“fairmont, don't blow it”

Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just came back from a wonderful stay. We found out the hotel is for sale which, as far as I understand, means Fairmont will remain as the brand but not as the owner. I fear changes could sanitize this amazing experience. My advise to you, Fairmont: You have a property here that could not be reproduced in our time. The building is an historic gem.....an alluring, haunting marriage between Davey Crockett and Hogwarts. Be careful in your approach to renovation. The furniture in the rooms and the lobby charmed me and as I gazed out over the central fireplace from the 2nd floor, I over-layed the standard corporate remodel. Please use good judgement and a respect for history, not for the Purell generation. The indoor pool was as much a spiritual experience as the common space in the hotel. We loved every approach, so far, to your respect for this space. The staff, as well, was lovely and accommodating. Thank you, Sandy, at the front desk! My only complaint is in regard to the food and the prices. The "barbeque" (think Canadian style, not American) was an amazing extravaganza of grilled everything and, yes, totally worth it. However, beware this is only offered every other night and only in warm weather. We put in a reservation before we arrived, only to be told it was not available the night we came. We were auto-shifted instead to the most expensive dining option which we had planned to do without the kids. It was good but made you think twice about the price. The lunch meals by the pool ( the only lunch offered) are seriously mediocre. Another price shocker: forgot my sunscreen so went to the convenience store on first floor to find only one brand available (8 ounces of banana boat sport) for $25 canadian dollars. (My family and I made jokes for three days about how I must have translated it into rupees or pfennigs in my head as I held it in front of the store owner, incredulous. No, I didn't buy it, found something more reasonable in their golf shop). The hotel does need some serious retail facelifting. Even the gift shop was sadly in poor taste, basically for women and completely missing the cue to offer woodsy, red plaid coziness. Nonetheless, I loved this place and am keeping my fingers crossed that the next time I come, I will still be transported to another era (the past) without the prices of another era (the future).

Room Tip: Don't expect a view. On the other hand, we didn't really care because we wanted to spend our...
1  Thank 56nash
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you 56nash for your review! It is great to read... I want to mention that our hotel, like most of the Fairmont's, are third party owned already. Our owner, Oxford properties group, is a fantastic owner but this asset would benefit more to an owner that has the ability to develop the unused lands (the hundreds of acres!) but it is not in Oxford's business plan. I am positive there is a potential owner that will acquire this property and love it as much as we do and ensure of a great future to this historical and unique building.

I took good note of your comments on our gift shop. Our shops are rented, but we can still see how we can ensure they are providing great product at a decent price.

Thank you and looking forward to your return visit!

Geneviève

Write a ReviewReviews (2,111)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The ambiance of this proud chateau is so inviting that you may never want to leave. The rooms are a bit small and the baths smaller but the warmth from staff and structure never leave you. We found the room clean and neat. Check in was done via email so upon arrival all was ready.
Breakfast in room put the icing on the cake. Wish we could have stayed longer.
Maybe next time?!

2  Thank SweetSue28

Thank you SweetSue28 for your very nice comments! We sure look forward to your return visit as well. I see a picture of a dog on your profile: I hope you have met our canine ambassador Monte during your stay? He is our 4 years old Golden Retriever...

See you soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Although the grounds are lovely and carefully maintained and the architecture of the main lodge interesting, there is something "tired" about this place. On a midweek day in July, the main dining room was empty at lunch with the exception of my husband and I and another table. The hostess greeted us with one word: "Buffet?" and when we replied "No, a la carte", she did not reply and handed us two menus at the table where we sat. The waitress was polite enough and the cod special was ok but nothing to rave about. Again, the room was ok but musty and the bathroom very small. At dinner the same evening, not being terribly hungry, we opted to eat at the bar/bistro where the food was acceptable but the ambiance resembled the eating area at a Hampton Inn. In summary, the Chateau is after all a large log cabin but the impression we got is that is it somewhat past its prime and needs to seriously rethink its food options.

On a positive note, the front desk staff is exceptional in its manners and professionalism.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dora F

Dear Dora F, thank you very much for your constructive feedback. We are planning the next phase of renovation that will include a revamp of our rooms and an upgrade to our Bistro restaurant. We are also upgrading all A/C units which will help change the humidity of the hotel. We are for sure working on bringing back the pristine look of this amazing Château.

See you back soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

All our family enjoyed staying in this quirky swiss style black lodge. Great place for children as they have the freedom to wander, swim, canoe, play etc. etc. Rooms are cosy, with a solid highland feel. Gorgeous outdoor pool and view over the lake. Can't comment on the food as we dined out in Montebello at a great steak restaurant. Pricey, but a nice treat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Faith C for your review! We are so glad that you have enjoyed your stay. It is indeed a great family place...

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a nice gem of a place. The setting is beautiful, the hotel has an old chalet charm to it and it's location on the river is peaceful. I will definitely go back in the near future. Really great!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you Roxanne C for your comments! We definitely look forward to your return visit! Winter is also a wonderful time of the year to visit: much different, but as magical...

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had an overnight stay, mid week, at the Chateau late in July. We were upgraded at check in and provided exceptional service by valet and front desk. This being our second visit, we knew what to expect. The hotel has a rustic class to it.
The hotel was very busy with families, business people and boaters but this didn't take away from the hushed tone throughout the hotel.
The only reason why I did not give the chateau 5 stars is because of the service at the BBQ dinner. We arrived for our reservation on time, were seated and had to wait 15 just to be addressed! Having stayed at Fairmonts before, I know this is not normal practice. I appreciate it was busy, as I watched the manager set up more tables to accommodate more people, but a glass of water and a smile would have been appreciated. 30 mins after our arrival we finally had drinks in our hand and enjoyed a delicious meal!!
We will return to the Chateau but may reconsider our dinner reservation time.

Stayed: July 2014

mellychick, I really appreciate your kind and constructive review. Such comments are sincerely providing us with great feedback for our team. As you mention, a glass of water and a smile would have made a big difference, and it seems that the team was busy trying to solve the excess of guests, but it doesn't mean they have to forget our guests. Thank you for that, I appreciate it...

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I took our grandchildren (ages 6 and 9) to the Chateau Montebello on a special three day holiday package. The service prior during booking and throughout our stay was outstanding - courteous and helpful. The property is marvellous and the building(s) awe inspiring. There are lots of things to do for adults and children alike (pools, mini-golf, GPS hunts, scavenger hunts, walking, nearby Parc Omega (great visit for adults and children alike), etc. Our room was functional but small. We were offered an upgrade at a price. The food and service in the restaurants were excellent.

On the downside, this was a very pricey experience and my hand was constantly in my wallet for something. Although the kids' breakfast was included, ours was not and frankly I consider a $72 buffet breakfast for two, despite the quality of the food, to be expensive. Given the overall cost of the rooms and other meals, I would have expected breakfast to have been included.

The concession store in the hotel was nothing short of usurious. I stupidly forgot my camera so had to buy a disposable for almost $50. A can of bug spray cost $27!!

The bottom line is that I might consider returning to Chateau Montebello for a special event with my wife, but not with young children - the experience is wasted on them and not worth the price of admission.

1  Thank Michael B

Thank you Michael B for taking the time to write a review and I am glad that the experience was a great one. I am sorry about the exorbitant prices at the gift shop, and we are trying to let the owner know about the feedback as it is a third party owned store.

I thank you for your feedback!

Geneviève

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#2 of 2 in Montebello
Le Petit Chateau
Le Petit Chateau
#3 of 5 in Montebello

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!