“Beautiful resort, plenty of dining options, wonderful accommodations!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Plymouth, MA
“Beautiful resort, plenty of dining options, wonderful accommodations!”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband and I traveled to the GBP Akumal for a destination wedding of his cousin. I believe there were about 32 family members in attendance on both sides and from the beginning it was a wonderful vacation! We booked from Boston to Cancun and the resort with Apple Vacation and got a great price, which included transfers to and from the hotel. We were lucky in that our ride there only had 1 other couple / 1 stop before ours and on our way back we went straight to the airport - so, if you're in a rush to get to the resort I suggest booking a private transfer. The resort is about 1 hour, 20 minutes or so (non-stop) from the airport. We were greeted with a nice cold drink and a quick check-in where we were brought to our villa which was conveniently located near the lobby (5212).

Room:
The room was big with a king sized bed, small couch, and a twin sized bed. It also had a well-apportioned bathroom, good closet space with shelves, a safe, and a balcony. The air conditioning worked great, especially with the ceiling fans on - but remember to ensure the balcony sliding door is shut all the way or the A/C stops running! Our fridge was stocked with beer, a bottle of champagne, soda, and juices. Our turndown service was lovely each night, with different towel animals waiting for us to come back home! At least 3 of the nights we also had a plate of specialty desserts waiting for us as well - fantastic! The bed was a bit firm, but it's comparable to most Mexican/Carribbean resort mattresses and I do know they will bring you a pad if you request it (we never did).

Pools/Beach:
The pool was large and it winded throughout a nice patio area with both a bar on the ground and a swim-up bar in the pool. It was very clean and refreshing. Seating in the pool area could get limited by late morning so I suggest getting out there early to get a spot. There is also a jaccuzzi pool near the villas in the 7000s (I believe) which we didn't find until our last day but it's awesome! Cool water jaccuzzis, uncrowded, it's own bar, and a row of hammocks.

The beach is wonderful - portions of it are naturally and full of rough coral in the water, but a very large portion has a manmade breakwater which creates a lagoon-like swimming area, with lots of tropical fish! No snorkel or fins needed in this area - just look down! There is a great beach bar with swings instead of stools and good drinks and music. I parked myself under a little hut near the bar for a few of the days and enjoyed reading, relaxing, and soaking up the rays! The beach had a lot more space and chairs were readily available almost all day long.

Spa:
One of the mornings, my husband and I went and got a couples massage at the spa. It was a relaxation massage and it was wonderful! Prices are reasonable, for a resort spa, and the women who work in the spa were very kind and helpful. It was an hour to truly enjoy being on vacation together.

Food/Dining:
I have to admit that I had a horrible experience at my last all-inclusive so I had no expectations when it came to the food at this resort. And the GBP Akumal totally blew me away! The buffet food was fantastic and I never had an issue with the temperature of the food or any of the vast selections. We ate in the buffet for breakfast each morning, lunch daily, and 4 of our dinners - granted, when you try new things you're bound not to like it all but I had some amazing food there. The service in the buffet could be improved a bit - often times we were waiting a while to get drinks and sometimes it was a bit confusing as to where we "could" sit. Although the waiters were funny in the situation saying it would be "in a Mexican minute".

We had a la carte dinners at the Japanese restaurant and the Mediterranean restaurant at Coba. Everything was fantastic at the Japanese restaurant except the filet was *not* filet quality meat. It was low grade steak. But, the service, the chicken, rice, sushi, and everything else was PHENOMENAL. The Mediterranean restaurant was also very very good - I had the seared tuna and it was amazing. My husband had an eggplant with goat cheese meal and it was also very, very good. Service at the Mediterranean was also great! One word of caution: make reservations at the a la carte restaurants upon arrival. We didn't follow this advice and we ended up with minimal selection and late dinner times (9:00pm, 10:00pm).

The wedding dinner was at the Italian restaurant at Akumal and the food was delicious and the service was great here as well.

There is also a Snack Shack which is over by the Italian restaurant and the Golden club that is open all day and night where you can get munchy food - I saw a lot of families with small kids here during lunch time as they had chicken nuggets, fries, hot dogs, etc...

Golf:
My husband and many of the family membrs golfed multiple times during the trip. The fees were included with our group, however the cart fee was not and that was about $65.00 or so. There is a shuttle van that picks you up at the lobby and brings you back - and you can also for a small fee leave your clubs locked up at the clubhouse. Everyone who golfed said it was the most gorgeous course they've ever played. And that is saying a lot for people like my husband and brother-in-law who have golfed all over the US and Carribbean. The rounds took about 4-6 hours, so be prepared for that. They stock your cart with sandwiches and there is a beverage (tequila!) and snack cart that also seems to follow you around. Everyone who went enjoyed it and most went more than once.

Nightlife:
We unfortunately didn't see any of the shows and my husband and I personally didn't go to the discoteca at Tulum, but other family members did and said it was a really good time. We spent a lot of time in the lounge which is to the right of the large theatre room where they have the shows and the service in the lounge was great! There was always a 3-4 person band playing nice music and it was a great place to meet up with the family and have some drinks. This is also where we went after the wedding dinner as sort of the "reception".

Overall:
The resort was amazing overall! Very clean, very nice staff (every time I passed one walking, he/she would make a point to say Hola), and great service. It is a VERY LARGE resort, not even including the two other resorts on property, but for those in shape it was nice walking and for those not able they have golf cart-like trolleys that bring you to your room, to the other resorts, and/or to the hacienda which run regularly. One drawback was with a group as large as ours, sometimes it made meeting up with one another difficult and so if you are in a similar situation, I would suggest bringing portable walkie talkies or something similar.

Unfortunately, it was an abnormally rainy week where we had rain at night and during some of the days. But, we still managed to enjoy ourselves and spend enough time in the sun to come home with a tan! I would highly recommend this resort to others - it has totally won me back on all-inclusives and I would return as a guest without hesitation!

PS:
One excursion we did which I would highly recommend was the Xplor adventure. We went zip-lining, swimming in a cenote, paddle rafting in a cenote, and drove amphibeous vehicles in and out of caves, etc... We had a total blast and it was well worth it!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank KAllan07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,985)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I've stayed at GBP Akumal for six nights (it was supposed to be seven but the hotel offered us the last night at Riu Cancun) from April 26th to May 2th.
When we arrived we were extremelly well received with a cocktail and an a very helpful staff. We were at room 5111 which was everything we could ask for (big, confortable and clean - even the beds were wonderful despite some reviews here that said the contrary). The grounds, as mentioned in almost every review, were amazingly well kepts with people always working.
On the matter of food, I ate at both Akumal and Tulum buffets as well as at tree all-carte restaurants (Arlequim, Dolce Vitta and Tequilla) - all of them were fantastic!!
Last but not least, regarding the beach, it is true that it has some rocks but in my opinion nothing special (I'm refering particulary to Coba beach because I didn't spend many time at the others).
Overall, I recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to spend a great time at the Mexican Riviera!

1 Thank Mup3t
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 5 May 2010

We stayed at the "Royal Golden Club" which definitely was not worth the extra charge they requested. The "advantage" to other parts of the huge complex was, that in the morning you could pick up computer printed version of a newspaper... Our room was a so called junior suite - rather dark and muffy. The "jacuzzi" was very loud and aged, we preferred to take shower. The TV set was from the 1980´s - ocassionally out of work. The minibar was filled every other day, mainly after we called the reception and asked them to re-fill it. Other people always put some dollar notes inside to make sure their minibar is refilled.
The hotel complex is huge, the transportation system is OK unless it rains and nobody wants to walk the long distances. The beach was mostly crowded - everybody playing the stupid towel game, so if you came to beach or pool around 9 am, you had no chance to get a chair... The poopls were great although some - especially with swim up bars, were far from clean.
The food in the buffets was OK for a 3 star hotel but definitely not for a 5 star one. You can try to get place in an a la carte restaurant, some are nice but you always get the inpression that you shoudl leave quickly as more people are coming. We went e.g. to the Brazilian restaurant - the cold buffet was nice yet the meat had nothing in common with Brazilian churacarias.
The drinks at the bars were all watered - you could get normal drinks if you gave a "tip".- I dont mind giving tips but find it ridiculous to tip to get something I paid for when buying teh all inclusive package...
The hotel grounds were beautiful and the staff very friendly. The hotel is far from everything - there are some stores but prices are much higher than in local stores, e.g. a pack of cigarettes costs 5 USD.
There are 3 beaches, for most you will need shoes and none of them is good for swimming as there are huge bags of sand approx. 50 meters from the shore.
There are certainly nicer hotels in the Riviera Maya - the Bahia Principe is OK for one week, but you will get bored sooner or later.

2 Thank Boris2001
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2010

-OVERALL: great resort. The staff & management strive to make the guests happy with their stay, specifically with direct service provided. For example, supervisors & managers often visible and ensuring that quality service upheld. They would come around often and ask if everything is OK, anything else we can do for you. This happened often in the buffet section of the resort.

