My husband and I traveled to the GBP Akumal for a destination wedding of his cousin. I believe there were about 32 family members in attendance on both sides and from the beginning it was a wonderful vacation! We booked from Boston to Cancun and the resort with Apple Vacation and got a great price, which included transfers to and from the hotel. We were lucky in that our ride there only had 1 other couple / 1 stop before ours and on our way back we went straight to the airport - so, if you're in a rush to get to the resort I suggest booking a private transfer. The resort is about 1 hour, 20 minutes or so (non-stop) from the airport. We were greeted with a nice cold drink and a quick check-in where we were brought to our villa which was conveniently located near the lobby (5212).
The room was big with a king sized bed, small couch, and a twin sized bed. It also had a well-apportioned bathroom, good closet space with shelves, a safe, and a balcony. The air conditioning worked great, especially with the ceiling fans on - but remember to ensure the balcony sliding door is shut all the way or the A/C stops running! Our fridge was stocked with beer, a bottle of champagne, soda, and juices. Our turndown service was lovely each night, with different towel animals waiting for us to come back home! At least 3 of the nights we also had a plate of specialty desserts waiting for us as well - fantastic! The bed was a bit firm, but it's comparable to most Mexican/Carribbean resort mattresses and I do know they will bring you a pad if you request it (we never did).
The pool was large and it winded throughout a nice patio area with both a bar on the ground and a swim-up bar in the pool. It was very clean and refreshing. Seating in the pool area could get limited by late morning so I suggest getting out there early to get a spot. There is also a jaccuzzi pool near the villas in the 7000s (I believe) which we didn't find until our last day but it's awesome! Cool water jaccuzzis, uncrowded, it's own bar, and a row of hammocks.
The beach is wonderful - portions of it are naturally and full of rough coral in the water, but a very large portion has a manmade breakwater which creates a lagoon-like swimming area, with lots of tropical fish! No snorkel or fins needed in this area - just look down! There is a great beach bar with swings instead of stools and good drinks and music. I parked myself under a little hut near the bar for a few of the days and enjoyed reading, relaxing, and soaking up the rays! The beach had a lot more space and chairs were readily available almost all day long.
One of the mornings, my husband and I went and got a couples massage at the spa. It was a relaxation massage and it was wonderful! Prices are reasonable, for a resort spa, and the women who work in the spa were very kind and helpful. It was an hour to truly enjoy being on vacation together.
I have to admit that I had a horrible experience at my last all-inclusive so I had no expectations when it came to the food at this resort. And the GBP Akumal totally blew me away! The buffet food was fantastic and I never had an issue with the temperature of the food or any of the vast selections. We ate in the buffet for breakfast each morning, lunch daily, and 4 of our dinners - granted, when you try new things you're bound not to like it all but I had some amazing food there. The service in the buffet could be improved a bit - often times we were waiting a while to get drinks and sometimes it was a bit confusing as to where we "could" sit. Although the waiters were funny in the situation saying it would be "in a Mexican minute".
We had a la carte dinners at the Japanese restaurant and the Mediterranean restaurant at Coba. Everything was fantastic at the Japanese restaurant except the filet was *not* filet quality meat. It was low grade steak. But, the service, the chicken, rice, sushi, and everything else was PHENOMENAL. The Mediterranean restaurant was also very very good - I had the seared tuna and it was amazing. My husband had an eggplant with goat cheese meal and it was also very, very good. Service at the Mediterranean was also great! One word of caution: make reservations at the a la carte restaurants upon arrival. We didn't follow this advice and we ended up with minimal selection and late dinner times (9:00pm, 10:00pm).
The wedding dinner was at the Italian restaurant at Akumal and the food was delicious and the service was great here as well.
There is also a Snack Shack which is over by the Italian restaurant and the Golden club that is open all day and night where you can get munchy food - I saw a lot of families with small kids here during lunch time as they had chicken nuggets, fries, hot dogs, etc...
My husband and many of the family membrs golfed multiple times during the trip. The fees were included with our group, however the cart fee was not and that was about $65.00 or so. There is a shuttle van that picks you up at the lobby and brings you back - and you can also for a small fee leave your clubs locked up at the clubhouse. Everyone who golfed said it was the most gorgeous course they've ever played. And that is saying a lot for people like my husband and brother-in-law who have golfed all over the US and Carribbean. The rounds took about 4-6 hours, so be prepared for that. They stock your cart with sandwiches and there is a beverage (tequila!) and snack cart that also seems to follow you around. Everyone who went enjoyed it and most went more than once.
We unfortunately didn't see any of the shows and my husband and I personally didn't go to the discoteca at Tulum, but other family members did and said it was a really good time. We spent a lot of time in the lounge which is to the right of the large theatre room where they have the shows and the service in the lounge was great! There was always a 3-4 person band playing nice music and it was a great place to meet up with the family and have some drinks. This is also where we went after the wedding dinner as sort of the "reception".
The resort was amazing overall! Very clean, very nice staff (every time I passed one walking, he/she would make a point to say Hola), and great service. It is a VERY LARGE resort, not even including the two other resorts on property, but for those in shape it was nice walking and for those not able they have golf cart-like trolleys that bring you to your room, to the other resorts, and/or to the hacienda which run regularly. One drawback was with a group as large as ours, sometimes it made meeting up with one another difficult and so if you are in a similar situation, I would suggest bringing portable walkie talkies or something similar.
Unfortunately, it was an abnormally rainy week where we had rain at night and during some of the days. But, we still managed to enjoy ourselves and spend enough time in the sun to come home with a tan! I would highly recommend this resort to others - it has totally won me back on all-inclusives and I would return as a guest without hesitation!
One excursion we did which I would highly recommend was the Xplor adventure. We went zip-lining, swimming in a cenote, paddle rafting in a cenote, and drove amphibeous vehicles in and out of caves, etc... We had a total blast and it was well worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an no additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (no additional charge) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Agoda, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe