“Our guaranteed reservation was rented to someone else and we were cancelled!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Patzcuaro
El Refugio en Patzcuaro
Ranked #8 of 31 Patzcuaro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This property should not be listed under B & B's, as I reserved 3 rooms for our group for Day of the Dead in November (7 people) and the property manager, Martin informed me today that the Casita, where a family of 3 would be staying has been rented for 1 year and we can no longer stay there. I am in the tourism industry and this is not a good or accepted business practice, to take a reservation & confirm it...then to inform the client that someone else is renting it. They should be listed under Properties for Rent (not B & B's). Now I have to find a place for my group. Very bad business practice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 March 2012

This I believe is the best place I have stayed in and I have traveled alot ! , an incredible atmosphere , Martin was so kind making sure everything was perfect for me , orphlia's breakfasts incredible y muffins !! it's enchanting a home from home stuffed with Mexican artefacts , the salon is liking sitting in a museum very Cosy , roaring fire places ! I will be returning to this incredible spot for sure ! central Americas best kept secret ! Or the world !

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We spent a month here, and couldn't have asked for anything more. We appreciated the attention to detail- extra towels, flannel sheets when the weather got chilly, well equipped kitchen, lovely antiques and artwork, comfortable furnishings, beautiful gardens and courtyards. This is the most peaceful place we have stayed in Mexico. Wonderful hospitality, we will definitely stay here again and highly recommend El Refugio en Patzcuaro. Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Debra T
Reviewed 26 January 2012

If you are looking for a most enjoyable hotel experience, El Refugio B and B is a must in Patzcuaro. The rooms are lovely and clean. Hot water abundant. Beautiful quiet gardens are within the Colonial establishment. I was delighted to be warmly greeted by Hector who gave us the choice of several rooms. Breakfast the next morning consisted of homemade blackberry muffins, freshly squeezed juice, hot coffee, and an omelet with vegetables and freshly made roasted ranchero sauce. You can see photos of his kitchen in the book Mexican Cocina, featuring kitchens of notable Mexican kitchens. His personal artwork collection scattered around the property added a dimension to my enjoyment.

1  Thank happytraveler4646
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Three of us recently made reservations for one night at El Refugio en Patzcuaro, enroute to Troncones. To our delight, the owner, Hector, warmly greeted us, showed us the rooms available, then offered a room each for our friend and for us as a couple. Our pal had twin beds, living room and complete kitchen. Ours on the second level was large with a lovely sitting area and huge window for looking out over the mts. We got two for the price of one!
To top it off, we had a wonderful breakfast with delicious freshly baked blackberry muffins, the balance of which Hector gave us for the road trip.
Location is perfect, about 3 easy blocks for the large plaza, small plaza and market. Just far enough to be away from the bustle and allow a leisurely stroll home after dinner.
Would stay at El Refugio B & B again.

Room Tip: We had and liked best the rooms in the back section of the B & B. They seemed bigger and bright...
1  Thank boomersooner5154
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I had been wanting to visit Patzcuaro, but all the media reports regarding the violence had detained me. I had an opportunity to visit during the Christmas and New Year's Holiday so i took a chance. I stayed at El Refugio during my stay. I must say that during my week-long stay I did not experience any of the experiences reported by the New York times or U.S. media.

During my stay, i felt very safe. Martin, had incredible knowledge of the region and pointed out the right people to give me a tour of the Basilica of Our Lady of Health and other major spots in the area. I was interested in Mexican folk art, and Hector and Martin provided the right places that proved an amazing experience of this region of Mexico.

The Hospitality provided by Hector and Martin was truly beyond expectation. From having the fireplace lit (with real firewood) close to the time that i was ready for bed, to the savory and fresh Mexican Breakfasts that were ready for me as soon as i woke up, el Refugio at times felt better than home.

I had a fun and relaxing time, the decoration of each room (I stayed at Guicha) was very cozy and homely, the location (walking distance from the Plaza Principal) was ideal.

I will definitely be back to Patzcuaro, and when i'm back, after this wonderful experience, i only have one place in mind: El Refugio.

Room Tip: The patio is very welcoming and the room to stay is Guicha!
2  Thank Manuel D
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I was lucky enough to stay there for a few nights twice already and I would totally do it again. The rooms are clean, safe and very well located, the staff is always helpfull and warm. By far the best place to stay at if you are planning on making a trip to Patzcuaro an amazing everlasting memory.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends