Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Motel Bel Eau(Montebello)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$81
Eco Spa Highland(Grenville-sur-la-Rouge)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$125
US$121
TripAdvisor
2,258 results
All reviewschateau montebelloindoor poollog cabinhorseback ridingottawa riversided fireplaceoutdoor activitiesmain lobbygrounds are beautifulcross country skiingwinter activitiesresort feecrepesone of a kindmini golfmarch breakoutdoor bbq
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

From the friendly check in experience to the excellent service throughout the hotel everything is top-notch. The Sunday brunch is a true culinary experience. The apple stuffed crepes with maple syrup are incredible. The cheese table alone is a meal in itself. The pool is very well maintained and clean.The tunnel to it from the hotel is fun. I highly recommend the dog sledding.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew W
Reviewed 5 August 2014

i visited the hotel and it was just great!
if you had nothing to do you could go down to the activity lobby and ask for things to do, i did the clay shooting and lake fidhing where both of them were great!
the hotel was very beutiful and thee rooms were clean.
the breakfast wasnt very special and needed creativity.
but overall the hotel was a very nice experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Eliasisaksson, great to receive reviews from Belgium guests! We are thankful for your visit with us, and thank you for taking the time to write about it! We hope that your entire stay in Canada was a pleasant one!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Returned to Le Chateau after a terrific visit last year. The staff were attentive, the log cabin design of the Chateau relaxing, the pool and evening BBQ excellent. While a little "tired" in the rooms the over-all charm of this getaway makes up for it. Great golfing, fishing and shooting clay sports close by.

Room Tip: Ask for River view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear traveliciousHamilton,

I am delighted to see that you have had another great stay with us! It is very significant to see our guests coming back year after year. Unfortunately not many do write reviews, so I am very pleased that you have taken the time to write about your great stay this time again!

Mission accomplished! That is why we love our job...

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I went for lunch. We were disappointed that Le Riverain had little to no view, so we chose the terrace of the restaurant. The buffet was 32$ but we decided on a menu as 32$ it was not...but then the menu had little to no choices...we went for a burger and smoked meat sandwich...both were overpriced...the smoked meat was terrible and not on the usual rye or kaiser...just plain bread...the fries tasted like frozen fries...$55.00 for the two of us...now, if there was any kind of a view it might have been better...or if there was actually any kind of service...the waitress took 15 minutes to finally make it to our table...never asked if we wanted a drink...we had to ask...she was useless...we gave our order and 45 minutes later we got our sandwich and burger...we asked for mustard...never got it, so my husband ate the burger plain...the waitress walked by a dozen times but never once stopped to see if we wanted anything else, never remembered the missing mustard...it was another 45 minutes before we could get her back...never got asked if we wanted another drink...speaking of drinks...the water she started us with was luke warm...and it was an extremely not day...then we went to pay...they don't even have a credit card machine to bring...she wanted to take my card away...I said no...I'll take it to your machine...$55.00 for a burger and sandwich with fries...never left her one cent for a tip...so sad...we will NEVER return, nor recommend this place to anyone else!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Deseacay
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Deseacay, I am shocked by reading your review! I had to read it twice to ensure that it was indeed the right restaurant and hotel. I would definitely like to follow-up on this as it has absolutely nothing to do with our standards of service. I would be really appreciative if you could let me know who served you, or at least what day and some info on the server so I can do a good follow-up. You can write me in private at genevieve.dumas@fairmont.com.

Sorry about this experience and I look forward to your reply.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just came back from a wonderful stay. We found out the hotel is for sale which, as far as I understand, means Fairmont will remain as the brand but not as the owner. I fear changes could sanitize this amazing experience. My advise to you, Fairmont: You have a property here that could not be reproduced in our time. The building is an historic gem.....an alluring, haunting marriage between Davey Crockett and Hogwarts. Be careful in your approach to renovation. The furniture in the rooms and the lobby charmed me and as I gazed out over the central fireplace from the 2nd floor, I over-layed the standard corporate remodel. Please use good judgement and a respect for history, not for the Purell generation. The indoor pool was as much a spiritual experience as the common space in the hotel. We loved every approach, so far, to your respect for this space. The staff, as well, was lovely and accommodating. Thank you, Sandy, at the front desk! My only complaint is in regard to the food and the prices. The "barbeque" (think Canadian style, not American) was an amazing extravaganza of grilled everything and, yes, totally worth it. However, beware this is only offered every other night and only in warm weather. We put in a reservation before we arrived, only to be told it was not available the night we came. We were auto-shifted instead to the most expensive dining option which we had planned to do without the kids. It was good but made you think twice about the price. The lunch meals by the pool ( the only lunch offered) are seriously mediocre. Another price shocker: forgot my sunscreen so went to the convenience store on first floor to find only one brand available (8 ounces of banana boat sport) for $25 canadian dollars. (My family and I made jokes for three days about how I must have translated it into rupees or pfennigs in my head as I held it in front of the store owner, incredulous. No, I didn't buy it, found something more reasonable in their golf shop). The hotel does need some serious retail facelifting. Even the gift shop was sadly in poor taste, basically for women and completely missing the cue to offer woodsy, red plaid coziness. Nonetheless, I loved this place and am keeping my fingers crossed that the next time I come, I will still be transported to another era (the past) without the prices of another era (the future).

Room Tip: Don't expect a view. On the other hand, we didn't really care because we wanted to spend our time outside and the river views are dreamy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 56nash

Thank you 56nash for your review! It is great to read... I want to mention that our hotel, like most of the Fairmont's, are third party owned already. Our owner, Oxford properties group, is a fantastic owner but this asset would benefit more to an owner that has the ability to develop the unused lands (the hundreds of acres!) but it is not in Oxford's business plan. I am positive there is a potential owner that will acquire this property and love it as much as we do and ensure of a great future to this historical and unique building.

I took good note of your comments on our gift shop. Our shops are rented, but we can still see how we can ensure they are providing great product at a decent price.

Thank you and looking forward to your return visit!