Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal
US$403
  • Breakfast included
US$191
Travelocity
Del Sol Beachfront Hotel(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$102
Hotel Que Onda(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$68
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
10,487 results
All reviewssnack bardolce vitainfinity poola la carte restaurantsfishdon pablofrutos del marakumal buffetother resortsbutler serviceakumal sectiontulum ruinsmain lobbyshow tableactivities pooladults only sectioncancun airport
FilterAll languages

Grounds:

The grounds are kept very clean and not a piece of litter in sight. Everything is absolutely beautiful. You don't have to set up anything to take a picture - everything is just an absolute eye candy. Grounds staff/gardeners etc. work extremely hard to make sure the hotel remains in a next to perfect state.

Pools:

Again, very clean. One of the pools have a pool bar with both alcoholic and non- alcoholic cocktails. Both pools are very spacious and the water was at a good temperature in both. Sunbeds are of course reserved every morning but this is a given at any resort. The beach tends to have plenty of chairs however.

Beach:

Lots of space on the beach. You are welcome on to the Coba or Tulum section. I found Akumal the most lively however. They even have buffets on the beach sometimes! Great music and atmosphere!

Food:

Absolutely faultless! Something for everyone and the "a la cartes" are no exception. My favorite was Mikado where we were lucky enough to watch a chef prepare our meal for us (live cooking show) All the waiters are so polite and helpful. You should definitely tip them! They are not credited enough as well as the chefs.

Staff:

Not just at this resort, but the staff in all the resorts are so helpful and polite. My sister speaks Spanish and so do I a little bit. A little tip from me would be to try. Even if it's a simple "Hola!" they really appreciate it! If you speak Spanish as well as English then speak in Spanish. They really like it. The restaurant staff at the Akumal buffet are lovely! Every single one of them! The cleaners do an amazing job in each room and left some lovely towel art for us. We had a rather disgusting incident with our toilet being blocked but this was no problem for the cleaner of our room (massive thank you to him!)

Rooms:

Spacious, clean and cool. Beds are absolutely massive and had no trouble with the rooms whatsoever. Bathroom is also clean and spacious!

I don't get why people say it is in a bad location. There is a whole strip of hotels along the road that this hotel is located on. Despite what many others say, the beach is not rocky at all. It had a few pebbles in the sea at Coba but not at Akumal. This is not a problem however because you are allowed anywhere! The little trams take you everywhere which are brilliant! They arrive every 2-5 minutes and the drivers are more than happy to take you where you want to go.

We had a problem with someone called Omar at AirTransat which will be explained in another review my relative will write. Do NOT book a trip with them!

The trips, however were the best part of the holiday! My favorite was Xplor! Lots of zip-lines, caves to explore and even carts to drive through a jungle. If you like to get up and go this is the park for you! However, you are not forced to do anything. For example, I visited the Xenotes (credits to Pedro) and was not comfortable doing snorkeling and i was able to miss this out but continue with the other activities such as kayaking. Xcaret was also amazing and the show they do in the evening is not to be missed! Xoxomilco was a small boat trip with a Mexican Twist! Great Mariachi, food and atmosphere! Lastly, we went to Chichen Itza and visited a Mayan Village, ruins and a sinkhole. Very interesting and the guide was very knowledgable (they all are!)

This resort is not to be missed and I absolutely love Mexico. Without a doubt I would return tomorrow! Everything was just so lovely- including the people!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank sers101
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Guest:

It was amazing to welcome you in our hotel and provide you wonderful days. Your marvelous comment inspires us to always reach the entire satisfaction of our clients! Muchas Gracias!!

We are sure your review will help our future clients in their decision to visit us, as you have described very well the excellence of our services. We are happy to see you enjoyed them and we truly hope to repeat this experience again in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come back, we believe your will enjoy your stay even more.

Kind Regards from you Mexican home!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Our family of two adults and two teenagers (14years & 15years)returned on 20th July following two glorious weeks at Bahia Príncipe Akumel.We were in two rooms on third level of block 74.The lady who cleaned our rooms for whole holiday was very helpful and friendly.the room was maintained to a good standard.We had a few problems with blocked toilets but these were rapidly dealt with each time.Just remember no paper(including toilet tissue )goes in toilet no one told us !Beds comfortable fresh towels each day no problem.Best place for lunch is Cozamel restaurant it's air conditioned and has Zacharius as one of its waiters. He is extremely attentive and chatty,remembering your own particular likes/dislikes.Patricia in main buffet restuarant also provided excellent service.If you like turtles talk to guys at snorkel hut about night turtle watch .You get a talk about turtles starts 10pm and then go escorted to beach to see turtles dig nests and lay eggs we were about one metre from eggs dropping into nest AMAZING,UNFORGETABLE!.Captain Cook trip plugged as family trip. Not so !basically 200 packed on to adult party boat.Adult games involving alcohol kids cannot see(even our teenagers) and struggled to get non alcoholic drinks for kids.Food was good though.Thomson reps very helpful and informative thanks guys.Great snorkelling/swim mingling at beach behind biuling 65/66.lots of fish even I ankle deep water.drinks man there great and he keeps beach very clean frequently tidying up and cleaning even weed up.Thank to all staff for making dream holiday truly a dream holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank carolinesmith220664

Dear Caroline:

We are very honored because you chose us for your recent family holidays, it is always a pleasure welcome clients of all ages!

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you may have had in the room during your stay, but makes us feel proud to see that you recognize the efficiency of our staff to solve this and also for recognizing the excellent job our colleagues at the restaurants do to create a very pleasant eating experience, these words will be shared with all of them.

We hope to welcome you back again soon for another magical stay surrounding with the nature.

Warm regards!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just got back from akumal resort this morning . Overall a fantastic hotel with amazing staff. Only a couple of minor problems over the two weeks. When we arrived at cancun airport we were greeted by lots of chaos as a couple flights landed at the same time so immigration was really slow.
The bags took about 45 mins to appear on the carousel, then when we got outside, there are lots of people trying to HELP you take your suitcase about 50 yards to your transport, they just want a tip , so just take it yourself. The transfer takes bout 90 mins , bit of a pain but it's all worth it when u get there. All the staff are very efficient on arrival, we were upgraded to the golden club, where you are taken by lobby cart to a separate check in lobby, where you have a lovely cocktail of your choice made for you. If possible book your a la cart restaraunts straight away , as it gets busy.
We were taken to our room after about half an hour checking in. Only to find we had separate beds , a shower but no bath. So we asked for a room swap. Which we got 2 days later , so that wasn't to bad considering how full the hotel was. And these hotels are massive by the way, all with pools and swim up bars and excellent restaurants .
When we got our new room , everything was brill apart from the air-con which was on the blink , but they soon fixed it. That is the good thing , they do there best to put everything right if something goes wrong.
My only other criticism is that the buffet food in the akumal was plenty to choose from but never hot. The buffet in the tulum hotel was quite a bit better.
Also the cleanliness of the plastic drinking glasses around the poolside and the beach bar isn't the best. So we bought a tanket each from the lobby shop and just put the drinks in them which kept them cold and it was more hygienic . However none of these things spoilt our holiday .
If anyone is gonna do the trips , make sure you do coco bongos it is awesome ! We did wanna do the parasending aswell but never got around to it as all my partner wanted to do was bloody sunbathe lol. there are lots of other trips to do but with the cost of the holiday it is a lot of extra money to take with u. So next time we will be more prepared financially.
We met lots of people there from the US , Canada and the UK and had a brilliant time getting to know them all, so we would like to say HI to Steve , Annie and family, tony and family, Chris and Steve and Steve and Julie .
We would also recommend the Makado restaurant ask for the show table. Also don Pablo was fabulous. The staff in all the restaurants and the bars are all really efficient and very helpful. The only reason I haven't given the hotel a full rating is for the food not being hot enough. But that is just something to work on in the future. But it wouldn't stop me going back. So yes we WILL be back.
One of the only sad things, was leaving !
So thanks for a magic holiday.
Jay and Myra xx

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jason F

Dear Jay & Myra:

We appreciate the time you took to write your recent experience at the GBP Akumal, it is wonderful to know you had a great time with us.

We would like to say Gracias Amigos!! for staying with us and for the observations you made regarding the restaurants and bars, be sure this information have already been forwarded to the F&B managers in order to correct this areas, the evaluation of our clients is very important because it helps us to keep an excellent quality in the services we offer.

We will definitely be waiting anxiously your return to our beautiful little paradise!

Best regards!!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels on the Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel from 27th June for 2 weeks with a girl friend. Upon arrival we were whisked of to the Golden Lobby, as we had received a free upgrade when booking with Thomson. Once at the lobby we were greeted with a Margarita - Yum!

Our room was very spacious, clean and bright 6303 (block 63) we had a view of the Coatis home from the balcony as it was ground floor and had trees right in front of it. They kept us entertained during our 2 weeks. The Housekeeping was brilliant, the beds were changed regularly and our minibar was restocked on a daily basis. The bed was also very comfortable, I know a lot of people have mentioned in their reviews that they are too hard but neither of us had a problem with this!

The beach at the Akumal is beautiful, we managed to see every sunrise during our 2 week stay! The weather was sunny and very hot. We only had 2 cloudy afternoons with short showers, we did experience one thunder storm (no rain though) this was brilliant. There is water aerobics on the beach every morning from around 10am. The man-made lagoon is lovely to relax in but very hard to swim in as it is too shallow.

The buffet restaurant in the Akumal Lobby was brilliant, there was a huge selection of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I didn't have a problem with the temperature of the food, I had expected this to be a problem having read other reviews. I did however have a problem with the temperature of the restaurant as there isn't any aircon and the sun beats through the windows from 6am. There is a different theme to the food every evening, Italian, Mexican, American, Canadian. We didn't get to try them all as we had booked our ál a carte restaurants.
We booked:
Italian - Food was delicious, waiter was delightful (can't remember his name).
Mexican - Was a bit of a disappointment, the choice of food wasn't particularly great.
Brazilian - This was our favourite! If you like meat book this as soon as you arrive at the hotel and more than once or you will regret it. The Brazilian steak was the most tender cut of steak I have ever eaten. I am usually very fussy when it comes to meat but.. oh my! We wanted to make another reservation to this restaurant but sadly they didn't have any times available to both of our disappointment.
Japanese - We had a show table, this was very entertaining, the food was delicious and it was interesting watching the food being cooked in front of you.

Be sure to make your á la carte restaurants early at customer relations in the front lobby as they do get booked up very fast.

About the complex - it is made up of 4 huge hotels, the Akumal, Coba, Tulum and Sian Kan. if you are staying in the Akumal, Coba or Tulum you have access to all three of them and can use 1 hour free wifi in each of the lobbies which means you get 3 free hours in total. The wifi can be a little hit and miss, I didn't have too many problems as I used the wifi at 6:30 am and then again at 12:30pm to facetime home. Unfortunately the Sian Kan is only accessible if you are staying there and is over the road far away from the beach.

The hotel is huge, it is quicker to walk along the beach than to use the paths if you are wanting to get from one hotel to another however, you can make full use of the golf carts which run at regular intervals from 7am until early hours. The hotel grounds are immaculate, wherever you walk there is someone working either weeding, watering or digging. Every member of staff that we came across was happy and very friendly especially on the Golf Carts!

Whilst we were there we did 2 organised trips through Thomson. The first one was Xel-Ha (pronounced shell-ha) we had a fantastic day out, we spent a lot of time walking in the jungle, we floated down the lazy river which is actually fresh water and then becomes the sea. I did some snorkelling which was brilliant, I saw some very colourful and beautiful fish and I also spotted a Barracuda!! Ahh.
We watched the Dolphins, Sting Ray and the Manatees before going for a short bike ride in the jungle!

The second trip we did was the bar crawl in Playa Del Carmen which ended at Coco Bongos, the bar crawl was good. We had entry to 3 bars where the drinks were all inclusive and not actually that bad, you did have an OK choice. We then headed to Coco Bongos at 11:30am and watched half of a show. Coco Bongos was unlike anything else I have ever experienced, it isn't really somewhere I would drink like a club (this is my personal opinion). I actually stopped drinking here and sobered up before we left. The show however was AMAZING! Very different and very clever!

We also made our own way into Playa Del Carmen using the public transport which was very easy. We caught the cart from the Main lobby which took us to the front of the complex and we walked to the highway and flagged down a collectivo. The collectivo's are very cheap and very safe, as two young girls I was a little apprehensive and that we might feel unsafe but we really didn't. it was a very pleasant experience. We caught a taxi back from Playa Del Carmen which again was actually very cheap, I think it was about £7.00 each which isn't much as it is about 30 minutes away!

All in all we had a fantastic holiday! We came back with nice tans, fun memories and wanting to do it all over again. This was my second stay in a Bahia Principe hotel, I previously stayed on Bacardi Island in the Dom Rep and I must say I am as impressed with this huge complex as I was there! - Thank you to all of the staff at the GBP Akumal for making our stay so fantastic!

Adios amigo

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank 1611TashaB_

Hola dear client:

We are very impressed with this detailed review that you have shared with the TripAdvisor community, we must say thank you for staying with us and for giving us the honor to host you. We will forward your comment to our work team.

Your kind words are the reflect of our efforts to create a wonderful place with a relaxing atmosphere to our clients, it makes us happy to know you enjoyed watching the wild life, the great variety of your restaurants and dishes, beach areas and the entire complex. We are sure these funny memories will be with you for a long time.

Please do not hesitate to visit us again in the future we are sure your next stay will be even more memorable.

Kind regards from your Caribbean home!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience on the Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We spent our two week honeymoon here, it was fantastic. We really couldn't fault the hotel or it`s staff. The hotel was very clean,food was very good with a wide variety to choose from.
Entertainment good, Tony & all the rest of the entertainment staff were great.
All in all a fantastic holiday, would love to go back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth G
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Elizabeth:

On behalf of our working team, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your honeymoon and live the experience of the Caribbean paradise!

We are proud for having offered you an unforgettable time at our Resort, which reflects the high quality of services we provide. Please we want you to know that it is an honor and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to our animation team.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again, at your home away from home!

Our best regards,