“Above our expectations.......”

Ranked #5 of 26 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Above our expectations.......”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

For my friend and I who stayed a month at the Ajijic Suites, our accommodations came in above expectations. We had bright, well-equipped rooms overlooking the courtyard. Weekly maid service was perfect, as was being able to get your personal laundry done for a very reasonable charge.

Having access to a free phone made keeping in touch easy. The Wi-Fi and 3 Eng. language TV stations were more than enough.

We felt free to ask questions at any time and got accurate and helpful answers.

The Suites' owners went out of their way for us, especially when my friend wasn't well. We had rides to markets and shops and a fun morning in the owner's home catching up on favorite TV shows.

Centrally located in charming Ajijic, the Ajijic Suites offer a happy refuge from the cold north!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thanks for your nice review & feedback about your stay, Mary! It's been a pleasure having you & Mary C staying with us, & so nice of Donna to include you in her "secret sunny escape" south of the border! Catching up with Downton Abbey with English tea & biscuits & fellow afficionados was an added bonus! We hope to enjoy the company of all three of you again next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Recently spent a month here and had a wonderful experience! My husband and I are considering relocating to the Lakeside area upon retirement. Elaine and Luis, the owners, not only made our stay extremely pleasant, but were very informative in providing information about the area for those who are considering retirement here The hotel room was large and comfortable and whatever we needed Elaine and Luis went out of their way to provide. We could not ask for better service! Elaine and Luis have since become our friends and we hope to return their in the future and would not hesitate recommending this hotel to family or friends! Xiomara Gomez

Room Tip: Book early as all the rooms are unique and in demand especially during the high season (September to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thanks, Xi & Rick! It was wonderful having you guys to stay & we really enjoyed your refreshing attitude & approach to life - "Mama knows best"! You & Rick were a pleasure as guests & we're so glad that you've decided to make your home here & look forward to sharing some more fun times with you both.
Forest Knolls, California
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My visit was inspired, so to speak, by my Dad's local passing. He had lived in Ajijic for many years.

On short notice, propietress, Elaine, booked me in at the rate I requested. When I arrived she upgraded me after hearing that I had a lot of in-and-out work to do gathering Dad's things.

Elaine's stellar husband and partner, proprietor Luiz, became my friend and confidante. Not only did he pick me up at the airport, he also spend the next two days with me driving me all over Ajijic for whatever I needed, and whenever I needed to go. No suprise I could not have given him a bigger hug when I left two days later.

The accommodations: spotless, charming, sleepable mattress, and more than I bargained for. The kitchen was well equipped. My only suggestion is bring the coffee you like. There was an ample tea selection, which I was happy for. I wished I had thought to bring my own coffee.

I am coming back soon with my wife, this time to experience Ajijic under different circumstances.

Circling back to Elaine and Luiz... Without there help, I could never have addressed or concluded my father's matters in the two days I was there. These are two angels.

Stay here!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank msweig
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review, Michael. We were happy to be of assistance to you during your difficult (& brief) time here. Dealing with the passing of loved ones is difficult at the best of times; however, it's exacerbated a hundredfold when it occurs in a foreign country. We were relieved (for you) that you were able to get things wrapped up quickly & look forward to extending hospitality to you & your wife in the future, under happier circumstances.
Deer Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

The Ajijic Suites is located just a couple blocks from the plaza in Ajijic, which is the heart of the town. It is an easy walk to downtown or to the Malecon on Lake Chapala. The second floor, where our room was located, overlooked a fountain in the courtyard and a view of the lake and
mountains. The bed was super comfortable and the maid service was excellent. The manager and her husband were very helpful with suggestions on what to see and do. We had a great time in Ajijic.
Overall, we were very pleased with our experience and would
stay there again if we returned to Ajijic.

Irene McKinley, Seattle, WA

very

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thanks for your nice review, Irene! Most welcome at this time! Always a pleasure having you & Mark to stay, & hope to see you again next year!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My room “Tonala” was off the lobby area and although large with a separate bedroom, had no windows to the outside, except for a small one in the closet/bathroom area. The photos on the web site do not show this. I wish I had been made aware of this when I booked as I felt very closed in and ate at the outdoor patio table. The room is pretty and clean with ceiling skylights, but did not make up for not being able to see outside and have cross ventilation.
The lights to read are dim so you may want to use a battery book light.

The kitchen had a convection oven, microwave, coffee maker , 2 burner cook top and a toaster that toasted one side of the bread which I asked to be exchanged after seeing another room being supplied with a new small appliances. I was actually told at first my electric pop up toaster worked and only toasted one side of bread (?)

The guest computer of 64 MB in the lobby needed attention because for 4 days we used the Cyber Cafe down the street until the tech was called to fix it. (not everyone travels with a lap top type device) The WiFi was iffy in many locations on the property.

If you want to sleep in be aware some mornings are very loud in the lobby area and voices bounce off the walls so I suggest earplugs.

It was cold at night in early January and although there are small electric heaters available only some rooms had them. I did witness a heater being lent out to someone not staying at the Suites and wondered why the guests cold at night had not been offered it. (cost saving vs. comfort)

I seemed to have been lucky with the hot water issue as I had hot water most of the time in my room for a very quick shower.

The location is good being 2-3 blocks to the Ajijic Plaza, the Lake Chapala Club, the Malencon (boardwalk) along the waterfront, local buses etc. The housekeeper Chayo is a delight and will try and help with utensils missing in your room.

Room Tip: Just be aware to ask questions before you book about outside windows, heating on cold nights.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Geri M
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thanks for your review, Geri. We're sorry that your suite wasn't entirely to your satisfaction; however, as I mentioned in a previous response, some suites are larger & better equipped (such as yours), but have less windows than other smaller suites. This is an old building, & we're continually doing the best we can to enhance/improve what we have, but within realistic structural & budgetary limitations. We have considered installing clerestory windows into the Tonala & Rosa suites that open into the guest lounge area; however, your comments about noise give us pause for further thought …..? The covered patio is a great location to enjoy a snack at any time of the day, soothed by the fountain & watching the humming birds & butterflies. The opportunity to interact & exchange information with other guests is also enjoyable.
austin tx
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My room, the Miguel suite, did not meet my expectations. I thought the property was not being properly maintained due to a preference for cost cutting instead of guest comfort. Fair enough, but just be aware. My outside lighting was disconnected, my freezer iced up, and I had very little hot water for bathing. Wifi was slow and only in specific locations within the suite. My living space was dark despite opaque skylights in every room. In October it was hot and in January it was cold. Only one window in the front did not supply adequate ventilation. Several other rooms also only have one small window. I don't feel that my stay for 4 months was a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Check on windows, upstairs or down, and kitchen facilities before booking.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
How sad that you feel that the Miguel suite didn’t met your expectations! I honestly can’t understand how you can, realistically, make that statement. You had a newly decorated & upholstered four room suite, centrally located within the village, including gas, electricity, bottled water, wi-fi, cable TV & access to free local & long distance phone calls (to the US) for US$400 per month in peak season here in Ajijic! In addition, you received maid service & linen change weekly. Perhaps your expectations were, in fact, unrealistic? The suite is clean, comfortable & would normally be rented at US$700 for the month. Wif-fi is a continuous challenge here in Mexico as the technology here has not caught up with the US, Canada & Europe. This is beyond our control. The Miguel suite has windows to the front, windows in the bathroom & a vented skylight in the kitchen. During your stay we also installed an additional fan/light in the kitchen for your added comfort. The Miguel suite has a full stove, with oven, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, & larger refrigerator. I’m puzzled as to why you’d suggest checking kitchen facilities before booking in the light of the facilities you enjoyed? Admittedly, there are no baking pans for cakes/brownies; however most guests on vacation don’t want to spend their time baking! We are hoping, profits permitting this year, to install a small air conditioning unit in Miguel. During the six years we have owned/operated the business, all our profits have been poured back into upgrading linens, beds, furniture, decorations etc & this process in ongoing – but within a reasonable budget! We really try very hard to ensure that our guests are comfortable & enjoy using us as a convenient & knowledgeable base for enjoying all that this delightful village has to offer. We are sad that your stay wasn't what you hoped.
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Small but very personal. The suites are clean, other guests friendly. Theowners go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. Pet friendly. Restaurants close and all shopping. Wifi service available in the rooms or a computerin the lounge area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Debra D
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your short stay with us, Debra! I definitely got the impression you were pleasantly surprised with the myriad of possibilities that Ajijic has to offer & we hope to see you again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ajijic
Real de Chapala
Hacienda del Lago
#4 of 7 in Ajijic
Hotel Balneario San Juan Cosala
Hotel Ajijic Plaza Suites

Been to Ajijic Suites? Share your experiences!