“Great value for money”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Peterborough, Ontario
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This was a girls trip for my friend and I the end of July. Last year we stayed at The Royal in Playa Del Carmen which I did not like at all so we were looking for a change. My husband and I frequent Secrets Maroma beach resort a couple of times a year so my standards are pretty high. It would be unfair of me to compare Sian Kaan to this resort however, for the money we paid I was very impressed with our stay.
I enjoyed the more mixed clientele from Europe and found that even though people had fun it didn't feel like spring break for adults.
Before this trip I had read many reviews stating the quality of the food in the buffet was outstanding and I have to agree. Both a la carte restaurants were also impressive, however I found the ones outside Sian Kaan in the other Bahia areas not so good and we ate only at Sian Kaan. Drink selection was very good, my only complaint was the lobby bar closed at 11pm......I have experienced this at other Bahia resorts and don't get it, but I guess it is their company policy.
Staff were all outstanding, kind and helpful.......please remember to tip and treat people as you would wish to be treated.
I agree with other posters that the beach area is a little small but we always found a seat. Outside our room was the quiet pool which we enjoyed very much.
The trolly system works well and we had no trouble getting around, we enjoyed the scenery and all the animals. The golf course looks amazing.
We had no rain during our stay so did not encounter many Mosquitos, however folks it is Mexico so expect them and come prepared.
We attended the fitness classes offered at the Tao Wellness centre........I own a Pilates studio so it would not be fair to comment on the quality or safety of the classes but it sure was a lot of fun. We did not use the spa as I find the price for a massage in Mexico resorts is way too high. We would take the trolly to the main road and take the collectivo (local van/bus system) into Playa Del Carmen for three dollars where we could get a massage on the beach for twenty dollars. Very easy and safe......the vans are a white/grey colour with air conditioning so very comfortable.
I found the rooms to be fairly basic but adequate, but again, for the price I paid this resort exceeded my expectations and I will return again next year.

Room Tip: The quiet pool area is very relaxing.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jaymars1
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending a great week vacation at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for taking the time to send some valuable comments about it.

Your positive comments about our services and facilities are very rewarding. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food, tram service, food, Tao Wellness center, a la carte restaurants and service; we will forward your comments to our staff.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort. It was our pleasure to be at your service.

Warm Regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed with my husband at this resort last week in July and I am still reaping the benefits of this relaxing vacation having to resume our busy lives. The service we received was top notch so therefore we would like to thank their staff for doing whatever it takes to keep guests happy. We really enjoyed the food and the benefit of having access to all the BP resorts. Cleanliness is very important to us and we were impressed seeing how this was clearly demonstrated everywhere we went in the resort areas. I was a bit concerned at the beginning about the location of our room in front of the pool area however we encountered no issues with noise. Not a party central type of resort so if you are looking for a great place to relax, the Sian Ka'an will fit the bill. We hope to return again to recharge our batteries and are recommending this resort to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dim1964
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review you posted on Trip Advisor about your stay on July at the Luxury Bahia Principe sian Ka’an resort, we are glad to read that you had a relaxing and perfect vacation.

Your comments are very welcome as show us what our guests enjoy more, these help us to keep providing the great service we strive for.

We wish to have another opportunity to welcome you back,

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2013

This hotel was one of the best I've ever stayed in. From the minute we arrived with welcome cocktails, which I thought was a very nice touch. The staff were amazing like Sintia who worked in the bar area and Martha those two were awesome. This hotel made you feel very valued the customer service was spot on. The fact you can hop on shuttle buses between resorts was great. Sian khan was by far the best out of all the other principe. At Sian khan you could use all 4 hotels the other hotel guest couldn't use Sian khan. Will definitely be back. Thanks for an amazing hol

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank linzicorey
Dear Linzi,

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for considering one of the best resorts you have ever stayed in, this make us feel very proud and definitely encourage us to continually provide all our guests with the best experience they truly deserve.

We will forward your comments to our entire staff especially to Sintia and Marta; they are great ambassadors of the service in our hotel.

