“Excellent overall holiday experience”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Lovely hotel with very friendly welcoming staff . Alex, Maiko and. Buffet all extremely good quality.
A good a varied selection of food and drink across the hotel.

Excellent spa facilities and a fantastic challenging golf course( take extra balls)

Room Tip: The penthouse was great but not enough privacy. Room 80423/24/22/21 all very central to restaurants...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Debbie S
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for choosing our lovely hotel for your vacation, it was an honor to be your host.

We appreciate the time taken to write your excellent impression about your recent stay with us and the areas that you enjoyed more. Your comments will be forward to our staff so will help us in keep providing the best service that our guests deserve.

Looking forward to welcoming you in the near future,

Warm Regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (7,541)

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

What can I say, 5* really means 5* here!!!! Absolutely amazing stay here. Only home 2days and ready wanting to book our return visit. The staff could literally not have been more efficient & friendly. Totally worth every penny and would 100% recommend!!!!! We're definitely coming back here.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank HappyHolidaysEvery1

Dear Guest,

It is really rewarding for all of us to know that you had the best holiday ever and that you would definitely come back.

Thank you so much for your nice words about our efficient & friendly staff and for recommending our hotel!!

We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is a 5 starts regarding the food and the service, the room is clean and big but this hotel is not for beach lovers as the hotel is not at the beach. You waste a lot of time taking the buses to come and go from the beach and to go and come from the other hotels on the resort.
What really killed it for me was the amount of insects( including scorpions). On the first day I had a scorpion in my room and a huge black moth. I asked for a room change so I could stay in the second floor and after hours of confusion and time wasted, I got a room in the second floor. It did not solve the problem, I still had insects in my room and for 7 nights I could not sleep because a loud noise that a insect was making in my room. We could not find the insect and I was in terror all night long. That's the reason why I will never return to this hotel. Even at night when we would go out to listen to live music( they had it every day), the bugs were everywhere attacking us, on the last day I just gave up and stay in the room.
I loved the beach, the food and the staff. I did not like the swimming pool, there were 3 in this hotel and they were all small and blah, not a 5 star hotel swimming pool at all.

Room Tip: If you are ok with insects any room is a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nadja C

Dear Nadja,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at our resort. We are really happy to read that you enjoyed the food and the service.

Thank you as well for bringing to our attention your perception about the internal transportation and insects. Your comments will be reviewed so we can take measures to improve them. As you know we are an ecological hotel surrounded by vegetation zone that offers our guests to be in touch with the nature and unfortunately we can’t avoid having insects. Nevertheless, we do a daily fumigation program to decrease insects around.

We wish we can welcome you back to offer you better experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a 20+ wedding party- the wedding of my best friend of 22 years, at which I was a bridesmaid.

We arrived on a stiflingly hot evening, tired, and convinced we were straight off to bed. Whilst checking in, a waiter carried over 8 margaritas for the eight of us staying at Sian Ka'an, whilst the rest were whisked away to other hotels in the resort. It wasn't long before we were all wide awake and in the holiday spirit, so after popping off to our rooms (will detail mine in a mo) we met up for dinner. It was at the hotel buffet restaurant, and it was gorgeous. I had proper Mexican cuisine- had to- and it was better than any I've tried before. Imagine, therefore, how good the a la carte restaurants around the resort are.

We stayed in a Junior Suite Superior Penthouse, the one with the jacuzzi on the roof, and it was stunning. The bed was wider than it was long, and every day the cleaner made us a new towel animal, complete with sticky eyes and smiles, and fresh flowers too. The attention to detail was incredible. We barely had to use the AC because the ceiling fan above the bed worked perfectly.

The hotel pools were lovely, very clean and a decent number of sun beds. There's also a waiter service for drinks, and a nearby snack bar that does the best cheese fingers ever.

My boyfriend complained that he had to wait so long for someone to serve him coffee with breakfast one morning, and when leaving the restaurant we were stopped by the manager on duty, Rogelio, who apologized for the service and promised they would improve. We really didn't mind that much! Then, upon returning to our room later that day, we were impressed to find a champagne bucket with a bottle of chilled bubbly waiting for us, by way of an apology. We were of course, very impressed. Rogelio kept an eye out for us from then on, making sure we had everything we needed. What a great guy!

The rest of the holiday was spent on excursions, which were awesome, and the wedding. The location was perfect, down on the white sandy beach. It made for some gorgeous photos. Unfortunately the catamaran booked for the reception was cancelled on the day due to high winds, but the hotel staff did an excellent job of whipping up an impromptu reception area by our own private candlelit pool, complete with bar and DJ.

There are lots of free activities going on around the resort hotels, and although we didn't do many, a lot of them seemed very popular. We preferred to laze by the pool or leave the resort. I can recommend Xel-Ha and cenote diving/ snorkeling (we went to Dos Ojos), and snorkeling at Akumal Bay, where we saw wild turtles, nurse sharks and stingrays, amongst schools of tropical fish. We also did the Biosphere tour, which was an incredible day of driving down a sandy jungled peninsula to a fishing village, where we took safari boars through mangroves and out to see the while dolphins. And drank a lot of tequila in the sea. I would also recommend visiting Playa Del Carmen for the day. We found a wicked Cuban bar and sat drinking delicious mojitos and watching the salsa dancers iand live band nto the night.

I would most definitely return to this hotel without a second thought. It really was a beautiful holiday and a truly unforgettable experience. There's still so much more to see down in the Mayan peninsula and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for the junior penthouse suite if you want the jacuzzi. The garden jacuzzi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Skippingirl777

Dear Guest,

We are really happy to read that you found our resort practically perfect and that you will definetely return without a second thought. We really appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

It is great to know that you had a great time during your stay and at the wedding you attended to. We would also want to thank you for mentioning the attention to the details of our staff; specially from Rogelio.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Me and my partner stayed here from June 20th-July 4th. Only one word can sum up our entire experience WOW!!.
We arrived at the resort at approximately 5.00pm (Mexican time) after a 10 hour flight. We had a private taxi transfer which I would highly recommend. It took about an hour in a taxi so would be much longer by coach.
We were greeted at reception by a very pleasant helpful man who gave us all the information we needed to know about the eating arrangements etc. We were given a map for the resort which was really helpful. We were also greeted with an ice cold Margarita which was really appreciated as it was really hot! We were then taken on a little shuttle to our room and helped with our suitcases. We were given room 40324 which is located on the top floor; it was one of their wonderful Penthouse Jacuzzi suites, really spacious. The bed was massive!! Plenty of wardrobe space. I had read quite a few reviews regarding not enough wardrobe space however I thought they were more than enough. The aircon was fab and kept the room extremely cool which was definitely needed. Room was cleaned everyday to a high standard and I was always excited to see what towel art was waiting on the bed when we returned.

We booked our dinner reservations on the second day we were there and had no problem making them. We dined at the Al a carte Alux restaurant which was out of this world. The food was amazing and the service was fantastic. We also dined at the Brazilian restaurant located in the Tulum resort. Definitely not for the faint hearted! If you are a meat eater then you need to go to this one. All the meats you can think of. Staff came round with meats on swords, you can have all the meat you want until you are bursting, just put your card given on green and eat till you explode once you are satisfied turn the card to red. All the other days we ate at the buffet, definitely the best buffet I have eaten from. All the foods you could want and really tasty!!

The pools are great, there are 4 pools at the Sian Kaan, two which are quiet and two a little livelier. The two livelier ones have daily activities such as water volley ball and water polo. My partner participated in these quite often. Other games were on as well to win prizes. The pools were so warm I’m not sure if they were heated or if it was just the sun blazing down on them.

The beach was absolutely amazing. We went to the beach most days and never had a problem finding a sun bed on the Sian Kaan private beach, we usually got there between 8.30am-9.00am, maybe if you went any later you may struggle, although many sun beds are available further up or down the beach. You just get a shuttle outside the lobby and every 5 minutes one appears to take you. It literally only took 5 minutes to get there. The service at the beach was great. In the morning you were given a glass of Mexican tea, some nuts, a flannel and some cooling spray. Whenever you wanted drinks either go to the beach bar or simply put up your red flag given and a member of staff will serve you. The beach was lovely and the water was so clear it was magical, having never been to the Caribbean before it was amazing! A little rocky when entering the sea in places but walk a little further up and it were perfect. Mid-day it was just like getting into a bath the water was that warm.
Activities were also available on the beach starting from 10am. Yoga, Volleyball, Aqua gym, all the entertainment staff were brilliant getting everyone involved and not pestering if you didn’t want to participate. We also went snorkelling in the sea and lots of different fish can be spotted.

