The Grand Bahia Principe is a big complex with 5 different areas, which I’ll refer to as hotels, or 4+1 if you will – the Akumal one has a “prime” sub-area (no difference from the main Akumal hotel, where we stayed). Akumal and Tulum hotels are located at the beach, walking distance. Coba and, especially, Sian Khan (which is to the opposite side of the highway, inland) are not. If you stay at these latter two hotels either you take a small bus to the beach (5,10 minutes respectively) or be ready for walking (for Coba only, since the walk from Sian Khan is unfeasible).
For wild life lovers like ourselves this resort has an excellent location: beach front with wide reef ahead brimming with tropical marine life including rays, barracudas, turtles, sand sharks, all sorts of reef fish, a paradise for a snorkeler. Note it’s not a rocky beach, you have sandy areas too. Also, I’m writing about the Akumal beach and its reef which is much nicer than the adjacent Tulum beach, without natural reef break and thus full of artificial waves breakers – huge sand bags. These are not unpleasant in my view, but render the Tulum beach a few cuts below the Akumal one, just 2-5 mins walk. There are a few sand bags at the Akumal beach as well but I found them very well integrated and not impacting the natural value of the beach itself. The gardens are superbly maintained and are very well integrated with the surrounding mangrove vegetation. Coatis, badgers, squirrels, iguanas, exquisite birds, among others, are your regular pals when you hang around the resort.
I am not a pool lover, especially with that entire ocean out there, just jumped in for 5 mins once for my younger kid. But, if you are, you’ll be delighted with the pools area.
Service is very good in general and staff is friendly and efficient. Restaurant buffets are rich, offering a wide range of alternatives. In what concerns a la carte I recommend the Italian; Mexican is good, seafood one is a cut below. There is one 24-h snack bar on each hotel which may be handy. Beach bars are open 10-17h and offer a variety of alternatives. There is no air conditioning in areas other than rooms, just ceiling fans - for me this was not a problem at all.
Rooms are spacious, very clean and very well equipped and maintained. Ours was in the ground floor, which I found good, and well located (1 min walk to front desk / buffet, 2 min walk to the beach). The complex offers 3 floors buildings with 6 rooms per floor. Depending on where exactly your room is (check my note on the 4 “hotels” of the complex) your walk will be longer (most probable) or shorter than what I indicated for my room.
I am a scuba diver and snorkeler for 20 years, have been around the globe, and it’s hard to imagine a better beach with front reef than this one for a one week vacation with kids.
There is, however, one aspect needing urgent improvement: control of plastic waste on the surroundings, beach front, and the ocean. It’s dismaying to snorkel and keep finding plastic debris floating on the reef, where turtles dwell and may feed upon the plastic presuming it’s food, and die because of it. This is not fiction (I’m putting my marine biologist hat on). Many more plastic bins and recycling sites are needed within the resort and, especially, along the beach front. Educational campaigns to users (clients) are needed flagging up how important it is to preserve the natural environment the resort is embedded in. Avoid use of plastics on the beach, adopt the “hard plastic”, recycled, glasses, asking for their return. Launch campaigns where clients are encouraged to clean the beach front on organized initiatives. Finally, more man effort is needed from staff cleaning the beach front, sand, ocean, in end of days, making sure every single plastic and other debris are removed.
As a local leader, the resort must play an active role developing and adopting sustainability policies along the lines I leave above. This will place the Piñero group ahead of everyone else on this regard and set the bar much higher for others on sustainable tourism.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, TravelUp, Agoda, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe