terrain, and was a very enjoyable way to pass the afternoon. The views of the lake below are reminiscent of skiing at Le Massif, and the terrain is varied with a good mix of steep cruisers and several mogul options. The main chairlift is a cushy high-speed quad, but the rest of their lift system needs a bit of updating (e.g. throw some foam over those cold, hard plastic rails, please!). That being said - we didn't wait more than a minute to get on any of the chairs on a Sunday of March break in Quebec (!) The glades need to be thinned out a bit to become friendlier and more ski-able. The lodge/cafeteria was full of families who had packed their own lunches, which is always a nice feel to know you don't need to spend $$$ for cafeteria food. It was nice to be at a humble resort that was all about skiing and didn't feel like you were walking into commercialized Disneyland....! We stayed a short drive away in Cowansville, so can't comment on any accommodation options in town.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate M
Montreal
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is a unique ski slope. At 1700 foot vertical, it is a decent hill. What is remarkable is the view as you ski - it's like looking at God. One of my favourite places to ski in Quebec.
The hotel is not expensive, but is tired and needs a freshening.
The table d'hote at the restaurant is good value tho not a 4 star experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fstein
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mansonville
Hotel Chateau-Bromont
Horizon Hotel
Horizon Hotel
#5 of 6 in Sutton
Jay Peak Resort

Been to Owl's Head? Share your experiences!