Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 26 November 2013

stayed here on the 6/11 for 2 weeks..such an amazing place..ruby and anna in akumal buffet ..both lovely girls and oustanding service..the place is so clean an all staff say hello to you..the fact u can use all the hotels in the resort..keeps u busy for a week!!! already booked for 30th sept next year..miss my paradise

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank wendybluenose
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

On behalf of the entire team working at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate you have mentioned that you liked the service of the staff at the buffet restaurant and all the quality of our services. We are entirely at the service of all our guest, we like to transmit the warm spirit of all our team work to our clients.

It has been our pleasure to be at your service and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Regards from Mexico,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This place is huge. Our stay was fantastic. The food was the most amazing ever. Definatley take advantage of the a la carte. The beach is amazing. Don't be scared to try to tequilas, they're not just for show. The dolphine show rocks.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear TripAvdison member:

We appreciate the time you you took in writing a review of your recent stay and at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya.

It is a pleasure to know that you are satisfied with the services and the quality of food we offer in our restaurants.

Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival, we will do our very best to accommodate your requests and like that create another great moment.

Our best regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Do not listen to the uptight people moaning about stupid petty little things this place is brilliant so so big so much to eat if you cannot find something to eat you need to visit a doctor for therapy .... There are so many options the buffets are great just time it right so the food is hot it's a buffet it's not hard ffs... Pools are great you can chill or party plenty to choose from, beaches are great sunrise awesome ... The drinks are mental all branded as strong as you like and as for the staff brilliant work tirelessly all day so nice Fernando at the small bar by the lobby is a legend and Melvin by the far end on the beach top top guy...
Do book up this place it's massive we'll run for its size has a few issues with no air con in buffets and leaking roofs when the heavens open but apart from that superb if you can't enjoy your time here then go on a cruise with all the other uptight holiday makers...

Mucho gracias

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tom M

Dear TripAdvisor member:

Thank you for your amazing comment about the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal!

We are thrilled to read that you have had an amazing experience with us. It is also an honor to read that you loved our facilities and our enviroment (the lovely and unpredictable wheather).

We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays; and we sincerely hope to host you again on your upcoming trip to Mexico. Please do not forget to contact us before your arrival to make it memorable.

Warmest regards

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in The Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Traveled with Thomson on their Dreamliner airline really good plane, plenty of leg room even in cattle class. Didn't seem to suffer jet lag too badly at all which they say you don't with the extra oxygen.
Nice hotel. We had two intercommunicating family rooms. Ideal couldn't fault the accommodation. You have the choice of three other hotels within the complex which you are able to visit via a courtesey cart/train this travels frequently throughout all the hotels and not too long a wait. All the hotels are similar. Ours was on the beach and was ideal for us.
Food was similar in all, lots of everything although nothing especially hot just kept warm. I do like my food hot!!!
Especially liked the a la carte restaurants which were really very nice and well worth a visit, You are allocated so many visits dependent upon length of stay. Lovely restaurants the food was delicious in the few we sampled.The only thing was getting a suitable time slot/booking during your visit. We couldn't get early bookings at some and much too late with children.
Gripes:
Sun loungers - you sat on them and they flipped up your back. When laying down ok.
Restaurant - Every morning for 10 days there was only ever one tray of bacon at our hotel for breakfast.Needless to say this was used up very quickly and a long wait for replacement. They didn't appear to anticipate the consumption of bacon! Refilling does not happen quickly even for the yogurt.
I like my cup of English tea with milk - I know some people take their tea black but surely they must like the water boiling water to make tea? Could just be me. You are not able to help yourself to water or coffee in any way only waiter service for lots of tables from thermos flask. He filled your with cup water and then went away to get milk. Upon his return the water was luke warm. Towards the end of the holiday they seemed to have heated the water up I don't know whether this was because I mentioned fact to our Rep!
Asked the kitchen and reception for a bowl to sterilise baby bottles in as our contained had smashed in transit. Was informed they had nothing they could lend us during our stay! Had to use a plastic bag!
Drinks not own brand but passable.
Cocktails in the day from the pool bar were very sweet, made with a sugar syrup i think, which was all one could taste. Evening drinks ie Vodka and coke was ok. Beer good.

All in all I would recommend this hotel as my gripes are personal to me.

Reps and all staff were very pleasant and helpful generally.
Cannot comment on any trips as we did not leave the complex with young children.

Room Tip: This is a big complex and I would not have like to be based at the back of the hotel for walking to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear TripAdavisor member:

Receive cordial greetings from the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We are really glad that you have taken a litte bit of your time to write down your impressions about your recent stay with us. It is good to know that you enjoyed our facilities and also eating in our à la Carte restaurants.

Thank you for the observations you kindly let us know, be sure we will take them as an oportunity to improve all our services and maintain the quality of our resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival and we will do our very best to accommodate your requests.

Our best regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Overall the hotel is fine, if not exceptional. The food is mixed, some very good, some average, and there are several pools and choices for eating.

