Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
wiltshire
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Hotel is kept very tidy, in a lovely area right on beach,used local bus and taxis for trips out as much cheaper than tour operators.Staff very friendly.
When eating in specialized restaurents it can get very hot and uncomfortable as no air con,only ceiling fans. All in all a very good holiday.Would I go back Yes.

Room Tip: Perferred top floor, no lifts 3 flight of stairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank wiltshirefriends
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Client:

Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Mexico and for taking the time to share your impressions of your recent stay with us.

We ara happy to know your stay was excellent and you loved the location of our paradise.

Thank you for considering returning, we will be excited to welcome you back!

Receive our warmest regards.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,885)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were with Thomsons Gold, super fast check in with a mojito given in reception as you came in. luggage taken from us the moment we arrived, and delivered to our room just as we got there.4
Great staff, accommodation, grounds and brand drinks in certain bars.
the resort is huge, with loads of bars and restraunts.
The Akumal buffet was huge with a great variety every night, but if you canbe bothered to make the effort try some of the al a carte restraunts, my favourites were the Mikado (show table) , frutos de mar (seafood), and Don Pablo( surf n turf)

I could go on and repeat what most posters have already said, but I wont bore you.

If you are coming to this part of the world, Pick this hotel.
It is a working mans paradise.
I cant imagine ever going to a better hotel without paying mega bucks every day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GlasgowGaz
Dear TripAdvisor member:

We really would like to thank you for taking time to write this great review about your holidays in our little paradise

Reading such as inspiring words make us feel really honored and proud, your comment is a tool of motivation to keep on the good work and offer superb experiences.

Please do not forget to contact us before your next visit to have ready a very nice welcome for you.

My best regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Last year we stayed at Tullum and had a fantastic time. So for the first time in many years we returned to the same place but a different hotel in the same reort complex. We had joined the privilege club in 2012 but because of my work I cannot book a long time in advance so contacted privilege club in May but got no response. I eventually booked through Thomson (direct to Cancun from Glasgow on dreamliner). I also paid extra for an upgrade to a junior suite (supposed to be automatic as member of privilege club but still cost me an extra £180). The check in was a nightmare with delays of about 3 hours from arriving at our hotel. I was taken first to the privilege check in and then was ferried to Tullum where nothing could be done and then another ride to Coba and then another ride to the privilege check in to pick up the family.
We had been allocated a room on the 2nd floor but when I looked out on the balcony there was a massive palm tree in front of it where we could not even see the sky.
Back to reception to complain. I gave an option:- 1 chop down the palm tree or 2 move us to another room. We got moved.
The service in the hotel is very good and we eventually got sparkling wine and fruit delivered to our room with a nice linen table cloth. My wife's birthday was the day after we arrived and I had asked for the Mikado show table, but this could not be done so we settled for 30th June and got another sparkling wine and fruit, but not the same as doing it on the day.
We found the weather rather oppressive as very little of the hotel has aircon. Last year we had rain about 6 or 7 days which cleared the air a bit. This year it was in the high to mid 30's all the time and it did become wearing.
The theme restaurants are OK, but we missed Don Pablo because we were on a trip to Chichin Itza and did not get back in time for dinner.
I would recommend this hotel as there is much to see and do, but we have now done most of the main attractions - swimming with the sharks (recommended) swimming with the turtles (very good) X-Plor (very good) X-Carat (very good) we did but also did Playa del Carmen (not recommended).
We did have a bit of a scene on checking out as in the Hacienda they have some kind of festival on a Thursday night. We took ou son (age 6) there every second night as he has a thing for playing pool and we could only do that in the sports bar in the Hacienda. We had to sign for tickets for the show otherwise we could not get into the sports bar. So we signed and at the end of the stay were presented with a bill for $40. I asked to see manager and told him what had happened and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "You have to pay". I threw the $40 to him and walked away. Then I went to privilege club desk and got a manager called Riccardo (thanks Riccardo). He got my money back which I offered as a tip. It was not the money at all.
So we got on the bus with about 3 minutes to spare. Not the way you want to end a holiday.
All in all I was disappointed this trip and will probably not go back to Mexico with Bahia. But it has been an enjoyable experience.
Oh well I have probably bored the pants of you. Off to Brazil next week for a fortnight (work unfortunately) but will report on my hotel in Sao Paulo.

Room Tip: Inspect room before you accept it. See my dissertation
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank master50
Dear Client:

We are grateful you for having chosen us for your holiday and for the time took to write your perceptions about the services received.

We feel sad we could not meet to your entire expectations, we constantly work with our staff in order to improve the attention of our staff to our valuable clients and we are willing to receive all suggestions, criticism and compliments because this is the best way we will be capable to improve every day. Your observations will be forwarded to those departments involved to apply the proper actions.

Thank you this constructive feedback and we hope you are able to give us another chance to offer you a different experience.

Our kind regards!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We came here two years ago and we got married last year and went to the sister hotel in Punta Cana in Dominican Republic and even though that was amazing THIS place is MUCH MUCH better I cannot WAIT to come back role on 26th September .... hope it is as amazing as it was the first time

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sallycut
Dear Client:

I want to thank you for choosing always our lovely paradise for your holidays!!

We are happy to know you had a lovely time with us due to the great services we offer and we feel more than honored to know you will visit us again, be sure it will be a pleasure to create another memorable experience in your life.

Please do not hesitate to contact us close to your arrival date!

Receive my warmest regards!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience on the Mayan Riviera
Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel setting is really fantastic as the grounds are extensive and kept really well. The hotel complex is enormous, but fun 'buses' take you anywhere on the site (I felt really lazy but it really was too hot to walk). Take advantage of the other restaurants (3 or 4/week depending on your room grade) as the buffet dinner can get 'samey'. Be prepared to get up at 7.00 am each morning to get your sunbeds around the pool, although the beach ones are available until much later. Beach location has more breeze as the poolside becomes a bake-pit and the pool becomes too hot to swim in, but you need wet shoes for the sea as there are rocks/pebbles (and reefs) - don't forget your mask and snorkel!

Booked the highest grade room, but on arrival our allotted room was a standard one, but was able to move to the 'Royale' area (or whatever they call it) the next day (room 6826 - 68=block number, 2=second floor/top floor, 6=last room on the floor) although it wasn't much different apart from robes/slippers in the room; the 'beach towels in the room on arrival' benefit did not happen (which I particularly wanted as we arrived at the end of the day and wanted to be able to go straight into the pool - I anticipated this and brought my own towels anyway!); and the turn-down service (chocolates on the pillow) was a bit hit and miss. Having said that, the rooms were kept really clean; the use of the exclusive 'club house' (including bar) was a bonus; and we did have a sea view, but I had to ask for it!

On other matters, our air conditioning in our room worked well - I overheard complaints from others that theirs didn't. The fridge was always kept stocked with the soft drinks that I requested at the beginning. I always gave a couple of dollars (or the equivalent in pesos) as a tip to maids, waiters, etc - but don't forget to tip the 'bus' drivers (I forgot!) - they work really hard too! Bring hand fans for the main restaurant as there is no air conditioning and the ceiling fans don't provide enough cooling!

Venture outside the complex - we used taxis rather than the expensive tours - the drivers are prepared to do a deal and hang around for the return journey if you feel nervous. Tulum, Akumal and some cenotes are within each reach.

Room Tip: Go online to find their hotel map and choose an area where you would prefer to be (near the beach/se...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank karen_simmonds1202
Dear Karen:

Allow us to thank you for your visiting us and for the time you took to write your observations!

Comments like yours motivate us for always offer the best to all our clients and improve those areas that need more emphasis; we really appreciate your feedback and be sure we constantly take action to guarantee our guests feel welcome and comfortable.

We hope you visit us in the future and continue enjoying our grounds.

