“Simply a dream”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
San Francisco, California
“Simply a dream”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for 6 nights to celebrate my 30th birthday. It was our first vacation together as a newer couple, and we felt so lucky! It was a perfect place to get close, literally & figuratively.

What to say. So much.

We rented a car which may not have been that much cheaper than the hotel's service to/from PVR, but we enjoyed having it. Finding Imanta wasn't too hard, but it was an adventure. I really enjoyed going past the towns on the way, Bucerias, La Cruz, etc and then the drive from Higuera Blanca into Imanta was awesome. It was like a Disneyland ride and video game in one for the BF driver, since the roads are through the jungle. We were nervous about "fording a stream" in our small sedan, but in February it was dried up so no worries.

They do a great job communicating through the property, so we had people expecting us after the first check point, and our jaws were on the floor for the first 24hrs. The reception area. The main building. Our Jungle Casa. The Food. The beach. The people. everything is amazing. We are screwed for any other vacation, and I am so happy we get to remember this as our first together, and we look forward to coming back.

We stayed in a Jungle Casa, ours was just below the main building, and it was called Tetewan. We liked that it was close to both the beach and main building, but yet so private you felt miles away. Since there are only 12 (?) residences in total right now, you rarely ran into other guests, and when we did everyone was pleasant and never intruded our relaxation (except for one family on the last day, but that was no fault to Imanta). Our Jungle Casa did not have a private pool, but it had a private terrace with a king sized day bed, soaking tub made out of a large boulder rock and an outdoor shower. Inside we had a king sized bed, which allowed for good sleep, but it might have been my only complaint about the room. The entire property including our room was beautifully, simply and tastefully decorated. We had an awesome closet, shower, sink areas, all with little touches and lovely amenities. (I don't want to describe everything, the fun is getting your initial tour and discovering things as you stay! But I miss that nespresso machine ;)

The food is AMAZING. Oh wow. From room service to breakfast to The Catch on the beach to dinner at Tupika (the restaurant at the main building), it is so delicious. Definitely enjoy the specials because the fish is fresh and the ingenuity of the dishes really shows. The only complaint I have (and I heard this from a few others) was that it is pretty dark for dinner. We didn't have too much of a problem with this, but it mostly is a bummer because you can't see the presentation as it should be, which is half of it! We had just done a mezcal tasting at La Urbana in our hometown of San Francisco before coming and as big fans of the liquor we really enjoyed the Mezcal Margaritas they made for us by request. Both with fresh mango and more classic citrus versions. It was awesome they could tailor really anything to our preferences. Another highlight were the lobster sopas that were a special starter item, and the duck burritos at breakfast. The ceviches and camarones quesadillas at the Catch were our favorites down at the beach!

When I read reviews before I came, a few spoke about the chef coming to the table and asking what you wanted to eat. We instead had menus and to be honest I was glad that we did. The idea sounded cool, but I wouldn't know what to ask for! So it was nice to have options laid out in the menu, yet I knew I could ask for something different if I had a craving.

Our time was spent mostly being deliciously lazy on the beach, on our day bed, and at the main pool, and then we did a few activities too. These included a jungle hike with Alejandro, horseback riding through the jungle onto the beach and in-room massages. We also took advantage of having a car and drove north to Sayulita for an afternoon/evening trip and had fun checking out the cute little town. If you go, find a little restaurant on a side street just north of the main square, with a brick wall painted in red that says "love is love". Their food was so delicious and cheap!

One tip to pass on, is about scheduling activities. We Americans are used to having to book things weeks out and stick to times, etc, but we would call the concierge to confirm things we had requested ahead of time and it felt no different than if we called to schedule it right then and there. So changing times or more was very flexible. Caught us off guard, but it was a refreshing change from the usual way we have to do things!

At the beach, we never had to compete for, or reserve any chairs or cabanas. There were enough to go around. Same with tables for places to eat at the restaurants.

Another tip: check out the boutique! They have high end swimsuits, beach bags, clothes, jewelry and cute kid items and we loved the 3D topographic map of the property.

I am sure there is more to say, but to conclude, it was truly a dream vacation. I have been calling it my best vacation and my best birthday. They do a great job making you feel welcome, taken care of, but also left alone. If you have a chance to stay here, do. You won't regret it. But then again, don't, because I want to keep it to myself! ;)

A big thank you to Rodrigo, Maria, Alejandro, Oscar, Eduardo, Virginia, the 2 Juans and the 2 Daniels for making our stay SO memorable.

