“GREAT VACATION!!!”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
“GREAT VACATION!!!”
Reviewed 7 April 2004

Once again, a wonderful vacation to viva!! This was my third trip there and took a friend and my daughter. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT...if you wish for shade, you MUST get down to the beach at least by 6:30 at the latest 7:00 a.m. to reserved your cabana with towel on the chair. Also, I realize "tips" are included with your package, however, these people work their butts off and deserve a tip, we tipped all our waiters and bartenders (you also receive quicker service and they remember you).
The food was great and the website simply does not do the beach justice. Although not good for swimming because of the rocks, but you walk forever!!! My only complaint is the reserving of chairs, at Sandals you're not allowed to reserve chairs, which is the way to go.
There were people who would have towels on chairs when I got down there at 6:30 and would not show up until afternoon, we went down right after breakfast!! Javier was our waiter on the beach, treat him right!!! If you want an out of the way place without the hustle and bustle, viva is the way to go!!! Any questions, please feel free to email me.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
Reviewed 6 April 2004

My family got back last night from a wonderful trip to Viva Vallarta. All the great reviews I had read were true . When we arrived we could not believe how beautiful the resort was, and far from the hustle bustle of town which we loved. We were greeted with drinks in the lobby and shown to our beautiful rooms before having a delicious buffet dinner. Our room had an ocean view which was a nice surprise since we were told we would have a garden view which probably would have been nice too since the grounds are amazing. Each meal was wonderful, lots to choose from. We actually enjoyed the buffet even more than the restaurant dinners. The drinks are delicious and endless. Our kids had their favorites and could get them whenever they wanted. The beach has beautiful white sand with lots of lounge chairs to go around. It was always kept clean by staff members. There were boogie boards which the kids loved and surfing lessons which was a nice surprise. Great waves and instructors who were very patient. My son even took a couple of tennis lessons. The nightly entertainment was lots of fun. Good dancing with great costumes. Each staff member treated us like family. It was obvious that all they wanted was to make our trip enjoyable. All the employees are quite enthusiastic and kind. I cannot say enough about them. Our room was kept quite clean and our fridge was filled daily with pop and water. We waited 20 years to take our family on this trip and we would go to the Viva Vallarta again in a second if we could.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed 3 April 2004

We were at Viva Vallarta from February 21-28, and from some of the other reviews I have to wonder whether we were at the same resort! The rooms are perfectly adequate - no dressers, but plenty of closet space.
The food was fine. Sure there was lots of Mexican influence, but where are you after all? And we were very happy with the three a la carte restaurants. We got smiling, courteous service from everyone. Sure at one point some people at the adults' pool got a bit rowdy, but security staff zoomed in quickly.

It was definitely winter while we were there, and they weren't taking kayacks or catamarans out. A bit disappointing, but they have to think of their guests' safety after all. We did take the public bus into PV (an adventure tour everyone should take!) as well as a whale-watching tour through Vallarta Adventures. Sure, the entertainment was so-so, but I don't go to PV expecting Las Vegas-style entertainment. As to the complaints about Mexicans at the resort - where the heck are you? Sure there were some there, but I didn't notice them being any more troublesome than other guests. And for children - if you want to avoid children (and many perfectly nice people do) then either book at an adults-only resort or book at other resorts during non-popular-vacation times. March is generally "spring break" at least somewhere after all.
Gay couples - I can't answer that. I certainly can't see that a particular resort (anywhere) is at fault for failing to provide a gay couple with contemporaries. I'd figure a knowledgeable travel agent would be the best bet.

I'm not saying the resort's for everyone. It's true that it's quite spread out, with many steps (and not all have handrails). So anyone with mobility difficulties might want to think of something else. But as I've said earlier - if you have concerns, you do your homework ahead of time rather than complaining laater.