The shuttle bus service was great, by being a guest at the Sian Kaan means you have access to all the other resorts and the shuttles take you to any of the lobby’s you wish to go. You really are waiting no longer than 5 minutes. The red and blue shuttle takes you the Hacienda we went there most nights. Here you can find some shops bars and a night club, still part off your all inclusive. The night club opens from 11.30 till 2.00am with a range of tunes being played, really good for people who want to stay up a little later.
The Sian Kaan lobby stayed open till 11.00pm the 24 hour snack bar still serves drink if you didn’t want to venture to the hacienda but still wanted to stay up.
Entertainment at the lobby was great from dance shows to Karaoke. You can also try the Casino in Coba lobby.

All the staff are amazing and could not do enough for you. A special shout out to Citlali who worked at the pool bar and in the lobby. She was amazing when one drink was finished there she was with another, so friendly a polite. Thank you for everything Citlali. All the other staff were amazing though and never expected any tips although I did tip for the great service. The amount of work they put in they deserve a little extra.

If you love the beach I would highly recommend going to the paradise beach, the beach here was spectacular!! Only cost 700 pesos and the taxi driver waited 4 hours for us.

We had rain once while we were here which lasted about 1 minute. I wouldn’t bother looking at the forecast before you go. I did and thought it was going to rain the entire time but how wrong was I.

I am already thinking when we can return to the Bahia Principe Sian Kaan. I can’t think of a bad word to say about the place, I know people have different expectations but his hotel ticks all the boxes. Thank you to you all who made it a holiday of a life time. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Penhouse suite- Room 40324 Amazing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Amy Y

Dear Amy,

We are glad to hear that you had the best holiday ever at our hotel and that you enjoyed the check-in, your room, the a la carte restaurants, the pools , beach, shuttle service and the service of all our staff. Thank you for mentioning Citlali, I will forward to her your comments, she will be happy to hear from you!

We would be delighted to assist you in the future if your travel plans lead you back to the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards from the Caribbean!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Sian Kaan delivers exactly what it says on the tin Brilliant resort it's the attention to detail that sways my vote As you would expect from. 5* resort wonderful food coupled with great attentive service and lovely little touches like champagne afternoon tea!! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort and we will certainly repeating the experience

Room Tip: penthouse villa :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 36Sharon_P
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Sharon,

Thank you so much for taking time to write your positive impressions about our hotel. We are really happy to know that you had a great time.

Thank you for recognizing the attention to the details and attentive service of our staff. We are looking forward to welcome you back and repeat this lovely experience!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have had the pleasure to stay at the Bahia Principe group of hotels in Akumel 6 times now and 5 of those times at the Sian Kaan site. This Spanish hotel chain has done an excellent job with Sia Kaan The staff has always met our requests for service, whether dinner reservations or room repair with cheerfulness and speed They truly seem to care about their jobs. The buffet is the best quality I have been to other than maybe the very high end Vegas lobster/prime rib type, ( maybe) We have stayed in all room categories and have enjoyed them all. The beach is a tram away in an exclusive area reserved for Sian Kaan guests. You can be served drinks on the beach whereas the other 3 associated hotel guests won't be served. My real reason for staying was the golf course which was designed by Robert Trent Jones II and he certainly made it beautiful as well as a true challenge It is a bit of a ride to get there from the airport but for the value it's worth it. It would take a lot to be dissapointed in this hotel so enjoy

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allan D

Dear Allan,

It is always a pleasure to welcome our guests, thank you so much for your loyalty and for choosing us for the fifth time to enjoy your vacation.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at our hotel and the nice words about our staff are a great motivation to continue working everyday.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for the sixth time at Sian Ka’an!

Warmest Regards,