The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
W Punta de Mita(Punta de Mita)
View Hotel
Iberostar Playa Mita(Punta de Mita)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Casa De Mita(Punta de Mita)
View Hotel
Hotel Meson de Mita(Punta de Mita)
View Hotel
Imanta Resort(Punta de Mita)
1,256 results
All reviewsroyal sidelobsteralfredoroyal restaurantsuites poolfruit skewerspool sidemaster suitepillow menuribspalladium resortmain resortprivate restaurantpool barjacuzzi tuba la cartetravel club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2014

just arrived back from the Royal Suites, had a wonderful time, the weather was amazing everyday and evening!
After reading some reviews we weren't sure about going, but we have been to the Royal Suites Turquesa, Punta Cana and loved it, however this adult-only Punta Mita by Pallidium, it's on a smaller scale, being quaint and personal. The grounds were gorgeous and very well kept. The pool overlooks the ocean and is heated! Beach are is rocking and small but very private.
Never had any Room problems at all stayed in the Building 4, second floor, large room, clean and good maid service daily. A beautiful SPA and gym with descent equipment.
However, Ist day of arrival we had an small issue with one of the waiters info (paying for lobster) in the private restaurant but it was quickly resolved by Juan(Food & Beverage Manager) he sought us out and resolved the issue quickly, and checked in on us daily to see if we needed anything..what else could someone ask for, Juan is very customer service orientated, and has such a geniune honesty about him. He most definitely cares for his resort and the people that vacation there.
The food, over all is very good, if you wanted something , that wasn't on the menu, they would try hard to please you, so ask! we ordered lobster every night,(at NO extra charge) they didn't disappoint. we tried all the al-cartes...my personal opinion ...everyone has different expectation..of what is expected in the food catergory, over all Bamboo, great sushi, Portofinos tastey cheesecake, Ribs & More has tastey lamb , the bbq had a beautiful setting on the beach, with different bbq items, chicken, beef, and ribs, however if it doesn't suit your taste that evening, you can always go back the the Royal dining room. if the morning breakfast gets tired...you can always switch it up and do the main buffet. we also went out off the resort privately touring the local area, we ate real mexican fish,quesadilla and homemade ffries, fantastic food , enjoyed the local village,Punta de Mita, huge beachside banana margaritas , seen beautiful water-views, marina, beaches visited the marinia Puerto Vallarta which is (40 mins. for Pallidium) by car at must to see!
Thanks again, Juan, Giovanni at Hemmingways., Antonio at the RoyalSuites bar for making our vacation perfect!

Keep in mind, we experienced other people on the resort with negative views, but they did not seek out the correct information or approach the right resort personal to make there trip as enjoyable as our. ask, be kind, and respectful and you should receive and enjoy an excellent experience of the Royal Suites. J & S

Room Tip: building 5 is closest to private resturant, and pool
2  Thank jsholiday
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear jsholiday,
First of all, I would like to thank you for the good comments about your stay with your couple in our Resort and for bringing up the services that can help all visitors in their next trips. I will pass all your nice remarks to the people you mentioned in your review (Juan, Giovanni and Antonio).
I am glad that you enjoyed your vacation with us and we will take note about your good comments about our Resort, in order to improve our performance day after day, so we can do our best to make sure that every guest has a great experience here.
If you decide to come back again or if there is anything else we can do for you, please, do not hesitate to contact us directly,
Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 January 2014

It's our last morning here, and I have some time so thought I would write up my thoughts while they are still fresh in my mind. Certainly the reviews of this resort were a topic of conversation during our 9 days here.

Some background - I will be 50 shortly & travelling with my wife & another couple of similar vintage. This is our second trip to this resort - liked it so much last yr we came back. It was a different experience last yr - the resort was nearly empty & building 4 was not even being used. We got everything we ever asked for & it was truly exceptional. It is much busier this yr.

People seem polarized on this resort & to an extent I think I understand. Everything was so positive last yr we did not notice any of the flaws. When we checked in this yr we did not get several of the things we requested & after a day of travelling & being a little tired, it was not the greatest start & right away I started noticing little things that could give you a bad impression.

So let's get the bad out of the way first. The place is starting to show its age. It is not a dump but the tiles around the pool need to be fixed. It lookalike they have started to paint the front of building 5 but I didn't see any work done during our stay. There is a retaining wall along the pool with a couple of cracks that are unsightly. From the upper floors you can tell that the thatched roofs need some work. Generally minor stuff but it is time to spend some $'s.

I have read some people complain about a sewage smell. That seems to be concentrated on the walkway to the Palladium side & in about a 20 meter area. If you walk a little further it goes away. Some people have complained about bugs. I saw a few ant like bugs in the bathroom of our first room on the main floor but nothing that freaked me out. You are in a tropical climate. What would everyone write about the mosquitoes etc. we deal with in Canada in the summer? My brother moved to an upper level room early & we changed rooms later & nothing there. So if this is going to be a huge issue get off the ground floor. This has also been the case at other resorts we have stayed at. I have also seen complaints about the rooms being musty. Again, it is humid here and not what you have back home. Our room on the ground floor was SLIGHTLY musty when we checked in but 5 mins after opening the door it was fine & never noticed again. The upper levels did not seem to have this issue at all.

I would recommend building 5 if you can get in. Some people complained that #4 was noisy in the evening & it is closer to the Palladium entertainment area so I suspect it would be until 11:00 or so when the entertainment wraps up. The whole resort gets quiet by midnight. You do have to balance where you want to be. The odd numbered rooms overlook the Palladium resort so not really a great view but at least something. The even numbered rooms (at least on the ground floor) basically look at wall of trees so there is not much to see there. It was not an issue to us as we did not spend much time in the room during the day.

Beach - it is rocky on the Royal side & not really suitable for swimming but the Palladium beach is easily accessible & decent.

My 2 biggest gripes were possibly related more to some of the guests. We began referring to the music as The Near Death Experience. Funeral parlour music. We brought our own tunes 1 day. A few people asked us to turn it up then 1 guy asked us to turn it down so we gave up on it. If you want a party atmosphere by the pool go to the other side. It is quite quiet here & people want to relax. Again not a huge deal - just know what to expect.

Which brings me to the chair game. Some people were getting up at 4 am to reserve their spots. I guess if you have to have THAT spot it is worth it but not to me if on holidays. If you are just a couple, are not too picky, and get up at a reasonable time it is not a problem. If you are trying to reserve the entire front of the pool for a group then it is a problem. Someone messed with the towels/markings the fist night we were here (and it looks like again last night) so when I took what I thought was a vacant spot it led to some hard feelings & it was not pleasant. The rest of our time we said "Screw it" & went to the beds by the ocean which are way more comfortable anyway & rarely fought for. In mid afternoon people start leaving & you van move up then.

So that is the bad. Overall minor but if you focus on these things I can see where some of the negative reviews come from. Now the good.

The staff are great. We saw people screaming at the desk staff over not getting what they wanted. We politely asked for a king bed room for the other couple we were with which they could not do on our first night but did on day 2. Service was very good in the restaurant except for 1 night when they were quite busy. Food is very good on the Royal side. I have seen complaints about the lobster - folks, this is not Red Lobster - it is grilled but I found it good but a bit small. The snacks were very good. Steaks were decent but it is not Alberta AAA so again this is about expectations. This yr we only ate at the restaurant on the Royal side. Last yr we were disappointed in the a la cartes & did not try them this yr.

We always tip but it did not seem to make a big difference in the service. These people work pretty hard & I don't think they make big $'s. I did notice lots of people never tipped.

One tip - you can get hard liquor in your rooms (free) but you have to ask for it. Last yr it was just there.

The entertainment on the Palladium side seemed much better this yr than last. It drove us away last yr. We did not spend a lot of time there but what we saw was decent.

You are a little ways from PV so if city night life is your thing this may not be the place for you. Check out Sayulita & Bucarius. I went fishing out of the Fishing Co-op at Punta de Mita which is very close and had a good time.

Bring pesos if you can. Everyone hoses you on the exchange rate & oddly enough no one has change lol. If you exchange USD for pesos at a bank here you need to have your passport.