There are 3 main issues with this hotel, so you should consider other options too before booking:

1) Privilege Club - attended one of the worst and least professional sales efforts we have ever experienced. This must be a very poor attempt to trick any gullible visitors into paying a significant amount up front to join a club with very questionable benefits. I can hardly believe the classic and underhand tactics that were attempted. Too long to list here, but PLEASE DO BE VERY CAREFUL, and preferably avoid the 'tour' altogether

2) a la carte restaurants. We were (as we're other guests) told they were nearly full on all evenings and offered late slots or limited choice. In reality the a la carte restaurants were always only ever 50% full. For some reason the hotel is playing games here! Doesn't seem very honest..

3) the alcohol is watery and the bars seriously lack any atmosphere at all.

Overall the hotel is reasonable and the staff are mostly very good. However if you want integrity and any sort of luxury you are likely to be better off elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 1FairTraveller
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear 1FairTraveller,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club we want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We thank you for sharing with us your vacation experience along with your valuable feedback, concerning the the variety of the resort's gastronomic offer along with your observations related to the availability of the specialty restaurants and quality of the beverages. We will be sure to share them with the Food & Beverage Management for internal review.

On the other hand we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have endured during your vacations and while meeting the Privilege Club's Promotions team. This approach is meant to inform guests of the membership offered through the Privilege Club. I can assure you your comments have been shared with the responsible department and will be taken into consideration and will allow us to improve our strategy, services and human resources.

Once more, thank you for your constructive feedback and we hope to receive you once more.

Best regards,

Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe (Akumel) from Nov. 9-16/2013). While it is a cosmetically attractive resort, this does not make it for a wonderful holiday. First of all, I do not like to wear a wrist band...the entertainment is finished at 10PM nightly, then the whole place becomes very quiet. Sitting in the lobby proved pointless. There isn't any music to enjoy, & the wait staff leave you waiting a long time for service. Also, in the entertainment theatre, the volume is so loud, it's deafening. I found the food in the buffet restaurant to be very salty. Also, for food that is supposed to be HOT (temperture-wise) it was luke warm at best. The salty food certainly is not good for one who has a salt-restricted diet. While the rooms are very nice, the towels are hard like sand-paper. Friends of mine had to move rooms because when it rained, water got in the door, & that door was rotted half-way up. If a person wanted to eat elsewhere other than that buffet restaurant, one had to leave & go to one of the restaurants away from the resort. We could not get a reservation earlier than 9.30PM. One night the reservation was for 10PM. Other people we spoke with who made reservations AFTER us, somehow managed to get earlier times. How does THATwork? Also, there really isn't anything to do at the resort, unless you're a person who is really interested in pool activities. Not only was I disappointed in my stay, but so were my travelling companions. We met at least 4 other couples from Britain who were trying to contact their travel rep in order to transfer elsewhere. Had the wedding I was attending took place earlier in the week, I most certainly would have transferred to another resort,but the wedding took place on a Thursday, we were returning home on Saturday, so there wasn't any point in even asking for a transfer. Depending on where your room is located, you'll need to take their tram to get back to the lobby to attend the restaurant for breakfast or whatever. Luckily for me, my room wasn't located all that far away, but that certainly wasn't the case for most people.
I was never so bored on vacation as I was while staying at this resort. Due to what I've listed...I will NOT return to this resort, nor to I recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the Lobby area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank alwaystravelling41
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Akumal and for taking the time to share your recent stay with us.

We really regret that your stay was not up to your expectations. Our team works very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. We will not attempt to excuse the occurrences that happened during your stay, but please be assured that you evaluation has been shared with all the departaments involved to take the proper measures. We certainly appreciate your comments, as all of them provide us with the opportunity to improve our services.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future to welcome you back.

Receive our warmest regards

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here February 28th for 2 weeks. I have to first start with a huge thank you to Vanessa for helping make our anniversary trip that much better! As a Golden member we enjoyed the express ride from the airport and the upgraded features of the hotel. Golden gives you the privilege of being closer to the beach, extra a la cartes and express check in. We have stayed at several resorts in different countries and this one was by far the nicest! My husband is a big believer in never going to the same resort twice; well as I write this we are sitting with my parents planning another 2 week family vacation over the Christmas holiday. So, that in itself says a lot.
The staff were always smiling and courteous with an hola and a nod. The rooms were clean and large. There was always something different to eat with the option of visiting all the different buffets and the a la carte options. It is a very large resort with a lot of walking but there is always a shuttle (golf cart train) every 15 minutes at the "bus" station, which was nice to hop from one section to another and when I was dressed up with "heels" on for dinner. It was also nice when there was a small rainfall that they were covered.
There are 3 resorts in one here so always something to do and that includes 3 different beach areas. All day long there was always something going on and if you want piece and quiet that is also an option as it wasn't hard to find a nice quiet spot.
The entertainment was good with a lot of options with the three different resorts.
One of the highlights of my trip was the small man made inlet where I could snorkel without fear. And the best part was I saw a seahorse - it was cool!!
All in all I would recommend staying here for anyone, I think families would have more for the kids at Coba.
I am really excited to be planning another trip here.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for Golden you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Joe_Lesley

Dear TripAdvisor member:

Thank you for your amazing comment about the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We are glade to read that you have had an amazing experience with us. We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend you holidays.
We thank you also for your lovely comment about our staff, this is always a source of motivation to conitue working hard for our guests.

We sincerely hope to host you again on your upcoming trip to Mexico, but please do not foget to contact us again before your arrival.

Warmest regards!