“Excellent food and service--New Orleans cuisine, not "African"”
Review of Gossip's Kitchen

Gossip's Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 149 Restaurants in Ajijic
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Oakland, California
“Excellent food and service--New Orleans cuisine, not "African"”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Gossip's Kitchen is my favorite restaurant in Lakeside. So far, it is the only restaurant which cooks salmon properly, i.e., "rare". If salmon is overdone, it's like styrofoam in texture and lack of flavor. The salmon sandwich is brilliant: grilled salmon on a bun with greens, sliced apple and chutney. What a combo--messy to eat, but worth it.
The service is always friendly and attentive. No problems with English.
We sit on the terrace overlooking the busy carretera. We enjoy the passing scene of pedestrians and motor traffic. The modern buses pass regularly.
I don't understand calling the cuisine "African". It is New Orleans/Cajun, which has influences from parts of Africa, France and the US South. There is gumbo, jambalaya, cornbread, plus fresh oysters and other seafood. Africa is a huge continent, with many different countries and cultures. We've dined at Ethiopian restaurants, where the food is served on a bread (injera) plate, and eaten with the bread rather than utensils. We've been to Moroccan restaurants, Egyptian restaurants--all African, all very different from the cuisine at Gossip's.

• Visited July 2014

Westport, Connecticut
“Expensive by local standards, but worth it!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Last week I finally ate at Gossips Restaurant, which I have been avoiding because of its location on a busy corner. I was glad I did! It was difficult to choose my entry, and I almost ordered the Rum and Coke Mariinated Grilled Pork Ribs, which I heard was wonderful. But finally I asked for the Satchmos Grilled Rib Eye Steak, the most expensive dish on the menu at 149 pesos (about US$11.75). It was my first real steak in a year, since steak in Mexican restaurants is usually very thin and well done and hard (for me) to chew. I was in heaven with every bite, and was even able to take half of it home to enjoy the next day. My dinner companion ordered their Curry of the Day, which varies, but which didn't disappoint. We shared a heavenly banana bread pudding, way too much for one person. The restaurant also serves chicken and seafood. I will definitely be going there again. The chef previously worked at another well-known Ajijic Restaurant and has a following, and for good reason.

• Visited July 2014
Brantford, Canada
“Best Crab Cakes”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went for the crab cakes and were rewarded with the best we have ever had anywhere. The chef will not make them unless he can get fresh crab from his supplier.

• Visited February 2014
Ajijic, Mexico
“A Must Go”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great attentive and friendly service. Interesting and creative menu and the presentation of each dish is beautiful. Every meal we have had has been delicious. Try the wonderful daily specials. Food and service is consistent - a winner of a restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
Ajijic, Mexico
“Good Food-Good Service!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Gossips has an interesting and varied menu. Many of the dishes are based
on cajun favors.The food is consistent and the wait staff are friendly and
professional. The clam chowder is a winner and so are the crab cakes. There
is a daily special worth checking out too! Prices are reasonable. The only down
side is the location. It's on a corner on the main drag and as the cars go by it
can be noisy and dusty. There is an inside area that is quieter and pleasant if
you prefer.