“Unbelievably gorgeous setting! Lovely food! EXCELLENT service!”

Hacienda del Lago Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 161 Restaurants in Ajijic
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at Hacienda del Lago is in located in our central garden courtyard and grand salon. Serving Lunch and dinner Thursday - Saturday as our Famous 6 course Sunday Brunch, seating is limited and reservation are recommended, but not required.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I can't imagine finding a more lovely setting to leisurely spend an afternoon and enjoy great food. The courtyard/gardens are among the prettiest we've ever experienced. There is both indoor and outdoor dining and the hacienda itself is filled with amazing furniture, bookcases, flowers…it's just exquisite. The service was exceptional because we had 2 in our party of four that were vegetarians (no meat or fish) and the chef was happy to create an entire menu for them. And, they loved the food. I've been to Tango as well and while the food is great at Tango, this restaurant/hotel easily surpasses Tango by leaps and bounds. If you're looking for a quiet, comfortable, peaceful, buecolic place, then this is it! Tips--this isn't a good choice for people with children even though I'm sure the staff would make them welcome. And, considering the experience, the price is very reasonable. We'll be back to try their special Sunday brunch…and to stay in the hotel.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We went for the $250 peso (each) lunch with wine. Really looked forward to a nicer dining experience in Ajijic. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous. Service was good but seems they need a bit more training. They brought some good bread but no dish to eat off of. Held the bread over our napkins.We each tried a different starter and main. The calamari starter was tough. The starter of mushrooms stuffed with duck was bland and came covered in an odd purple/grey type sauce. Both dishes were served barely lukewarm. The main of seared tuna was very tough and poorly done with no flavour and served with wilted lettuce (brown black spots- not from the heat of the tuna). The wine served with lunch was nice. Maybe we caught them on a bad day?? Cheers and happy eats....

3  Thank Vivafood
NamasteHospitality, Owner at Hacienda del Lago Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am very sorry and extremely concerned by your experience. While I cannot pinpoint exactly what table you were or what day you were here based on your review I can tell which week based on the menu. I would like to discuss this more with you and also offer a complimentary lunch to come back. I'm confident that we will change your opinion and that this was an unfortunately rare instance on our part.

Please feel free to contact me at sales@haciendadellagoajijic.com and I will be delighted to arrange another meal on me at your convenience.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I want to give them a 5, because they really and truely are the best place to eat in Ajijic. Compare them against the yardstick of every other local restaurant and Pierrot Au Lac is leagues ahead in food, ambience, style, entertainment and service. So in Ajijic they score a 5 out of 5. But if I have to remember that this is an international website, then I also have to bear that in mind and use other restaurants I have eaten at on my travels as another yardstick. Restaurants such as the 2 michelin starred Restaurant at the Dolder Grande Hotel in Zurich, who gets a 4.5 star on trip advisor. Using that yardstick and others like it then, everything being relative, Pierrot Au Lac is a three. Will I eat here again. Yes and often. I loved it. Three people with drinks, appetizers, full meal, wine, brandy and live jazz was about US$120.

2  Thank Semalu
NamasteHospitality, Owner at Hacienda del Lago Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience and find us to be the best restaurant in Ajijic, although I must admit that I'm rather confused by your "average" rating and the method that you used to come to that conclusion. Trip Advisor is split up to each location and in my opinion, and I believe the general consensus of the Trip Advisor Community is that each experience be rated accordingly. We do not claim to be on pare with or competing with a michelin star european restaurant, nor are we charging upwards of 200 euros for dinner like Dolder Grand.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The atmosphere and service were excellent. The pepper steak was done to perfection. The escargot could have had more garlic, parsley and butter. (My personal preference. Espreso was one of the best I have had in Mexico.

3  Thank Donna D

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your meal so much. You will be happy to know that we are tweaking our escargot a bit and starting to make it with out Homemade Butter and adding a bit more garlic and thyme. We hope to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The setting is stunning, the food mouthwateringly memorable, and the service outstanding. From the moment you are handed your lavender scented towel to refresh at the table to the last sip of after-dinner liquor and cappuccino, this place is fabulous. I have now been twice and will take ALL my visitors here for a truly gorgeous night out in Ajijic.

3  Thank StephanieRevakDecker

Hi Stephanie,

I'm thrilled that you enjoy our place so much. We are eager to impress your out of town guests and look forward to seeing you here more.

Saludos!