The last few nights we upgraded to the Master Suites overlooking the ocean at a cost of $120USD/night. The rooms are bigger but it is the deck with the view you are paying for. It was a great way to finish off our trip & if you can swing it I would recommend it.

So there you have it. If you focus on a few small things going wrong you could hate it. I would suggest you focus on the spectacular scenery, good food & service, & enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: Odd # rooms have better view, even # rooms are quieter
3  Thank MDBEdm

Dear MDBEdm,
Thank you for write here your comments about your stay in The Royal Suites Punta de Mita. It is important for us to know where we have failed or fallen short of your expectations.
I was very pleased to read your positive comments you had for us and your suggestions. We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding our food and beverage offerings, our service and also your view as our hotel in a spectacular scenery.
For us it is so important to know our guests opinions in order to improve our service day to day and I will take note to improve that specific areas.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.
Best regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just got back from our second trip to the Royal Suites, and again had a wonderful time (for the most part). The pools were wonderful and sooo warm. The rooms spotless and spacious, the employees very helpful and pleasant, the grounds were beautiful. Almost everything was perfect as it was before with the exception of the food and entertainment.

Last trip, the food was amazing. This time not so good. Actually - it was pretty awful and we are not picky eaters. The breakfasts were to die for last time, this time ewwwww, so we just stuck to toast and fruit. There is a head chef there from England who is apparently training the onsite chefs and making improvements. I don't know if he is the reason for the downward slide or not, but honestly the best meal we had was a Club House Sandwich off the Bar snack menue. The 1 night we had the "Chicken Catcatorie" (which was actually nothing more than a chicken thigh with this gross gravey on it) and my husband "lost his lunch" within 10 mins of eating it. (Not exactly what you want to be doing after going out for supper) I tried strip loin steak, it had the same disgusting gravy and was so rare it was cold and rubbery in the center. (I almost lost my lunch over that one!!) The tenderloin medallions - same thing. I mean - the items on the menue sounded wonderful.....until it came to eating it.

The nightly entertainment used to be excellent too. This year it consisted of basically a group of 20 year olds dancing around and lip sincing to various music, or another night it was audience members basically being called up to play musical chairs. (Pretty juvenile) We gave up after the 3rd night cause it didnt improve.

This used to be our all time favorite resort, but unfortunately not so much anymore. If they get things back the way they used to be - you bet, wed be back in a heartbeat. The way it is now, no we wouldn't return nor recommend it to others as we had done in the past.

3  Thank Notimpressed_13

Dear Notimpressed_13,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of our hotel in your 2nd stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product.

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel and I was very happy to read that you liked the staff and the facilities that we have. We will check your not so good comments about the food this time or your remarks about the night entertainment. For us it is so important to know our guests opinions in order to improve our service day to day.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasure experience again.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I went to this resort to enjoy some sun and relax and it was just what I expected. After reading some reviews I wasn't sure if it would be what I hoped but from the time we got to the lobby for the Royal Suites we were treated as valued guests. We were first asked what we wanted to drink and I must say the Tony in the lobby bar makes the best margarita on premises. He was always friendly and smiling and willing to make what you asked for or his own "special", which I think he makes up depending on your taste.
We were shown to our rooms ( I met a friend and we had a girls get away time) and we were both pleased. The room was clean and the maid did a great job each day. There is a form that you fill out that you can list what you prefer. There is a mini-fridge and when I told them what I liked in there they only filled it with what I wanted. It was great. You can also choose 2 big bottles of your favorite type of liquor. The rum and vodka I chose were in my room after I turned in the form and they are for you to consume while you stay. If you take the bottles with you then you pay for them but if you drink them while there it is included. We found the drinks at the pool bar were not very strong so we just added plenty of rum from the bottles they supplied and we had more than we could ask for.
The bartender and the guys who come around to get your drink order around the pool and bring you skewers of fresh fruit or take your food order are fantastic. The staff is very hard working and happy to get you what you want. I have nothing but good things to say, Macario and Roman were my favorite but they were all great. The pools are warm and the location is beautiful.
I could complain about the rocks in the beach or the loud folks at dinner one night but why? What's wrong with the waves caused by the rocks crashing on the shore? What's wrong with people getting a bit drunk and loud and having fun? I would stay there again and I bet I would have just as much fun, the people who work there would make sure of it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kim H

