“Excellent food for an all inclusive!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent food for an all inclusive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The food was excellent for an all inclusive, the service exceptional, very clean & tons to do! There was a shuttle to the beach every 2-3 minutes. I would highly recommend it to all adults ( no kids allowed )

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Kanayea
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Kanayea,

On behalf of the entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’anteam I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review regarding your excellent experience at our hotel.

For us it is very rewarding to read that you had a great vacation in which you enjoyed the suttle service, the excellent food and the exceptional service

It will be wonderful to welcome you again and give you the good service you already know.

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,700)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Okay, major pros and a few specific cons here.
Pros:
- Probably consistently the best food I've ever had on vacation. As a vegetarian, I never went hungry. Pretty much everything I tried was delicious, and no tummy trouble (apart from drinking/hydration/sun issues). My parents are foodies and they raved about the food at this, their first all-inclusive. Restaurants we tried: Maiko @ SK (good but none of us are crazy about Japanese), Alux @ SK (everyone raved about the prawns & beef medallion), Portofino @ Coba (good vegetarian options), LeGourmet @ Coba (service was weaker this night, food was pretty good), Tequila @ Tulum (my personal favourite; great food, fun, tons of vegetarian options), & we missed our last reservation at Don Pablo @ Tulum (more on that later). Thanks to Claudia for arranging all (& parents’ tee time) exactly as requested before we even arrived.
- Spacious, clean room; robes & slippers; rooftop jacuzzi; quality linens/towels always restocked; minibar replenished everyday. Could really use more dressers/drawers but it works.
- Drink selection at SK bars was quite admirable. Unlimited flaming coffee in the evenings - must try.
- Shuttles were efficient and enjoyable. The drivers were friendly, helpful, & clear. I thought I would HATE being away from the beach and this mega-resort style, but I found the shuttles efficient, fun, & relaxing. It was fun to explore the different resorts and try something new everyday.
- The beach was gorgeous. Yes, there are huge sand “whales” all along the beach, but I thought they did not ruin the view, they were fun to play on, and they made the water far safer. Worth it. The pools at all four resorts are incredible.
- We used the SK section of the beach. Waiter services was slow or nonexistent b/c we were on the outskirts but who cares, there was never a long wait at the bar and it was like a 1 minute walk.
- SK is adults-only. ‘Nuf said.
- 24 hour room service available – we never used it though
- The Disco at the Hacienda was really fun!
- Watching the dolphin show (a few times daily right near the SK beach section) was free & fun – but makes you sad given their small living arrangements.
- Staff: a few standouts:
- MIRIAM at breakfast/lunch buffet - what a sweetheart, amazing service, remembered our group of six's drink orders & kept them coming; patiently helped me with my Spanish; she works crazy hard always with a smile)
- Miguel #1 at beach buffet/snack bar at Tulum - had lots of laughs & great service; Miguel #2 at Tequila restaurant - endless drinks & smiles; Candalerio (spelling?) - porter/bellboy at Sian Kaan; Carlos at Lobby Bar; many many more whose names I didn't record & should have (the waitresses & flaming coffee makers at SK in the evenings; Akumal lunch buffet staff; Tulum dinner buffet staff; shuttle drivers).

To me, this is not quite a “6 star” luxury experience:
1. No turn-down service.
2. Front desk staff generally were quite inefficient. There was always a lengthy wait even to ask a quick question and then it was rarely addressed/resolved. Calling by phone resulted in many occasions on either no answer at all or a request that was promised and then never happened (e.g., as simple as restocking in-room coffee supplies).
3. Service at breakfast was terrible on the few days when we were not in Miriam’s section. No drinks, even water/coffee/tea, until we got up to serve ourselves (which is not easy to do because the restaurant isn’t set up for self-service), and forget any special requests.
4. It was nearly impossible to track down the activities. I asked probably 5 times about copies of activity schedules so I could plan to be in the right place at the right time, but never got anywhere. I tried one of the pools at Coba, Akumal, Tulum, & SK on different days, but never was there at the right time to catch any activities. I enjoy participating but it was pretty darn difficult to do here – please Bahia Principe – make it clear & easy for your guests to know what is happening when & where! This was probably my biggest disappointment of the trip. I felt like we missed out on getting to know more of the staff & making more memories.
5. Sian Ka’an is in a jungle setting. So, there are bugs (flying & crawling), lizards, birds, iguanas, spiders, and so on. Be prepared (but know that they don’t actually bother you). I was not a huge fan of walking to/from room at night, due to being a big baby rather than any actual problems. But, the last night, a ~5” lizard did decide to hang out in our room. When I finally got through to the front desk, they did send a nice young man, who did his best but we couldn’t find it. We decided to sleep with the lights on. No problems.
6. There is absolutely nothing going on at SK after 11:00pm. Lame! I get that it is supposed to be a relaxing property, but I think keeping the lobby bar open until at least midnight would be reasonable!
7. Beach party – one morning, we were told by the entertainment staff about the “beach party at Akumal” that evening. Cool, we’ll skip our last dinner reservation & check it out. Expected: beach buffet, music, DJ, dancing, maybe a fire show. Hmm, arrive, no beach party. Other guests were looking for it too so we know we weren’t the only ones. Asked a staff member, he directed us to Tulum. Shuttled to Tulum. Hmmm, no beach party. Did find a party (well, music) at the “Akumal Bar” at Tulum resort. But no food or anything. Now, we couldn’t attend our dinner reservation because two men in our group were wearing shorts & sandals for the “beach party”. Oh well, buffet it is. No huge deal but just confusing and rather disappointing – we have really enjoyed beach parties at other resorts & wanted our group’s newbies to experience it.

Excursions:
1. We did Xel-Ha through our tour operator – ask for a discount. They want your business. It was a long, but very fun day. Loved the freedom of exploring the park by ourselves, no pressure, no rush, open bar, no what you want when you want and as many times as you want – highly recommend!
2. Akumal Beach – took taxi there and Colectivo back – just take the Colectivo. It’s $2 U.S. per person, safe, A/C, easy. Bring or rent snorkel gear – tons of sea turtles in the sea, just make sure to go far enough out. We swam with them on our own for an hour, no tour. Lots of shopping available. Beach chairs cost $12 each to rent.
3. “free” golf at SK costs about $200 for two people – with mandatory cart rental & club rental. Just an fyi. Go after 1:00pm to save $.

Would I return to Bahia Principe? For sure. Would I stay at Sian Kaan? Only if the price was right. Or we were going with my parents again – for the upgraded drinks, food, dinner reservations, etc.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank CanTravel182
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your honest and detailed review about your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We appreciate your comments and we are glad that you had enjoyed the excellent food, a la carte dinners, room facilities and the service of our staff, specially thank your for mentioning Claudia, Miriam, Miguel, Cadelario and Carlos. We will forward to all of them your comments.

Thank you as well for mentioning the points in which we can improve; I already forward your comments to all the managers so we can offer better experience to our future guests.

Warm Regards,

Massillon, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We chose the Sian Kaan because of the huge majority of positive reviews on Trip Advisor.
We were not disappointed. We traveled the first week of November. The resort seemed
empty at the beginning but seemed very busy the last three days. I am a big fan of the all-inclusive and this was the best because of the food and the top shelf booze. I do not want
to repeat all the positive reviews but will confirm that most are true.
Positives
1. Buffet food is great, service at ala carte restaurants is also very good.
2. Room was nice, bed comfy, maid service spot on, frig refilled daily
3. Beach was nice (a few rocks), no problem with chairs because if it sat empty for 30
minutes I took it. Decent snorkeling if water is calm, take some bread or a banana.
4. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a ride on a tram.
5. took bug spray but never used it

The negatives are minimal
1. Pools are small and quiet, I like music and action. We spent most of the time at beach but
used the big pools at the other resorts.
2. I do not like the desserts. This is true for every Mexican resort I have visited. They do
not taste sweet. Actually a positive because I should skip dessert.
3. Only one type of beer but I drank Jack Daniels and coke all week. The XX beer is not
bad.
4. It was 90 minutes from the Airport but we got a case of cold beer with the other two
couples we met on the transfer van and had a great time.

The golf course was world class. $100 each for cart and clubs. The drink and snack cart came
around every three holes. My only true negative was my rental set was short a club. If I had
not checked before teeing off I know they would have charged me for the club. The cart guy made such a point about 14 clubs in each bag I cannot stop thinking that he was setting me up for a scam. There is also a 9 hole par 3 course. 9 challenging holes with sand and water. $65
Play early, it gets hot. We played at 6:30 and were done in time for breakfast.

We were always too tired to catch the evening entertainment. One night we went to
Coba to watch a audience participation called the "Perfect Couple". It was funny but
after the show we saw the perfect couple winners having a nasty fight, really funny.

We took the collectivo into Playa for a fun evening. The collectivo is cheap and safe.

I understand that everyone has different viewpoints and bad experiences but we had
a first class vacation at Sian Kaan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GolferMassillon
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an, we feel very proud to read that you had a first class vacation at our hotel, your comments encourage us to offer the best service that our guests deserve.

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your good comments about your recent stay with us; hopefully we have another opportunity to welcome you back,

Greetings from the Riviera Maya,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I seriously did not have very high expectations and had chosen this resort because of the price and the access to golf. At first, I did not realize that booking through Expedia did not provide me with airport transfers, so make sure you check this out. Fortunately, Expedia is affiliated with Best Day tour operators and the extra cost for return semi-private transport for two was $54, no big deal you just have to book it.

