“Perfect for a Relaxing Getaway!”

The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Perfect for a Relaxing Getaway!”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My husband and I wanted an adults only vacation before our next baby is born in May. We left our 2 year old home with Grandma and Grandpa and headed out. Since I was pregnant food was my #1 priority and my husband's #1 priority was to be in a location that was away from the city hustle. The Royal Suites Punta Mita was the perfect location for us. We basically ate 3 meals a day at the restaurant that overlooks the Royal pool and the ocean. The food was amazing I loved the crepes at breakfast, the fresh fruit and the painter's palette. They make awesome strong coffee and bring you fresh milk table side. At lunch we found the Mexican speciality was always a winner, but there is a variety and the menu changes everyday so you're sure to find something that fits your taste. From the day servers we loved Hector he was always cracking jokes and smiling he really took great care of us, but all the staff are amazing they have an excellent system to provide attentive table service and the views of the ocean make every meal so enjoyable. Dinner service was amazing you could have a 3 or 4 course meal and something from the meal would always stand out in your mind. From the night servers we loved Javier we had ceasars mine was virgin, but yes they make real ceasars there with clam, worchester, salt, the whole bit and the next night he just brought them to our table. Just small touches like that helped make you feel the effects of their commitment to personalized service. The rooms were clean and spacious we really didn't spend much time there just to sleep and shower. The wireless internet is free and available all over the Royal Suites side even the pool area and out to the beach so you won't have any problem staying connected if you so choose. Our main daytime activity was to set up on a cabana bed on the first tier where you got the onshore breeze tan, read, eat lunch, and then go for a walk on the beach. I read 3 books while there and they have book shelves with a loan, donate, exchange type of thing so luckily I didn't have to buy any books while I was there. We didn't do any excursions as we really wanted to relax and unwind, but we heard about a bunch of excursions and they all sounded fun to do if you're looking for more adventure. In the mid afternoon we spotted whales on 4 out of the 7 days we were there which was pretty spectacular and special to see. One of the things we loved most was how quiet the beach is and there are lots of tidal pools where you can go exploring for sea life. We would go exploring for 1 hr or so everyday after lunch and we never got bored of things to see or places to go. We explored the Paladium side too and it's lovely we made it to the beach BBQ one night (Royal side can sign up 1 day in advance with the butler or concierege) the BBQ ribs were amazing we ate salad and appetizer at the Royal restuarant and we were glad we did. We booked one night for Viva Mexico, but scheduled dinner just didn't suite us so we never actually made it. We enjoyed the food and service on the Royal side so much that we just ate there basically 3 meals a day. If by chance you arrive really late and you're hungry the Sports Bar is the only place on resort that serves food really late (we found this out too late to benefit us so FYI). The only small downside was the entertainment I was hoping the evening shows would have a bit more Wow factor they were somewhat entertaining, but they just didn't captivate me. All in all though the resort was perfect we loved the location, it's a clean resort, with a quiet beach and lots of sea life the food when ordered a la carte at Royal restaurant is truly 4 star. It was the perfect adults only getaway for us before we have baby # 2 we were able to strengthen our connection as a couple and relax in luxury.

