“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Forget everyone who complains about the cold! This was an amazing place to visit and the drinks were lovely. If you're the type of person who doesn't care about the discomfort, and is able to thrive on excitement alone, you will love this place.

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Bring WARM clothing and winter boots!! :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was too stupid to bring warm boots and a thick coat. I didn't stay over night (thank God).

It was tricky to find the right tour, but once we did, it was very informative. Lots of the rooms with special themes and sculptures, but the non-themed rooms are almost pointless. haha

There was a wedding going on, so we couldn't see the chapel. The lunch and ticket/tour package deal seem okay, but the food portions were pretty small.

Definitely cool to visit at least once, but not really worth a repeat visit in my opinion.

Visited February 2014
Chicago, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Okay, there has to be some small print here. it's not an amazing experience during the time that you are there, but it is a memory that you will keep forever.

I love that I have stayed here, because it's a memory that I often visit and makes a great story to tell at dinners or with friends...however, when you are there, it can be quite miserable.

If you arrive in the day, your room will not be available until around 9pm. In the meantime, you can walk the grounds and have drinks in the ice bar. All of this is fun...for about 90 minutes. We ended up leaving the area and driving North to a fun little bar / restaurant for dinner, before heading back around 8pm.

Once you have changed clothing and have all sleeping necessities sorted, you can spend an hour or two walking the ground with snow shoes, although the trails are not long, and it's quite dark (you have helmet lights), it's quite fun. After this, it's always worth worth taking advantage of the free hot tubs (we took our own wine).

Eventually, you go to your room, (after the fastest change of clothes ever) snuggle deep down into your arctic sleeping bags and attempt to get comfy. I highly recommend using the bathroom before this, as you really don't want to get out of bed in the night.

In the morning, you return to get your clothes (or luggage) and have a free breakfast in the cafeteria. This is like something you would find in a campground, very basic food and facilities.

Overall, I love the fact that we went and it certainly is a bucket list item, but don't expect magic, or you will be disappointed.

Pros:

- a memory of a life time
- wonderful photograph opportunities
- a decent experience, especially if you hike and enjoy the bar

Cons:

- crazy expensive (try to find a deal)
- minimal facilities

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Chicago_Boz
Forest Hills, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing and unique experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This was such an amazing and unique place to visit! They offer rooms for rent at around $200 USD per person but it was a little too cold for my wife and I. Although we would have loved to stay here in theory, it just would have been way too uncomfortable (I think). Everything in the rooms were made of ice from the nightstand to the couches to the bed frame and they were all done so in such fine detail. But all the places to lay down or sit were covered with animal skin to ensure you wouldn't get frost bite.

We spent most of our time in the bar while we were there which was perfect for us. Again, everything was made of ice and done so in fine detail. It was truly amazing to see. They served us drinks in ice mugs which was really cool, basically a coffee mug size ice cube with a silver dollar sized hole drilled in the middle if it.

The drink sizes were small and fairly pricey which is expected at places like this. They were about 3-4 ounces for $11-12 USD but they were delicious. The bartenders were very friendly and helpful which made our experience very enjoyable despite the temperature being 0 degrees. There was even a small room with a fireplace! Just be sure to dress warm to make your visit as enjoyable as possible.

1 Thank Vincent R
Merrick, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Not for the Faint at Heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Myb husband surprised me with a trip to Old Quebec for our anniversay. While we were there we spent one night at the Hotel de Glace. It was the most amazing sight. The entire hotel is ice. We had to take a one-hour class on what to do to survive the night. It was not easy but it was so worth it. I can't say I would ever look to do it again but it was an experience I would not want to miss. We enjoyed a drink at the bar out of ice glasses. It was etherial the way the light came through the ice blocks. Just amazing.

Visited January 2013