“Your Experience Will Follow You Home”

Cassis Monna & Filles
Cuisines: French
Description: Cassis Monna & filles has been synonymous with passion and innovation since 1992. The company has mastered the art of transforming black currants - harvested on Île d'Orléans - into products of the highest quality, including a Crème de Cassis that earned the 1995 Gold Medal Award at the prestigious European contest in Ljubljana, Slovenia. The company also produces three aperitif wines as well as a wine jelly, a syrup, an onion jam, a black currant jelly, a mustard and other black currant delicacies. Stop for a culinary treat at La Monnaguette and enjoy its charming terrace wonderfully decorated with beautiful flowers and offering a spectacular view of the Île d'Orléans bridge. Come and discover a thousand and one ways to enjoy black currants.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Become a bootlegger. If you are an American Francophile, you should stuff your trunk with as much of this as you can afford. A truly wonderful cassis. The Capiteux is wonderful. I am supposed to sip this like a port, but it is so wonderful I try to drink it every night. The Maderise is unbelievable. I would track through a desert reading poetry to find this. I hate deserts and poems, but I love Madera, and did not know what it was before I tried this. With that said, you may think I don't know anything. However, I tried some very nice ports and madeira and found that the Cassis Monna & Filles Capiteux and Maderise were wonderful alternatives that outpaced the traditional choices. I am now in mourning because I did not stuff my trunk and I cannot figure out a way to bootleg my desire for this fine treat of a drink. Oh, the experience at the store was fantastic. The women who worked there were both pleasant and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I stopped in looking for a quick lunch and were blown away by how great this food was. it was all natural and fresh and the tastes were great. My wife commented that it was one of the best meals she had ever had and it was onyl a $40 lunch. if you go to the island, have lunch here, no question about it.

1  Thank brian f
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stopped here as we did a bike loop around the island. Downstairs there is a tasting room. We were able to sample all of their products, all made with cassis. I found their products to be of high quality, and unique to the island for those looking for something different for themselves or presents for others. The girl who served us was very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and spoke excellent English. Upstairs they have an outdoor terrace and restaurant serving items made with their cassis products, seems like it would be well worth your time if you're hungry or thirsty. I would definitely recommend this for those visiting Ile d'Orleans, I only wish I'd bought more things now!

1  Thank CourtneyMD
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We actually stopped for the Cassis tasting. For those not familiar with Cassis, it is a liquor made from black currants which is the key ingredient in Kir cocktails and drinks. While the restaurant and a tasting area for a wide range of Black Currant products, a trip to the cellar will reveal a Cassis tasting room where the accommodating staff will introduce you to a range of Black Currant Liquor products from Kir's to pure Cassis. As lovers of Cassis we found these products to be outstanding and brought home a stock that should last us for a number of years along with some gifts.

My only complaint is a common one among the wineries of Ile d'Orleans, that is the tiny plastic cups they use for tasting. As I have said before, if they don't care about their product and don't think it is worth a decent glass to serve it why should I expect it to be any good. This is especially the case when they are charging the amount they are charging.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Don't miss this vineyard as you are touring around the island. We didn't eat there, but went to sample the wines and products made from currents. The wine tasting was quite informative, with the history of cassis and all the different products made there. We tasted everything!!!!! And took some home (was well worth checking our luggage for the delicious bottles). Very friendly staff, who went from french to english without missing a beat. A most enjoyable time!!