“Romance, Romance and More Romance”
Review of Imanta Resort

Imanta Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
New York City, New York
“Romance, Romance and More Romance”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you are looking for an intimate stay at one of the most romantic hotels in Mexico, Imanta is for you. We just spent 3 nights at Imanta Resort and could not have asked for more. We were greeted by Akis, the GM, as we arrived. later, we were sought out by Alex, Sales Manager. Wonderful hosts at this 12 casita resort. The staff were absolutely committed to our enjoying every aspect of this unique combination beach and jungle resort. Service was prompt and could not have been more accommodating.

Privacy at our casita, Nassima, was beautiful: large, comfortable and romantic. The private pool just added to the enjoyment of relaxing with someone you love to be with.

The cuisine was as good as you can find. On the beach at The Catch restaurant, Joseph was an amazing host and a better chef. Our 3 lunches were among the best seafood we ever tasted and a special yogurt-based desert after our meal was a perfect compliment. Watching the waves roll in while enjoying the guacamole (excellent) with fresh chips (taco, banana, potato) with a cool drink anticipating the chef's creation (try the grilled jumbo shrimp) just added to the feeling of comfort and luxury. The seafood was fresh daily. Yum! At night, dinner on the restaurant terrace was made even more romantic by the lighting which is a big thing for me, in particular. Seafood is the focus but the chef will prepare anything you ask for and the beef was juicy and tender.

I know that there is at least one dissatisfied person who stayed here, but I think that experience was an anomaly. This is THE most luxurious and romantic resort we've stayed at. Treat yourself and your romantic partner to a special few days of romance and luxury. You'll not want to leave!

Room Tip: Nassima was perfect for privacy. Didn't see all the rooms but each appeared to have its own spe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Tayua. The casita is on the ocean with it's own very large pool. Very private and listening to the waves during our slumber made us sleep 9+ hours which never happens! Breakfast is included with your room. Whether you dine in the restaurant or have it delivered so that's very nice. I'm a heels kind girl. I don't know what I expected but heels are not an easy thing to wear around the resort. I really hate calling it a resort because it's so much more. The casitas are set on the hillside using all the natural elements of the jungle. If you have tevas or sandals like that, your better off. The steps are all rocks and climbing the steps to the restaurant can be steep and problematic. Use a climbing sandal of sorts. The dress is casual during the day and just use your judgement for dinner. I do wish they had fans outside of the restaurant because the inside of the restaurant is small and you feel very closed in but if you eat outside the air does not move and the bugs make your meal not that enjoyable. I could see why most people took their meals in their villa.
The meals at "Catch" were my favorite!!!!!! We had parrot fish cooked on an open flame and different ceviches and OH MY!!!!! Increiblé! We looked forward to Joseph and the staff at the beach. All of the food should be focused that way!!! Loved loved loved it. I found dinner to be a little "trying too hard". There are so many natural ingredients in their surroundings and I felt the dinner menu took away from that. They tried to be too "chefy", if I can make up a word. And it so doesn't need that.
They are a young resort. And still learning but I can tell you what ... I can't wait to come again. It was a recharge that was desperately needed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dvswank
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Manager Akis Neocleous and his staff take a setting out if paradise and make it even more. Such service is rarely found. The food is worth the trip alone. Everything as fresh as can be and prepared as you want and at prices quite reasonable. More than exceeded my expectations in every way. By far the most totally relaxing place I have ever been. World Class in every respect.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank William E
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This place is a dream. Beautiful very low key resort situated on a private beach in the middle of a rain forest. Not your typical resort and not for anyone that wants a cruise ship resort feel. Amazing staff, who are attentive but invisible. Food is incredible and the setting is spectacular. I can't recommend more. If you are looking to truly get away from it all in a luxurious setting this is for you

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for 6 nights to celebrate my 30th birthday. It was our first vacation together as a newer couple, and we felt so lucky! It was a perfect place to get close, literally & figuratively.

What to say. So much.

We rented a car which may not have been that much cheaper than the hotel's service to/from PVR, but we enjoyed having it. Finding Imanta wasn't too hard, but it was an adventure. I really enjoyed going past the towns on the way, Bucerias, La Cruz, etc and then the drive from Higuera Blanca into Imanta was awesome. It was like a Disneyland ride and video game in one for the BF driver, since the roads are through the jungle. We were nervous about "fording a stream" in our small sedan, but in February it was dried up so no worries.

They do a great job communicating through the property, so we had people expecting us after the first check point, and our jaws were on the floor for the first 24hrs. The reception area. The main building. Our Jungle Casa. The Food. The beach. The people. everything is amazing. We are screwed for any other vacation, and I am so happy we get to remember this as our first together, and we look forward to coming back.

