“Very friendly staff with strong family feel.”
Review of La Nueva Posada

La Nueva Posada
Ranked #4 of 26 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Benbrook, Texas, United States
“Very friendly staff with strong family feel.”
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed five nights during Thanksgiving holiday. Close to everything Ajijic and on the shore of Lake Chapala. We will return. This community may be my retirement home. Gringos from U.S. and Canada are plentiful and welcoming.

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank R0nR812

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Benbrook,
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed five days and couldn't have found a better place right on Lake Chapala. The food was great, the owner was so nice and the place was kept clean. The whole town of Ajijic, Mexico was fantastic. A quaint little place with more gringos than Mexicans. We met a lot of nice expats that have lived there for years and couldn't say enough about how they loved it. A small village with a big heart and great food all around.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor (no elevators) that faced the lake. We slept with out balcony door...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sandiftworth
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 November 2012

The owners and attendants were all very accommodating even before we set foot upon this charming little place. They answered all of our questions in a timely and professional manner. Our children were welcomed and that made our experience even more pleasurable. The owner made every effort to make us feel content. The entire trip was well organized thanks to their suggestions. We are happy to recommend this beautiful lake haven to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Arali
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I spent two weeks in Ajijic at the La Nueva Posada and it exceeds as described. The three course breakfast was awesome very day and is included in the rate. The service is outstanding. Mike and his staff go the extra above and beyond making you welcome and at home. I will definitely go back and I hope it is very soon. Loved Ajijic and the weather is the greatest! Don't hesitate to make this your home in Ajijic.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank GaleStanley
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I lived in Ajijic when I was a kid and really got to know the town when it was a true Mexican village with a small American expat community of artists and writers (1973). When I was there the posada was right across from my house. My old house is now a shop called Mi Ajijic. The old posada is now a restaurant, which is why I couldn't find it at first. The Nueva Posada is several blocks down on Donato Guerra,but still on the lake. Despite my initial disorientation I found it and totally fell in love with it. It's run by the Eager family, who although they're American by birth are truly connected to their Mexican community. The style is classic Mexican Spanish colonial and the staff not only helped us plan fun excursions, but also helped me connect to the Ajijic of my youth. The food at the Posada is classic Jalisco Mexican, the service is great, and the setting is even better than the original Posada. Given my original 1970's pre invasion experience of Ajijic I was afraid I wouldn't recognize the place, but I found that although much had changed, Ajijic had retained its essential Mexican quality. The Nueva Posada was part of this. It feels like an authentic part of the village.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank nhmikey
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed 12 June 2012

There is no better place to stay or to eat in Ajijic. I live here, have for almost four years, and the Eagers are my dear friends. I cannot say enough good about the hotel, the restaurant, of the owners.
All of us who live here feel the same. My son (from L.A.), my sister (from southern Indiana) both agree with me. This is possibly the best and most comfortable hotel in Mexico, owned by a Canadian/ Mexican family. Try it!!!

Room Tip: I would choose the second floor; all face the lake.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Anita H
Tianjin, China
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My husband and I spent two weekends this winter at La Nueva Posada- visiting my mother, who stayed there for 7 weeks. (She opted to stay in pretty Ajijic rather than my city apt. in Guadalajara). We also made many Saturday day trips there and ate in the restaurant several times. Every experience we had was wonderful. My mother grew up in Mexico and speaks Spanish fluently, and therefore came to know the staff very well. The waiters, who have worked there for years, are incredibly sweet, she says.They just take their work very seriously. Moreover, they are dedicated to the owners, the Eager family. Judy Eager and her son Michael were incredibly welcoming to my mother. Their goal is to have happy guests and they are the nicest people. They also let my mother bring her 3 lb. Chihuahua, who is an angel. (They do not allow the dog to be left alone in the room, though, so do not worry about any possible howling). My mother stayed in room 109, which was large and had a pretty sitting area looking over the lake and a part of the garden restaurant. It was lovely. We also really loved the restaurant and the food! I recommend sitting in the garden area; it opens onto a pretty garden with flowers and statuette framed by the lake. My favorite menu item was the filet mignon, but the casual food like the burgers are fantastic as is the fish & chips. The chef makes her own tartar sauce, and the cole slaw is made from Judy's old family recipe. My husband preferred the Panchos- tostadas with a mixture of toppings. I think our favorite part of the whole experience was that the customers are a wonderful blend of extranjeors (foreigners) and Mexicans. The Mexican families go there for nice, long meals. I would consider that a great compliment to the Eager family.
PS We swam in the pool!

Room Tip: Room 109 overlooks the lake and the garden restaurant. My husband liked the rooms overlooking the sm...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ginny46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ajijic
Real de Chapala
#2 of 26 in Ajijic
La Riberena
La Riberena
#2 of 6 in Ajijic

Been to La Nueva Posada? Share your experiences!