“Poor service in a busy city hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tropical Inn

Tropical Inn
Martensville, Canada
“Poor service in a busy city hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I'm staying in this hotel due to its close proximity to a project I'm working on. I'm here for a week, leaving at 6:00 am and returning at 6:00 PM. I usually have reports to write in the evening so I usually just order Room Service where ever I am at the time. Because of my normal late arrival each night, my problems were all dealt with by the night staff.

My first night here I ordered delivery from an outside restaurant with problems ,,, but that's another review, LOL. I also tried to order a pay per view Movie but was unable to for some reason. A quick call to the night staff person was no help as she said it was a problem she could not fix and would put in a work order for the daytime maintenance staff.

The next evening, I ordered room service with little to complain about. But as soon as I got into the room I checked the TV to see if I could now order movies. I still could not, and now a different evening staff member, offered to move me to another room, since it turned out to be the TV that was the problem and was reported and identified earlier as a problem by other hotel guests but was never rectified.

I declined the offer to move as this was now Thursday and by now I was considering moving from this hotel to a different location for my second week of the project I was working on.

It's now Friday, (the next night) and I have reports to write so I order Room Service......... Or at least I try!. I started phoning at 6:30 PM but no one would answer, It would ring 5 times and then transfer to the front desk, at which time I would hang up and try again. So after ten minutes I let it continue to ring until the front desk answered. She was very apologetic and put me on hold while she dialed their number to try and reach them. She came back to me stating she tried 4 times with no response so she apologized and said she was walking over to the restaurant to investigate. 5 Minutes later she called me back to say they were very busy and to try back a few minutes later.

Well an hour and a half later I finally called the front desk again and she personally took my order to the in-house restaurant so I could get some food.

5 minutes later I got a call from the restaurant saying I might have to come get the food as they were short staffed.
At 8:33 I got my food, Hand delivered by the same person responsible for taking the Room Service Orders, stating that the phone ringer was turned down and she was unable to hear it.

I did receive a discount on my food order which was nice but does not change my opinion of this Hotel and the restaurant staff of the accompanying and attached Smitty's. oh by the way Salmon was the special for the night, so I ordered the Caesar Salad with Grilled Salmon. Well my Salad was wilted and the salmon was dry and over cooked.

Management needs to look at the issues here as this City will not always be easily accessible.

Room Tip: This Hotel has amenities for Families like water slides, but during the week is full of construction...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
WESTBANK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Hello. I had booked a 3 night stay through a booking agency. Then had to cancel. I did not have access to a computer to cancel online so phoned the hotel direct. I obtained a cancellation number to my horror to find the rip off hotel charged me one night as I did not cancel through the online company. I visited them to explain and was met with a very obnoxious manager Doris who refused to listen or acknowledge my complaint. I am not letting this go as I had a firm cancellation from the actual place. Is this crazy or typical of small town places. Signed. Very very annoyed

Room Tip: Very obnoxious front desk. Money hungry and rude
Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy W

Travellers are raving about these North Battleford hotels

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Located right on Highway #16 makes this place easy to access. There is a large parking lot. The restaurant is very nice and the meals we had were good. There is also water slides which we did not use - due to time restrictions of our trip. Our room was pleasant with all the usual things. We stopped here on an overnight, we would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Windy_Feet
DBinette2013, Manager at Tropical Inn, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank You for choosing the Tropical Inn. We are always happy to hear that our guests had a good stay with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay with us. Have a great dayl!
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

With a large pool and water slide this hotel offers the family a break from driving. The restaurant serves good food but there are other options found in the surrounding area. The rooms are good and you can get a room on the outside or facing the indoor pool.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank princesscruisers
Thank You for choosing the Tropical Inn. I am pleased that your stay was a positive one and that you had a great time. We strive to make our guest feel comfortable and at home. Hopefully we will see you again. Have a great day!
Porcupine Plain, Saskatchewan, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here on the last couple days of our holiday I booked a suite so my family could strecth out, apon checkin we were unable to get that room due to an air conditioning leak. Fine that stuff happens. They tried to make us get 2 rooms and pay full price on them which would have been more than the suite I wanted but how can I even take 2 rooms when I have children use some common sense people. So they find us a room that has 1 king bed and a pullout couch which is still more than the suite I wanted and want me to pay full price I said no you will give it to us for the price of the suite I reserved after a half hour check in they did. We get to the room and it is damp and stinky whatever I am done fighting we will take it. It was just bad after bad after bad room wasn't cleaned proper food in restaurant was raw had to be sent back next day was 20 mins to get even a coffee at breakfast and just about an hour to get pancakes. We were told after we complained to friend in NB that you don't stay there or eat at Smittys there, and I will never again. We need tog o back this summer for another wedding and I will be trying the Gold Eagle Lodge

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
The Tropical Inn would like to apologize for the unpleasant stay that you experienced with us. There is no excuse for this. Your checkin should not have been a fight and your meals in our restaurant should have been acceptable to you. These matters have been brought up with the appropriate departments and hopefully this will not happen again. I hope you will give us another try. Have a great day!
Quesnel, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Had difficulty finding accommodations in North Battleford. Though it would be okay, as business people were staying in the hotel. Pet friendly which is good. However, the toilet leaked - leaving water all over bathroom floor. Spoke to desk clerk - I was looking for more towels for mopping up water. She offered us another room. The room was a really long way from where we were, with no offer of assistance in moving all our stuff. Also the other room had no parking close by so we would have been unable to keep any eye on our vehicle. Put extra towels around toilet, so no longer had wet floor, but in the morning, the chain on the toilet broke. In order to flush, we had to remove tank top. Told morning desk clerk about toilet problem, at least he took $20 off of bill.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank You for choosing the Tropical Inn. We are very sorry that your stay with us wasn't up to our usual standards. We are in the process of renovating and upgrading our rooms. I apologize for inconveniencing you. Hopefully, you will give us another chance.
Napa, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I didn't stay a full night here, but I feel like my experience warrants a review in order for others to know what to expect. I had heard from coworkers that it wasn't a great hotel, but thought I'd give it a shot. Checked in, front desk service was average, nothing notable. The building is dated and everything goes downhill from the lobby - elevator progressively older, hallway another step down (carpet and wallpaper gives a bit of a gross feeling), room is the worst. It was dark (the window was small and oddly much smaller than in any other hotel room I've been in), bathroom was run-down, and it was a small room. I had the feeling I wouldn't be taking my shoes off and sleeping in my clothes, until I saw two small bugs on top of the sheets, under the comforter. I immediately packed up, told the front desk they have bed bugs, and checked out. The Super 8 across the street isn't the nicest place, but at least it's clean. Your first choice should be the Gold Eagle Lodge, if they have any availability.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bryan L
I am so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at the Tropical Inn. We are in the process of renovating and upgrading our hotel and alot of improvements are being made. I hope one day you will give us another chance. Please accept my apology. Thank You