“Great vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Coquitlam, BC
“Great vacation”
Reviewed 3 April 2004

We were at Viva Vallarta from February 21-28, and from some of the other reviews I have to wonder whether we were at the same resort! The rooms are perfectly adequate - no dressers, but plenty of closet space.
The food was fine. Sure there was lots of Mexican influence, but where are you after all? And we were very happy with the three a la carte restaurants. We got smiling, courteous service from everyone. Sure at one point some people at the adults' pool got a bit rowdy, but security staff zoomed in quickly.

It was definitely winter while we were there, and they weren't taking kayacks or catamarans out. A bit disappointing, but they have to think of their guests' safety after all. We did take the public bus into PV (an adventure tour everyone should take!) as well as a whale-watching tour through Vallarta Adventures. Sure, the entertainment was so-so, but I don't go to PV expecting Las Vegas-style entertainment. As to the complaints about Mexicans at the resort - where the heck are you? Sure there were some there, but I didn't notice them being any more troublesome than other guests. And for children - if you want to avoid children (and many perfectly nice people do) then either book at an adults-only resort or book at other resorts during non-popular-vacation times. March is generally "spring break" at least somewhere after all.
Gay couples - I can't answer that. I certainly can't see that a particular resort (anywhere) is at fault for failing to provide a gay couple with contemporaries. I'd figure a knowledgeable travel agent would be the best bet.

I'm not saying the resort's for everyone. It's true that it's quite spread out, with many steps (and not all have handrails). So anyone with mobility difficulties might want to think of something else. But as I've said earlier - if you have concerns, you do your homework ahead of time rather than complaining laater.

2 Thank kg57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
Reviewed 1 April 2004

My partner and I were very much looking forward to a long week of rest and relaxation! I was really looking forward to spending quite time by the pool with a cocktail in hand and a good book in the other. I could just smell the delicious food cooking in the Mexican kitchen. If this is the kind of vacation you are looking for, then STAY AWAY FROM VIVA VALLARTA!! Don't be fooled by the Wyndham name. Wyndham recently purchased Viva Vallarta. The only thing that resembles a Wyndham hotel, is the name on the bill. While the staff was really nice, the accomodations were not. If you like millions of screaming kids, families, very firm beds, bland mass produced food, and very tired stage productions then Viva Vallarta is for you. We were so bored and through with the food and kids that we moved into town just 3 days into our spring break (March 10-16, 2004). I would describe Viva Vallarta as a Carnival Cruise ship going nowhere! Also, be aware of the sales pitch from the Viva Vallarta Vacation club! It is disquised as an overview of the hotel, but quickly turns into a sales pitch. One last point, if you are a gay couple looking for other gay couples to hang out with, then this is not the resort for you. Find a villa or B&B in town! It will be worth your money!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Blenheim, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2004

My g/f Lori and I spent the week of the 21st to the 28th at the Viva Vallarta. It was fantastic in all respects, from check in to check out.
The meals at the buffet were pretty good, especially breakfast(great omlettes). The 3 a la carte restaurants were very good, not necessarily what I am accustomed to in Canada, but, hey I guess if I wanted that I should have stayed home eh? Which is what I would say to some of the people that have gave this resort a scathing review. Quit your whining!!! I found the staff extremely helpful and accomadating. All one simply had to do is "ask" and they did their best to please. The only negative thing I would have to say about the place, well it is not about the place really it is some of the guests. Some of these people were very rude and condescending to the staff, which was totally uncalled for and unjustified...keep in mind people that these people get paid on average only $5 a day. Certainly no where near enough to put up with some of the abuse that I saw them take. One other thing...
for those adults that drink for hours in the relax pool...do me and everyone else the courtesy of getting your lazy butts out of the pool and use the public restrooms! To the staff thankyou very much for an enjoyable vacation, we will definitely be back

Hi Mike and Lori, Jim and Michelle ....great new friends

4 Thank Paul676
Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2004

My family (my wife, myself and our 11 year old son) stayed at Viva Vallarta March 15-20, 2004. We enjoyed ourselves, but probably will stay somewhere else on our next trip to Mexico for a number of reasons. Here is what we found: The resort itself is beautiful and quite secluded (about a 30-45 minute trip from the airport, depending on traffic). That was a plus for us, as we enjoyed being away from the crowds of Puerto Vallarta. There were lots of families at the resort while we were there. The majority of the guests were Canadian and American (more Canadians than Americans). The main pool area is pretty good, although they could definitely use more umbrellas. All of the ?good? seats (i.e., those with shade) are taken by 7:00 in the morning. It?s an impromptu system that we?ve found to exist at other all-inclusives -- you come down in the morning and stake out your lounger by laying a towel on it. If you are a late riser, your choice of seating will be fairly limited. There is a second ?relax? pool for adults only that is small but nice, with an infinity edge that looks over the ocean. The beach is pretty good, although relatively small. There are lots of loungers under a series of shade ramadas (but again, you need to get up early to stake out a seat). The resort operates a small bar on the beach during the day, so drinks are readily available. I had read in other reviews that the boogie boarding was really good at the resort. It is not. There are lots of rocks in the water (bring rock shoes), and the waves do not break where the sandy areas are. Also, the waves break so close to shore that you can?t get much of a ride. If you are a boogie board aficionado this is not the place for you. The resort has lots of kayaks -- they were fun. You can also sign up for a catamaran ride. We did, and had a nice sail (about 25 minutes). The thing was, it would have been better if the guy who took us out had been able to share some information about the Banderas Bay. We tried to engage him (we speak passable Spanish), but his attitude was basically one of ?I?m just here to sail the boat.? There is a fair amount of seaweed in the water. The resort staff does a good job raking it up in the morning. If you walk the beach to the south of the resort, the shell collecting is pretty good (mostly smaller shells such as cones, cowries, etc.) The food at the resort is pretty much what you?d expect from an all-inclusive. Nothing great, but enough variety that everyone is able to find something (fresh fruit, pasta bar, salads, pizza, breads, potatoes, vegetables, several varieties of meat (usually pork, chicken and fish) and desserts). Breakfast was the best, lunch was the weakest. If you go, consider eating lunch at the snack bar by the main pool (very good pizza). Dinners at the buffet are ?themed? to some extent; however, we found that the theme usually involved some variation on the basic menu and not much else. There are three a la carte restaurants (Italian -- La Terraza, Mexican -- Viva Mexico, and Mediterranean -- Portofino). We ate at La Terraza and Viva Mexico and they were quite good. The resort has a funky reservation system for the a la carte restaurants. You can make reservations two days in advance beginning at 9:00 in the morning. What this means in practice is that you likely will not be able to eat at one of the a la cartes until your third night because the reservations will all be taken by the time you check in (unless you are willing to take a late (i.e., after 9:00) seating). My wife thinks they do this on purpose because after several days of the buffet, the a la carte food will seem that much better. Our room was on the third floor of building number 2. It was small, but clean. The air conditioning worked well. Yes, the beds are hard, but not too bad. We had an ocean view, which was nice, but our balcony was ridiculously small to the point of being unusable. At night, though, we would open the sliding door and listen to the waves. Very relaxing. The rooms come with a safe that you program with your own combination. There is also a small refrigerator stocked with sodas (we had to ask for water, but it was happily provided). As others have written, storage space is at a premium. There are several shelves in the closet, but other than that, you should be prepared to live out of your suitcases (not a major inconvenience). We found building 2 to be very convenient to everything. But, as others have written, be prepared to walk a lot. Not only is the resort spread out, but because it is built into a hillside, there are lots and lots of stairs. We found the exercise to be a good thing. But, this is definitely not the place for someone with bad knees. There are lots of activities at the resort. We played beach volleyball, water volleyball, water polo, ping pong -- all were a lot of fun. The resort has a nice archery set-up, but you need to make advance reservations (same for tennis). The ?animacion? staff was terrific. Very friendly and outgoing. We took two excursions. The first was a day trip to Puerto Vallarta. The resort runs a shuttle M, W, F that leaves at 10:00 and returns at 4:00 (about an hour?s ride each way, so you end up with 4 hours in the city). The cost is $9 US per person. They drop you off at the flea market on Isla Cuale. We shopped for a little while (typical turista stuff), then headed down the Malecon (the main drag along the beach in the northern section of the city). If you want to do some parasailing, this is the place. There are several operations running off the beach; expect to pay between $30-35 US for a 5 or 6 minute ride. Our second excursion was horse back riding (cost: $100 US for the 3 of us). Jorge, who runs the trips, is a super nice guy and we had a really good time. You ride through a local village, then through the jungle to a secluded beach. The horses are mellow -- don?t expect to be doing any galloping! I read some complaints in other reviews about the service. We found the service to be mixed. In the buffet, the service was not so good. We eventually got to the point where we just got our own drinks. But it does appear that the ratio of staff to guests is too low for the buffet staff to provide good service, so I don?t blame the servers so much. In the a la carte restaurants the service was very good. Around the pool, there was again the problem of not enough staff to go around. But we got to know a few of the servers, and they soon got to know what we liked and just brought it automatically. That was a real plus. We tipped everyone (generally $1 to $2 US) -- it is not much to us but means a lot to the staff and is much appreciated. We had read that the resort is deluged at times with local Mexican families to whom the resort sells day passes. This was not the case during our stay. Also, we never had any trouble with time share people. Overall, Viva Vallarta struck us as a place that has all the pieces of a good resort, it just hasn?t quite put them together yet.

