“Beware of smokers”

Jardin Plaza Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 161 Restaurants in Ajijic
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Unlike other reviewers' comments, I was happy with the service - perhaps because I ordered in Spanish? My shrimp sandwich with fries was tasty, and what can go wrong with a Coca Light con hielo? People-watching on the plaza was interesting, and a waiter promptly shooed away a wandering street dog. I was offered a table inside, but they would have had to turn on the lights for me - and I came for the view. What I didn't expect was that they allowed smoking on the patio. I know; it's outside and isn't supposed to be an issue. But it is!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Service is indeed slow. Everybody knows it including the staff. It is pretty much a standing joke with staff and us regulars. Small kitchen and always crowded with hungry diners. Not sure why it is always so crowded if the food is as bad as some have written. Guess it is just a whole bunch of folks who have no taste. I have always enjoyed the shaded patio with umbrellas overlooking the busy Ajijic Plaza and the always clean restrooms. Smoking outside. Nonsmoking inside. Try the chicken curry salad, my favorite. Prices fair and reasonable, food above average and service friendly and with a smile. One of my favorite places to people watch and never be rushed.

2  Thank lakesideterry
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Ok, there are a LOT of wonderful places to eat in Ajijic but this is definitely not one of them. (Recommend Go, Gossips, Richie88, Black and White cafe, Simply Thai, etc etc...there are many.) But I showed up here the first day of my arrival having a memory from 10 years before of delicious tortilla soup and kind service. No more.

The breakfast was almost inedible. Rubbery eggs and cold tortillas. The waiter was actually one the rudest I've ever encountered. Threw a dirty bottle of honey on the table when I asked for some, and it took three tries and reminders to get a cup of tea. The place, including the bathroom, was filthy.

There are so many other lovely places in Ajijic, including right on the square. Beware.

5  Thank tigressa
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Because of its great location, we looked forward to eating here, but of the dozens of restaurants and street food around the lake that we tried, this was our one negative experience. As a woman alone I was ignored for about 20 minute by all the waitresses, while several people sat, ordered, and were served around me. I would have left but I was waiting for my husband; when he arrived it still took over ten minutes for us to be brought menus--just as we were gathering our things to leave. We had to ask for the chips and water given promptly to the other 40 or so diners, and just as our food finally arrived, someone lit a cigarette directly downwind of us, so we had to move inside and miss the enjoyable plaza. After all that, the food was mediocre and rather pricey. There is no need to pay too much for Gringo-ized Mexican food here when there are so many far superior places to choose from!

3  Thank Chris F
Reviewed 29 December 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the best thing about this place is the location. The food isn't bad, but isn't great either. My favorite dish here is the queso fundido, which they do pretty well. The meat they use for the steaks is average. You'll likely meet one of the town's stray dogs as you sit, eat, and watch the visitors and townspeople stroll by the plaza. At night, this place turns into a bar/disco.

1  Thank Hansblix