When we were looking at the reviews of the Sian Kaan, prior to us booking, I thought people were moaning about the little things, just for the sake of moaning - however the good points far outweigh the little niggles.
Lets start by the check in process - when we arrived through the fantastic entrance gates to the hotel - we thought this place looks good. I am glad we took private taxi rather than turn up on a coach, as we were the only people checking in. The reception area is all open and we were greeted with a refreshing cocktail, and after a 10 hour flight, it was needed. We arrived at approx. 4.30 pm Mexico time and was told the room would be ready in about 20 min - I must admit I was not happy about this, however we finished our cocktails and collected our keys - the bell boys drove us to our apartment and took the cases upstairs for us.
When we got to the room - the cleaners were just finishing and to be fair the room was plenty big enough for me and my partner -there were 2 swans made out of towels on our bed, along with petals and balloons, then we were given a bottle of bubbly with choc strawberries - a nice touch.
We chose the buffet restaurant on the first evening and it was fantastic - the food was fresh and plenty to choose from. the staff were very friendly and we were topped up with fresh water and any drinks we required - the receptionist to the restaurant always greeted us with a smile and offered us a aperitif each visit.
After a good night sleep - we had a little wander around Sian Kaan - we found 3 pools with plenty of sun beds - to be honest the water was very warm, I was not that impressed with the cleanliness around the pool with the snack bar - dirty glasses left by the pool - obviously left there from the night before. You get 1 loudish pool , I pool which was not so lively and one which is like a library - so there is a pool to suite everyone.
The bar service we found good around the pools always someone topping you up.
We did book couple of restaurants and we would suggest booking them as soon as you can as they get full quickly, however we found the buffet amazing in the Sian Kaan and spent most evenings there. We did try the other Buffet ones on the other hotels, when we went to the beach, but there was no comparison to the quality at the Sian.
The tram things that take you to the other resorts were frequent, however getting back could be a pain, as for some reason or another they were not so frequent.
The private beach for the Sian Kaan is vey nice iced tea bought to you each morning, with some nuts and face towels with a cooling spray - the other beaches are just as nice but bit more lively.
Overall a beautiful setting and we were glad we picked the Sian Kaan over the others in the collection - as no screaming children - people in football tops, a very relaxing stay.
The other hotels are very impressive but very large - the pools looked lovely but as you can imagine very loud and full. We went over one evening and came back within 10 min as we found too many children running around.
So to conclude - the Sian Kaan is a place to go if you want peace and quite and to relax - with the facility to go across the road for more lively stuff.
The buffet restaurant is first class with different theme every night.
The Bad - 4 times we got back to our room at 4.30 and they were not cleaned - I complained on 4 occasions and got same response -(nothing) and our bar was not topped up on 4 occasions. It took ages for anyone to ans the reception phone. The rooms were cleaned ok ish - not 5 star standard.
The entertainment in the Sian Kaan was same most nights - 2 chaps on an organ singing and you get cabaret that lasts for about half hour - the entertainment finishes by 10 which is a pity.
I would honestly say the hotel is a 4 star max we had a fantastic time there and some of my moans may seem trivial, until you get there you will see what I mean.
Would I stay again -- No in all honestly as there are more places to visit and try.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi (free of charge) Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya, Mexico - Akumal