5 Thank PHX100
york, Pa.
Reviewed 21 March 2004

Upon arriving at the resort late at night we were greeted with a dim dreary lobby area. When we unlocked the door to our room I was shocked.
The bathroom towels I would not have used to clean my kitchen floor.
They had stains all over them and felt like sandpaper. There was hair on our bathroom floor. The halls smelled like sewage. Several times thru the week at different locations in the resort you could smell sewage. It was gross !! After complaining at the front desk the next day and asking to speak to Martin ( the manager) we were moved to a different building. It was supposed to cost $20 more a night but after arguing a little we didn't have to pay this. This building (#1) was slightly better with a good view but the towels were still filthy. The food buffet is average if you can stand millions of kids touching the food and putting it back. Where are the parents of all these little brats? It was rather gross. The entire resort seems older and used hard. Don't come here if you are without kids. It is kiddie city. You can get away from them during the day at the adult pool but at the snack bar and dinner buffet it was annoying. So bottom line is if you can take the smell of sewage and kids everywhere stay here. If you are with your husband and want to relax for a week stay away!!!!!!!!. It is not a 5 apple rated resort at all. I have stayed at 3 apple rated resorts that were nicer then this hole in the wall. !!!!!!!!! The beds are literally a cement slab with a mattress on top. Cold sandy floors (take slippers). I could go on and on but I am not wasting any more time on this dump.

2 Thank ginaleana
Reviewed 20 March 2004

If you are planning to visit this resort, have no fear. The people who left bad reviews must have stayed somewhere else, because this place is amazing. We visited the Viva Wyndham Vallarta during the Canadian March Break (Mar. 13to20). All the guests simply raved about how wonderful it was. The resort was full, completely full capacity, but there were NO line-ups, no shortages of anything, and excellent service. FOOD-We are very picky eaters, and we loved it!There is a different theme night every night at the buffet restaurant. The food was excellent every single day. It was freshly prepared, clean, hot. There is even a section with low cal., low salt, healthy food, for those on a diet, or watching their intake for health reasons. There are also 3 ala carte restaurants. The food was very good. The wait staff spoke very little English, but they did their best, and the service was fine.

ROOMS- Very spacious and clean! No, there are no dressers and drawers, but our enormous closet had a floor to ceiling shelving unit, so you could fold your clothes away, and still see where everything was, which we thought was better than searching through drawers. There is a free safe, where you set your own 4 digit code and it can hold a (large) video camera, digital camera, wallet, and medication all at once.

BEACH- We prefer the Cuban beaches as they are calm, and we have two kids aged 6 and 8, so it is safe for them. The water conditions here were wavy enough to boogie-board, kayak (with a life jacket), and surf.
However, you could also swim once you learned where the rocks were.
Bring "surf-socks" (the mesh water shoes) to be safe. There is a lot of nice sandy beaches to walk along (very safe). There are many areas where little kids can play along the water, you just have to keep an eye on them so they don't wander into the wavier areas. Lots of shells for kids to pick... There are vendors at one end of the beach. They stay there. If you go to them, they are very pleasant (but much more expensive than in town). They DO NOT come to bug you or try to sell you things.

POOLS-ADULTS-There is small round adult only pool, with a jaccuzzi, and many drunk adults. The families refer to it as the "piss pool". There was a regular crowd of adults who sat in there all day drinking. Just drinking. They never left to do anything except get a drink. We overheard one man brag how he's never spent 7 hours drinking in a pool all day, until that day, and never needed to get out to go pee!! It's a good thing that only adults go in it. I wouldn't let my kids go in it even if they were allowed. If you're looking for calm tranquility and pee, this is the pool to go to. Soothing new age music too. FAMILIES- The other pool is really 2 pools with a waterfall. This is where all the families and many couples were. There are quiet times, and action packed, fun filled times. You can leave your kids at a very good kids club, or bring them to the pool with you, because there is always something going on for them in the pool area. The music is played by the towel attendant. She only has one Spanish salsa tape and one pool aerobics tape. Bring your own CD'S and she'll play them for you. No English, so just hand it to her and say "por favour". Bring her some books and magazines to leave behind, because her selection is very low.

TRANSPORTATION-The taxi to Puerto Vallarta is $30 U.S. The bus is $1.40 U.S. Take the bus. It's safe. The drivers are absolutely insane. Just close your eyes and pray all the way. The roads are on a trecherous cliff. The posted speed limit is 40km/hr, but they all drive 80-90km/hr. Once, there was a transit supervisor driving behind our bus, and the driver only did the speed limit!!! So there actually are laws, they just don't follow them. The taxi drivers are the same.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 March 2004

I have been meaning to write this review for a while. My husband and I had a great time at Viva Vallarta. It is far from Puerto Vallarta - 40min by bus but in the end you can use this to your advantage especially if what you want is a relaxing holiday. If you are into water sports, the place is very good for surfing. Went on lots of trips, scuba diving, snorkelling and on a trip through the Sierra Nevada. The hotel wasn't that busy. It was also very clean. You will like the botanical gardens that surround the hotel. Try and get a room with an ocean view. The food was great too. Do visit the Italian pizzeria Portofino as the maitre d' is very helpful and the food excellent. The main restaurant is busy. There is plenty of choice for breakfast: continental, Mexican- nice hot chocolate and American.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!