Upon arrival, we had requested an upgraded room but the hotel was full and as we do not live in the room, we were OK with that. The rooms are average sized, a little small but adequate. There is however a lack of storage space (drawers, etc) to put your stuff in and if you are staying more than a week, it can be a little annoying with clothes all over the place. The other thing that could be improved upon is offering pillow tops for the bed as they were on the hard side and we did not get very restful nights as a result.

Next improvement I would recommend is more efficient ventilation in the bathroom and better lighting. It was a little dark for shaving and make-up. Last but not least, no full length mirrors which is annoying when you get all decked out for dinner and you can't see if you are put together correctly.

That is it for my complaints. As for the rest, a true 5 star in every sense. Cleanliness which is a pet peeve of mine was above and beyond expectations, even washing down staircases with a bleach solution which was a little strong. Food was spectacular. I dare anyone not to find something they like in that buffet. Most nights featured king shrimps. Some evenings they had caviar, roast beef which was up there with the best I have had and I even asked for smoked salmon one night and they brought me out a plateful from the kitchen. They could not do enough. Their à la carte restaurant which I believe is called Alux is booked weeks ahead. So I suggest you reserve ahead of time even when you book your trip. This restaurant was as good as some of our top restaurants in Montreal. As a former restaurant reviewer, you can take this to the bank. The restaurants on the other properties were fair to awful. I had a respectable risotto in Tulum (I believe it was Don Pedro). Otherwise, we stuck to the buffet. The service was always top notch and the staff got to know your preferences and often had your drinks in front of you before you sat down.

We had one bad experience with a waiter during lunchtime and in the afternoon, we heard a knock at the door with a member of room service delivering Cava and chocolate covered strawberries as an apology for the incident. Very classy!

I can not say enough good things about this hotel and we plan to go back. I hope the next time we will have civilized neighbours that don't bang the doors in the night or early in the morning. Some people can be so rude and inconsiderate of others. Thus the dark circles under our eyes. I want to mention for those worried about not being close to the beach, the transportation is great, a short ride and regular service. Kind of fun being in the jungle environment! Last but not least, I work out everyday and really liked the gym in the Coba. Big with decent equipment and split rooms between cardio and weight training. Go for a massage on the beach, heavenly. AC also was very efficient.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Top floors I think are best
2 Thank shawnmontreal
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay at Luxury Bahía Principe Sian Ka’an. As a customer satisfaction orientated company, it is always a pleasure to read constructive comments as the ones you have kindly sent.

We really appreciate you mentioning the service of our staff and are happy to hear that you enjoyed the amazing food, the shuttle service and the gym facilities at Coba.

Also thank you for the suggestions concerning the lack of storage space, the ventilation in the bathroom and lighting they will be taken in great consideration to ensure we keep providing our guests with the attention and services they deserve.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and we are looking forward in welcoming you back again at Luxury Bahía Principe Sian Ka’an.

Best regards from the Mexican Caribbean,

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Although it was very nice to come back to the BP Sian Kaan where it was soothing and so quiet after the beach, we probably will not return, We decided that being on the beach is where we like to vacation best. They say that the trams to the beach run frequently we waited on many occasions going to and coming back. Waited for 40 minutes one rainy night to get back after dinner. The good: the food the cleanliness of the restaurants and our room. Erika was a big help in changing our room even though it took 3 days of waiting she worked hard for us. A negative was some of the front desk staff not being very accommodating. For example each room is suppose to have an umbrella ours did not and it was raining super hard. The staff told us that there were none available but I watched as a return guest go right up and get one from the same person that told me no. Erica to he rescue she miraculously found one for us! The weather was unsettled different than on previous visits but we still managed to enjoy our vacation. One hi light was cabbing it to Akumal beach and snorkeling with the turtles.

Room Tip: Try to get at least a sup suite the junior suites are very small.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Susan,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for your vacations and also for taking time to write about your experience.

We are happy to know that you had a nice and relaxing time and that you mentioned Erika’s assistance and we want to apologize for the service of our front desk staff. I would like to inform you that I have passed your comments to the Front Desk Manager in order to improve our service.

We are sorry to hear that you probably not return because of the fact that we are not by the beach, however I invite you to visit any of our sister hotels for your future vacation; I am sure you will have a pleasant stay close to the beach.

Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were a group of golfers and booked here because of the first rate course.
The transfer from airport to hotel was abit long but all the rooms were ready on arrival. We were greeted with cold drinks and taken to our rooms quickly.
I was disappointed in the room. We had booked just the regular room not one of the two suites available. They are described as being modern and spacious. Well the room was more bare and small. The windows have 2 sets of roller blinds, one for privacy and one room darkening. Well some were roller backwards some off center and the ends were fraid and torn. By the third day I was sick of fighting with them (getting the right cord for the proper blind) I just give in and left them up.
We were just two people in the room but found it very cramp. You could not have 3 people in these rooms, even with the small pull out couch..there was no where to store 2 two suit cases, golf bag and hard side golf club case. The closet was very small with only a few hangers for our clothes ( we always bring extra).No place for shoes on the floor because the closet also stores the ironing board. There are no dressers just two bed side tables..also a full length mirror would be nice.. I also found the there was no where to hang a damp bathing suits. We had no sun on the small balcony so we used our hangers and the hung them from the shower glass..but the room was very clean and we had fresh linens everyday and the bar fridge refilled.
We have stayed at many all inclusives but we have never had food as good as here..alway hot and fresh, though we did find most of the food from the al la cartes could be found on the main buffet so if you can get into the al la cartes just check out the buffet...
We enjoyed the lobby bar entertainment in the evenings. The drinks were refilled without waiting. the trolley to the beautiful beach is not a big deal..we went everyday and never had to wait but did have a few times we couldnt find a lounger in the Sian Kaan section even at 9 in the morning. The wait staff here is top notch.
The pool areas are very quiet..abit too quiet. There was a group of "adults" that checked in the day before we left and Ive been with kids better behaved than these people..
The grounds are gorgious and the walk from our room to the lobby was enjoyable...even in the rain...
Take bug spray and use it...use lots of it in the evenings ....always bring enough sun screen and extras because its expensive here...but all in all...What a great vacation!

Room Tip: We would go back but now we know what the room is like maybe getting a larger one or travel lighter...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kitten50
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for your vacation destination.

On behalf of our entire staff it was a pleasure, and we value the opportunity to serve you. We are pleased that you were very satisfied with the food, entertainment, shuttle service and the service of our staff.

We are sorry that the room facilities were not up to your expectations. We assure you the same has been communicated to the concerned and necessary action have been taken to ensure we keep providing our guests with the attention and services they deserve.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Kindest regards,

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We just returned from 5 nights at Sian Kaan. My husband and I have traveled to the Riveria before, but normally during the low (summer) season. With that in mind:

Room:
Clean, modern, spacious. The bathroom was a bit small, as we're used to double vanities, and a bigger shower. The linens were clean, ample and restocked every day. When we checked in one light was out in the bathroom, and the shower head would not lock in place. We reported both of these on our way to the beach the second day, and both were fixed when we returned.

Food:
We're foodies, and choose this hotel due to the reviews that claimed better than average food all around. Trust the reviews, the food here is better than other all inclusives we have been to in the area. The buffet was good for all three meals, plenty of options and rotating selections. The snack bar was quick, clean, and good options for something by the pool or late at night. We ate at both Makio and Alux. As it should be, the fish and sushi was fresh and tasty, the miso soup and main courses were very good. I would not eat at Alux again, the food was average at best. Mushroom soup was the only notable item we had. However, our late night snack was great.

Drinks:
At the lobby barn, and snack bar (back corner) were above average with a very good selection. You do have to ask for specific liquors, but not a biggie. Selection at the beach and pool bar were not quite as good, but always served with a smile.

Beach:
There were no where close to enough chairs at the exclusive beach area, and towels were limited. Yes, the hotel was 100% booked, yes, people go down before breakfast and save the best sports. To make it worse, these people don't make it back to the beach until 10ish, and then leave for lunch (2hrs), just to vacate their chairs at 4pm. That was more than annoying. Since the hotel is not located on the beach, I expected far better from the exclusive area. Again, we usually travel in the low season, and never have a problem finding chairs or towels.

The beach itself was okay. Water was only 4' deep, max. The sand wales prevent the waves and deeper water from coming in. Okay, but not exactly what we're used to at other resorts.

Pool:
The water was cold. Great for a refreshing dip, but not for hanging out and enjoying a drink. We finally got chairs on our third day. There were plenty of chairs that had towels, used or fresh, that we never saw people use ..... again, at other resorts staff would come through every hour and clean out those not being used. Sian Kaan could benefit from this practice. Towels were impossible to find after 2pm. Check at the desk in the main lobby, sometimes they had some.

Tip: if your room is a bit warm, stop the ceiling fan, and change the direction of the blades by moving the small switch on the body.

Internet was never a problem for us.

Overall, we would likely return, but not during peak season.

Room Tip: Buildings 14-16 are in the back behind the pools. Nice and quite, I guess a longer walk if you'r...
3 Thank MMSATX
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and for choosing us to enjoy your vacations. We appreciate the detailed feedback of your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We are happy that you have mentioned that you enjoyed your room, food, beach, a la carte restaurants, drinks, and the buffet.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the pools temperature, the lack of towels and the availability of chairs at our private beach. We really appreciate your comments and suggestions and rest assured that proper action has been taken to improve this situation.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back for your next holidays,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,405 reviews

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!