“Not what I was expecting”

Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buenavista
Reviewed 14 March 2013

If you are looking for a place well off the beaten path,not a lot of amenities and limited tourists, this is the place for you. Very remote, nothing around the hotel and few activities are coordinated by the hotel. The restaurant is ok but has typical american fare. The margaritas were fantastic. Just not what I was expecting at all. Did I mention it was remote?

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank foodandducklover

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort is a staple of the East Cape. The people who run it have been doing so for years, and they love what they do. Many of the guests staying there while we were there were repeat visitors, greeting staff like old friends.

If you're looking for high end luxury, you probably won't be visiting the East Cape anyway, but it is not easy to find in this part of the world. Hotel Buena Vista has beautiful grounds, great pool, wonderful beach access and clean comfortable rooms. The bed was surprisingly comfy, rare in Mexico! However, this resort is first and foremost a fish camp, catering as it has for years to the fishermen who are drawn to the Sea of Cortes.

The rooms are small, with very little storage. The bathroom is tiny with no counterspace and zero storage. There was very little closet/drawer space and I had a hard time figuring out where to put our stuff for a 4 night stay. All of the rooms could use some updating, but our bathroom in particular was pretty worked. The shower, though small, had great water pressure and lots of hot water. Basic needs are met, but no extras at all.

I would stay there again, but if you're looking for luxury resort living, you should head south the madness of Cabo. HBV is clean, comfortable, friendly with few frills. The restaurant was pretty good, nothing spectacular but good food and really great staff.

If you're looking for great beach access, a lot of peace and quiet, a large pool with no crowds,really friendly staff and a beautiful location, this is the spot for you.

Room Tip: Kings are hard to come by, request one with your reservation.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mcsunny
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Our recent trip to this resort was not disappointing. We hace been going here for many years and have always had a wonderful time. The Valdez Family and Staff go out of their way to make sure your stay will be relaxing and worry free. This resort has great fishing and a great location for relaxing. This resort is very family friendly and in a very safe location. With all of the stories about the bad things going on in Mexico, I have never felt or had a situation that would make me believe I was un-safe.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrPsari
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was our first visit to Baja. Being from Florida, we know fishing, and this far exceeded our expectations. 4 sailfish; 14 tuna; 6 dorado; 2 roosterfish and amazing captain and crew (Ramone and Tio). The resort was clean, beautiful and the entire staff and owners treated us like family. The food was phenomenal, any request was gladly filled. Met many nice guests that had been coming here for many years and all confirmed never any problems traveling on their own throughout Baja. Drank water right from the tap, no tummy troubles at all. We highly recommend this resort as well as all of Baja. Took a trip to Todos Santos and our driver, Abraham, was very informative and helpful. Elizabeth was more than happy to set up any arrangements you could want. Do yourself a big favor and plan a trip to this resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tami T
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was my fifth time visiting the Hotel Buena Vista. Have stayed there with friends for the Bisbee's East Cape fishing tournament which is great, but this was my first visit with my wife and three daughters. In fact it was my wife and daughters first trip to the area. We had a great time. The staff is attentive and the Valdez family does a very good job of making their guests feel welcome.

The property is maintained very well and the accomodations are very comfortable. The meals were great and they had no problem accomodating my youngest daughters picky tastes. The pool area is great and has a swim up bar.

I had talked my family into a fishing trip on one of the resort boats and were able to book the same boat and captain Alex we normally fish with in the tournament. I asked him if we could look for Dorado, even though they had been catching Tuna. He did not disappoint, we caught two large Dorado, one over 40 pounds and the other about 30. Alex and his brother Carlos did a great job in helping make the trip entertaining for my wife and daughters. I highly recommend them for a good and productive fishing trip. Our fish was processed on the property and provided to us before our departure.

Overall a great trip. One other thing....with all that is going on in Mexico it is understandable that people can be apprehensive. Understand that the Cabo area and Buena Vista are very safe. Do some research and you will see.

This is a very well run resort and my family and I will continue to give them our vacation business.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The property is the perfect size - intimate enough that it feels like the entire team, from the pool bartender to the breakfast servers know you, but big enough that you aren't elbow to elbow with other guests in the swimming pool or fighting for a cabana on the beach.
The resort staff, and the fishing guides, are all fantastic - they treated us like family! The fishing was so exciting - nothing like the boring image I have of my dad and uncle sitting on a boat in a lake waiting, and waiting, and waiting... If you are there to fish, they make sure you catch fish! It was my first time and I got to land A LOT of tuna. And, The Sea of Cortez offers the amazing opportunity to see dolphins, flying fish and giant rays sailing out of the water - it was just like National Geographic channel said it would be =)
I was blown away by every meal - the menu offers so many delicious choices (DEFINITELY HAVE THE CEVICHE AND NEVER SKIP THE SOUP!!!) and the portions are so generous. Many, many compliments to the chef. I also loved the fact that you could give the chef your catch of the day to be prepared for dinner - other guests even shared theirs with us! It's such a great environment, even the other guests treat you like family =)
The rooms are comfortable - not fancy, but just what I needed to fall into a coma after an awesome day of fishing, an incredibly filling dinner, and a few cervezas. Worth noting that the A/C in the room kicked butt, especially given how humid and hot it can get during the day. It was also nice that the resort offers internet access in the lounge, plus a pool table and ping pong table for extra entertainment. I did not have enough time to do any of the extra activities offered such as snorkeling or paddle board rental, but I plan to in the future (you can definitely do at least 7 days at this wonderful resort - we only did 5 and I was not ready to leave!).
The beach was very clean, and definitely felt private. The resort grounds were also very well kept, lots of pretty flowers, trimmed lawn, nice trees, etc. ** A warning to those that are a magnet for insect bites - bring good repellent (Axel was kind enough to share his with us - what a guy!) ** As other guests have commented, I felt very safe and secure at all times.
I would definitely recommend the Hotel Buena Vista Resort. It offers the perfect balance of sport and activity, with relaxation and laziness =) Plus, the super friendly staff, beautiful property and gourmet food make it feel like a luxurious resort. It far exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Monika R
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We loved our visit last week. We brought another couple down for the first time and they loved it as well. The guys fished, the girls played. Great mix of fishing, fun in the sun, new friends and quiet atmosphere. Trip and views are spectacular. We fished with Ramon/Teo and several days with Felipe/Reggie - all the guides are great, laid back, and doing their best to catch fish. We had several limts of tuna, dorada and striped marlins for those afternoon kickers. Absolutely great fishing. You know when the guides get excited you are really in for some big fun. The highlights for the week were 3 marlins (tougher than last year), two days of 15+ tuna, one day of over 10+ dorado with one 50lb bull. The last day we added two large rooster fish, with the largest topping 50lbs and 45 minutes of angler agony. Wow!

If you are worried about safety in Mexico, this place is far removed from any areas of concern. Absolutely no safety concerns. We are thinking about taking the kids next year.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fishmonster11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buenavista
Hotel Palmas de Cortez
#1 of 1 in La Ribera
Rancho Buena Vista
Rancho Buena Vista
#2 of 2 in Buenavista

Been to Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort? Share your experiences!