“Viva Vallarta a bargain for families!”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 14 May 2003

The Viva Vallarta is a great all-inclusive resort located near Punta Mita, about an hour north of downtown Puerto Vallarta (bus service available). It is only about 3 years old, and a nice size with 355 rooms. It is situated on a cove, with a nice beach but it is rocky in some parts. There are several pools (one is an adults only pool with an incredible view of the ocean), a kids club, and they offer free group lessons in windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, tennis and archery. I thought the fitness center was top-notch, and the shows in the theatre were better than most all-inclusives resorts. The only negatives about this resort: small beach, not much seafood in the buffets, only "Sol" beer, isolated location. But for the price these can be overlooked: during May and June only $45/night per adult, and kids always stay free! In the fall the price goes up t0 $58/night per adult. Thanksgiving is a great time to be there (that's when we always travel); the weather is perfect. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa

Oakville Ont Can
Reviewed 8 May 2003

Viva was awesome! I stayed there with my family on March Break! We had 2 adjoining rooms, one for the kids and one for the adults. The rooms were ok...all tile floors but fairly small. The staff was amazing! They were always smiling....and had games planned all time! The nightly shows were also fantstic, they were performed by the staff, they are really talented! The pools were great...but the ocean was a little rocky, wear shoes to protect your feet! The food was pretty food, the mexican restaurant was the favourite...and definately have the guacamole at the snack bar..to die for!!! We had a great trip and hope to return soon!!!!! LUV YA VIVA!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salinas, California
Reviewed 5 May 2003

I went to Viva on 4/18/03 and stayed for ten days with my family, I was impressed with the surroundings of this Resort, and with the friendly staff, it is like other reviewers said "they really work hard to keep you happy", when we arrived to Viva, Carlos was the bell boy who helped us with our luggage, he was funny and corteous, he explained to us, on how to get to the Buffet and the other restaurants and pools. Our room was #1137 and the housekeepers were Lilia and Adriana they are really honest people and allways heager to help you with any need you may have in the room, altougth they have 15 rooms to clean, they take the time to clean troughly and keep your room really neat and clean. If I was their boss I will give them a raise. Other people that we meet was Jennifer, Marta, Nadia and Erik from the Kids Club Our three kids, Haziel, Isaac, and Christopher were really happy with Nadia and Jennifer they loved you guys, and thank you, we missed you already, you are awesome with kids. they send you kisses and hugs. This goes for Edna too, and Ruben, and all the staff that works on the activities programs and the shows every night. this people really are hard workers. they made worth it to stay in Viva Vayarta. We will be back just for you guys.Now the things we din't like, First. at your arrival they gave to you just one Room Key and if you lost the key or your brassalete or your beach towell there is a $20,00 dollars fee. is not this an all inclusive resort?Second. The Rooms have no Drawers, and after two or three days is frustaiting and unconfortable to live ten days with all your clothes in and out of the luggage, most when you have 4 luggages in your room.Third. The umbrelas on the beach, there are not enough umbrelas or shadow areas, Viva has to invest in more umbrelas or palapas, because the sun is muy caliente some times.So there were more good things than bad ones, the important thing, is that we had a good time, and we will came back, next year, Thank you to all the staff of Viva

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 May 2003

We loved everything about club viva, from its young energetic staff, spotless grounds and great service that was always friendly. The food was fabulous with the specialty restaurants, an added bonus, with first class service. There were plenty of activities to keep you busy or not. The rooms were beautiful with extra touches that made it special such as swan towels and chocolates on the pillows. The layout of the place called for a fair amount of walking which we enjoyed, with a great set up separating adult and childrens pool areas. The adult pool was fantastic perched on the edge of the cliff overlooking the beach with its own cabana bar. Drinks were tasty but for beer officionados there was only one local brand served. The beach was pretty, but rather hazerdous for boogie boarding and body surfing due to the rocks. We all got our share of scrapes. We'd come again though for sure! Some of the people who served us like our apple tour director "Bruno" and Juan our Bellman, and many excellent waitors made for an unforgettable experience. The nightly shows were fun involving many of the staff that we got to know over the course of the week. Lots of talent! The resort is nicely removed from the city, and the only down side to this which has nothing to do with the hotel is the hair raising bus rides one hopes to survive in order to get to town. Over all it was an excellent resort which I would highly recommend to others!

3  Thank honeydew1
Reviewed 1 May 2003

What a super family vacation! I cannot say enough good things about Viva. The hotel grounds were kept immaculate, as well as the rooms. We constantly saw people cleaning and sweeping. I was very impressed by how hard the staff works. All employees were more than friendly and helpful. My husband and I took our 11 and 14 yr. old sons along and they had a blast. There was always something for them to do...boogie boarding, beach volleyball, water polo....you name it! My 14 yr. old tried surfing and had a great time, only downfall was the lack of boards at times, since others were using them. He still put in enough time to somewhat get the hang of it. (He's wishing we lived closer to the ocean!) The food at the buffet was varied and good. The breakfast selection is awesome! Made to order omelets were wonderful! The kids did not join us for dinner at the Portofino or Mexican restaurant, which is probally a good thing. They did the buffet since they like to get their food and eat quick, so they don't miss anything. My husband and I enjoyed both restaurants and the peace without the kids. Entertainment in the evenings was a lot of fun to watch. The staff that performs are very talented.For excursions, we did the snorkling. The water was very, very, cold! Almost unbearable. Our guide estimated the water temp around 50 degrees and I have no doubt it was, if not colder. The water was not as clear as I expected, (I've snorkled in Jamaica & Hawaii) and there wasn't a whole lot to see here. I was a little disappointed with this excursion, but others I had talked to enjoyed it..so maybe I was expecting too much.One day we went into Puerta Vallarta. We took the city bus which was perfectly fine and a lot cheaper than the shuttle or taxi. It was a good hour drive to town, which brings me to how remote the Viva is. I loved the fact we were away from the hustle and bustle of town, especially having the kids with. I never worried about them wandering off or leaving the property, because there was no where to gas others stated in reviews) and we would and most likely will go back next year.

Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 22 April 2003

My vacation began with my two ocean view front rooms being separated with one on the bay and one on the other side of the complex. My daughter and I took the non-scenic view and allowed my mother to have the view. Upon my daughter's arrival to her room, she was greeted by a two and a half inch scorpion, which will now haunt her for life. Nice way to start a vacation. I hoped it would get better and the hotel would make things better. Wrong.The next day the only compensation for the difference in the room prices was fruit on a plate unprotected by shrink wrap. We now had bug in our room. Not just where the fruit was, but in our bathroom, and on our beds. My mother had a room that was adjoining with someone else, but not with me. Previously we had mentioned to the hotel we would like adjoining rooms; we were told they do not have them. She had to ask that the adjoining doorframe be taped off due to smoke coming into her room. We had also asked for non-smoking rooms.I had phoned my travel agent back home to complain, and she informed me that an Apple representative was on site at the hotel. After confronting the rep. I was told nothing could be done. Marco puts a a bad name on Apple Vacations. Bruno later came on hand and was so much more accommodating, but it was too late. Bruno displays a wonderful image and a great attitude.I phoned the front desk one evening to let them know that my remote wasn't working for the T.V. It took four phone calls and two days later, and physically dropping off the remote to the front desk to get some action. Very sad.We got to eat at the specialty restaurants once. Also very sad. We stayed seven nights.There were several other things that happened, the list goes on. I wrote a three page letter to Apple Vacations hoping to get someone's attention regarding the time I stayed in a room I did not pay for. I'm extremely upset and disappointed. Don't take a chance on this place. Please.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 April 2003

Loved my vacation at Viva Vallarta. Flew in from Baltimore Md Friday evening April 11 arrived Viva around 10:30. Woke up on my Birthday to the most beautiful view of the Ocean and the pool area! All of the meals at all of the restuarants were wonderful. Had dinner for my birthday at Portofino and is was absolutely wonderful, awsome view of the ocean and sunset behind the cliff on the beach. Seafood choices were great and Mexican coffee is quite a show at the end of the meal! The room was great! And the service was too! I got flowers on my bed each night and the towels folded into swans and fancy folds! You've gotta love that!Bruno my Apple Rep was GREAT! I took 2 Apple tours, the paradise which included a city tour, tequilla tour and lunch at a great restaurant. Lunch was awesome, 2 lobster tails, 6 shrimp, broiled whole with head red fish and two other fish fillets! Wow was that great and only 24 US. The spa services I had were great too. I got the outdoor massage and the Viva Plan Special which it Aromatherapy Massage and Facial about 2 hours of pampering! Prices vary between 30 US for outdoor 25 minutes and 95 US for Aromoatherapy. A real winner!Everyone was wonderful and I wish I was back there right now! M.T.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#14 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!