This trip was amazing!
I see I am not the first reviewer to have had a wonderful experience with the staff!
The warm and friendly reception from the resort staff that my father and I received on our trip to Akumal made the experience one that I will never forget!
The resort itself is large and offers many amenities for every guest (translation: there is more to do then drink on the beach or by the pool......but there is plenty of that too!) There are countless adventure packages and trips that can be taken through the resort.
I went swimming with the dolphins at Delphinus - I would highly recommend this excursion to anyone that is comfortable in the water and has ever had an interest in these amazing creatures. Delphinus is not a part of the resort but the trips can be booked through it. There is also a dolphinarium at Tulum, however I wanted to experience the swim in as natural a setting as possible and this was only possible at Delphinus.
The Delphinus staff were well educated on the dolphins, their training and the environment. There was a clear passion for training and the dolphins in each of the trainers. The dolphin herself was amazing (Calem) - I would redo the swim over and over! My only complaint is that the pictures cost more then the excursion - I bought them because the memory was worth it (36 pictures and a dvd) but I was very shocked at the price.
I also took a half day trip to visit the ruins at Tulum, this was also a mind-blowing trip. I felt as if I had ended up in beach heaven.....but I will come back to that. I booked the trip at Akumal on the beach there is an excursion hut and Luis was so helpful when it came to booking the trip! I ended up trekking this trip alone as there was a lot of walking and stairs and my father cannot walk well anymore. I would recommend taking the first tour out as the site is less busy and you don't end up waiting in any lines.
The tour guide for Tulum was terrific, he was knowledgeable about the location, the history and the Mayan culture. He gave us information on not only the ruins but how Mayan math worked too! After taking us around the ruins and showing us the highlights we were given and hour and 45 minutes to explore and enjoy the beach. I have included pictures of the beach - words do not do it justice! The trip to Tulum also provided me an opportunity to shop in the artisan market and get some great deals on handmade art and souvenirs!
If staying on the resort is more your speed then you wont have any complaints either! From the moment we entered the resort I felt like part of a family. The staff in every department were helpful and friendly, we required a room change due to a disability Marcel at reception took care of this with ease and took far better care of us then I ever could have expected. The transportation between lobbies (Tulum, Coba and Akumal) is fast and convenient and the option to visit the hacienda is great!
My first day at Akumal I was left to entertain myself before dinner as my dad napped, I hopped on the "superman" bus and visited the hacienda. I went back to the hacienda to the Corona house before leaving Akumal - the guys here are friendly and funny I suggest stopping by for a beer or two (but it isn't part of the all inclusive).
There is a market at the hacienda as well - there really is no need to go off resort for anything.
There are also activies on the beach and by the pool throughout the day - I also recommend trying Zumba or Aquagym with Eduard, the workouts were fun and funny and its a great way to make friends on the resort!
All of our meals were wonderful, I could have easily spent a day eating!
Regardless of where we went to eat (buffet or a la carte) we were received by friendly staff. Manuel and Fernando in the Akumal buffet were our regular waiters and greeted us every meal with an Ola and a genuine smile. It is easy to understand why the staff so easily greet guests this way when you meet Ignacio (the food and beverage assistant). I have never met a more warm and welcoming person as Ignacio - it is obvious that he enjoys interaction with guests and takes pride in his job.
The final thing I will go on about is the resort beach. Akumal has the best beach, no contest, out of the Gran Bahia Prinicpe family. All lobbies can come and use the beach including he Sian Ka'an (the golf resort across the road) so if you want to have a canopy and beach chairs you will need to head to the beach early to snag one, I did it every morning and it definitely made it possible to stay on the beach the entire day. The water is inviting and if you remain inside the wave breakers it is calm enough to swim and play. The coral reef provides an abundance of aquatic life to look at (pelicans hang out on the pier/walkway) I picked up a snorkel and goggles and took a look at some of the tropical fish that swim around the edged of the reef. It was like swimming in an aquarium at points - but the fish really don't bother you if you don't bother them.
If you are planning to visit the Gran Bahia Prinicpe get to know the staff, they really are the reason the experience was so great!
I would absolutely go back and am currently working on a plan to do just that!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, LoveHolidays, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe