“Bad News”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Ohio
Reviewed 14 April 2004

Having previously stayed at the Rio, Pardise and the Allegro, now the Occidental, the Wyndham was a big dissappointment. The rooms were fair, the food left alot to be desired such as taste. The constant odor of sewage blowing across the plaza was sickening. The beach though small was nice. The pool was adequate. How ever the staff left alot to be desired. Very rude!! Speaking to others on the flight back most resorts seemed that way as it was Easter week filled with locals. Drinks were watered down to the point you could drink all night without a worry. If You called a brand name then they were very good. The grounds were very very clean. The bees were every where there was food or drink. A major pain. Next time back to Nuevo or the southern zone.

• Stayed: April 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Taylor, MI
Reviewed 9 April 2004

Hi Just returned from Viva Vallarta on March 25, 2004. I have to say when we pulled up to the resort, it looked nothing like the computer pictures. It is kind of on the "old" side and looked pretty primitive upon arrival. However, after getting used to it, that did not seem so bad. The worst part of the resort was all the walking and I mean walking up stairs everywhere. I felt like we were at a state park and not a resort. I went with a girlfriend. Though I can sure stand the exercise, it was a difficult task for even the physically fit. I felt sorry for the heavy or older people who were not aware of the situation. We tried to move our room closer to the adult pool because we were way at the other end and it was quite a jaunt. We decided since there was an additional charge to get moved to a closer location, we would make the most of it and I actually got used to it. The weather was incredible. The adult pool was wonderful with a beautiful view overlooking the ocean. The food was so so. The restaurants were fully booked so the only one we were able to reserve, after waiting 20 minutes in line, was the outside restaurant (can't remember the name) and it was not very impressive. I could see where the buffet would get old after a few days. The breakfast was great, but the rest was okay and if I were there 7 days, I would have been pretty sick of it. We were there 5 days. This resort was very far away from anything. We ended up not wanting to leave the resort so we never actually got to see the town at all. The staff was very very nice. They seemed eager to please. There were bees everywhere around the food and the bars. I don't know if this was viva specific or just because of the climate. I talked to others on the plane who had no problem with the bees. The alcohol drinks were great and they were not skimpy on those at all.
This is a big time "family resort". There were tons of kids running all over the place. I never ventured around the regular pool and stayed at the adult pool, except when going to the snack bar which is right by the regular pool. The snack bar was a zoo. The rooms were clean. But again, this place looked pretty old. There were not many teenagers which would not have bothered me as much as the smaller children. My purpose of the vacation was to go to a beautiful climate and relax. If you stayed at the adult pool and drank and looked at the weather and view, it was a treat. There were many couples. I have to say I missed the teal water of the carribean (like CAncun). Otherwise I would not recommend Viva. If I ever return to Puerto Vallarta, I would recommend the hotel zone, something closer to downtown.

City, State
Reviewed 8 April 2004

we just returned from PV Viva Vallarta hotel. we stood there 4 days, april 3-7. we had a good stay at the hotel. all the employees were very friendly. the hotel itself is a older style hotel but still very nice, and the food was pretty good. I do have a couple thing we did not like about are stay. first of all the hotel is way to far from downtown PV.
about an hour drive from shopping (way to far). second the waves were awsome, but the beach had way to many rocks (swimming area). this we found to be almost dangerous. this was the biggest complaint i heard from other on the beach. we will probably go back to PV. but we will not stay there again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rockville, Indiana
Reviewed 7 April 2004

Once again, a wonderful vacation to viva!! This was my third trip there and took a friend and my daughter. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT...if you wish for shade, you MUST get down to the beach at least by 6:30 at the latest 7:00 a.m. to reserved your cabana with towel on the chair. Also, I realize "tips" are included with your package, however, these people work their butts off and deserve a tip, we tipped all our waiters and bartenders (you also receive quicker service and they remember you).
The food was great and the website simply does not do the beach justice. Although not good for swimming because of the rocks, but you walk forever!!! My only complaint is the reserving of chairs, at Sandals you're not allowed to reserve chairs, which is the way to go.
There were people who would have towels on chairs when I got down there at 6:30 and would not show up until afternoon, we went down right after breakfast!! Javier was our waiter on the beach, treat him right!!! If you want an out of the way place without the hustle and bustle, viva is the way to go!!! Any questions, please feel free to email me.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Coeur d Alene, ID
Reviewed 6 April 2004

My family got back last night from a wonderful trip to Viva Vallarta. All the great reviews I had read were true . When we arrived we could not believe how beautiful the resort was, and far from the hustle bustle of town which we loved. We were greeted with drinks in the lobby and shown to our beautiful rooms before having a delicious buffet dinner. Our room had an ocean view which was a nice surprise since we were told we would have a garden view which probably would have been nice too since the grounds are amazing. Each meal was wonderful, lots to choose from. We actually enjoyed the buffet even more than the restaurant dinners. The drinks are delicious and endless. Our kids had their favorites and could get them whenever they wanted. The beach has beautiful white sand with lots of lounge chairs to go around. It was always kept clean by staff members. There were boogie boards which the kids loved and surfing lessons which was a nice surprise. Great waves and instructors who were very patient. My son even took a couple of tennis lessons. The nightly entertainment was lots of fun. Good dancing with great costumes. Each staff member treated us like family. It was obvious that all they wanted was to make our trip enjoyable. All the employees are quite enthusiastic and kind. I cannot say enough about them. Our room was kept quite clean and our fridge was filled daily with pop and water. We waited 20 years to take our family on this trip and we would go to the Viva Vallarta again in a second if we could.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 April 2004

We were at Viva Vallarta from February 21-28, and from some of the other reviews I have to wonder whether we were at the same resort! The rooms are perfectly adequate - no dressers, but plenty of closet space.
The food was fine. Sure there was lots of Mexican influence, but where are you after all? And we were very happy with the three a la carte restaurants. We got smiling, courteous service from everyone. Sure at one point some people at the adults' pool got a bit rowdy, but security staff zoomed in quickly.

It was definitely winter while we were there, and they weren't taking kayacks or catamarans out. A bit disappointing, but they have to think of their guests' safety after all. We did take the public bus into PV (an adventure tour everyone should take!) as well as a whale-watching tour through Vallarta Adventures. Sure, the entertainment was so-so, but I don't go to PV expecting Las Vegas-style entertainment. As to the complaints about Mexicans at the resort - where the heck are you? Sure there were some there, but I didn't notice them being any more troublesome than other guests. And for children - if you want to avoid children (and many perfectly nice people do) then either book at an adults-only resort or book at other resorts during non-popular-vacation times. March is generally "spring break" at least somewhere after all.
Gay couples - I can't answer that. I certainly can't see that a particular resort (anywhere) is at fault for failing to provide a gay couple with contemporaries. I'd figure a knowledgeable travel agent would be the best bet.

I'm not saying the resort's for everyone. It's true that it's quite spread out, with many steps (and not all have handrails). So anyone with mobility difficulties might want to think of something else. But as I've said earlier - if you have concerns, you do your homework ahead of time rather than complaining laater.

2  Thank kg57
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 April 2004

My partner and I were very much looking forward to a long week of rest and relaxation! I was really looking forward to spending quite time by the pool with a cocktail in hand and a good book in the other. I could just smell the delicious food cooking in the Mexican kitchen. If this is the kind of vacation you are looking for, then STAY AWAY FROM VIVA VALLARTA!! Don't be fooled by the Wyndham name. Wyndham recently purchased Viva Vallarta. The only thing that resembles a Wyndham hotel, is the name on the bill. While the staff was really nice, the accomodations were not. If you like millions of screaming kids, families, very firm beds, bland mass produced food, and very tired stage productions then Viva Vallarta is for you. We were so bored and through with the food and kids that we moved into town just 3 days into our spring break (March 10-16, 2004). I would describe Viva Vallarta as a Carnival Cruise ship going nowhere! Also, be aware of the sales pitch from the Viva Vallarta Vacation club! It is disquised as an overview of the hotel, but quickly turns into a sales pitch. One last point, if you are a gay couple looking for other gay couples to hang out with, then this is not the resort for you. Find a villa or B&B in town! It will be worth your money!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#20 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!