2 Thank kg57
Reviewed 1 April 2004

My partner and I were very much looking forward to a long week of rest and relaxation! I was really looking forward to spending quite time by the pool with a cocktail in hand and a good book in the other. I could just smell the delicious food cooking in the Mexican kitchen. If this is the kind of vacation you are looking for, then STAY AWAY FROM VIVA VALLARTA!! Don't be fooled by the Wyndham name. Wyndham recently purchased Viva Vallarta. The only thing that resembles a Wyndham hotel, is the name on the bill. While the staff was really nice, the accomodations were not. If you like millions of screaming kids, families, very firm beds, bland mass produced food, and very tired stage productions then Viva Vallarta is for you. We were so bored and through with the food and kids that we moved into town just 3 days into our spring break (March 10-16, 2004). I would describe Viva Vallarta as a Carnival Cruise ship going nowhere! Also, be aware of the sales pitch from the Viva Vallarta Vacation club! It is disquised as an overview of the hotel, but quickly turns into a sales pitch. One last point, if you are a gay couple looking for other gay couples to hang out with, then this is not the resort for you. Find a villa or B&B in town! It will be worth your money!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Blenheim, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2004

My g/f Lori and I spent the week of the 21st to the 28th at the Viva Vallarta. It was fantastic in all respects, from check in to check out.
The meals at the buffet were pretty good, especially breakfast(great omlettes). The 3 a la carte restaurants were very good, not necessarily what I am accustomed to in Canada, but, hey I guess if I wanted that I should have stayed home eh? Which is what I would say to some of the people that have gave this resort a scathing review. Quit your whining!!! I found the staff extremely helpful and accomadating. All one simply had to do is "ask" and they did their best to please. The only negative thing I would have to say about the place, well it is not about the place really it is some of the guests. Some of these people were very rude and condescending to the staff, which was totally uncalled for and unjustified...keep in mind people that these people get paid on average only $5 a day. Certainly no where near enough to put up with some of the abuse that I saw them take. One other thing...
for those adults that drink for hours in the relax pool...do me and everyone else the courtesy of getting your lazy butts out of the pool and use the public restrooms! To the staff thankyou very much for an enjoyable vacation, we will definitely be back

