Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
calgary alberta
Reviewed 8 February 2005

If anyone can find this hotel (bad) there is something wrong with them...i own a travel agency and have sent many many people here...i have personally stayed there numerous times, and found it the same everytime ..awesome!...it doesn not compare to the Barcelo Maya (reading the other review) the Bahia is without a doubt a 5 + star....the rooms are spacious, we opted for ocean front, and each morning we were able to sit and watch the ocean relaxing with coffee...
the showers are warm, the house keeping was excellent..the food was fabulous, we were treated top notch. The pools were excellent, the swim up bar was my favourite, and if they didn't have what i requested, they went and got it...the spa was another plus, execellent treatments....
........the entertainment was the best i have seen in mexico to date...you are supplied with bottled water to take to the beach, the kids can mix their own drinks at the beach bar, as well as adults, if desired...the one beach bar serves your drinks in coconut's, and it was fun to watch them cut it open and make them up...
indulge in some craft's on the beach, that was another fun...the trolly bus takes you across to shop, as well as to the night club and or next door to the tulum if you want a change in buffet, or fine dinning...
the beds were very comfortable....we had free bus service to go to play del carmen..
if i had any complaint, it was the two weeks went by too fast!..
go and enjoy!..you will love it, and try the martini bar !...

28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 8 February 2005

Just got back from a week at this resort (1/29-2/5) and it was pretty much everything I could have asked for. I thought the food was all pretty good. If you couldn't find something to eat at the buffet then you were too picky of an eater. We were in a huge group down there for a wedding and everyone was very happy with the food and the resort. I also ate at the seafood, mexican, and italian restauraunts. I liked all of them, the seafood wasn't a ht with everyone. make sure you make your dinner reservations when you get down there, things fill up fast. The 24 hour snack bar has a pretty good selection of junk food too and it is fast, if you don't like your food there then the cats that coem around at night will eat it for you.
The resort itself was very nice, everything was clean and well maintained. Plenty of staff around to help you with anything you need.

The pool area was very nice and no one ever had a problem getting a few chairs to sit on. yes people to put towels on them and claim spots, but we always found a place to sit. We found places to sit and always had 4-10 people in our group it seemed. Get your towels before the afternoon or the towel hut might be out of them. There are plenty of bars around for you to be able to grab an all-inclusive drink anytime you need one. Two nice pools at the Akumal side and 2 over at Tulum, we checked them all out and they were all pretty nice.
The beach did have some rocky parts, but in between the two resorts it was the nicest. It is not a long walk to make it to areas with a little more sand. The snorkeling right off the beach for free was nice too. There is a hut on the beach that will rent you snorkel gear for free for an hour. Just swim around out off the beach and you will see some fish. If you bring your own gear I think you can snorkel outside the ropes on the beach too. They never whistled at us to come inside the rope when we used our own gear...
There are things to do at night too. The staff was performing "Cats" when we were there. There was also a live music bar that served drinks and was a nice meeting place after dinner. You can grab a shuttle upto the Hacienda at the resort entrance and hit a few bars up there that are included. get a drink and walk around looking at souvenirs being made if you desire. The disco then opens up at midnight and goes until 2 or 3??? late enough that's for sure.

Some of the drinks are weak, I'm sure a request and possibly a dollar tip would change that. Eating a lot doesn't help if you want a buzz. I know Mai Tais all day followed by shots of Tequila can kick your a$$ if that is what you are looking for.

We made a trip to Xel-Ha for a day and it was well worth it. for 65 USD we were at the place from 8-5 and had 2 meals, snorkeled all over, did some tubing, jump off the cliff off courage and walked all around the place taking it in. Get your snorkel gear first and swim back into the bays. hit the cliff, then grab your tube to float out on. The Snuba and the Dolphins looked like fun but it was extra $ so we skipped it. Everything else took up plenty of our day.

Deep sea fishing didn't work out too well for us. 8 guys in our group went from 9:30 - 1:30 and didn't catch any big fish. I guess May is the time of year to be down there for that. We did get a good hour in of bottom fishing and caught some fish that way to bring a little excitement.

Overall this resort is pretty much everything I could want. I would go back. This time I might bring a big insulated mug to get my drinks in like a lot of the people down there were doing. The resort cups worked out all right though and I did need to carry a mug with me everywhere.
Just remember to take a few bananas with you when you snorkel. The fish will be all over you.

