“Fabulous location for wedding”

Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
hamilton
“Fabulous location for wedding”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just back from my sons wedding which he and his wonderful bride wanted to celebrate at Chateau Montebello this weekend. Everything about this hotel ... From the wedding planner (Isabelle) to the food to activities for guests ( fishing, shooting, golf, hiking, bear watching etc) made this a fantastic experience. I would highly recommend Chateau Montebello for a wedding or get-away a-holiday. This was our third visit there .. It just seems to get better!

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little extra for the larger rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank traveliciousHamilton
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
traveliciousHamilton, thank you for your fantastic feedback! You are right, to have a wedding along Ottawa River in one of our outdoor Gazebo, then to celebrate this wonderful moment in one of our magnificent ballroom or in the fantastic golf club house makes it the best wedding destination for sure!

And as you are saying, we also offer much more to all of our guests!

Thank you for your review, and I will gladly share your feedback with Isabelle and the team!

Geneviève

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Toronto
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The trip to Chateau Montebello provides an interesting contrast, and a bit of a corundum for a traveller. On the one hand, this is an incredible property: a super-large log cabin, with hundreds of rooms, and feels like you are in something very special and unique. On the other hand, given the age of the property, don't expect modern bathrooms and air conditioning. So, if you are thinking that you need the typical ultra modern facility, this is not for you. But, if you can put this aside, you will be pleasantly surprised. The hotel's grounds and facilities exceed anything that you could imagine for a vacation, with indoor and outdoor pools, etc. I will not even attempt to give you all of the details. We ate in the restaurant as well as the outdoor BBQ. The food was not inspiring, but hard to fault for quantity or quality. The servers went out of their way to be helpful and the water view made for a leisurely meal. So, in all, the deficits were minimized by the service and activity options. Conclusion: a great escape.

Room Tip: Corner/end rooms are the largest with views on two sides.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lawrence2300
Dear Lawrence2300,

I sincerely appreciate your very honest feedback! I am glad to report that room renovations and air conditioning upgrades are in the plan for coming years' renovations. This will sure add some comfort for our guests.

Our corner rooms are called Signature rooms, and with 3 sets of windows, larger room and magnificent view, they are our best option.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

July 12, 2013 visit

Once a grand hotel i'm sure. Must be a costly property to keep in top shape. Pool was closed and not mentioned at time of booking or check in. We found out when we went to swim.
Our room was adequate for $187

The issue we had was a meal for 2 adults and 2 children....$250 and it wasn't worth $100.... a buffet BBQ on the patio ... We tried to speak several times to management and were passed from dining room manager to hotel manager ... promises to call back never occurred. We gave up and as a result we will not return. We will reconsider any Fairmont property next time...

Clearly customer service is not a priority at this hotel.

3 Thank dave c
Thank you dave c for your honest feedback. I am sincerely saddened to hear that you have been disappointed. I would be pleased to learn how you did confirm your reservation, as we have published since last January that our indoor pool would be closed for a few days in July, and I feel we miss out when our guests are not made aware, despite the fact that we have put this message in most of the external reservation sites as well. If you could please let me know by contacting me directly at genevieve.dumas@fairmont.com, this would ensure that we correct such mistakes for the future.

It is also surprising that no-one has reported me that you were looking for a management response. I do respond to all guests personally or with the assistance of my Guest Service Director, so I am sorry that this message did not reach us.

Please let me know if you do come back to the Château Montebello, and I will personally ensure that we take good care of you.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Yes, the grounds consist of a veritable botanical garden, the wood logs in the lobby and over the swimming pool are impressive but it doesn't change the fact that my kids found it boring while I found it to be well below the usually high standards of Fairmont hotels.
Upon getting into the room we found a problem which we promptly reported to the front desk, they assured us someone would be there within 5 minutes. We called three times within 4 hours and finally had to hunt down a maintenance person(who informed us that no one alerted him to our problem).
Also, our AC blew freezing cold or hot air, but nothing in the middle. The alarm clock radio was ancient, it flashed the wrong hour and was impossible to reset.
When walking the halls of this hotel, you notice that the walls had a spongy feel to them, that's because there are dozens of coats of paints underneath the current one.
This place is old and it looks it. It reminded me of an old borsht belt Catskills hotel, except that this one is still in business. The hotel is located in the middle of nowhere (far from the beautiful Laurentian mountains), the town of Montebello consists of two restaurants, a church and a post office, so you have to try to have fun on hotel grounds.
The indoor pool is good but is not a fun kids pool since 80% of its surface is deep end(6ft+). The biking on the grounds can be accomplished in 35 minutes. The kids did enjoy the pay per use mini put. The hotel is on a river, not a lake, so there are no water activities. Don't bring your kids here. If they want to see a big log cabin, take them to Great Wolf Lodge.
Breakfast buffet expensive and not very good. They don't offer bagels but they DO offer baked beans.
From talking to quebecois friends, staying at this hotel is a sign that a person has entered the ranks of the establishment, for those of us who simply want a nice hotel that's not in the middle of nowhere, there are many nicer options.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank DoubleDouble1
Toonca9564, thank you for your review,

I must say I am saddened to read your review, but you are aloud your opinion of course! Yes, it is an 83 years old property, so all is not perfect, but we constantly ensure our maintenance and capital planning is addressing the major concerns. We are now planning for complete room and corridor renovations as well as changing all AC units, so this will improve our guests’ comfort.

I am really concerned that your kids found our property boring: we do have so many activities on site, from ATV to horseback riding, mini-putt, volleyball, but also a daily activity schedule for all ages, which most are absolutely free, so I don't know what else we could offer for the kids not to be bored!

I do appreciate your feedback about the maintenance issue. It is absolutely not acceptable to have to ask again to have an engineer to correct an issue, and it is not reflective of our standards. I am sorry about that.

Again, thank you for your feedback, sincerely,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here with my kids in July 2013 for one night as we bought the Tuango deal. It was a great stay. This hotel, you can't quite compare to the other Fairmont hotels. It is not as luxurious and fancy. It really is an old massive cabin with a lot of history. It is beautiful and warm for what it is. The service overall at this hotel is worthy of the name Fairmont. 5 stars.

When you first come in, you get an odd smell but that is the smell of the old wood structure and you quickly get used to it and stop noticing it. Monte, the hotel dog, has his nice bed and dog house in the lobby. A very well behaved dog considering all the kids were all over him non stop. You can even reserve a walk with Monte on the hotel grounds at the front desk.

Check-in was good, I had requested early check-in and arrived at the hotel at 12:30 but my room was not ready until 2pm. Not a problem, they took our bags and told us to enjoy the grounds and they would call me when ready. The grounds here are beautiful and well maintained. This big log cabin is situated right on the river and has a marina, many trails, beautiful greenery and flower beds, benches along the river, a few gazebos, a very nice outdoor pool and indoor pool, etc. Many activities offered on thr grounds such as crocket, mini
golf, electronic cars relay, tennis, pools, zoomba at the pool, horseback riding, bicycle rental, kids structure, etc. The kids structure and mini golf are quite old and should be updated honestly but the kids still had fun with them.

We spent 1/2 day at the outdoor pool. They give you nice towels at the cabana near the entrance and have a cold water distributor and glasses there as well. The lounges have numbered flags you can raise on them to get drinks and food service. They have very nice waiters going around and taking your order and bringing it right to your lounger. They make fabulous mango daiquiris! The pool has a lifeguard on duty during pool opening hours. Lots of noodles, surf boards, beach balls to play in the pool. The deeper end is 2m.

The food is very good. There were different options. We could make reservation to the outdoor BBQ or the dining room for dinner or eat at the bistro. The BBQ have themes and it was Europe that evening. Everything on the menu looked good but my kids are quite picky so we decided to have dinner in the dining room. I had the 4 services meal and my kids decidedon the kids buffet. WE ate like kings and queens. There was a wonderful dessert buffet as well that both my kids and I were entitled to. Service by our waitress named Katia was top notch.

The buffet breakfast was sooo delicious in the main dining room. July was kids month at the hotel and their buffet was free if the adults had the buffet as well. Freshly sqeezed orange juice and many others too. Smoke salmon, eggs station, sausages, bacon, selection of bread, muffins, bagels, danishes, pastries, croissants, cheeses, yogurts, compotes, crepes, fruits and so much more.

Lunch was available at the bistro, the main dining room and outside at the igloo snack bar. We opted to go to town to a casse-croute. The food was not overly pricey here considering the quality and service and that it is Fairmont.

Rooms were good. Again, it is an old log home so the doors didn't close well and it was abit dark but that is part of the charm of this place. We were very comfortable in our room but the we had the unfortunate luck to be located beside a family with a baby that screamed all night long. It was loud so the walls seemed to be paper thin. Bring ear plugs.

Service all over the hotel was top notch with the exception of the waiter at the morning breakfast that never cleared our table so we had quite a bit of empty plates staked up by the end of the meal. It was not very busy either but he was occupied chatting with another client most of our meal. I think though that the staff at the entrance and valet parking guys were excellent and went over and beyond. Always with a smile.

Thanks for a very pleasant stay! I will mot definitely return next summer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Nadma, simply... Wow! Thank you for your kind feedback! You describe so well all that Montebello has to offer. It is a real pleasure to read!

We sure look forward seeing you again next year! Sincerely,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Eight children (ages 2/12-10yrs) along with seven parents and a grandmother decided to enjoy a luxury overnight here. And enjoy we did! This beautiful log hotel is so unique and magnificent.We had 3 deluxe rooms overlooking the St. Lawrence River for each family of 5 and one room for Gramma Jane.The rooms were spacious and clean; the food was delicious beyond belief. The BBQ well worth the price which included discounts from our package as well as no charge for under 6yrs as well as -50% for 12 and under.The activities were many for the little ones including croquet (nc)and miniput small charge.Tennis was free with small charge for racquet rentals if needed.The grounds were magnificent and provided lots of room for the children to run.The outdoor and indoor pools are spectacular!We also had a horseback ride with the little ones being led around the paddock. Great picture time!
I cannot say enough about this historic and beautiful property.PS They even have 'Monty' there to greet you. I won't tell you who Monty is..you will have to visit and find out for yourself!

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the ground floor near the exit to the outside. Easy access for families to exit an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you grammajane2013 for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us! This is exactly what we love to hear!

I hope to see you and your family again, sincerely,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We went there to visit friends who were staying at the hotel. We had a lunch and a dinner at the bistro buffet restaurant. The food was average if not below but the service was much below average. We had the buffet salad lunch inside. You could have as much as in any Chinese buffet in Quebec for more than triple the price. The dinner in the open area was worse and more expensive for what we ate. Flies were everywhere, on our plates and around our head. We asked the waiter to bring a repellent candle; the answer was he didn't know if they had some in stock! He came back with one when we had finished our dinner. To pay the bill, I had to get up and whisper in his ear after waiting for 20 minutes seeing him chat with clients sitting at another table. Wine prices are four times the price of same wine at SAQ plus 30% tax and tips.

Room Tip: Simply don't eat there.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank boroushan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#5 of 5 in Montebello
Le Petit Chateau
Le Petit Chateau
#3 of 5 in Montebello

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!