Hi Mike and Lori, Jim and Michelle ....great new friends

4 Thank Paul676
Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2004

My family (my wife, myself and our 11 year old son) stayed at Viva Vallarta March 15-20, 2004. We enjoyed ourselves, but probably will stay somewhere else on our next trip to Mexico for a number of reasons. Here is what we found: The resort itself is beautiful and quite secluded (about a 30-45 minute trip from the airport, depending on traffic). That was a plus for us, as we enjoyed being away from the crowds of Puerto Vallarta. There were lots of families at the resort while we were there. The majority of the guests were Canadian and American (more Canadians than Americans). The main pool area is pretty good, although they could definitely use more umbrellas. All of the ?good? seats (i.e., those with shade) are taken by 7:00 in the morning. It?s an impromptu system that we?ve found to exist at other all-inclusives -- you come down in the morning and stake out your lounger by laying a towel on it. If you are a late riser, your choice of seating will be fairly limited. There is a second ?relax? pool for adults only that is small but nice, with an infinity edge that looks over the ocean. The beach is pretty good, although relatively small. There are lots of loungers under a series of shade ramadas (but again, you need to get up early to stake out a seat). The resort operates a small bar on the beach during the day, so drinks are readily available. I had read in other reviews that the boogie boarding was really good at the resort. It is not. There are lots of rocks in the water (bring rock shoes), and the waves do not break where the sandy areas are. Also, the waves break so close to shore that you can?t get much of a ride. If you are a boogie board aficionado this is not the place for you. The resort has lots of kayaks -- they were fun. You can also sign up for a catamaran ride. We did, and had a nice sail (about 25 minutes). The thing was, it would have been better if the guy who took us out had been able to share some information about the Banderas Bay. We tried to engage him (we speak passable Spanish), but his attitude was basically one of ?I?m just here to sail the boat.? There is a fair amount of seaweed in the water. The resort staff does a good job raking it up in the morning. If you walk the beach to the south of the resort, the shell collecting is pretty good (mostly smaller shells such as cones, cowries, etc.) The food at the resort is pretty much what you?d expect from an all-inclusive. Nothing great, but enough variety that everyone is able to find something (fresh fruit, pasta bar, salads, pizza, breads, potatoes, vegetables, several varieties of meat (usually pork, chicken and fish) and desserts). Breakfast was the best, lunch was the weakest. If you go, consider eating lunch at the snack bar by the main pool (very good pizza). Dinners at the buffet are ?themed? to some extent; however, we found that the theme usually involved some variation on the basic menu and not much else. There are three a la carte restaurants (Italian -- La Terraza, Mexican -- Viva Mexico, and Mediterranean -- Portofino). We ate at La Terraza and Viva Mexico and they were quite good. The resort has a funky reservation system for the a la carte restaurants. You can make reservations two days in advance beginning at 9:00 in the morning. What this means in practice is that you likely will not be able to eat at one of the a la cartes until your third night because the reservations will all be taken by the time you check in (unless you are willing to take a late (i.e., after 9:00) seating). My wife thinks they do this on purpose because after several days of the buffet, the a la carte food will seem that much better. Our room was on the third floor of building number 2. It was small, but clean. The air conditioning worked well. Yes, the beds are hard, but not too bad. We had an ocean view, which was nice, but our balcony was ridiculously small to the point of being unusable. At night, though, we would open the sliding door and listen to the waves. Very relaxing. The rooms come with a safe that you program with your own combination. There is also a small refrigerator stocked with sodas (we had to ask for water, but it was happily provided). As others have written, storage space is at a premium. There are several shelves in the closet, but other than that, you should be prepared to live out of your suitcases (not a major inconvenience). We found building 2 to be very convenient to everything. But, as others have written, be prepared to walk a lot. Not only is the resort spread out, but because it is built into a hillside, there are lots and lots of stairs. We found the exercise to be a good thing. But, this is definitely not the place for someone with bad knees. There are lots of activities at the resort. We played beach volleyball, water volleyball, water polo, ping pong -- all were a lot of fun. The resort has a nice archery set-up, but you need to make advance reservations (same for tennis). The ?animacion? staff was terrific. Very friendly and outgoing. We took two excursions. The first was a day trip to Puerto Vallarta. The resort runs a shuttle M, W, F that leaves at 10:00 and returns at 4:00 (about an hour?s ride each way, so you end up with 4 hours in the city). The cost is $9 US per person. They drop you off at the flea market on Isla Cuale. We shopped for a little while (typical turista stuff), then headed down the Malecon (the main drag along the beach in the northern section of the city). If you want to do some parasailing, this is the place. There are several operations running off the beach; expect to pay between $30-35 US for a 5 or 6 minute ride. Our second excursion was horse back riding (cost: $100 US for the 3 of us). Jorge, who runs the trips, is a super nice guy and we had a really good time. You ride through a local village, then through the jungle to a secluded beach. The horses are mellow -- don?t expect to be doing any galloping! I read some complaints in other reviews about the service. We found the service to be mixed. In the buffet, the service was not so good. We eventually got to the point where we just got our own drinks. But it does appear that the ratio of staff to guests is too low for the buffet staff to provide good service, so I don?t blame the servers so much. In the a la carte restaurants the service was very good. Around the pool, there was again the problem of not enough staff to go around. But we got to know a few of the servers, and they soon got to know what we liked and just brought it automatically. That was a real plus. We tipped everyone (generally $1 to $2 US) -- it is not much to us but means a lot to the staff and is much appreciated. We had read that the resort is deluged at times with local Mexican families to whom the resort sells day passes. This was not the case during our stay. Also, we never had any trouble with time share people. Overall, Viva Vallarta struck us as a place that has all the pieces of a good resort, it just hasn?t quite put them together yet.

5 Thank PHX100
york, Pa.
Reviewed 21 March 2004

Upon arriving at the resort late at night we were greeted with a dim dreary lobby area. When we unlocked the door to our room I was shocked.
The bathroom towels I would not have used to clean my kitchen floor.
They had stains all over them and felt like sandpaper. There was hair on our bathroom floor. The halls smelled like sewage. Several times thru the week at different locations in the resort you could smell sewage. It was gross !! After complaining at the front desk the next day and asking to speak to Martin ( the manager) we were moved to a different building. It was supposed to cost $20 more a night but after arguing a little we didn't have to pay this. This building (#1) was slightly better with a good view but the towels were still filthy. The food buffet is average if you can stand millions of kids touching the food and putting it back. Where are the parents of all these little brats? It was rather gross. The entire resort seems older and used hard. Don't come here if you are without kids. It is kiddie city. You can get away from them during the day at the adult pool but at the snack bar and dinner buffet it was annoying. So bottom line is if you can take the smell of sewage and kids everywhere stay here. If you are with your husband and want to relax for a week stay away!!!!!!!!. It is not a 5 apple rated resort at all. I have stayed at 3 apple rated resorts that were nicer then this hole in the wall. !!!!!!!!! The beds are literally a cement slab with a mattress on top. Cold sandy floors (take slippers). I could go on and on but I am not wasting any more time on this dump.

2 Thank ginaleana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
#4 of 12 in Punta de Mita

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!