It will be wonderful to welcome you in the future,

Kind Regards,

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I am writing this from my room watching the water run I to the room from two points. I stayed in the room last year and it did exactly the same. I reported it last year and nothing was done. I reported twice yesterday and still nothing has been done even after I told them my wife had slipped over nearly cracking her head open on the table. I thought this must have been just my room but my daughter arrived yesterday and guess what water all over the floor. The policy seems to be wait until it stops raining and the complaints will stop but really this is a 5* luxury resort and leaking rooms are not acceptable and burying your head in the sand will not make the issue go away it will only make the matters worse as prolonged water ingress will weaken the structure and fabric of the building. That all said if the sun shines there is no better place in the world to be great staff, great service(apart from above) great food fantastic beach great people special mention to Oliver at La Tortuga

Really sorry though Sian Kaan you really have let yourselves down and need to deal with these leaking Rooms and I am sad to say we were planning to come back next year for a third time but not now. 5* Hotels should deal with serious issues of leaking rooms

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Huddersred
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to rectify on site, the situations that are making your stay not comfortable; the comment about your currently stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an is being taken into consideration and is following up.

We apologize for the inconveniences you have had; please do not hesitate to contact me directly while you are staying here so I can assist you in anything you might need.

Warmest Regards,

Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had such a great time here! The food was amazing, even the buffet. The whole complex of resorts were clean and the food was good. Sian Kaan was quiet, kid free. Everyone was super friendly and accomodating. We would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Higher floor=less bugs!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Abby P
Dear Abby,

We do appreciate hearing from our guests after visiting us at the Riviera Maya; their comments are vital for us to continuously improve our service.

Thank you for your recent stay at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for the comments you wrote about it. We would be delighted to assist you in the future,

Best Regards,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I just came back from Sian Kaan. We stayed in a junior suite in room 24/42401, on the first floor, near the big pool.
Very clean and well maintained. The bed was a California King, very comfy, would have stayed in bed all day!! The roads in the back were a bit noisy but not that bothersome. The Sian kaan area is very lush in gardens and jungles. It's clean and quiet. There are some Bugs!!! No kids so it is very relaxing. Gabriella did a great job at the pool and beach to provide us with drinks.

The buffet at Sian kaan is over the top and fancy. Little shot glasses filled with bouchees and spoon bites, different cheeses, ethnic foods, vegetarian, desserts... Food for all tastes. Heads up to Daniel, Ramone, Alex at the buffet. They were great!!! We visited both restaurants at the Sian Kaan, Alux and Maiko. Alux is international gourmet. and Maiko Japanese. Pablo at the Maiko was so sweet. Love him!! We also went to the Arlequin in Akumal, and Le gourmet in Coba. All very good, the service is excellent but some AC or more ventilation is needed in Le gourmet!!! You will not be disappointed with the choices of restaurants and buffet!! I booked all our restaurants in advance by writing to the public relation address seen sometimes below. They did it in a flash for us!!

You'll need to travel with little shuttles to access other resorts. Loved those shuttles!! They were fun to ride, especially at night. Never waited more then 10 min for one. Lots can be done and seen. You'll have access to all the shows going on at the other resorts. Ask for the schedule at the reception.We went to the circus show in Tulum and the Micheal Jackson show in Coba . Get there early to get some seats. There's also a flee market at the Hacienda where you can do your shopping. Its in the resort where they organize every Thursday a Big Fiesta in the Hacienda area.

Sian Kaan visitors have a private area at the beach with our private bar, showers and seats. Unfortunately, you will have to wake up early like 8 am and eat at the Tulum buffet or Grand Torturo buffet for breakfast like we did to get a beach front seat under those huts. Forget it if you get there pass 9h30 am. You will have to go elsewhere, or sit on your towel in the sand. They give towels at that beach bar btw!! Jesus, Sintia, Martha and Gabriela did a real good job at the beach serving us with a smile. Great crew.

For beach lovers, well I was disappointed with the beach. Some place I almost cut my feet with rocks and corals. It should be cleaned out more and also they have HUGE sand bags in the ocean that look like beached whales. It really tarnishes the look. But the snorkling in the Siann Kaan beach was great.

Room Tip: Ask a second level room if you want more privacy!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rachel S
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays at the Mayan Riviera.