We stayed in a Jungle Casa, ours was just below the main building, and it was called Tetewan. We liked that it was close to both the beach and main building, but yet so private you felt miles away. Since there are only 12 (?) residences in total right now, you rarely ran into other guests, and when we did everyone was pleasant and never intruded our relaxation (except for one family on the last day, but that was no fault to Imanta). Our Jungle Casa did not have a private pool, but it had a private terrace with a king sized day bed, soaking tub made out of a large boulder rock and an outdoor shower. Inside we had a king sized bed, which allowed for good sleep, but it might have been my only complaint about the room. The entire property including our room was beautifully, simply and tastefully decorated. We had an awesome closet, shower, sink areas, all with little touches and lovely amenities. (I don't want to describe everything, the fun is getting your initial tour and discovering things as you stay! But I miss that nespresso machine ;)

The food is AMAZING. Oh wow. From room service to breakfast to The Catch on the beach to dinner at Tupika (the restaurant at the main building), it is so delicious. Definitely enjoy the specials because the fish is fresh and the ingenuity of the dishes really shows. The only complaint I have (and I heard this from a few others) was that it is pretty dark for dinner. We didn't have too much of a problem with this, but it mostly is a bummer because you can't see the presentation as it should be, which is half of it! We had just done a mezcal tasting at La Urbana in our hometown of San Francisco before coming and as big fans of the liquor we really enjoyed the Mezcal Margaritas they made for us by request. Both with fresh mango and more classic citrus versions. It was awesome they could tailor really anything to our preferences. Another highlight were the lobster sopas that were a special starter item, and the duck burritos at breakfast. The ceviches and camarones quesadillas at the Catch were our favorites down at the beach!

When I read reviews before I came, a few spoke about the chef coming to the table and asking what you wanted to eat. We instead had menus and to be honest I was glad that we did. The idea sounded cool, but I wouldn't know what to ask for! So it was nice to have options laid out in the menu, yet I knew I could ask for something different if I had a craving.

Our time was spent mostly being deliciously lazy on the beach, on our day bed, and at the main pool, and then we did a few activities too. These included a jungle hike with Alejandro, horseback riding through the jungle onto the beach and in-room massages. We also took advantage of having a car and drove north to Sayulita for an afternoon/evening trip and had fun checking out the cute little town. If you go, find a little restaurant on a side street just north of the main square, with a brick wall painted in red that says "love is love". Their food was so delicious and cheap!

One tip to pass on, is about scheduling activities. We Americans are used to having to book things weeks out and stick to times, etc, but we would call the concierge to confirm things we had requested ahead of time and it felt no different than if we called to schedule it right then and there. So changing times or more was very flexible. Caught us off guard, but it was a refreshing change from the usual way we have to do things!

At the beach, we never had to compete for, or reserve any chairs or cabanas. There were enough to go around. Same with tables for places to eat at the restaurants.

Another tip: check out the boutique! They have high end swimsuits, beach bags, clothes, jewelry and cute kid items and we loved the 3D topographic map of the property.

I am sure there is more to say, but to conclude, it was truly a dream vacation. I have been calling it my best vacation and my best birthday. They do a great job making you feel welcome, taken care of, but also left alone. If you have a chance to stay here, do. You won't regret it. But then again, don't, because I want to keep it to myself! ;)

A big thank you to Rodrigo, Maria, Alejandro, Oscar, Eduardo, Virginia, the 2 Juans and the 2 Daniels for making our stay SO memorable.

Room Tip: even though we had a Jungle Casa, we had a smidge of an ocean view from the terrace and even if we d...
4 Thank karolynSF
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Is that eventually other people will learn about it. In my effort to keep this gem a secret, I will not talk about the villas (which are large, airy, beautiful and modern). I will not talk about the staff (which is caring, friendly, attentive and omnipresent). I will not talk about the beach (which is private, peaceful, well situated). I will not talk about the food (which is fresh, tasty, creative). I will not say anything about this property (which is world class, and whose guests appreciate its very special nature). Just in case I am wrong about my review, I will have to go back soon to make sure I got it right.

Room Tip: They are all excellent. If you pay more, your proximity to the ocean and quality of views will be b...
3 Thank Mitchell K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We both needed a restful, romantic retreat, in warm weather to escape the brutal Northeastern winter, and we found it at Imanta. From the zen-like and luxurious rooms, the fabulous infinity pool outside our room, to the excellent food, warm and gracious staff, and wonderful private beach, we found Imanta to be the perfect place, and frankly, the nicest resort we have ever visited. On top of the main building at Imanta there is an observatory, where each evening we went to see the sunsets, which were absolutely spectacular. The resort offers a gym, spa treatments, and just about anything else a couple could desire. One hour north of Puerto Vallarta, and a direct flight from Newark on United, and we were in the lap of luxury. There are many activities one can participate in, but for this couple, we had breakfast by our infinity pool, went to the beach, read and swam, had incredibly good lunches at "The Catch" right on the beach, and swam in the ocean more than we had since we were kids. We returned home after a terrific week, tanned, relaxed, reinvigorated, and already planning our return to Imanta next year!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. We would recommend Los Templos or Norte, which are oceanfront casas.
1 Thank Henry L
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,774 reviews

Been to Imanta Resort? Share your experiences!