“North Country Elegance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
hamilton
“North Country Elegance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Returned to Le Chateau after a terrific visit last year. The staff were attentive, the log cabin design of the Chateau relaxing, the pool and evening BBQ excellent. While a little "tired" in the rooms the over-all charm of this getaway makes up for it. Great golfing, fishing and shooting clay sports close by.

Room Tip: Ask for River view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear traveliciousHamilton,

I am delighted to see that you have had another great stay with us! It is very significant to see our guests coming back year after year. Unfortunately not many do write reviews, so I am very pleased that you have taken the time to write about your great stay this time again!

Mission accomplished! That is why we love our job...

Geneviève

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I went for lunch. We were disappointed that Le Riverain had little to no view, so we chose the terrace of the restaurant. The buffet was 32$ but we decided on a menu as 32$ it was not...but then the menu had little to no choices...we went for a burger and smoked meat sandwich...both were overpriced...the smoked meat was terrible and not on the usual rye or kaiser...just plain bread...the fries tasted like frozen fries...$55.00 for the two of us...now, if there was any kind of a view it might have been better...or if there was actually any kind of service...the waitress took 15 minutes to finally make it to our table...never asked if we wanted a drink...we had to ask...she was useless...we gave our order and 45 minutes later we got our sandwich and burger...we asked for mustard...never got it, so my husband ate the burger plain...the waitress walked by a dozen times but never once stopped to see if we wanted anything else, never remembered the missing mustard...it was another 45 minutes before we could get her back...never got asked if we wanted another drink...speaking of drinks...the water she started us with was luke warm...and it was an extremely not day...then we went to pay...they don't even have a credit card machine to bring...she wanted to take my card away...I said no...I'll take it to your machine...$55.00 for a burger and sandwich with fries...never left her one cent for a tip...so sad...we will NEVER return, nor recommend this place to anyone else!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Deseacay
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Deseacay, I am shocked by reading your review! I had to read it twice to ensure that it was indeed the right restaurant and hotel. I would definitely like to follow-up on this as it has absolutely nothing to do with our standards of service. I would be really appreciative if you could let me know who served you, or at least what day and some info on the server so I can do a good follow-up. You can write me in private at genevieve.dumas@fairmont.com.

Sorry about this experience and I look forward to your reply.

south of the border
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just came back from a wonderful stay. We found out the hotel is for sale which, as far as I understand, means Fairmont will remain as the brand but not as the owner. I fear changes could sanitize this amazing experience. My advise to you, Fairmont: You have a property here that could not be reproduced in our time. The building is an historic gem.....an alluring, haunting marriage between Davey Crockett and Hogwarts. Be careful in your approach to renovation. The furniture in the rooms and the lobby charmed me and as I gazed out over the central fireplace from the 2nd floor, I over-layed the standard corporate remodel. Please use good judgement and a respect for history, not for the Purell generation. The indoor pool was as much a spiritual experience as the common space in the hotel. We loved every approach, so far, to your respect for this space. The staff, as well, was lovely and accommodating. Thank you, Sandy, at the front desk! My only complaint is in regard to the food and the prices. The "barbeque" (think Canadian style, not American) was an amazing extravaganza of grilled everything and, yes, totally worth it. However, beware this is only offered every other night and only in warm weather. We put in a reservation before we arrived, only to be told it was not available the night we came. We were auto-shifted instead to the most expensive dining option which we had planned to do without the kids. It was good but made you think twice about the price. The lunch meals by the pool ( the only lunch offered) are seriously mediocre. Another price shocker: forgot my sunscreen so went to the convenience store on first floor to find only one brand available (8 ounces of banana boat sport) for $25 canadian dollars. (My family and I made jokes for three days about how I must have translated it into rupees or pfennigs in my head as I held it in front of the store owner, incredulous. No, I didn't buy it, found something more reasonable in their golf shop). The hotel does need some serious retail facelifting. Even the gift shop was sadly in poor taste, basically for women and completely missing the cue to offer woodsy, red plaid coziness. Nonetheless, I loved this place and am keeping my fingers crossed that the next time I come, I will still be transported to another era (the past) without the prices of another era (the future).

Room Tip: Don't expect a view. On the other hand, we didn't really care because we wanted to spend our...
      Rooms
1 Thank 56nash
Thank you 56nash for your review! It is great to read... I want to mention that our hotel, like most of the Fairmont's, are third party owned already. Our owner, Oxford properties group, is a fantastic owner but this asset would benefit more to an owner that has the ability to develop the unused lands (the hundreds of acres!) but it is not in Oxford's business plan. I am positive there is a potential owner that will acquire this property and love it as much as we do and ensure of a great future to this historical and unique building.

I took good note of your comments on our gift shop. Our shops are rented, but we can still see how we can ensure they are providing great product at a decent price.

Thank you and looking forward to your return visit!

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The ambiance of this proud chateau is so inviting that you may never want to leave. The rooms are a bit small and the baths smaller but the warmth from staff and structure never leave you. We found the room clean and neat. Check in was done via email so upon arrival all was ready.
Breakfast in room put the icing on the cake. Wish we could have stayed longer.
Maybe next time?!

2 Thank SweetSue28
Thank you SweetSue28 for your very nice comments! We sure look forward to your return visit as well. I see a picture of a dog on your profile: I hope you have met our canine ambassador Monte during your stay? He is our 4 years old Golden Retriever...

See you soon!

Rye, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Although the grounds are lovely and carefully maintained and the architecture of the main lodge interesting, there is something "tired" about this place. On a midweek day in July, the main dining room was empty at lunch with the exception of my husband and I and another table. The hostess greeted us with one word: "Buffet?" and when we replied "No, a la carte", she did not reply and handed us two menus at the table where we sat. The waitress was polite enough and the cod special was ok but nothing to rave about. Again, the room was ok but musty and the bathroom very small. At dinner the same evening, not being terribly hungry, we opted to eat at the bar/bistro where the food was acceptable but the ambiance resembled the eating area at a Hampton Inn. In summary, the Chateau is after all a large log cabin but the impression we got is that is it somewhat past its prime and needs to seriously rethink its food options.

On a positive note, the front desk staff is exceptional in its manners and professionalism.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dora F
Dear Dora F, thank you very much for your constructive feedback. We are planning the next phase of renovation that will include a revamp of our rooms and an upgrade to our Bistro restaurant. We are also upgrading all A/C units which will help change the humidity of the hotel. We are for sure working on bringing back the pristine look of this amazing Château.

See you back soon!

Stone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

All our family enjoyed staying in this quirky swiss style black lodge. Great place for children as they have the freedom to wander, swim, canoe, play etc. etc. Rooms are cosy, with a solid highland feel. Gorgeous outdoor pool and view over the lake. Can't comment on the food as we dined out in Montebello at a great steak restaurant. Pricey, but a nice treat.

Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Faith C for your review! We are so glad that you have enjoyed your stay. It is indeed a great family place...

Waterloo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a nice gem of a place. The setting is beautiful, the hotel has an old chalet charm to it and it's location on the river is peaceful. I will definitely go back in the near future. Really great!

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you Roxanne C for your comments! We definitely look forward to your return visit! Winter is also a wonderful time of the year to visit: much different, but as magical...

Geneviève
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#2 of 5 in Montebello
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawkesbury

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!