Room Tip: We were in room 5101 we did face the disco and show, but found with the patio doors and curtains clo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela M
AnaMCastro, General Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Pamela M
Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay in The Royal Suites Punta de Mita. I am glad to know you and your husband enjoyed your vacations with us before your next baby born. I will take note about your comments regarding our staff and I will pass it on to them. For us is gratifying to know our guest enjoyed their vacations and we are providing our best services for them.
I hope you decide to come back in the future and that we can meet your expectations again.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We returned home two weeks ago from a three week vacation at the Royal Suites Punta Mita and
can't stop thinking about what a wonderful time we had.
We were a little worried about our choice because of some of the negative reviews on trip advisor
but I can tell you now we are so glad we chose this resort.
Our great stay here was thanks to all the friendly vacationers we met there and most of all because of the wonderful staff. Just a few to thank are Alfredo and all the staff in the dining room, Luciano, Marcelleno, Roman Marcario and Moses from the bar and our two concierges
Yesi (and little Elaina to be) and Misael. Also Thank you to Rosario who took such good care of us and our room!! There wasn't a single staff member who didn't say "hola" and make us feel welcome.
This is an older resort and there are a few signs of wear but they are constantly working and fixing. Before we left they did have the large fountain working again. The grounds are immaculate and make walking and exploring a pleasure.
The infiniti pool at the Royal Suites was a warm and perfect spot for watching the show that the whales put on for us almost every day.
The beach in front of the Royal Suites is rocky but water shoes solves the problem. If you don't like the rocks, the beach in front of the Palladium side is lovely and sandy.
The entertainment at night was "top notch" and varied.
The only problem I could se for someone is if they have trouble with stairs. We found them a little difficult at first as we were on the third floor but after a few days it was a game to see who could get to the top first and enjoyed the workout!! We were not on the jungle side of the building and enjoyed the hustle and bustle of people going by.
Thank you all for a terrific holiday and making us feel welcome. It's the best we've had in the past years.
See you all next year!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the "jungle" side are quieter. If you have a problem with stairs ask for the sec...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynne C
Dear Lynne C
I have read your comments and wish to thank you for what you said about our hotel. We take all the comments and suggestions we receive very seriously in our efforts to improve our hotel and our day to day services. For us is so important to know we are meet our guests expectations!!
I hope to meet you next year and if there is anything else in which I can be of service to you let me know.
kelowna
Reviewed 10 March 2014

|We just returned from our 7th trip to the Royal Suites Feb 21-28th and once again were not disappointed. If what you want is a beautiful location, quiet, relaxing vacation with excellent service, this is the place to go. If you want a loud party atmosphere this is not it. As always a large part of the reason we return is the excellent staff who almost feel like family when they welcome us back. Muchos gracias to the best bartending staff in Mexico, Macario, Roman, Sergio, Marcelinas, Antonio; the best wait staff Alfredo, Hector, Miguel, Gisifredo, Tino, Javier, Miguel (both of them) and if I've forgotten a name, my apologies because they were all so attentive and truly help to make each and every meal a very pleasant experience. Can't do enough for us. Also our butlers Mauro and Misrael. Misrael, gracias for the heart. We hope to see you all again next time. We always eat at the Punta Mita restaurant and it is always excellent, the orange juice has improved and I enjoyed a few mimosas this time around. The rooms are comfortable, clean and cool and our maids did an excellent job as well. Don't hesitate to tip the staff as they all work really hard and deserve it. Without them it wouldn't be as wonderful an experience. Ana, it was a pleasure to meet you this time around. As always I need to work on my Spanish as I feel most of the staff makes such a great effort to speak English. Hasta luego my friends.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pvb2013
Dear pvb2013
It was a pleasure to meet you too and I am glad to read you enjoyed your return trip to our resort. I will pass your kind words to our staff. For us is gratifying to know our guest enjoyed their vacations and we are providing our best services for them.
I hope meet you again in the future and that we can meet your expectations again
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We read the reviews on this hotel and some reviews had us worried so we contacted our travel agent and she verified that this hotel was very reputable so we decided to try it.

We had a wonderful holiday, it was my husbands first time to Mexico and he totally enjoyed himself.

We stayed on the adult only side (Royal Suites) and we were not disappointed. Our room was totally taken care not one complaint. The front desk staff, pool staff and restaurant staff were awesome. Our pool on the adult side was beautiful, we could watch the whales right from our pool.

Just a couple of things to note: there are no elevators that we could see at either hotel so if you need assistance via elevator this may not be the hotel for you. At the Royal Suites there is 3 levels and two flights of stairs for each level. On the one side of the hotel its pretty noisy when the night show and band are playing. These shows are nightly so if you go to bed earlier than 11:30pm then maybe ask for the opposite side. We totally enjoyed the nightly shows and the bands.