Best regards!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays on the Mayan Riviera
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband travel a a lot. This was our second time at this part of the hotel. We went there 2 years ago and it was amazing it did meet 5 stars. This time they cut more servers out at the buffet and you don't get service unless you make yourself noticeable or my best advice get your favorite waiter he or she will seat you every time when he or she sees you come in to buffet. Of course make sure you give them nice tip everytime you go.
Beaches are clean and beautiful.
Food is amazing we did stay at other parts of hotel for our other holidays but this part which is Acumal is the best from whole resort.
And don't get sucked into Privilege Club sign in it is not a timeshare but almost alike and as soon as you sign in they don't serve you anymore at all. It is not a scam but for some reason Privilege Club members don't get service as same as just a regular golden Acumal members.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anastasia S
Dear Anastasia:

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of your stay in our hotel!

We will forward your observations to our Genera Manager and departments involved in order to take the proper measures that guarantee the entire satisfaction of our clients. Thank you for these constructive observations.

We hope you give us the chance to welcome you back in the future for offer you a better experience.

Kind regards!

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having just returned over the weekend with my family (2 boys 6 & 3), I thought I must share our wonderful experience. This resort is HUGE, yet it's made very easy to get through via the various golf carts transporting you from Akumal to Coba to Tulum and back and forth. Furthermore there are smaller carts within each resort transporting people to their rooms, as some can be a little far to walk to and from. We stayed at Akumal which was fantastic and had an abundance of pools, eating places and staff always ready to help with a smile. For us Alma and Mario in main buffet restaurant we're fab and if you are fortunate to be waited upon by them then you'll always be :) In the swim-up bar (wet bar) Jorge is the man and will always be too hand to mix your favourite cocktails or serve you an ice cold beer.

The beach from Akumal lobby is NO more then 5 minutes walk and sun beds go quick, so don't blink. Once there as you step into the saltily water you'll find fish swimming around you and plenty snorkelling opportunities. The main man at the bar on the beach, is too good and quick.........whether theres 1 person in the que or 20 always smiling and we nicknamed him speedy.

The only thing that I'd say about the pools at Akumal, they don't have any play areas or slides for young children(6 and younger) and so they'll prefer to go to the pool at Coba which do. Though using the golf carts one could get easily get there within 10 mins at the most, from the lobby to pool.
Once there nothing changes, you have the use of ALL the facilities as if you're at your own resort as well as the abundance of food at the buffet or 24 hour snack bar.

On the subject of food, there is abundance of choice within the buffet's and I'd be surprised if anyone would go hungry. The food is constantly topped up and a keen eye is kept upon it by staff to ensure nothing is ever left empty. Furthermore there a number of al a carte restaurants that you need to pre-book upon your arrival. With younger children in mind we'd suggest getting these done sooner rather then later, but our favourites were the Japanese (cobs), Brazilian bbq (tulum) and one other in Akumel Premier which was known as Oasis. In the later look out for a waiter called Pedro, VERY attentive and always to hand.

Overall ALL the staff are very friendly and always happy to help, which with an exception of a handful is always done quickly. No request is ever too much for them and will always be done with a :)

Very briefly on the excisions, swimming with the dolphins (which isn't cheap) is a MUST and the Captain Hook bbq. These we organised via our Thompson's rep, though I'm sure regardless who you travel with you can organise these with them too.

The evening shows were fantastic too, the ones that are a must (assuming they have the same ones) is Michael Jackson and Lion King.........regardless of age you will have fun.

I could go on about the good things we experienced in the 11 nights we were there, but that wouldn't be fair. Needless to say we WILL be returning sometime soon.

Enjoy as you won't be disappointed.........look out for the iguana's and racoons, they make the holiday that much more fun ;)

Room Tip: If staying in Akumal, try to request to be in Villa's 50 down to 35. They are closer to the lob...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank LondonMrd
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Client:

It was a truly pleasure to host your during your holidays and provide you an outstanding service!!

On behalf of our entire staff we would like to say Gracias! for your lovely comments about our services, staff and facilities, we really appreciate them and will be shared with our entire team, your feedback make us happy to see you loved them and had the chance to see the beautiful wild life!

Please give us the honor to host you soon for another marvelous stay!

Our best regards from sunny Mexico!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience on the Mayan Riviera
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,403 reviews

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!