“Great place to stay!”

Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo
Ranked #7 of 27 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was our first trip to Mexico, which we made despite dire warnings from the US government re crime and the hyped-up fears of family and friends who read the warnings. The Lake Chapala area proved to be one of the nicest, least fear-inducing places we've ever been. We liked it so much that we even considered buying a house while there! We came to our senses, but we hated to leave and hope to go back for the whole winter next year.

Staying at Ajijic Suites really enhanced our experience. It's within walking distance of almost everything, and if not, the 60 cent bus is a block away. The Plaza, Malecon, and probably hundreds of street vendors, restaurants, shops, and other businesses are within a quarter mile. It's in a really nice family neighborhood, where people sell everything from food to jewelry to online time in their front entryways, and kids play soccer in the street after supper. Parades and processions (weddings, baptisms, funerals) pass by often, and the "Gaaasssss" truck announces itself in hilarious fashion.

Elaine and Luis are a wealth of information. They've lived there for years and know where everything is. When we arrived they gave us a map and list of restaurants and activities, and every week they emailed us the entertainment for the week, all very helpful. The hotel, which has 8(?) suites, has been updated with modern plumbing and electricity that work well. Loved the shower. The fountain in the central courtyard drowned out any odd sounds (but the neighborhood was quiet at night) and we slept very well. The only changes I'd suggest for our suite would be to add a hotplate and put a light in the sink area (a stick-on push light would be good enough). We definitely recommend Ajijic Suites!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris F
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thanks for your great review, Chris! It was a pleasure having you & Bob to stay & we were particularly pleased that his earlier concerns about safety here were realised to be unfounded. Thanks for the tips about the kitchen area. For sure we can improve the lighting; however, adding pots & pans for use on a hotplate presents a little challenge with storage? However, we thrive on challenges, so will investigate …..! Enjoy the rest of your summer & hope to see you next year!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My first experience staying at Ajijic Suites was about 10 months ago when a good friend moved to this area. Her house wasn't quite ready so she booked the "Tonala" suite in Ajijic Suites Hotel and invited me to join her for the night. What a lovely, clean unit, complete with a well equipped kitchen, fair size livingroom, twin beds and bathroom with window that looks out onto a water fountain surrounded by a beautiful garden. I still remember the clean, fresh smell when I first stepped into the unit. This quaint hotel in the heart of Ajijic, is within walking distance to everything Ajijic has to offer. Elaine and Luis the owners, are friendly, accommodating and so helpful. They go the extra mile to make your stay a comfortable and pleasant time.

More recently (November 2013) is it any wonder that I chose Ajijic Suites for Elsie, my elderly (99 yr old) mother when I needed a place for her to stay while my husband and I went away over night. Not knowing her way around a computer, this is what she asked me to write on her behalf. "What a lovely, clean, bright and cheery place they have given me and they allowed my dog to stay with me too. Elaine and Luis invited me to have supper with them that evening and she brought me coffee the next morning, She dropped in to see me again in the afternoon and we had tea together. I told my daughter and son-in-law they can go away as often as they like as long as I can stay here". Elsie and I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone.
Linda & Elsie

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Linnie2014
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about both your stay - & your Mum's. You were both a pleasure to host &, although we're not in the business of offering respite care, we were glad to have opportunity to let you & hubby get some well deserved time away on your own whilst we enjoyed Mum's company.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I came down to Mexico for medical tourism and father and mother in law, who are retired here, got me room to stay for 3 weeks at Ajijic Suites. The room I stayed in was the 'Miguel Room' which was very spacious 1 bedroom apartment. It had a full kitchen with a fridge , stove and all the pots, pans, cutlery and dishes you would need . You also have access to wireless internet and cable television, with both Spanish and English programming. I also loved the fact that the suite had street access right out my front door . The owner/operators Elaine and Luis are extremely friendly and very helpful. If I needed anything or had any questions they had answers for me and saw that my needs were met. For me this place really felt like a home away from home and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your stay, Randy. We were so glad that your trip provided long awaited medical answers & that we were able to offer you comfortable accommodation whilst you did the round of doctors. We very much hope that you, Melissa & the kids, will be able to return as a family under happier circumstances soon!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Ajijic Suites is a very reasonably priced, small, well run hotel which is also conveniently located. It is a short walk to the plaza and many good restaurants. The Rosa Suite was very clean and comfortable with a king-size bed with a good mattress and lovely colored coordinated bedding. Although, I only stayed for one week, I got to know the downtown Ajijic area quite well. Elaine was so helpful with her suggestions. I thoroughly enjoyed my massage at the spa which was located very close to the hotel. I certainly appreciated the free phones, one for international calling and one for local calls, as well as the computer.

Elaine and Luis are friendly, helpful and attentive hosts. Elaine was always available for my questions and she gave me great suggestions on what to do and where to go. She went out of her way to make my stay a VERY comfortable one!!!

Everyday was sunny and beautiful. Lake Chapala really does have the one of the best climates in the world!!

Thank you again Elaine and Luis.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for your great review, Vicky! So glad you enjoyed your stay & that it provided a warm & comfy break from the cold Canadian winter - & work! We very much enjoyed your company & hope you can make it again next year 'cos there's loads more things still for you to see & do!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

For my friend and I who stayed a month at the Ajijic Suites, our accommodations came in above expectations. We had bright, well-equipped rooms overlooking the courtyard. Weekly maid service was perfect, as was being able to get your personal laundry done for a very reasonable charge.

Having access to a free phone made keeping in touch easy. The Wi-Fi and 3 Eng. language TV stations were more than enough.

We felt free to ask questions at any time and got accurate and helpful answers.

The Suites' owners went out of their way for us, especially when my friend wasn't well. We had rides to markets and shops and a fun morning in the owner's home catching up on favorite TV shows.

Centrally located in charming Ajijic, the Ajijic Suites offer a happy refuge from the cold north!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thanks for your nice review & feedback about your stay, Mary! It's been a pleasure having you & Mary C staying with us, & so nice of Donna to include you in her "secret sunny escape" south of the border! Catching up with Downton Abbey with English tea & biscuits & fellow afficionados was an added bonus! We hope to enjoy the company of all three of you again next year!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Recently spent a month here and had a wonderful experience! My husband and I are considering relocating to the Lakeside area upon retirement. Elaine and Luis, the owners, not only made our stay extremely pleasant, but were very informative in providing information about the area for those who are considering retirement here The hotel room was large and comfortable and whatever we needed Elaine and Luis went out of their way to provide. We could not ask for better service! Elaine and Luis have since become our friends and we hope to return their in the future and would not hesitate recommending this hotel to family or friends! Xiomara Gomez

Room Tip: Book early as all the rooms are unique and in demand especially during the high season (September to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thanks, Xi & Rick! It was wonderful having you guys to stay & we really enjoyed your refreshing attitude & approach to life - "Mama knows best"! You & Rick were a pleasure as guests & we're so glad that you've decided to make your home here & look forward to sharing some more fun times with you both.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

My visit was inspired, so to speak, by my Dad's local passing. He had lived in Ajijic for many years.

On short notice, propietress, Elaine, booked me in at the rate I requested. When I arrived she upgraded me after hearing that I had a lot of in-and-out work to do gathering Dad's things.

Elaine's stellar husband and partner, proprietor Luiz, became my friend and confidante. Not only did he pick me up at the airport, he also spend the next two days with me driving me all over Ajijic for whatever I needed, and whenever I needed to go. No suprise I could not have given him a bigger hug when I left two days later.

The accommodations: spotless, charming, sleepable mattress, and more than I bargained for. The kitchen was well equipped. My only suggestion is bring the coffee you like. There was an ample tea selection, which I was happy for. I wished I had thought to bring my own coffee.

I am coming back soon with my wife, this time to experience Ajijic under different circumstances.

Circling back to Elaine and Luiz... Without there help, I could never have addressed or concluded my father's matters in the two days I was there. These are two angels.

Stay here!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank msweig
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review, Michael. We were happy to be of assistance to you during your difficult (& brief) time here. Dealing with the passing of loved ones is difficult at the best of times; however, it's exacerbated a hundredfold when it occurs in a foreign country. We were relieved (for you) that you were able to get things wrapped up quickly & look forward to extending hospitality to you & your wife in the future, under happier circumstances.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ajijic
Real de Chapala
#4 of 7 in Ajijic
La Joya del Lago
La Joya del Lago
#7 of 7 in Ajijic

Been to Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo? Share your experiences!