We ventured over to the other hotel (family side) and went to the Mexican Restaurant and the Buffet. Both were very good we had no issues except the Mexican Restaurant was a little slow that night but I think they were short handed other than that no problems. I've been to Mexico numerous times and the food quality here is equal to any other 5 star restaurant in Mexico.

We would definately come here again to the adult side! Thank you to all the staff!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bev B
Dear Bev B
I read your comments about royal Suites Punta de Mita and I would like to thank you for your very good comments about this hotel. I am really glad that you and your husband enjoyed your stay in our hotel and I would like to let you know that we will send that information to all our staff that made that our guest enjoyed their vacations with us.
Please, let me know if you are planning to come back here and if I can help you with your reservation or anything else

Hoping to meet you
Guadalajara, Mexico

1 hour to check in.
Screw up with reservation via Expedia resulted in this outfit charging me 50% more than my original reservation. 2 hour discussion with Expedia and manager on site resulted in no satisfaction. Room was not non-smoking as requested, All restaurants on site other than buffet were closed for reservations by 2PM, which is problematic considering you're not allowed to check in until 3PM. After 1 hour ordeal at check in, everything closed except picked over (and just-about-to-close) buffet. Bars on beach closed by the time we got something to eat.
This was a two night stay, and would have been half of that had I known that Expedia was going to blow us off over reservation problems.
There are many, many places to stay in PV, NV and PM. You will get far better treatment and value anywhere else.
Oh, please see attached photo of room's 'view'. Don't let the site photos fool you, this is what you get.

Room Tip: Best tip for this place is to go elsewhere. Second tip is not to use Expedia.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frank H
Dear Frank H
It is easy to blame the hotel about your touroperator problem or reservation problem. I always recommended to our guests or even all clients to wants to go somewhere they take a look about the information to the hotel in the oficial page or with their touroperator. If Expedia charge you more money, perhaps you did something wrong and it is not hotel responsability. In the Royal Suites we have breakfast, lunch and dinner a la carte in a especific restaurant and we already have room service 24hrs so it is very strange you do not have the oportunity to eat... The bar on the royal pool close at midnight, are sure about our services?
I am sorry if we can not meet your expectations but I can read we did not have any responsability about your problem with your tour operator reservation and even we will try to help you calling to expedia and offer to you differents options to solve your problem and you reject all of them.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If you have to be near the crowd and all the night clubs this is not your destination. An hour from Puerto Vallarta by bus or taxi this resort is slightly out of the main stream but wants for nothing.

This all inclusive slightly exclusive vacation aside from a Motor Vehicle crash blocking the road to the resort for about an hour on arrival and Royale Tours forgetting to pick us up at the end of our 10 days. ( A quick phone call and a little scurrying by them we were placed in a taxi and unfortunately made it home on time. We did not want to leave.) Was perfect.

