“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have made a half dozen trips to all inclusive resorts in Mexico and this was easily the most disappointing! We had imperial club so were priority check in which was a plus however the free wifi promised was only in lobby the same as everyone else. The rooms were fine and at least we had the promised adjoining rooms. We knew there were stairs but it was ridiculous how many and how unsafe. So many broken or missing railings with caution tape every where. We witnessed a women taking sunset pictures almost toppling over a cliff because of the railing breaking to pieces. The food was less than great. Same everyday and no one explained the a la carte system for booking. The expectation of long pants and closed shoes for the guys seemed a bit much for this resort as it was not five star. Three of us enjoyed the bamboo restaurant until we ended up with likely food poisoning. The shows were alright and my teens didn't find the promised teen club a draw at all. By far the most disappointing resort experience we have had. Beds were comfy except for the plastic mattress covers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shelley H
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Shelley H,
I would like to thank you for your remarks about your last holidays with us in Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa. I am so sorry that three of you had stomach pains after eating in Bambu restaurant and I hope you recover soon at home. Maybe, eating food you are not used to, mixing drinks and meals stronger than usual, be under the sun for hours and hours, can be a unusual combination. In response of your comments about the unsafe areas, we are at this moment working hard on that to give our guest an immediate solution.
Thanks again for your comments and do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and i have been to several resorts and this one was the least favourite. In short, the rooms are locked at 22 degrees so you cant adjust the air conditioner, the power goes out frequently during the night so dont use the alarm in the room for wake up calls or use the front desk as they might forget. We woke up a few times to no hot water and low cold water pressure.
All bars close early, Food was medium with alot of re used and undercooked food. Cross contamination with uncooked meat was witnessed by several people, and no gloves are used.

The front desk staff is forgetful and rude at times. Most of the time we had to hunt for a server for drinks and when we had a server it took a long time to get a drink as they are understaffed. The drinks are syrup based so very little real juice is used. A screwdriver is orange powder drink and vodka. ewe.

On excursions, busses were late or didnt show up so taxies were sent and in some cases, people had to pay the taxies. (transat holidays)
For the price, we could have stayed at a 5 star in the myan and had better service. The service at this hotel is not good at all. I had to call room service to get toilet paper right after they did our room.

This stay was fair as you can go off the resort and have a good time but dont expect anything good on the resort. We paid 1300 pp, worth about 500.00

When we were checking out, we let the manager know of our dissatisfaction and nothing was acknowledged nor did he offer any sort of discount or anything to atleast help with the frustration.

I wouldnt go back to this hotel or chain at any point nor would i recommend. Too bad guys, we love Mexico.

Room Tip: The adult building is great as it is located close the adult infinity pool but it closes early. And...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KenPaula A
Riverside, California
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My 3 kids ages 9, 7 and 4 loved the kids club! This was the first time me leaving them at a kids club in a resort. I really felt safe. AnaKaren was wonderful. Alejandra and Gaby also were great my kids had a great time. We stayed in this resort for 8 days and loved everything.

1 Thank SanRoma5
Dear SanRoma5,
Thanks a lot for your comments and for giving us your feedback of your stay at our Resort. I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us and for our Kids Club. I will pass your nice remarks to the people you mentioned in your review (AnaKaren, Alejandra and Gaby).

Thank you again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information.
Kind regards,
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Let me preclude by saying that I read dozens of reviews on this site before deciding to book our annual vacation to the PV area... I'm a healthy, easy going late 30s professional gal, my hubby is in his 40s & equally easy going, easy to please. Here's our take:
LOCALE: 45 minute $50 cab ride from the airport. We took a cab from the city cab stop on the other side of the pedestrian over pass (cab ride from the actual airport taxis is about $75). Resort is secluded in the jungle and has a beautiful beach. There is a lot of walking!!! No elevators... and some areas are not wheelchair/walker friendly. It is an hour from PV via bus or taxi.
ROOMS: Very clean. A/C is locked at 22° Celsius which can feel warm at times. We had 3 burned out light bulbs which we reported and were quickly replaced. Hot faucet on sink didnt work but not a big deal. We were booked in a master suite which had an awesome ovean view with a jetted tub on the veranda. Bed was comfy too (memory foam topper).
SERVICE: Everyone was extremely pleasant, professional & eager to please/help. PLEASE REMEMBER TO TIP!
FOOD: YUM! I was born & raised in Mexico and know Mexican cuisine. This food is NOT bland! The buffet does get a little repetitive but the a la carte restaurants offer variety.
BAR/DRINKS: They have top shelf liquor but you must request it. They have a decent selection of wines BUT only the house white (Sauvignon blanc) & house red (cabernet) are included in the AI. If you want any of the other wines, you must purchase separately.
POOL: We hung out at the RELAX ( adult only) pool & enjoyed ourselves. The security guards keep the unruly folks under control and the bar tenders (Matias) keep the vacation rolling.

CONS:
•No room service
•No swim-up bars in the pool
•No poolside food allowed
•No poolside drink service (although Matias would do this at the Relax pool if things were quiet)
•Mini-bar is supposed to be stocked daily with 2 waters, 2 beers & 2 sodas. It's anyones guess what happened in our room. It was a different combo every day! 2 waters, 2 sodas on day 2 so I called and reported it, went to lunch and came back to find that they brought 2 more waters. Called and reported it again only to have the maid bring 4 more waters. Called again and finally got the 2 beers... lol.... not a deal killer but still annoying.

OVERALL this place was a great deal that I booked directly through hotel. I would definitely come back on my "off" years as I own a timeshare closer to town.

2 Thank Aida B
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Over rated. More like a 3 star. Facility is tired, several safety issues with staircases and railings, a la carte restaurant food was poor. Staff were helpful and friendly though.
Beach area was small and location far from Puerto Vallarta and activities.
Would not go again to a resort that caters to destination weddings. Pools were noisy and crowded and we were there in a quiet season.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob T
Dear Bob T,
First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Vallarta. We take very seriously all comments and suggestions that we receive from our guest in order to improve our services day to day. We will check your remarks about the safety issues on areas and a la carte restaurants food.
Maybe you did not appreciate our adult’s pool near the Viva Mexico restaurant, for sure it is quieter and has less people than the main pool.
As I told you in the beginning, thank you for your opinion and we will check each one of your observations.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a great one week experience. The staff were great..from check in to check out. Concierge Eddie was very courteous and helpful. Alberto had my cappacino ready every morning. Other servers Cruz, Gisifredo, Roger were also great. Merily was the best omelette chef ever and very pleasant.

Yoga on the beach with a professional instructor From Vancouver was above and beyond what I expected. I also went to the gym everyday equipment was always available.

Room Tip: Think about upgrading to a junior suite the rooms are not spacious. Ok for the limited amount of t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank T R
Toronto
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

My family and I travelled to this resort nov 1 for one week. We brought our 3 year old and 9 month old baby. First off our plane was delayed for 2 hrs!! Which was really annoying so we got in fairly late. When we got to the resort check in was pretty quick I had mentioned to the front desk I had emailed prior about having a crib for my son and an upgrade since my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary nothing was done about either and they did not really seem to care . We were told they had no cribs left! This made me upset because I had emailed prior about this request! We finally get to our room and it was filthy! Not to mention my husband found a huge cockroach in the closet and guess what?! They fly! the next day we went back to ask that our room be changed and they switched us we also asked for a crib again and they said they had lots and were not sure why we were told there was none available!! Very inconsistent staff! We felt like we had to tip to get service everywhere each and every time! When your doing that it doesn't make it all inclusive! Even to get a high chair!! Ridiculous! The workers would give u attitude if u didn't tip everytime u got a drink not a very good experience for Canadian travellers that our supporting Mexico tourism industry even after all the bad publicity! My daughter got stung by a bee three workers saw her freaking out and crying and told me I should get her ice! They couldn't be bother to do that while I tried to calm her down! Or maybe I should have tipped for that too! This review might seem harsh but when I think about my trip I get pretty upset. The food was okay, would not recommend eating in the netted sitting area of buffet as bird hang out on top of the light fixtures and crap on you and yes this did happen to me! lots of walking & stairs, not really family resort, pools were okay beach was nice some parts rocky water is a little rough at times, weather was great. Will not return.

Dear AshleyOwens,
Thank you for write your comments about your stay in our Resort. In first place, I want to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay.
We will check your negative remarks about the Hotel, service and facilities in order to enhance our work every day. Be sure we will do everything possible to improve the situation for future visits.
As I told you before, all comments, bad and good, are very important to us for constantly improving the quality of our service.
Once again thank you for your feedback and please let us know if you decide to come back to our property. We will take care about your reservation.
Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
#4 of 12 in Punta de Mita

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!