Dear Kim H,
Thank you for your kind words about our Resort and services, we appreciated it very much. We continuously work to make every guest’s holiday a great experience, and it is very important for us to realize that our effort is successful. As you said we hope you and your group have had a great time with us, especially the kids.
I hope that if you decide to spend your next vacation with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let us know.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I have been to PV five times now in the past 10 years. Usually we stay at a 3-4 star resort, normally all-inclusive. It was our honeymoon and so we splurged for the five star at Royal Suites. From our first impression, it was great, looked like a nice place. A bit rocky on the beach and full of sea urchins, so not really swimmable, so we stuck to the pool, which was fine by us. The service staff were generally overworked in the restarurant and pool areas, but Roman was great at getting us our drinks. The tips usally keep them coming back quickly. We often ventured to see our FAVORITE bartender Antonio (Tony) at the front lobby bar. Unfortunately, he doesn't get the tips like the pool and restaurant waiters get. I think Tony needs to be moved in a busier area because he is great, funny, will give Spanish lessons and makes you just want to give him a big squeeze for being such a great young man. He makes an AWESOME flaming spanish coffee (or tea) that kept us coming back to see him more often, and bringing strangers we met along the way. Way to go Tony! We loved you!!

The waiters/bartenders in general were VERY hard working. I would say bring a gringo teenager from Canada and show them how to REALLY work hard. I was impressed at how hard they work.

The food was pretty decent, but we are not picky! Loved the fresh salsa, guacamole and green juice in the morning. Loved also, the Bambu restaurant which served pretty good sushi and spring rolls. We tried every alcoholic beverage on the menu I think and they drinks were all good!

The pool was heated and just absolutely perfect! Loved to see the young senor out there testing the water daily as well.

Now for the not so good part.... we found a scoprion in our room on the main floor (under the towel). We didn't panic because we knew that there are some 50,000 scorpion stings a year in Mexico, with the majority of them being in the Jalisco/Nayarit states. So we knew we were going to the jungle, we have to respect the habitat of the critters. We cautiously STOMPED on it and informed the front desk. They fumigated immediately and had us moved to a nice suite on the 2nd floor. We realize that geckos, insects, etc. are normal to that area and don't worry about it too much.

There was also a sewage smell whenever the sewage pump would go on underneath the main pool restaurant so that was unappealing, but we would just move our chairs.
Now for the even WORSE part. Since it was our honeymoon, we had planned to take a day trip to Rincon de Guayabitos to meet our friends there for a day and have a photo-shoot on the beach. We had arranged our transportation a month before we left Manitoba and arranged it with a reputable taxi company who had been used by locals and highly recommended by fellow Canadians. A set price and pick-up/drop-off time was arranged a month before our trip. We corresponded over email and when the taxi driver that WE arranged came to pick us up at the Royal Suites, he was not allowed in. He was threatened by four of the taxi-drivers (3 males and 1 female) who looked very sketchy. They would not let him pick us up without paying a "fee" of 350 pesos for stealing there business. Our taxi driver was literally sweating and said, just pay them and he would take it off the agreed upon price. We literally felt like we were threatened and imprisoned. For the rest of the week we had to watch our backs and it felt like we were dealing with cartel. This was horrible that we could not even arrange our own transportation without being threatened into paying a fee. I was NOT impressed and for this reason alone and because those intimidating taxi drivers at the resort were wearing "Palladium Club" white shirts, I will NEVER return to that resort. It's unfortunate because there are some really good people working there. But those taxi drivers ruined it for us.

Room Tip: 5th block is close to the pool but you hear the disco.
5  Thank DanaH_MB

Dear DanaH_MB,
Thanks a lot for your comments and for giving us your feedback of your stay in The Royal Suites Punta de Mita. I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us and also I will pass your nice remarks to Antonio, as you mentioned in your review.
We regret the problems that you have been caused by the taxi drivers you met at the hotel. We take note of that, because these people are not staff of our hotel, they make a service for us but they are not our employees.

Thank you again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Best regards,