We appreciate so much that you have taken the time to write your positive comments concerning your recent stay at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an. We are happy to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed all our facilities; thank you very much for mentioning the great service of our staff. We will forward your comments to our team.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Mexican Caribbean!

Warm regards,

New York
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I recently stayed at the gbp Sian Kaan the first week of August with my huband and had a great vacation, we could have stayed longer. The hotel is about an hour from cancun international airport so make sure your carrier sets up the shuttle for you. Sian Kaan is not directly on the beach, but trust me thats okay.We arrived in the evening and got to the hotel around 11pm so check in was really easy. I had emailed Brisa in public relations about two weeks before the visit to ask about an upgrade and set up my dinner reservations and she was so helpfull. As we checked in we were given frosty drinks, handed reciepts for all our dinner reservations at the a la carts and told we had an upgraded room. Brisa had done everything for me, It such a relief, she is great.This was all in the span of like five minutes, which was perfect because even at 11pm it was 90 degrees and I was ready for bed. They use golf carts to get around everywhere, that your first clue on the size of the resort.

The room was very spacious and the closet a good size for two people, I can see where some might get annoyed at the lack of a dresser or shelving for folded clothes etc, but we just put all our things together and adjusted. Its not that big a deal. We had a garden superior room with jacuzzi in building 17. Its a bit of a walk from the lobby and buffet, but very close to the third pool, so it worked out. Some people have complained about the beds, but we found them very comfortable, they are firm thats all. Also the room temp was fine for us, we had the fan on as well and were perfectly comfortable. We loved having a jacuzzi to sit in and relax at the end of the day, but the bugs were crazy, after the first night we made sure to have Off on our shoulders an ears.

The hotel not being beachfront was not an issue for us. The everpresent trams were fast an easy. I dont think we waited longer than five minutes, except one evening when it was raining out, it was like a ten minute wait. I think those complaining lose track of time because it is so hot. You do need to get to the beach early though to grab a lounge with an umbrella. Arriving btwn ten and 11:30 am to the beach it was difficult to find a spot, but one always opened up. If you arrive after 1pm there are plenty of places to lounge because some of the early morning sun worshippers have gone in to eat or rest. The water is warm and perfect. The whales are unsightly, but keeps the water nice and calm. There is an exclusive beach bar for Sian Kaan, i witnessed someone from the sister hotel being told she could order drinks elsewhere. There are two very nice women who will take orders for drinks, but since there are so many people there it does take a while for them to return. We would order and get drinks ourselves, depending on the line.Bring lots of sunblock, its super sunny.

We ate at the Buffet Yal Ku at Sian Kann for breakfast everyday, the food was well done and freshly prepared. There are plenty of choices. On the first morning our waitor was Foustino and Ana and we went back to his section for the rest of our trip because he was so helpfull and geat. We asked him for an iced coffee our first morning and he whipped up frappes with tequila in them, It was Amazing, and he remembered every day after that when we were almost done with our food a frappe appeared. We tried out the Buffet at Talum and Coba also for lunch, they had alot of variety and were good, but Yal Ku was the best.
For the a la cartes We ate at Alux, it was very good with amazing staff, no complaints at all. At Talum we had Don Pablo, it was one of our favorite meal, definately ask for the spanish coffee with your dessert. At Coba there are a number of restaurants to choose from, Portofino is nice, nothing really special, great service. Mikado is hibachi, again nice, good food excellent service, but nothing special. Le Gourmet was very good, again with great service.

We would definately stay at Sian Kaan again, the staff are friendly, helpfull and professional, the rooms are comfortable and the grounds impeccable. Having the exclusive use of Talum, Coba and Akumel is a great compensation for not being on the beach. And being an adults only resort we were able to read and relax without alot of commotion. Love this place.

Room Tip: We had unit 17, its super private but on the other end of the resort. It doest get as sunny as other...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lynbello
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Lyn,

It is so great to hear from you again, it was our pleasure to be at your service. On behalf of the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an team, I would like to show you our appreciation for such a nice review about your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to hear that you had an easy and quick check-in, that you enjoyed the room upgraded, tram service, beach, food and the a la carte restaurants. The most important for us is that you have experienced the excellent service of our staff.

It will be a real pleasure to welcome you again during your next vacation to the Caribbean.

Kind Regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!