34  Thank LG-man
Reviewed 7 February 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Bahia Principe Akumal from January 29th to February 5th and have no regrets at all in choosing this resort.

I have read several other reviews and have these points to make:
- yes the pool was cold but then again they are not heated articially so when the temperature goes down at the night so does the temperature of the pool water. Note my sister stayed at another resort and their pool was also cold.
- the beaches are a bit rocky but were well groomed; if you had aqua shoes you will have no problems at all; my husband and I walked up and down the beach for hours.
- we had no problems with the restaurant service: in fact, we can say that it would hard to receive this level of service even in our own town
- the food was excellent (both at the a-la-carte and buffet restaurants) and so diverse that I don not understand anyone who could not find anything they liked
- our room was cleaned prompted everyday in the morning between 10h30 - 11h00 ( our choice) and our frig was also stocked up with all drinks and goodies we wish to have; 4 1-litre bottles of water are left everyday
- the reception and the staff were always helpful and we had no problems while we were there for money change, room service, transportation, etc.
- it is clearly marked in the travel documentation that certain activities were extra costs so it should not be a surprise to you
- location is great as we went everywhere using the public transport (Tulum, Xel-Ha and Turtle Bay) which was cheaper and more fun than taking a taxi

Remember to bring something warm to wear as it does get a little chilly at night.

In summary, remember you are on vacation and in a different country so don't expect everything to be exactly like home. We had an excellent time and would recommend this resort to anyone.

26  Thank Anita C
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2005

We stayed from Jan 8-22 and the weather was outstanding the entire time we were there!!! We've been to Mexico several times, to the Bahia Akumal twice now and doing the all-inclusive deal on the Mayan Riviera is absolutely our favorite way to go! No hassels, no haggling, no constant sales pitches on the beach, just an absolutely relaxing vacation in breathtakingly beautiful surroundings. Staff at this resort are pleasant and helpful, always ready to smile and teach you a few words of Spanish. A couple quick tips:

ROOMS: If you're staying in a Jr. Suite (I think most people do), email the hotel a couple weeks before you leave and request Unit 69 (right next to the Gold Club units) or 45-47 (more convenient maybe). Request second or third floor rather than ground level for better security and less liklihood of "crawlies" - you are in the middle of the jungle, right? We had no multi-legged "visitors" but some ground level people did.
MONEY: We took about 60 Us one dollar bills for tipping at the resort and a handful of fives and that's about right. We left $1 for the maid every day, one in the fridge every second day and tipped $1 a round at night, $1 for buffet meals at lunch/dinner. By the end of the second week, people who didn't plan ahead were scrounging for "tip change" to leave. We left $5/couple for the ala carte dining. If you're planning on going off-site, take pesos with you (we took about $2,500 pesos and found it was just about right for our two weeks). You'll be killed on exchange on Cdn $ and the bank machine at the Hacienda was inconvenient. Bring cash - Rent the safe! It's $5 per day and billed to your room. We split the cost with another couple.
FOOD: We think anyone who couldn't find something they liked at that massive buffet definitely has a problem. La Dolce Vita by the activity pool is a scaled down version for breakfast and became our favorite morning spot (coffee's way better here, too). We thoroughly enjoyed the Oriental, the Seafood and International restaurants for dinner! The snack bar was our favorite place to grab lunch and play cards.
ENTERTAINMENT: We never did take in the evening shows but we did go dancing on the Tulum side in the Lounge. This larger lounge seemed more fun mostly because for some reason, people were letting their kids run free in the cocktail lounge on the Akumal side while we were there and it was a real distraction.
OTHER: The collectivo is not for the faint-hearted but it's way cheaper than a cab (example: cab to Tulum Ruins abt $20USD collectivo $1.50 per person, takes about the same length of time). We had no trouble leaving books/towels/bags on chairs to "reserve" them but you should do that before you go for breakfast if you're picky about where you sun. My husband dives and was able to book all his "Padi" stuff right at the resort. The more times you dive, the cheaper each one is. He had a blast, thought the diveshop guys were the greatest! You can't put dives on your bill but you can settle up at the diveshop the day before you leave (credit card is okay with them). The Internet Cafe at the Hacienda serves very stiff (delicious!) margaritas (abt 45 pesos ea) while you surf the net. Do not call from Mexico! Email your friend/family back home. Cost is 4 peso/minute. Cost for phones is outrageous never-mind any calling card plan you may have. DO ATTEND the orientation offered the first morning you're there. You'll pick up all sorts of useful information.