The food on the Royal Suites was never boring and always changing. There was only one restaurant on the Royal Suites side (over 18 years of age only). The excellent quality of food was matched by the service. Always courteous and very accommodating.
If you're from Alberta the Mexican idea of 'steak ' will disappoint but the ribs and chicken at the beach front BBQ will make up for that small disappointment.
Upon arrival at the lobby in the Royal Suites we were greeted by the bartender while waiting to check in with a refreshing non alcoholic citrus cocktail. Alcohol was an option but the greeting was greatly appreciated.
There is no Irish Whiskey anywhere in the complex Palladium side nor Royal Suites. A small disappointment for only a handful of us. The higher end tequilas especially Centenario were a pleasant surprise for myself. I have never before enjoyed tequila. Even Corona tastes better there. I also do not enjoy Corona served here in Canada.
For the Palladium experience most Royal Suite patrons partake in the various restaurants throughout the Palladium. They are all good but the Punta Mita on the Royal Suites is noticeably better. A small note, we noticed the staffing at the main buffet restaurant is somewhat short. The staff try hard but they are short on help there.
This facility if a distance from the 'Madding Crowd" but that is what we preferred. 360 pesos (35USD) to Syulita by taxi (can be negotiated down) is well worth it to this surfing beach and summertime style pueblo.
The tour groups all offer the usual excursions and that is always personal preference. We found Vallarta Adventures to be reputable and well organized.
The West Jet flight as in all airlines for a tall person to have to pay extra just to be able to fit in a seat properly is quite annoying but this is company policy and only effects us tall people. I paid the extra for myself and not for my wife and they sat us separately both ways. That is ok with us, sitting separately but to pay extra just so you can fit in the plane is abusive and blatantly discriminatory. I can't diet and get shorter. Otherwise the staff is helpful and efficient. They could tone down the 'cutesy' rhetoric. I want a flight not an evenings entertainment.
In short we have conceded (we were a group of two couples) it was a wonderful facility and vacation and we did not want to come home ,certainly not to the minus 27 that we experienced.
We would return in a heart beat but we want to have other location experiences. We would give Royal Suites at Palladium another go if the occasion arises.
A tip for all patrons of the Palladium or the Royal Suites, the beach access is rocky and there are sea urchins. A good pair of water shoes purchased before you go would serve you greatly. We did this and were very glad we did.

Room Tip: The rooms in building 5 closer to the beach and pool (and their bar) were extremely spacious clean c...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lawrence C
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Lawrence C,
Thank you for your kind words about our Resort and services, we appreciated it very much. We continuously work to make every guest’s holiday a great experience, and it is very important for us to realize that our effort is successful. As you said we hope you have had a great time with us.
I am glad that you and your friends enjoyed your vacation with us and we will take note about your comments about our staff and services, in order to improve our performance day after day, so we can do our best to make sure that every guest has a great experience here.
If you decide to come back again or if there is anything else we can do for you, please, do not hesitate to contact us directly,
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed at The Royal Suites from Feb.07-21, 2014. As soon as I requested an upgrade to The Royal Suites, the front desk manager pulled me away from the line of people waiting to register. Thank you! The room turned out to be on the top floor, in the building next to the lobby, facing the Palladium side of the resort. This meant I was subject to the music from both the theatre and disco every night. Not something I was pleased with. The room was very spacious and clean, and the maid service was excellent.
I played tennis 13 out of 14 days, and Javier, the tennis pro, went out of his way to make me feel comfortable. He helped improve my ground strokes and serve, and by the end of my stay I almost beat him:)) Javier also spent a lot of time talking with me, and was really encouraging. I hope the hotel is proud to have him in that role.
The infinity pool was absolutely beautiful, providing a great view every day of the whales passing by. One day a whale watching boat was just about 300 yards offshore and a whale was splashing it with a tail bigger than the boat itself! Amazing!! Everyone around the pool was very pleasant to be with the entire 2 weeks. Roman and Marcelino were always there to provide my double pina coladas. Deeelicious!! Great guys.
The food in the Punta Mita restaurant was excellent, I did not once feel the need to go to the other speciality restaurants at the resort. All the servers were always accommodating and ready to fill any request to fill a drink, offer coffee, dessert, or any questions.
The only reason for the 4 out of 5 stars was because of the location of my room being so close to the music. A suggestion for other people looking to stay is to ask for a room facing out from the resort.
Thank you Royal Suites for the fabulous stay! I must come back again:))

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike B
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Mike B,
Thanks a lot for your comments and for giving us your feedback of your stay at The Royal Suites Punta Mita on February for 2 weeks. I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us and our services and facilities, I’m really glad you enjoyed your days with us.
Thank you again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Kind regards,
#5 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia
Villa La Estancia
#1 of 3 in Flamingos

Been to The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium? Share your experiences!