See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 May 2018

Just had a wonderful brunch this May 13, at La Grange de l'Ile. Although we have known l'Ile for many, many years, and enjoined it every time. its unique setting in the St Laurence River just 15-20 minutes from downtown Quebec, we had never been at La Grange. Both my wife and I were mesmerized at the quality of the offering and of the service, with an amazing quantity for a modest price. So much so that we brought a doggy bag home! Excellent crepes and artisan bread with home-made preserves with beans baked to perfection and a generous portions of mixed- and ripe - fruits. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2017

Auberge la Grange is tucked back off the main road in a peaceful country setting, but that's just about the nicest thing I can say. This B&B shares space with a restaurant and a vineyard, two other businesses that keep the owners quite busy and I think the B&B is an afterthought. When I checked in the owner gave me my key (when he finally found it) and told me where to find my room; after that, I was left to my own devices. The room itself is modern and adequate enough for a stay, but it had a number of tiny imperfections in construction and decor that I would not find in other places. The biggest issue I had with this stay was noise -- the stairwell, hallway, and rooms all are wood flooring, so sound just bounces all over. The people upstairs took a shower late at night and the water in the plumbing cascaded through my walls so loudly it was impossible to sleep. In the morning I could hear the hairdryer being used in the next room and it sounded like they were in my room. This place needed some serious soundproofing! The "lobby" or common area for the B&B was so tiny, with concrete floors and devoid of any color or character, I don't know how anyone would be willing to relax there. More than once when I passed though either to or from my room there were delivery boxes on the floor or stairs that I had to walk around -- not cool from a safety point of view.

The "free" breakfast was served in a strict half-hour time frame. Both days they offered only eggs and toast with a little fresh fruit (and juice, coffee, etc); since I cannot eat eggs, I had tea, fruit, and toast for breakfast both days, the strawberry jam being served in a little plastic disposable cup. Upon checkout, since the owner did not inquire as to how I liked my stay, I offered the complaint that my room door was hard to open, that it rubbed against the floor. He seemed unconcerned and suggested it was just the humidity affecting the wood. (No, the door definitely needed a shave.) Originally I had planned to stay for three nights, but the B&B I stayed in prior to my arrival was so quaint (and far above La Grange in service) I changed my plans and stayed there again on my way home. Fortunately, the owner was fine with my change.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Beautiful location. Very clean, quiet and restful. Great service and the food is nothing but Excellent. Do not expect fast food service, you are there to relax and everything is cooked just right. Everthing was just awesome. I highly recommend!!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2016

Both the Table D'Hote dinner, and breakfast were absolutely delicious. Cute, quiet rooms, friendly host (mainly French language speakers). The groups were amazing, saw them setting up for a wedding which would be perfect. One room had a patio for sitting out before supper, very clean, would definitely return and highly recommend!

Room Tip: Patio is great
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2015

My boyfriend and I stayed at Auberge la Grange for two nights in September on vacation while on our way further north. We called the hotel in the afternoon to let them know we would arrive late. When we arrived, I went in first to check-in while my boyfriend unloaded the bags. The owner was behind the bar in the restaurant serving wine to two men and, when I told him I had a reservation, he told me there were no rooms left—clearly a joke but not very funny at 10pm after a long drive. Eventually, he checked the reservations, found my booking and pulled out a key, which he tossed on the bar between us. At this point, my boyfriend arrived and the man pointed down the hall and told us to take the first left to get to our room—not very hospitable to say the least.

We found our room, which was fine (though nothing special), got settled in and went to bed shortly around 11:30pm. We were pretty exhausted from a long week of work and looking forward to sleeping in but that was clearly not in the cards. Shortly after 8am, we were awoken to running feet over our heads. Then many stomping feet, which got louder and louder. Turns out a children's dance class was held Saturday mornings directly over our room.

When my boyfriend complained to the owner, his response was 'well, breakfast is between 7 and 9.' As though that meant we were obliged to be up for breakfast (and thus miss the dance class on our heads.)

In the light of day, we also realized that our room looked out onto the underside of an upper room's deck. I'm guessing we were the lucky recipients of the 'closet' room other commenters have described.

All in all, the service (or lack thereof) pretty well ruined what could have been a nice experience. We won't be returning or recommending this Auberge.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple