“Unfriendly owner - not worth it”
Review of Casa Valentina

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akumal
Casa Valentina
Ranked #5 of 7 Akumal B&B and Inns
Kansas City, Missouri
“Unfriendly owner - not worth it”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Owners not friendly and pretty anti-American except when it comes to accepting dollars. For the money, there are nicer places that are happier to have you as a guest.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dan J
CasaValentina, Owner at Casa Valentina, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
When did you stay in Casa Valentina B&B? We don't remeber you...Anyway we don't hate the persons from the United States...we love USA...may be you hate italian and mexican (it's a joke!).
I precise that we just offer bed ( the rooms are huge, confortable, with any service and clean) and breakfast for a very cheap price...of course us smiles and courtesy are not on sale and we always give them free for us guest, if they wish... Have a nice day and we hope to see you early!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 16 April 2012

What a pleasure! This little gem is way out of the business of Akumal and Tulum.

What you will enjoy at Valentina:

1. The friendly service. Gerardo is a peaceful fountain of knowledge about the local natural environment, the flora and fauna, the local social atmosphere, and the real quality places to go and things to do.

2. The wildlife. We experienced numerous beautiful birds singing and butterflies, just during our breakfast in the breezeway. At night, go exploring for wonderful insects. We found giant scorpions, a moth the size of two flat adult hands, huge centipedes and more! Please be assured that Yucatan bugs are not dangerous. :)

3. Location: a couple of kilometers into the jungle, yet quick and easy access to nightlife and beautiful beaches. Check out Yal Ku lagoon nearby. It is inexpensive, withbreathtaking sealife.

Do this, relax, and enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012
Madison WI
Reviewed 6 March 2012

When I turned down the little road off the coastal highway that led to Casa Valentina, I didn't know quite what to expect -- only that it was "in the jungle," on the landward side of the highway. The road got smaller bumpier and I was SO glad to see the Casa Valentina sign; if it's your first time, don't give up, you'll get there (in any kind of car). Gerardo greeted me and showed me to my clean, well-appointed, simple room. I fell asleep to the sounds of crickets and the breeze in the fronds above, and woke to a beautiful setting. Breakfast was plentiful and Gerardo couldn't have been friendlier or more gracious. The grounds have paths that take you on a roundabout walk through jungle flora and fauna. Birds, butterflies, that brilliant Caribbean sunshine, and absolute peace. Although only a few minutes' drive from both Playa and Pueblo Akumal, and about 25 minutes to Playa del Carmen, it's truly in its own world. One one caution: thie is NOT the place for a partying crowd. It's a small, quiet, welcoming oasis in the jungle.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Oakland, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We visited Casa Valentina twice in the past 3 years. Once with our 2 year old at the time daughter and the next time as a couple. Both times our stay was peaceful, both times we celebrated New Year's Eve and both times we had the great opportunity to talk to the owners and find out more about the area. Close in proximity to the Akumal beach, Coba ruins, Tulum and the beaches south of there. It is a beautiful, calm place with very hospitable hosts. Jerardo's Mexican cooking is great and Valentina's pasta brings me back to Italy.
Disregard the "shady owner" review. It can be hot and intimidating to be in a foreign country where people have different ways of expressing themselves!
Make sure to keep your eyes open for the beautiful birds that visit Casa Valentina!
Thank you Gerardo and Valentina for both of our memorable stays at your house!

Room Tip: the back king suite is great!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank STLL7
Heilbronn, Germany
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We are German but try to write in English - so sorry for the mistakes.

We decided to stay here because this B&B is very special. Completely different to accommodations in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel or other touristic places along the Caribbean side of Yucatan. Different to all the synthetic resorts with faked sceneries, swanky pool-regions, stuff with a uniformed smiling and sumptuous buffets. In this place everything is real and comes from heart.

Casa Valentina is easy to find. Coming from Playa del Carmen you leave the highway to the right (signposted) and go 5 to 10 minutes straight in the jungle. The gravel road is not the best but if you drive slowly it is no problem for any car.

Gerardo, the owner of the place is a very nice guy. We stood in his house for four weeks and had a time, we will never forget in our live. Of cause Gerardo needs to have routines: What to cook for breakfast and at what time, when making up the rooms and so on. But if there is anything you want to change, just tell Gerardo. He does everything for his guests to make them a good time and to feel home.

The accommodation is special and so are the guest. We met two graphic designers from San Francisco, an opera singer from NYS, we had a great night with a couple from Calgary (cheers!)... People who love real live and graving for the spirit of pure nature. Just one couple was pissed, because a neighbours rooster was singing a few times at night and they didn’t get a juice in the morning automatically – so they decided to leave after one night.

Our room was specious enough to stay four weeks comfortable. Outside of the room we had two private patios with tables and chairs. There was an A/C but really no need to use. The humidity was high, we had 25 Degrees during the day and in some nights it even was a little bit chilly. We told Gerardo and he gave us an extra blanket. The room has a large bathroom, with a separating wall to the part were you sleep. The bathroom includes a washing base, a Toilet, a spacious shower with a beautiful view to the green of the jungle and a room for the wardrobe. Everything is open, light and airier. The sleeping-/living room has a large bed, a commode with a big flat screen TV, Chairs… you have free internet – all what you need. The only thing we missed was a fridge.

Nearly everyday we got a different breakfast. We told Gerardo, that we would like to have juice. So every morning he went to his orange- and grapefruit-trees picked some fruits and squeezed them - mmmhhh! Where else do you have the opportunity to get juice fresh from the tree? Ask Gerardo for this great extra-service!

We loved it in the evening to sit on our patio or in conjunction with Gerardo or other guest in the “open-air-lounge of the Casa - drinking a glass of wine, smoking a Cuban Cigar, hearing some chilly music, all the sounds of the jungle around us, a fantastic starry sky and having good conversation. Live can be so fine - especially in Casa Valentina!

Finely the place is a good choice for excursions. In 15 Minutes you can reach different beaches and a lot of restaurants, same time to the village of Akumal. 30 Minutes to Playa del Carmen and Tulum, 90 Minutes to Cancun. The same time to the ruins of Coba and one hour more to Chichen Itza. But at the end of the trips the best every day was to return in our quiet, friendly and peaceful “jungle-home” Casa Valentina.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ManuRalf
Breezy Point, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Booked a room here for two nights after spending 6 nights in Cozumel based on the tripadvisor reviews and we were so looking forward to our jungle stay. We arrived and it would be impossible for someone to be less friendly than Jarerdo. Didn't tell us anything about the property, offer us a drink or maybe even one of his famous margaritas. Had to ask where the pool was and he pointed to it, it was filthy by the way. His main concern was what he thought he was owed. He told me I needed to pay my balance which I thought was a bit strange considering I only owed $20 but he showed me his paperwork and it showed yes I paid the $120 through booking.com but I owed another $140 and that the total was $260. I figured I must have made a mistake so I paid. I then looked at my confirmation from Casa Valentina and booking.com and it clearly stated $140 total so I asked Jarerdo about it and he immediately got defensive and said he needed to skype Valentina as she was responsible for the booking, next thing you know he's screaming at her like a maniac. Little disturbing yes, but he brought us the money and blamed Valentina. Lets be serious here, he knew the room wasn't $130 a night. I asked him if the guests could use the fridge and he said no " it's my business" if you need something you could purchase it from me, I said oh perfect you have wine, no only beer. OK no biggie I'm only here two nights. Onto the room, your in the jungle, it's very humid and hot so I asked him where the remote was for the A/C and he said you don't need A/C it gets cold at night, I said I'd like to have it just in case, he then tells me the last guest who stayed in the room stole it, so no A/C. The guy is a liar and a bad one at that plain and simple. So we go to Playa Del Carmen for dinner, and don't let him B.S. you about it being 15 to 20 mins. away, it takes nearly 10 mins. to get to the highway and at least another 25 mins. from there. Had a nice night in Playa, great dinner, people and music. Get back to the room, have to leave my un-lockable screen door open and it's hot, humid, no air movement and a rooster crowing all night (they don't wait for sun rise in the jungle apparently). The bed and linens are cheap as well. Also the toilet doesn't have a real door, more like shutters or the kinda door on a saloon in an old western, so no privacy whatsoever, it's located about 4 feet from the headboard on the bed, so you literally hear everything going on in there. I had to leave the room to give my wife some private time and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes. OK it's morning, I had a terrible nights sleep we sit down to scrambled eggs and fatty ham, cold re fried black beans and coffee, no juice. Fine enough but where I finally lost it was when another couple staying sat down near us, he's very nice to them and he brings them two big glasses of fresh squeezed juice to start, I may sound petty but there is no doubt in our minds he did it on purpose. I told em he was rude and we were outta there, he said you know I'm by myself, like that's an excuse for being a total jerk. I know I sound bitter and I certainly am and you would be too if you got this dis respected on your vacation. I spent 6 wonderful nights in Cozumel, Miramar 403 it was perfect and Matias the property manager was a total gentlemen. My wife said to me why do you always want to go to Cozumel and Isla Mujeres, I said I don't like big touristy places and I want to enjoy the locals, Jarerdo is the exception. If you want a great B&B try Baldwins guesthouse in Cozumel it's in a residential area, the property is gorgeous, the owners are fantastic and the breakfasts are to die for.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here I think you're nuts but if you do, there's only 3 rooms jus...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank andrew g
Chester County, Pa.
Reviewed 22 March 2011

This is a great place to stay if you have a vehicle,( any car can negotiate the long dirt road in, it's part of the remoteness.).. The hosts are knowledgeable and really listen to what you want out of your vacation, and in our case hit the nail on the head in every instance... It's like getting a free travel agent!

Everything was clean, beautiful,comfortable and/or delicious!

So eat here, great meals and priced fairly.! Ask for directions to your pleasure: snorkeling, restaurants, cenotes, deserted beaches,whatever your little old heart desires, and they will make it come true.

Also we saw many AMAZING birds, and even found a cenote on a bird walk. Our next to the highest recommendations because early risers can't make your own coffee and must wait til 8 am. That's the only beef.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gopherbroke000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
LM Hotel Boutique
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,118 reviews

Been to Casa Valentina? Share your experiences!