Whew. That's all I have. One last thing...if you're going there soon... would you take us with you in your suitcase? :-) We absolutely love this place and we just can't wait to go back!

37  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 February 2005

We stayed at the hotel last summer at the end of July. We had a wonderful holiday. The food was excellent at every meal. The staff were attentive and gave first class friendly service. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was always clean and well kept. The buildings were attractive and there was an excellent selection of restaurants and dining rooms.
The beach is fair. The swimming area was very shallow especilly at low tide so that swimming was limited. On the other hand the reef was very near and could be walked out to. The snorkeling was interesting and fun and we saw lots of different fishes. For families with small children the beach and swimming area is safe and ideal. We never failed to get a covered area on the beach. Our only criticism was that they did not have waiter service for drinks on the beach which we did have at the previous hotel we stayed at slightly north of this hotel. The bars were there but we had to go to the bars for our drinks.
The various swimming pools were beautifully designed, but getting beach chairs near them was limited. We would go to the beach or pool area first thing in the morning and leave a towel to book a seat. I am allergic to chlorine and found the chlorine to be very strong so that it hurt my eyes. My wife found it to be well within norms and enjoyed the pools.
The hotel shows were good but repeated in the second week. The kids shows were fun and the staff who dealt with the kids did a super job. The Hacienda and Hotel Shops gave good value and proved to be much cheaper than the shops at the tourist centres such as at Chichen Itza or Xcaret.
We met many delightful people among the other hotel guests. All said we had a wonderful holiday at the Akumal and would go back again.

12  Thank Elizabeth D
toronto
Reviewed 3 February 2005

I stayed at this resort with my family for 1 week in January, from the 16th to the 23rd. This was my 7th time in Mexico, my 4th stay in Mayan Riviera. The bottom line, this place was the worst resort I have stayed in Mexico so far, I have stayed at Aventura palace, barcelo maya, xpu-ha and palladium and I have enjoyed staying at each one of them.. First of all, the pool was icy cold and I and my family did not even go into the pool once for the fear of catching pneumonia. the beach was rocky and I couldn't go into the ocean for the fear of hurting my feet from the rocks (I guess, I should've brought aqua shoes). The buffet restaurant offered same food over and over and very boring..I ordered ribs from the snack bar once and it was just a burnt slab of pork fat which totally grossed me out, never ordered anything from the snack bar again.
The spa charged you for the usage of sauna, jacuzzi and steam room which was a first for me, and you are only allowed to use it for 30 minutes. that was pathetic. I have never knew a resort to charge you to use spa facilities.. This totally turned me off from getting any kind of spa treatments.
The two nice things I could say about this place is the rooms which were spacious and clean and the friendly staff. So, to sum it up, if you want to stay in your nice room for the whole vacation instead of swmming in the pool and ocean, this place will be perfect.
I personally would never, ever go back to this place.

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
K.C. Missouri
Reviewed 3 February 2005

My husband and I and a group of 20 others just returned on Sunday from the Bahia Principe. We have been going to Mexico for the past several years, and this is our first visit to this hotel.

The hotel is beautiful and is spotless. We found the service to be excellent and our room very well maintained with a new surprise in our room every day. We even had a basket of fruit on our second day. The hotel is absolutely huge(1440 rooms), but they have suttles running every fifteen minutes. If you are accustomed to staying in an all inclusive, there are just a couple things that were different. There wasn't much of a selection for T.V. (we usually watch a movie after we go to the evening show) and most of the stations are in spanish. The beach area is rocky and you need to take shoes for the water. On Friday night, they had a Mexican Festia (and no evening show) that was an additional cost of $16.00 us per person. Also, on the T.V, the movie channels were available for your entire stay for an additional charge of $57.00 us. We are accustomed to having these things included. We had two couples who went this year who had never been to Mexico, and they really loved the facility. My husband's favorite restaurant was the Mexican, and my favorite was the International. If you're headed that way, ENJOY!! It's absolutely beautiful.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!