-the resort is not brand new, however it certainly did not look tired & pooched. They work very hard to maintain the gardens, general maintenance of the property etc.

-front desk friendly & accommodating. Switched my Mom's room closer to ours without difficulty. FREE WI-FI in main lobby for those travelling with laptops.

-ENTERTAINMENT: I was surprisingly impressed with the nightly shows. I say that because I read reviews prior to my time there; not so flattering. We had a great time every night and always looked forward to the next night. We attended all shows and loved them all. Great dancing, great costumes, great performances! Way to go Akumal!

-FOOD & DRINK: buffet at breakfast- omlettes, bacon, yogourt & fruit very good at breakfast. Lots of choices for ALL. Lunch- lots of fresh salads & also lots of other things to choose from. Tasted great, hot and fresh. Supper also very good with different menus every night. Enjoyed the soft ice-cream machine! Waiters do a great job.

-lots of variety with a la carte restaurants. With 3 resorts in 1 complex means more places to choose from. Need to take shuttle to restaurants at other resorts (Tulum, Coba)

BEACH: very clean; workers raking sand and picking up cups & garbage. Lots of loungers. Water lovely....breakwalls present in some areas and provide great protection from the waves. We thought that Akumal has a better beach than Tulum.

POOLS: lovely & warm!!

ROOMS: Good decor, very clean. No bugs. Housekeeping great.

TRANSPORTATION: Unless someone has physical limitations, getting around Akumal was great on foot. Also, handicapped friendly with shuttle around resort and ramps on resort. As far as going to Tulum or Coba resorts, shuttle is suggested...far distances. VERY BIG COMPLEX when moving around among the resorts. Shuttles needed better maintenance....engine light on one of them, burning oil. They should upgrade their shuttle vehicles.

PET PEEVE: Key to door system old. Need to upgrade to electronic card system. Also, they charge $5/day for security lock box in room. Didn't like that too much. Lock box should be included & should be combination, not key entry.
That's it!

AREA: Riviera Mayan- great destination. Lots of things to see and do in the area. Many daytrip tours to choose from. Not far to Playa del Carmen for shopping. We felt safe & secure. The people are friendly. Many people are good with English and so communicating with the staff was very easy.

-So many resorts to choose from in the area. Makes the decision tough I know. We really did enjoy our stay there. Someday we will visit this destination again and would definately consider returning to this resort.

Good luck with your vacation decision-making! CHEERS!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paradise4us
Maxwell,On
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We arrived late and ended up in the wrong lobby. We were suppose to be in the Royal Golden Club Lobby. The bell boy quickly loaded our lugguge into the golf cart and transported us to the RGC lobby. We were greated with smiles and drinks. When we arrived to our room I was so happy to see that the room had a king size bed, a double bed for my 14 yr old and and the sofa made up into a single bed for my 8 yr old. Already made up and ready, they had thought of all the details. Our room was cleaned and stocked daily. We were on the 2nd floor close to the ocean so we had a very quiet room with no noise from neighbors.
The resort is perfect. Lots of trees with great landscaping. You can see the ocean from the pools. The ocean has sands bags which blocks alot of the waves so swimming is safe for kids. The snorkleing is great right off the Alumal beach. Take you water shoes as there are some rocks and corel. I was able to see may fish I had not seen before. We loved the A La Carts. The Mikado was the best. Each night after dinner we drove on the golf carts around to the other 2 sections, Coba and Tulum. I believe that the Akumul section has the best pools and beach as we love to snorkel. We plan on going back. I would recommend this resort to anyone. We have been to DR and Cuba and always stay 5 star. This resort tops them all.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank stewartstravel
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2010