Room Tip: even though we had a Jungle Casa, we had a smidge of an ocean view from the terrace and even if we d...
4 Thank karolynSF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Is that eventually other people will learn about it. In my effort to keep this gem a secret, I will not talk about the villas (which are large, airy, beautiful and modern). I will not talk about the staff (which is caring, friendly, attentive and omnipresent). I will not talk about the beach (which is private, peaceful, well situated). I will not talk about the food (which is fresh, tasty, creative). I will not say anything about this property (which is world class, and whose guests appreciate its very special nature). Just in case I am wrong about my review, I will have to go back soon to make sure I got it right.

Room Tip: They are all excellent. If you pay more, your proximity to the ocean and quality of views will be b...
3 Thank Mitchell K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We both needed a restful, romantic retreat, in warm weather to escape the brutal Northeastern winter, and we found it at Imanta. From the zen-like and luxurious rooms, the fabulous infinity pool outside our room, to the excellent food, warm and gracious staff, and wonderful private beach, we found Imanta to be the perfect place, and frankly, the nicest resort we have ever visited. On top of the main building at Imanta there is an observatory, where each evening we went to see the sunsets, which were absolutely spectacular. The resort offers a gym, spa treatments, and just about anything else a couple could desire. One hour north of Puerto Vallarta, and a direct flight from Newark on United, and we were in the lap of luxury. There are many activities one can participate in, but for this couple, we had breakfast by our infinity pool, went to the beach, read and swam, had incredibly good lunches at "The Catch" right on the beach, and swam in the ocean more than we had since we were kids. We returned home after a terrific week, tanned, relaxed, reinvigorated, and already planning our return to Imanta next year!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We would recommend Los Templos or Norte, which are oceanfront casas.
1 Thank Henry L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This place is paradise!! Beautiful senery, location, you feel like you are in a tropical jungle. Rooms are to die for. We stayed in the Casona jaguar. Felt like I was in fantasy island. Good job imanta you nailed it.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Davidalexander5
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 February 2014

GREAT trip. 4 days here relaxed me like a 2 week vacation elsewhere.

Food = GREAT. Slow, local and not a price gouge. Best fish we've ever had.
Rooms = GREAT. We stayed at the "worst" room ... just above the restaurant. It may have actually been the best room as the views were amazing. The restaurant and rooftop bar were steps away ... yet you didn't hear a sound and no one could peak in.
Nature = 2 great hikes ... remember this is 250 acres with 12 rooms or so.
Staff = great and friendly ... a little less service quality than St. Regis ... likely only because they simply have less volume and are, therefore, less likely to systemitize things

Only downside was swimming at the beach ... not a great idea. It was beautiful but too rough.

Room Tip: I'd absolutely recommend the room above the restaurant. It was great. Also, we got a deal...
1 Thank terry l
valley village, ca
Reviewed 26 January 2014

WOW. Hard to put into words how amazing this place is. We travel a lot and this place truly exceeded all expectations. Firstly, the property is 250 acres of jungle on a private soft sand beach. Much better sand than we found in Punta Mita. The rooms are…. insane. Ours had a private pool and a huuuuge comfortable bed. The outdoor shower was so romantic as well. We spent 4 days here and only left once. The food is absolutely incredible! Fresh, clean, and perfectly prepared. I also noticed the prices for massages and meals was much cheaper than other 5 star resorts in the area. We were one of 3 couples staying there and we rarely saw anyone since the property is so large.
All things being said, the best part of this place is the staff. Everyone knew our names after the first day and helped make the trip perfect. It was our "baby moon" and they truly treated us like royalty. Joseph at Fresh Catch (the beach restaurant) and Israel at the upstairs restaurant were the best. We are done splurging on chain "luxury" hotels like the Four Season and St Regis. THIS place is our new go to.
*I know they welcome families, but this place is much better suited for couples.
**Only advice I have for management is to offer some more "casual" dining options at the upstairs restaurant for dinner. I usually just had the chef make me a green salad since every night of "fancy" eating was not our thing. A basic green salad on the menu would be ideal.

Room Tip: EVERY room is superb. Even the "cheaper" options. Cant go wrong staying here.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rachellebrandon
ImantaResort, Public Relations Manager at Imanta Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you so much for your review.
We are so flattered to read it was the best vacation of your lives and that it exceeded your expectations. We will share it with the staff specially with Joseph and Israel!
Thank you for your recommendation on Tukipas Menu, we want our guests to feel at home, so all is possible.
Thanks and we hope to see you again in a near future!
New York
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Absolutely amazing stay. The location makes you feel like you have the whole beach and jungle to yourself, the service from the staff is incredibly attentive and friendly. They think of every detail to make your stay completely relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review.
We will share your comments with the staff.
We are so happy that you enjoyed and relaxed, it is not very easy nowadays and we really try to achieve that.
Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,772 reviews

Been to Imanta Resort? Share your experiences!