“Relaxing, refreshing resort!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I had an excellent stay at Sian Kaan and can't wait to go back in the future. We don't have children yet...so were looking for an adults-only resort. Sian Kaan was the best of both worlds. We were around adults when we wanted to be...and during the day we could visit any other Principe resort and see families enjoying vacation.

Customer service was professional and they were very quick to meet our needs. We asked for more towels..and they were at our door within minutes. We asked the cleaning lady for more sodas...she stocked our fridge the next day.

The private beach with waitress service was my favorite part of choosing Sian Kaan over the other hotels. You really can't beat the beach location or the service.

The buffet was delicious and varied daily. I was eager to try the sit-down restaurants but really wasn't blown away by any of them. I will say, however, that we live in a major city and would consider ourselves "foodies." The Japanese restaurant, Maiko, was our favorite of the 5 sit-downs we went to.

The shuttle comes around often and we actually enjoyed our ride to the beach or other Bahia Principe resorts. We checked out 2 shows at night at other hotels..and thought they were cheesy. But, Sian Kaan had music (and dancing) at night---which was more enjoyable for us.

There were many daily actives to choose from. While on the beach you could get involved in games or choose to pass. We played a few and had a good time. Met people from all over the world while doing so! I liked having that option. One day it rained non-stop. The staff at Sian Kaan kept everyone very busy in the lobby. We played Spanish bingo and trivia. They also kept the drinks coming...certainly made the afternoon more enjoyable :)

Overall I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. Akumal was beautiful and the hotel provided everything we were looking for in a beach vacation.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Marla S
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Marla,

First of all thank you for trusting Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays at the Mayan Riviera.

We appreciate so much that you have taken the time to write your positive commentsconcerning your recent stay at our hotel facilities. Our guest’s comments are vital for us to continue improving our services, and will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our customer service, our private beach, the buffet, Maiko restaurant and the shuttle service.

It will be an honor to welcome you back for your next holidays,

Kind Regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (7,723)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My Husband and I Just returned from the Sian Ka'an Bahia Principe on December 31st, after a 7 night stay. We have absolutely nothing negative to say about this hotel. Like any large chain complex it can present challenges which can turn into complaints instead like, To get to the beach you have to take one of the many trolleys that take you there, The Ka"an is a quieter facility for adults only, We read the site we knew what to expect and it was exactly what we wanted.There is a reserved area on the beach for Ka'an resident's only but we suggest you get down early to get a good spot, one with some shade. The grounds of the complex are immaculate, the staff super friendly especially Luis in the main buffet dining room section 4, Such a fine young gentleman, Whom uses the skills he learned in hospitality everyday!!. We book our getaways with perx, which is an interline travel site, whom inturn uses "Best Day" for tour exchanges, A Huge, huge Shout-out to Priscila Encisco of Best Day, She is a professional aswell, taking her job very seriously in every way shape and form, She even came to say good bye to us before we left.
If it's an adults only resort you desire, and won't pout at taking a trolley to the beach then we strongly recommend the Siaan Ka'an, If available to us in April we might just return again without a second guess. Hope you Love it Too

Sincerley Kelly And Alasdair
Toronto, Ontario

Room Tip: If you choose a suite with roof top patio there is no cover it is open concept, but wonderful, We ha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kallkann

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to share your experience during your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and very happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff, the clean and safe property, our private beach, the buffet, the tram service and the service of Luis.

We hope you visit us again in April; greetings from the paradise,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I booked this resort because of the comments on Trip Advisor. We really enjoyed our stay and the staff is wonderful. It is a resort that you grow to appreciate day by day. At first I thought the pools were small but grew to love them and the peace and quiet. My husband was able to walk out of our room across the street to the golf course which he loved and played 7 times. Food was really terrific. If you can, upgrade to a junior suite with hot tub - really spacious +your own garden too. Yes, the beach was very busy but if patient eventually chairs came available - also time of the year. Met so many people from all over the world. Did not find the Akumal, Tulum or Coba to be our flavour as too many kids. Value for money it is exceptional. Erica at front desk was amazing and Miguel the food and beverage manager made our stay so lovely. He is a real asset to the resort. Seek him out and say hello. After reading so many reviews I thought I would make some suggestions to help you with your holiday. Ground floor basic units were not my favorite. Try to get 2nd or 3rd floor. Jacuzzi suite really spacious. Get to the beach in the early morning or after 1 pm. Top picks for a la carte are ones at Sian Kaan and Don Pablo/Arlequin (very slow service though). Never tried room service. Several sweet kitties at the resort who love to be fed and petted. Resort ensures they are taken care of medically as well. Take the collectivo to Playa and pick it up from the hacienda - super cheap at 35 pesos per direction. Spa is way too expensive at $115 for a massage - always quiet so they need to work on their pricing especially when you know what the staff is being paid! Service around the pools was not that great - I should not have to get up to get my own drink but at the beach it was excellent. The shows at night were fun but please play some more traditional Mexican/Spanish music vs. Celine Dion. Room cleaning was well done and suggest a small tip to these hardworking folks. Can you clean 12 rooms in 35 degree heat? Yes, bring bug spray and "after bite". People seemed to make an effort to dress nicely at night but the long pants for restaurants is tiring - why not just dress shorts when you count jeans as long pants. Its hot - really hot and dressy shorts would be so appreciated by the men. Made us opt out of several a la carte reservations during our second week. Cant explain it, but the resort has a calming quality to it and lots to explore. Hit the sports complex at the hacienda and get a free bike for an hour to tour around. Suggest you bring a small umbrella too as the resort ran out when we were there. We are in our early 40's and brought our parents (mid sixties and early 80's) who share our review of the resort. Please more chocolate at the buffet and less deserts with cream. Gained 10 lbs if that says anything about the food. Spanish night at the buffet was excellent. We would definitely return and have to say this resort changed my mind about all inclusive - cant beat the value. Thank you to all the incredible staff who worked so hard to please us and would visit with us every day. You made us feel welcome and at home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Susannejed

Dear Susanne,

Thank you for have chosen Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an as your hotel destination on your first trip to the Riviera Maya, we feel honored.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the food, the pools and that your husband enjoyed the golf course. We would like to thank you for mentioning that our staff made you feel welcome and at home; specially Erika and Miguel.

We are sorry that the beach facilities and the service around the pools did not meet your expectations; your comments will be forward to our management in order to improve our services.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our second visit to this resort, I am still happy with the overall service and quality of the resort.
If you are a first timer using TA I highly recommend going to the green menu bar at the top, select the “MORE” drop down tap and open the “TRAVEL FORUM” for researching the area. I spent a lot time researching and found RobS56 is the resort expert and has done a very professional job with the information he has been posting for years. After reading his posts I was very familiar with resort even though I had never there, thanks Rob you are great.
We golf and the level of service from the staff at the Pro shop, restaurant and bar is excellent, they are some of the best hosts I have ever dealt with, they treat you like royalty. Thank you all! The course is challenging, “CLUB DOWN” or you will lose a lot of balls. The furry friendly little creatures will steal anything not tied down when you get out of the cart and go to the green to putt including purses, wallets, phones. They are not picky so beware. You can see them watching you from the jungle.
The resort restaurants have excellent food quality and variety, it seems that when seated next to a wall the Air Conditioning does not reach you and it gets hot. Don’t forget to make your reservation in advance.
I am disappointed with the service I received from the front desk. We were to get an upgraded room via our Expedia Elite Plus membership which was stated on our voucher and when checking in the front desk person was Norman, he said we have been assigned our room already and it was not the upgraded room and he could not change it, this room was on the 2nd floor building 3 looking directly into the electrical substation for the resort, I am a electrical contractor and this was the worst place they could have put me, I asked to speak with Claudia and said she no longer work there.
I came back the next morning to see if I could get us moved and Norman was at the desk, I asked Norman if we could be moved, he said no and that there were no rooms available. My wife went over to the desk just to the right of the front desk and talked to one of the ladies working that desk, she then went over to the office behind the front desk and spoke to someone, a lady then came over to me and my wife and showed us a map of the resort and we picked our building and were moved the following morning to building 8 garden room,. Just when we were about to leave Claudia came from the back office. I was not very upset until I saw her. I did not make a big deal of this but was very unhappy with Norman. Our friend stayed in building 4 and were asked if they wanted to move from the second floor a Garden suite, they decided. Another disappointment is it seems that Absolute Vodka has become a premium, not sure if this still the situation or the resort had just ran low during our stay, but my wife ordered an Absolute and Tonic and was told it was a premium drink, we found this strange as we don't consider absolute a premium vodka and it seemed to be a well vodka during our first visit.
Our first time we stayed in the quiet area building 33 and loved it, the rooms are considerably smaller yet very comfortable.
The beach is below average for the area, the very large sand bags known as whales keep the beach from eroding and also trap debris which causes the water to become cloudy. The service from the beach staff is excellent, I don’t normally drink Mojitos but theirs are very refreshing, not to sweet or strong, just good!
If you want a more lively night life go to the Hacienda, there they have quite a few bars and a live band which plays a variety of music. A large dance floor/area, very fun!
We stayed 10 days our first time and did not see the entire resort. The pools at Sian Kaan are very quite, one day my wife and I decided to go hangout at the Coba resort pool, we met a lot of people at the swim up bar and had a great time. I think what we enjoy most about this resort is being able to go to a real party atmosphere and when partied out go back to the Sian Kaan to chileout and relax. We have stayed in other resorts in the area and all of them have their good and bad points, it is just a matter of preference as to your priorities.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steven B

Dear Steven,

Fist of all we would like to thank you for your trust and for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for the second time to enjoy your vacations.

It is an honor for all our team to read that you enjoyed not only the service and quality of our resort but the golf course too. We are glad that you mentioned the quality and variety of food at our hotel.

We are sorry to learn about your dissapoinment with the front desk service, rest assure that your comments have been forwarded to the Front Desk Manager in order to take the necessary measures to improve the service provided.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon at our resort.

Receive our warm regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband, two friends and I stayed at the Sian Ka'an from December 16 through December 30th 2013. Almost everything was perfect :)
Fantastic quiet atmosphere, good food with plenty of restaurants to choose from, pleasant and helpful staff.
The first week there was always a staff member around us so we didn't managed to miss anything.
The second week the service level was slightly reduced. We asked around and understood that employees on vacation and a fully booked hotel was to blame.
We had a penthouse with jacuzzi on the roof.
The apartment was spacious and nice and the cleaning was good.
From the hotel lobby there is regulary a train to the beach with a separate area for this hotel.

Summarized a lovely stay we certainly can recommend others. Would love to get back in the future!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elin S

Dear Elin,

On behalf of the entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays.

We appreciate you have taken the time to write some comments about your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, good food, the a la carte restaurant and the service of our pleasant and helpful staff.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Best regards from the Mexico,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

My husband and I came to Grand Bahia Principe (Coba) on our honeymoon and loved it so much we came back 3 years later (June 2013). We were given a free upgrade to the Adults Only Sian Kaan complex and it was amazing. We were a bit reluctant at first as we had loved the Coba complex so much, but were really pleased we chose to accept the upgrade. You always get a drink on arrival, always greeted with a happy member of staff.
Sian Kaan is all about luxury.
Drink - In Sian Kaan there is always Champagne flowing (all included in the all inclusive). Champagne at breakfast, great cocktails at the pool bars and reception bar. Best drink after dinner at the indoor bars is the "almondo tostardo" - if you like baileys on ice you'll love this.
Food - you will never go hungry. The buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner has something for everyone. Food is amazing. We've been twice and have never felt ill. Staff will tailor food to your desire - e.g. poached eggs, runny eggs, hard boiled eggs, omelettes etc etc. In fact there is too much choice!!!
The surroundings of all the complexes (there's 4 Sian Kaan, Coba, Tulum & Akumal) are beautiful. And the little carts that take you round all the complexes show you the scenery around all the hotels. Even though you will be staying at the Sian Kaan you can use all the other complexes pools, restaurants and bars.
Evening entertainment is good for both adults and kids. You just need to check out what show you want to see at which complex.
Night time - Of course there's mosquitos, you cant get away with that. Just cake yourself in repellent every night. They are worse in Sian Kaan compared to the other 3 hotels as the hotel is set back in the "jungle" a bit more. The other 3 hotels are nearer the beach.
Overall I would go back for a 3rd time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank frances k

Dear Frances,

First of all thank you for your loyalty in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us once again to enjoy your holidays

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

It is for guests like you who send us some nice words after their holiday, that our staff finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, hope we can repeat this wonderful experience in the near future.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back at the Riviera Maya!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband & I visited Sian Ka'an in November for 8 days. After reading some negative comments here on Trip Advisor, I was a little concerned. We first stayed here in January 2012 and absolutely LOVED the property, its offerings and the staff. I agree, there have been some changes but nothing that would deter us from going back. The food is still outstanding and the drinks are fantastic - it is true that some selections are no longer free however, there is still quality alcoholic choices. They have really stepped up their onsite entertainment and we thoroughly enjoyed the quality talent. Housekeeping did a phenomenal job of taking care of us. On several occasions we had wine, champagne, fruit & sweet plates delivered to our room. The bell staff are our favourites - always going out of their ways to help. The Spa was terrific and we loved our couples massage. It was so nice to come back to our quiet little resort after spending time at any of the other three resorts. In my opinion, it is the STAFF that differientiates this property from the other resorts. I cannot even begin to describe how AMAZING everyone is at this property. Probably THE reason we wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else. We just LOVE the staff and hated to say goodbye. A big shout out to these shining stars - Candelario (our Candy Man), Alonzo, Esau, Oscar, Faustido (I'm sure I spelled this wrong - works in Yal-ku), Erika and Norman. I wish I had taken the time to write down everyones' names as they all deserve to be recognized. We cannot wait to go back!!! Once again, well done Sian Ka'an!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robyn E

Dear Robyn,

We really appreciate that you have taken the time to send some valuable comments about your stay at the Luxury Bahía Principe Sian Ka’an.

Our team is glad to read that you had another amazing holiday in which you enjoyed the food, the entertainment, housekeeping work, the spa, and the service of our staff, specially the bell staff. We really appreciate you mentioning our staff, specially Candelario, Alonzo, Esau, Oscar, Faustinio, Erika and Norman. They are great ambassadors of the service in the Sian Ka´an Hotel, we will immediately forward your post to the correspondent managers for their well-deserved recognition

Kindest regards from Mexico,