This was our 8th time at this resort. Staff were exceptional and very accomodating to our requests.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Manitoba
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I travelled to this resort for a 3 night getaway April 17-20 with two other friends (would have loved to stay longer but we are all mommies with little ones and it was our first solo trip away from our families in a while!). We got a great deal with our flight via Westjet and booked the Coba on the recommendation of my travel agent. We were upgraded to the Akumal upon arrival.
I've flown into Cancun's airport a number of times and things have always gone smoothly but this time around was a gong show. About 8 flights arrived all at once and so tons of people were randomly joining the red light/green light line which set off quite a few nasty exchanges of words. We took it all with a grain of salt but we were definitely in the airport for close to two hours! For the first time, I had a separate resort transfer via Ibero and it was fantastic to go straight to the resort without any stops for only $40cdn round trip.
When we arrived at the Coba, it was storming and had been for the past few days so they offered us an upgrade to the Akumal Golden Club (saying in case it kept raining, at least we could look at the beach, lol!) They offered us one of the two buildings right on the beach which was fantastic of them but we settled for building 80, further away, so we could have two double beds instead. The upgrade was great - our safe was free, robes/slippers/beach towels in room, free internet and services at the club golden, an extra a la carte and had we stayed over a Thursday, free tickets to the Mexican fiesta.
Our room was great. It was on the ground floor and we felt very safe there. We didn't notice a musty smell while there but I did smell it once I got home! The beds are hard but we still slept well after all the fresh air and sun. We only had coolish showers once, amenities in the room were great and we were impressed with the great selection in the mini bar (two kinds of juice, 4 kinds of pop, beer, water, snacks) and our prompt cleaning service mid-morning. Our room was further from the beach but it still took less than 5 minutes to walk anywhere and the jacuzzi pool was about 30 seconds away - score! We did have one weird jumping bug in our room, kind of like a grasshopper but we weren't overly freaked out about it - it's very reasonable to expect a bug in your room on the main floor in Mexico! Saw two mosquitoes the whole trip.
Despite what people say, there is a lot of signage to direct you. There are large maps here and there that show where you are as well as low signposts at any junction in the paths to tell you what rooms and buildings are in each direction. Unfortunately, there is no personal guide for each person, lol!
The food was great. Almost too much selection at the buffets. We ate at the Akumal one night, the Coba the other and found the Coba bigger, more dessert selection and noted the cool kid's buffet. Service was fine at both. Ate breakfast at the Cozumel and a beach front building, both were great, nice atmosphere but the Akumal was overwhelming for breakfast as well. Ate lunches at the beach side small buffets but went into Akumal lobby the last day and it was the only time we thought a restaurant was packed. Our one a la carte was at Arlequin and we loved it, especially the caviar to start compliments of the chef! Snack bar by the beach was great - food always hot and yummy! I definitely ate my fill of guacamole. I had some stomach troubles on the way home but kind of wondering if it was more of a flu than food related. Enjoyed the drinks, as well and thought the self serve slushy (bottles of rum/vodka to mix if you want), beer, drinks and icecream were nice touches. Never waited long for anything. we tipped and could tell is was appreciated but never really found it busy enough anywhere for us to notice a difference in faster service, etc.
Grounds were beautiful. Always lots of people maintaining it. Iguanas EVERYWHERE! Kids club looked a little dilapidated - such a big resort could really use a decent playground! When we have been other places with our kids, they spent a good hour or so each day running around playgrounds. Pools were great - activity pool was noisy but it's the activity pool! The meandering free form pools were beautiful and relaxing - loved the jacuzzis and shallow shelves to sun in the water. The towel game is definitely an issue but we didn't sweat it, still always found chairs somewhere. Wandered over to Tulum and their pool was even better! The beach was nice enough, not as picturesque as the one on the Tulum side due to the sandbagging but on the other hand, that made it great for kids.
We were really impressed with the prices in the lobby gift shops and at the hacienda. I've shopped in playa before and it was very comprable, especially since you didn't need to spend the time and money (although it's cheap to get to playa) on top of your purchases. Since we were there for such a short time it was nice to pick up treats for our kids right in the comfort of the resort.
Some people complain about the trolley service but it isn't bad at all. We found through the day, they came very frequently. You had to wait a little longer earlier in the dinner time but that made sense because so many more people were out and heading to the same destinations for reservations at the same time. It was beautiful in the evenings, so we just allowed for a bit of extra time and enjoyed the air. It was also fun to hop on a trolley and check out the other resorts. We discovered the neat little boardwalk of 5-6 shops by the Cozumel restaurant in Coba and bought most of our goodies there.
We only had two small complaints. The first was that they had no record of the dinner reservation we had emailed to make and was confirmed a week in advance (wanted to get our first choice as we were only there for 3 nights). I forgot to bring the reservation number, of course! We ended up getting in somewhere similar a little later so it wasn't a huge issue in the end. The other complaint was with our check out. There was a group of about 10 different parties ahead of us and at least 10 behind us all changing money at the same counter as check out. I don't know how they were changing the money but we literally waited an hour in line to check out with two people serving those 10 parties. We didn't check out until after 1pm! They knew it was their fault, though. I can understand serving people for currency exchange at the same time as check outs at other times in the day but not right around noon at the actual check out time - they should have a separate line for that segment of the day.
Anyways, loved it, loved it, loved it. Can't wait to go back!

2 Thank steinn1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!