“Wide variety of Articles, very artistic and Reasonable”

Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Tonala
Albuquerque, New Mexico
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wide variety of Articles, very artistic and Reasonable”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The Tonala market place on any day has a wide range of artistic items at a much lower price than metro Guadalajara or Tlaquepaque.
Of special interest is the glass blowing factory, Fabrica Vidrio, which sells many seconds at ridiculously low prices, 10 and 15 pesos each.
Also some beautiful antique shops such as the Forja Espanola on the Main Street.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Marquita G

• Turkish first
Prince George, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Overwhelming but great treasures”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Tons of stalls, overwhelming with all the market goods. Great prices. Need to look and check out as there is lots of different prices for the same items. For big items you can hire a person who will take them to your hotel.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Col1tur2
Guaymas, Mexico
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fun and Good Eating Also”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We decided to hit this on a Saturday since we don't like huge crowds. Wonderful shopping with many stalls selling things as well as the shops. I felt like I was going from one gallery to another the things were so lovely. Since we had done Mercado Libertad yesterday, I have to say that I enjoyed Tonalá much more. I found more variety and more hand crafted items. I'll probably try Mercado Libertad again but shopping seems easier in Tonalá. The smells from the little food stands were delicious but we decided to cool off in a restaurant with a shady courtyard beside a lovely fountain. Mariscos Amigaza I think was the name. We ordered a house specialty Piña Rellena which was a scooped out 1/2 pineapple filled with sauteed shrimp and chopped octopus and topped with melted cheese. It was soup like and delicious. The whole experience was quite wonderful.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Electricoutlet
Simcoe, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Fantastic Local Crafts”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We drove from Puerto Vallarta to visit Guadalajara for a couple of days, but also to come to Tonala craft market on a Thursday. It was entirely worth the trip. We spent 3 hours there and barely scratched the surface. The variety and quality were tremendous. We also found the prices to be better here than on the coast. Large red glass hearts were 30 pesos, instead of 70 or more. A large, ready-to-use molcahete was 180 instead of 250 (and I had been dreading spending 2 hours grinding rice and coarse salt to season it). We were able to find everything we had been hoping to find on this trip. We also got to the Tlaquepaque market area in the afternoon -- the shopping area is very nice and there are many lovely stores, but we much preferred Tonala, not just on price but on atmosphere and feel too.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank 65JaneC2013
Vancouver Island
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“shopping shopping and more shopping”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My 4th trip to Tonala, and I saw some new things this year. The glasswork was a highlight, market day is always chaotic, if you are shopping for specifics non-market days might make more sense. I have done both, and prefer the non-market days myself.

Visited December 2013