“Family Holiday”

Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is set in lovely grounds right on the river.
However we had some of the worst service we experienced during our 3 week fly drive in Canada.
On arrival our bags were taken out of the car and we were asked our surname. I assumed so that they could deliver them to our room. After parking the car we checked in and went to our room. No bags in the room and after 15 minutes I went to see what was happening. The were still on a trolley near the entrance. After asking for our bags they were delivered 5 minutes later. The service at the BBQ was poor. First we had to attract someone to take our drinks order. 10 minutes we were still waiting for the drinks again had to attract someone to deliver our drinks. Now we got the drinks for myself and my wife but they forgot the drink for my daughter. En route to get the missing drink he was side tracked and we ended up with yet another wait for the missing drink.
After the BBQ we went into the hotel intending to get a drink. On approaching the bar in the main reception area we were told "Bar's closed". On apology and an indication where we could get a drink just "Bar's closed".
We had booked 3 single kayaks for an hour and received confirmation that this was booked. We went to the marina to start our 1 hour only to find they only have a total of 2 single kayaks. This is not a small hotel so only having 2 seems a bit limited.
We did experience good service at the hotel. Our meal in the bistro was very nice and reception staff were always very helpful. However the poor service we received from other members of staff are what we remember the most from this stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony M
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you Tony M for providing your feedback. I am very passionate about my hotel and always ensure we do a fantastic job taking care of all of our guests. I am sorry you did not experience the ultimate level of service from all our staff and with your feedback we will be able to use to improve our services. I appreciate this.

Geneviève

Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Excellent resort. Has activities for kids and adults (including horse back riding and free bicycle rental). Huge, exceptional indoor pool, and lovely outdoor pool.
Good restaurants including outdoor barbeque. Charming village. Great reading nooks by the fireplace in the lobby.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you krlal! What a pleasure to read your review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I recently spent four nights at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello. I use a walker and scooter but I found this historic hotel quite accessible. There is a ramp to the main lobby and at check-in, they suggested moving our room to the main floor - Papineau wing - which had an elevator to the basement level where both restaurants and the accessible washroom are located. Despite the rain I was able to travel by scooter to the indoor pool (there is a tunnel with steps which I did not try) and the lifeguard opened the door directly to the pool deck. There are a few steps with handrails down to the pool. Also one day my scooter required a new fuse and the maintenance staff arrived to lend me a screwdriver and assist with the repair. Most appreciated. Looking forward to a return visit and trying the outdoor pool too.

Room Tip: Hotel lobby in the middle and rooms in five? wings (like a wheel). Some may prefer to be at one end...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Jack C for sharing your comments! I am glad you have enjoyed our property and its accessibility! Also glad to hear our team could assist with tools!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

A very unique hotel. If you are looking for ultra modern this is not the place for you. If you want to get away from it all stroll the grounds or just sit back with a drink in the great hall this is it. Many great food options all of great quality and while we did not have a chance to try the BBQ it looked amazing.

Rooms are on the small size but will take you back to a time when things are less rushed. The whole hotel is mad up of cedar logs and you will find nothing like this anywhere else I'm sure.

I can hardly wait till we can return.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We visited the Chateau as part of a wedding celebration held on the grounds. What a gorgeous place it is. It is sited on the Ottawa River and the groundskeepers have made the exterior areas immaculate and colorful with lovely summer plantings.The inside is spectacular with exposed beams and the renowned fireplace - which must be incredible aglow in winter. We had a very nice-sized deluxe king room with 2 queens and a queen sofa bed. The bath is a bit small but - hey, everything needed was in there! The shower was lovely, actually. The beds and linens were divine, as expected. Everyone was very amenable to anyone needing assistance in any way. Service was quickly applied to any request. There are a few small shops in the lobby for souvenir hunters and lots of activities available. Our time was too limited because of the wedding but there appeared to be many attractive 'play options' available. We ate breakfast in the main dining room twice and both times, it was incredible. I wish I had a picture of the cinnamon raisin French toast that I had. I'd go back just for that!! The place is certainly not inexpensive but it's not Motel 6, either! Treat yourself!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms - pretty sure they would not allow it!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you vabchtraveler for your fantastic review! I am delighted to read it! Winter is magical as well...

We sure hopr to have the opportunity to welcome you again !

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Went there for dinner and took a tour of the grounds and hotel. I have never seen anything like it.It's huge! This place was built in the early 1930's as a private club-no expense's spared! It has everything a couple or family would need to keep them satisfied for an awesome vacation.
The place is absolutely beautiful. We ate in the restaurant to a five course meal and it was delicious. It's just perfect in every way.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Shortmom02, thank you for this lovely review! I will gladly share with my team!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

What a sight riding my bicycle onto a gorgeous Canadian property situated along a wide river and beautiful lake. And, there is the Chateau! A huge and beautifully architected Log Cabin. Grand! magnificent! Words can't describe the sight. Inside is the most Spectacular five-sided fireplace I've ever seen. Rising all the way; three stories up; it is unbelievable. Yes, there's a wine bar and bar menu available for an enjoyable tete-a-tete in the lobby are near the fireplace (the Lobby is huge!) with a nice hummus offering for us Vegans. And now, the food! (Do speak with the restaurant in advance -- they do know "Vegan" "gluten-free" etc). Each of my 2 dinners were specially prepared - Vegan - for me; and they were grand! Breakfast is a buffet - but do ask - they have a Vegan bread (I read the ingredients on the label); and will prepare Vegan items upon request. The service in restaurant is excellent, friendly; and they specially catered to my Vegan needs (suggestion: speak with the maitre d' to make sure what you mean by "Vegan" is consistent with your server's understanding, too). The property, itself, is wonderful and inviting. Do walk the trails; enjoy the waters and marina; hike the woods. And, also explore the nearby town of Montebello which is a short walk away (hint: take the path through the woods from property to town viewing the foliage etc). English is OK for communications but a bit of French goes a long ways with many of the staff. Please do visit - and for more than a day or two. Enjoy Vegan (yes, my carnivore companions said all was Superb, too); and all the resort has to offer. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Lake View (rooms are small but remember this is a 1930's resort). Do go! It...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
LeChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Lite T, it is a delight to read your review! I am so proud of working here when reading such review... I will gladly pass along your comments to our team, especially our culinary team. Your advice to mention food specifications ahead of time or when arriving at the restaurant is a good advice: our chefs are specially trained on various special dietary need and they are always pleased to prepare meal especially for each guest that requires.

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Geneviève

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Eco Spa Highland
#2 of 2 in Montebello
Le Petit Chateau
Le Petit Chateau
#3 of 5 in Montebello

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!