“Great Resort to Stay”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Montreal, Canada
“Great Resort to Stay”
Reviewed 7 February 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Bahia Principe Akumal from January 29th to February 5th and have no regrets at all in choosing this resort.

I have read several other reviews and have these points to make:
- yes the pool was cold but then again they are not heated articially so when the temperature goes down at the night so does the temperature of the pool water. Note my sister stayed at another resort and their pool was also cold.
- the beaches are a bit rocky but were well groomed; if you had aqua shoes you will have no problems at all; my husband and I walked up and down the beach for hours.
- we had no problems with the restaurant service: in fact, we can say that it would hard to receive this level of service even in our own town
- the food was excellent (both at the a-la-carte and buffet restaurants) and so diverse that I don not understand anyone who could not find anything they liked
- our room was cleaned prompted everyday in the morning between 10h30 - 11h00 ( our choice) and our frig was also stocked up with all drinks and goodies we wish to have; 4 1-litre bottles of water are left everyday
- the reception and the staff were always helpful and we had no problems while we were there for money change, room service, transportation, etc.
- it is clearly marked in the travel documentation that certain activities were extra costs so it should not be a surprise to you
- location is great as we went everywhere using the public transport (Tulum, Xel-Ha and Turtle Bay) which was cheaper and more fun than taking a taxi

Remember to bring something warm to wear as it does get a little chilly at night.

In summary, remember you are on vacation and in a different country so don't expect everything to be exactly like home. We had an excellent time and would recommend this resort to anyone.

26 Thank Anita C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,014)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 February 2005

We stayed from Jan 8-22 and the weather was outstanding the entire time we were there!!! We've been to Mexico several times, to the Bahia Akumal twice now and doing the all-inclusive deal on the Mayan Riviera is absolutely our favorite way to go! No hassels, no haggling, no constant sales pitches on the beach, just an absolutely relaxing vacation in breathtakingly beautiful surroundings. Staff at this resort are pleasant and helpful, always ready to smile and teach you a few words of Spanish. A couple quick tips:

ROOMS: If you're staying in a Jr. Suite (I think most people do), email the hotel a couple weeks before you leave and request Unit 69 (right next to the Gold Club units) or 45-47 (more convenient maybe). Request second or third floor rather than ground level for better security and less liklihood of "crawlies" - you are in the middle of the jungle, right? We had no multi-legged "visitors" but some ground level people did.
MONEY: We took about 60 Us one dollar bills for tipping at the resort and a handful of fives and that's about right. We left $1 for the maid every day, one in the fridge every second day and tipped $1 a round at night, $1 for buffet meals at lunch/dinner. By the end of the second week, people who didn't plan ahead were scrounging for "tip change" to leave. We left $5/couple for the ala carte dining. If you're planning on going off-site, take pesos with you (we took about $2,500 pesos and found it was just about right for our two weeks). You'll be killed on exchange on Cdn $ and the bank machine at the Hacienda was inconvenient. Bring cash - Rent the safe! It's $5 per day and billed to your room. We split the cost with another couple.
FOOD: We think anyone who couldn't find something they liked at that massive buffet definitely has a problem. La Dolce Vita by the activity pool is a scaled down version for breakfast and became our favorite morning spot (coffee's way better here, too). We thoroughly enjoyed the Oriental, the Seafood and International restaurants for dinner! The snack bar was our favorite place to grab lunch and play cards.
ENTERTAINMENT: We never did take in the evening shows but we did go dancing on the Tulum side in the Lounge. This larger lounge seemed more fun mostly because for some reason, people were letting their kids run free in the cocktail lounge on the Akumal side while we were there and it was a real distraction.
OTHER: The collectivo is not for the faint-hearted but it's way cheaper than a cab (example: cab to Tulum Ruins abt $20USD collectivo $1.50 per person, takes about the same length of time). We had no trouble leaving books/towels/bags on chairs to "reserve" them but you should do that before you go for breakfast if you're picky about where you sun. My husband dives and was able to book all his "Padi" stuff right at the resort. The more times you dive, the cheaper each one is. He had a blast, thought the diveshop guys were the greatest! You can't put dives on your bill but you can settle up at the diveshop the day before you leave (credit card is okay with them). The Internet Cafe at the Hacienda serves very stiff (delicious!) margaritas (abt 45 pesos ea) while you surf the net. Do not call from Mexico! Email your friend/family back home. Cost is 4 peso/minute. Cost for phones is outrageous never-mind any calling card plan you may have. DO ATTEND the orientation offered the first morning you're there. You'll pick up all sorts of useful information.

Whew. That's all I have. One last thing...if you're going there soon... would you take us with you in your suitcase? :-) We absolutely love this place and we just can't wait to go back!

37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia
Reviewed 4 February 2005

We stayed at the hotel last summer at the end of July. We had a wonderful holiday. The food was excellent at every meal. The staff were attentive and gave first class friendly service. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was always clean and well kept. The buildings were attractive and there was an excellent selection of restaurants and dining rooms.
The beach is fair. The swimming area was very shallow especilly at low tide so that swimming was limited. On the other hand the reef was very near and could be walked out to. The snorkeling was interesting and fun and we saw lots of different fishes. For families with small children the beach and swimming area is safe and ideal. We never failed to get a covered area on the beach. Our only criticism was that they did not have waiter service for drinks on the beach which we did have at the previous hotel we stayed at slightly north of this hotel. The bars were there but we had to go to the bars for our drinks.
The various swimming pools were beautifully designed, but getting beach chairs near them was limited. We would go to the beach or pool area first thing in the morning and leave a towel to book a seat. I am allergic to chlorine and found the chlorine to be very strong so that it hurt my eyes. My wife found it to be well within norms and enjoyed the pools.
The hotel shows were good but repeated in the second week. The kids shows were fun and the staff who dealt with the kids did a super job. The Hacienda and Hotel Shops gave good value and proved to be much cheaper than the shops at the tourist centres such as at Chichen Itza or Xcaret.
We met many delightful people among the other hotel guests. All said we had a wonderful holiday at the Akumal and would go back again.

12 Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 3 February 2005

I stayed at this resort with my family for 1 week in January, from the 16th to the 23rd. This was my 7th time in Mexico, my 4th stay in Mayan Riviera. The bottom line, this place was the worst resort I have stayed in Mexico so far, I have stayed at Aventura palace, barcelo maya, xpu-ha and palladium and I have enjoyed staying at each one of them.. First of all, the pool was icy cold and I and my family did not even go into the pool once for the fear of catching pneumonia. the beach was rocky and I couldn't go into the ocean for the fear of hurting my feet from the rocks (I guess, I should've brought aqua shoes). The buffet restaurant offered same food over and over and very boring..I ordered ribs from the snack bar once and it was just a burnt slab of pork fat which totally grossed me out, never ordered anything from the snack bar again.
The spa charged you for the usage of sauna, jacuzzi and steam room which was a first for me, and you are only allowed to use it for 30 minutes. that was pathetic. I have never knew a resort to charge you to use spa facilities.. This totally turned me off from getting any kind of spa treatments.
The two nice things I could say about this place is the rooms which were spacious and clean and the friendly staff. So, to sum it up, if you want to stay in your nice room for the whole vacation instead of swmming in the pool and ocean, this place will be perfect.
I personally would never, ever go back to this place.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2005

My husband and I and a group of 20 others just returned on Sunday from the Bahia Principe. We have been going to Mexico for the past several years, and this is our first visit to this hotel.

The hotel is beautiful and is spotless. We found the service to be excellent and our room very well maintained with a new surprise in our room every day. We even had a basket of fruit on our second day. The hotel is absolutely huge(1440 rooms), but they have suttles running every fifteen minutes. If you are accustomed to staying in an all inclusive, there are just a couple things that were different. There wasn't much of a selection for T.V. (we usually watch a movie after we go to the evening show) and most of the stations are in spanish. The beach area is rocky and you need to take shoes for the water. On Friday night, they had a Mexican Festia (and no evening show) that was an additional cost of $16.00 us per person. Also, on the T.V, the movie channels were available for your entire stay for an additional charge of $57.00 us. We are accustomed to having these things included. We had two couples who went this year who had never been to Mexico, and they really loved the facility. My husband's favorite restaurant was the Mexican, and my favorite was the International. If you're headed that way, ENJOY!! It's absolutely beautiful.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Edmonton
Reviewed 31 January 2005

This was our first trip to Mayan Riviera and my first trip to Mexico. I am glad we went and would be interested in trying other all-inclusives. The food is NOT great! Quite frankly, I enjoyed the sub and fries at the airport before we got on the plane back home! The resort has free bikes but they are pathetic and the guy that was hired to man them gave me an employees bike for a tip! The shows were entertaining and made me chuckle. Too bad the pools close early and the disco opens late (midnight). It is clean and I never felt crowded. Bring pants and/or a dress for the a la cartes!!!! If you get a good deal, then go here.

10 Thank ekb12
Door County, WI
Reviewed 28 January 2005

Hola! Our group of 4 returned on the 15th of Jan. I cannot believe the review written on the return of Jan. 17th! The food was very good in the buffet. If you could not find something you liked, sorry, but you ARE very picky. While the "theme" restaurants were not our favorites, we had a great steak meal in the Arlequin and we certainly enjoyed the variety the buffet offered. The beach was a little rocky in the water but with water shoes on it was certainly ok. The beach it self was very nice. As far as swimming in the pools, we NEVER lost our chairs or our towels. There was absolutely no problem finding a chair and keeping it all day if we wanted to. There were plenty of activities pool side if you wanted to be involved and plenty of quiet places to go and relax if you didn't. There were even a few beach weddings performed while we were there.
We very much enjoyed the night shows and not once during the week did they repeat any show. They were always different and very entertaining. We could not believe that the shows were put on by the staff and not trained professionals. Several times they even got audience members in the shows. A lot of fun but get there by 8 for the 9:00 show for a good seat. The ONLY thing I was disappointed in was the night life, or lack of. The pools did close too early and the only "late" entertainment was at the Hacinda which you need to take the trolley to. I was hoping for a little more fun at night when there weren't any kids around.
One thing is for sure...even tho the Packers lost their playoff game while we were there, I'm sure Mexico never seen a Packer party like ours! Forget the bad review mentioned above...go and you won't be disappointed!

20 Thank Jane2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!