“LOVED IT SO MUCH WE RETURNED!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ajijic Suites

Ajijic Suites
Ranked #5 of 24 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“LOVED IT SO MUCH WE RETURNED!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at Ajijic Suites. It is so charming and with a warm welcome. Our accommodations were a little different as we were travelling with our daughters and requested two rooms next to each other. Our accommodations were perfect! Clean, comfortable and pretty rooms with all the amenities you may need. Elaine and Luis were awesome, as usual. We may be returning this September and will once again choose Ajijic Suites as our home while away.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Always a pleasure having you guys to stay, particularly last time with the girls! Such fun! Hope to see you in September. Thanks for your thoughtful review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was our first trip to Mexico, which we made despite dire warnings from the US government re crime and the hyped-up fears of family and friends who read the warnings. The Lake Chapala area proved to be one of the nicest, least fear-inducing places we've ever been. We liked it so much that we even considered buying a house while there! We came to our senses, but we hated to leave and hope to go back for the whole winter next year.

Staying at Ajijic Suites really enhanced our experience. It's within walking distance of almost everything, and if not, the 60 cent bus is a block away. The Plaza, Malecon, and probably hundreds of street vendors, restaurants, shops, and other businesses are within a quarter mile. It's in a really nice family neighborhood, where people sell everything from food to jewelry to online time in their front entryways, and kids play soccer in the street after supper. Parades and processions (weddings, baptisms, funerals) pass by often, and the "Gaaasssss" truck announces itself in hilarious fashion.

Elaine and Luis are a wealth of information. They've lived there for years and know where everything is. When we arrived they gave us a map and list of restaurants and activities, and every week they emailed us the entertainment for the week, all very helpful. The hotel, which has 8(?) suites, has been updated with modern plumbing and electricity that work well. Loved the shower. The fountain in the central courtyard drowned out any odd sounds (but the neighborhood was quiet at night) and we slept very well. The only changes I'd suggest for our suite would be to add a hotplate and put a light in the sink area (a stick-on push light would be good enough). We definitely recommend Ajijic Suites!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris F
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thanks for your great review, Chris! It was a pleasure having you & Bob to stay & we were particularly pleased that his earlier concerns about safety here were realised to be unfounded. Thanks for the tips about the kitchen area. For sure we can improve the lighting; however, adding pots & pans for use on a hotplate presents a little challenge with storage? However, we thrive on challenges, so will investigate …..! Enjoy the rest of your summer & hope to see you next year!
San Antonio Las Alazanas, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My first experience staying at Ajijic Suites was about 10 months ago when a good friend moved to this area. Her house wasn't quite ready so she booked the "Tonala" suite in Ajijic Suites Hotel and invited me to join her for the night. What a lovely, clean unit, complete with a well equipped kitchen, fair size livingroom, twin beds and bathroom with window that looks out onto a water fountain surrounded by a beautiful garden. I still remember the clean, fresh smell when I first stepped into the unit. This quaint hotel in the heart of Ajijic, is within walking distance to everything Ajijic has to offer. Elaine and Luis the owners, are friendly, accommodating and so helpful. They go the extra mile to make your stay a comfortable and pleasant time.

More recently (November 2013) is it any wonder that I chose Ajijic Suites for Elsie, my elderly (99 yr old) mother when I needed a place for her to stay while my husband and I went away over night. Not knowing her way around a computer, this is what she asked me to write on her behalf. "What a lovely, clean, bright and cheery place they have given me and they allowed my dog to stay with me too. Elaine and Luis invited me to have supper with them that evening and she brought me coffee the next morning, She dropped in to see me again in the afternoon and we had tea together. I told my daughter and son-in-law they can go away as often as they like as long as I can stay here". Elsie and I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone.
Linda & Elsie

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Linnie2014
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about both your stay - & your Mum's. You were both a pleasure to host &, although we're not in the business of offering respite care, we were glad to have opportunity to let you & hubby get some well deserved time away on your own whilst we enjoyed Mum's company.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I came down to Mexico for medical tourism and father and mother in law, who are retired here, got me room to stay for 3 weeks at Ajijic Suites. The room I stayed in was the 'Miguel Room' which was very spacious 1 bedroom apartment. It had a full kitchen with a fridge , stove and all the pots, pans, cutlery and dishes you would need . You also have access to wireless internet and cable television, with both Spanish and English programming. I also loved the fact that the suite had street access right out my front door . The owner/operators Elaine and Luis are extremely friendly and very helpful. If I needed anything or had any questions they had answers for me and saw that my needs were met. For me this place really felt like a home away from home and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your stay, Randy. We were so glad that your trip provided long awaited medical answers & that we were able to offer you comfortable accommodation whilst you did the round of doctors. We very much hope that you, Melissa & the kids, will be able to return as a family under happier circumstances soon!
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Ajijic Suites is a very reasonably priced, small, well run hotel which is also conveniently located. It is a short walk to the plaza and many good restaurants. The Rosa Suite was very clean and comfortable with a king-size bed with a good mattress and lovely colored coordinated bedding. Although, I only stayed for one week, I got to know the downtown Ajijic area quite well. Elaine was so helpful with her suggestions. I thoroughly enjoyed my massage at the spa which was located very close to the hotel. I certainly appreciated the free phones, one for international calling and one for local calls, as well as the computer.

Elaine and Luis are friendly, helpful and attentive hosts. Elaine was always available for my questions and she gave me great suggestions on what to do and where to go. She went out of her way to make my stay a VERY comfortable one!!!

Everyday was sunny and beautiful. Lake Chapala really does have the one of the best climates in the world!!

Thank you again Elaine and Luis.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thanks for your great review, Vicky! So glad you enjoyed your stay & that it provided a warm & comfy break from the cold Canadian winter - & work! We very much enjoyed your company & hope you can make it again next year 'cos there's loads more things still for you to see & do!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

For my friend and I who stayed a month at the Ajijic Suites, our accommodations came in above expectations. We had bright, well-equipped rooms overlooking the courtyard. Weekly maid service was perfect, as was being able to get your personal laundry done for a very reasonable charge.

Having access to a free phone made keeping in touch easy. The Wi-Fi and 3 Eng. language TV stations were more than enough.

We felt free to ask questions at any time and got accurate and helpful answers.

The Suites' owners went out of their way for us, especially when my friend wasn't well. We had rides to markets and shops and a fun morning in the owner's home catching up on favorite TV shows.

Centrally located in charming Ajijic, the Ajijic Suites offer a happy refuge from the cold north!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thanks for your nice review & feedback about your stay, Mary! It's been a pleasure having you & Mary C staying with us, & so nice of Donna to include you in her "secret sunny escape" south of the border! Catching up with Downton Abbey with English tea & biscuits & fellow afficionados was an added bonus! We hope to enjoy the company of all three of you again next year!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Recently spent a month here and had a wonderful experience! My husband and I are considering relocating to the Lakeside area upon retirement. Elaine and Luis, the owners, not only made our stay extremely pleasant, but were very informative in providing information about the area for those who are considering retirement here The hotel room was large and comfortable and whatever we needed Elaine and Luis went out of their way to provide. We could not ask for better service! Elaine and Luis have since become our friends and we hope to return their in the future and would not hesitate recommending this hotel to family or friends! Xiomara Gomez

Room Tip: Book early as all the rooms are unique and in demand especially during the high season (September to...