My partner and I stayed here from June 10 to 17, 2014. This was our first all-inclusive vacation and our first time "down South". We absolutely loved our vacation at Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan!! We can't imagine how any other resort could be better than this place. It's not a mystery why the reviews on TripAdvisor are overwhelmingly positive. We had three main criteria we were looking for: delicious food, beautiful beach and the possibility of off-resort adventures.
The food at the Sian Ka'an buffet is amazingly delicious! For the first 2-3 days, we couldn't get over how good everything was in the buffet. There is a wide selection of foods from various cultures. Most of the desserts weren't that fantastic though (i.e. "fake" cheese cake), but we rarely wanted dessert anyway. The two à la carte restaurants at Sian Kaan are astounding (Alux and Maiko)! Maiko (Japanese) was our favourite - we couldn't resist going twice (delicious sea food curry, appetizers and mouth-watering ice cream tempura). Having unlimited à la carte reservations is a wonderful bonus of Sian Kaan as the buffet does get a bit repetitive after eating there daily. It's also possible to eat at the other 3 resorts (buffets and restaurants) so that's another incentive. We believe the best buffet is at Sian Kaan.
The beach is beautiful. White sand, turquoise water. The beach is also very clean. Sian Kaan members have a private beach with umbrellas and chairs as well as bar service. The resort is not located on the beach. Sian Kaan is about a 5-10 minute (free) trolley ride to the Sian Kaan beach. We enjoyed the trolley ride (a lovely breeze for the hot days). You can also rent jet skis, go parasailing or scuba diving but these are slightly expensive.
Bahia Principe is not located within a city or village. It is kind of isolated (which is not necessarily a bad thing). It is easy to get around with the Collectivo which is the public transit (large vans) for only 3-4$ each way. We went to see the Tulum ruins (10 min ride) which were amazing and we went to Playa Del Carmen (35 min). We also did an ATV Tour and went snorkeling with sea turtles in Akumal (10 min - you can go by collectivo for a lot less), swam in a cenote and rode ATVs in the jungle. We would recommend going to Tulum, Akumal beach and Playa del Carmen (if you want to see a bigger city with shopping).
Clean and spacious, stocked mini-bar, very nice bathroom. We had a junior suite. No complaints.
Bahia Principe has a variety of shows which start around 9PM each night. Most were very good and quite entertaining. Our favourites were (in order of preference) AcroDance, Mini MJ Show and Circus Show. During the day they also have lots of events (pool volley ball, water polo, water aerobics, etc.) at the beach and on the resort. It's a great way to meet people. The entertainment crew is good at what they do. In terms of night life, there isn't much. Sian Kaan is not the party resort. Lots of couples and older guests. Everything is pretty much over by 10-11pm. The discoteque at the resort's Hacienda complex was excellent on the Friday night. We went to the Gran Fiesta Mexicana which was $15 usd each. It was fun but I don't think it was worth the $15. The fiesta did get rained out so maybe it would've been better if it had lasted longer.
The service was mostly excellent. Staff were very nice, attentive and helpful. The only place which had mediocre service (and food) was the Cenote Snack Bar. We would like to acknowledge Demetrio at the buffet who was always cheery and attentive, Carlos at the main bar who was very friendly and quick to prepare delicious drinks, Diego at the reception desk who was very helpful, friendly and always in a good mood, and Javier with BD Tours (Air Canada Vacations) who was very resourceful and helpful.
We wanted to acknowledge the fact that we felt very safe on the resort complex and never felt uncomfortable.
We will definitely be returning to Gran Bahia Principe in the future! This place is a Mexican paradise! We believe Sian Kaan is the best option of the 4 resorts because of the perks of being in the luxury section (unlimited restaurants, access to everything, private beach, better service on the resort, etc.). For those wondering about the other resorts, we would rank them as follows after Sian Kaan: 1) Akumal, 2) Coba, 3) Tulum. You can't go wrong with Bahia Principe, trust us!
Enjoy your vacation! Bring your bug spray (we never thought of that)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi (free of charge) Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal