“Wonderful Vacation!”

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Vacation!”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Villas Maya Bungalows at Akumal with our children and 2 grandsons, 6 and 8. We had two bungalows and it was perfect! Spacious, clean, a little funky but a perfect spot for us. The kids loved the pool, the adults loved the beach and swimming out to watch the turtles feed. It could not have been more perfect! We had great meals at Turtle Bay and loved our day snorkeling at Yakul Lagoon, just down the road!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Hebrew first
North Carolina
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel in July 2013 after a 6-day church mission trip in Mexil Yucatan. It was like paradise after living in a small village for 6-days. The rooms were comfortable, nice showers, cold A/C. The bed could have been a little more comfortable but after 6 sleepless nights in a hammock, it did the trick. The snorkeling was amazing. We saw plenty of turtles, squid and fish of all types. I would recommend it to those in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I complete agree with the previous post. The beach was wonderful. Clean sand and water with awesome weather. The food was a knockout. We never had a bad meal the 5 days there. The service was 5 star. Bar tenders, waitstaff, and cleaning crew were top notch. The negatives were the awful wifi service, some ants in the room and the beds were too hard. The positives outweigh the negatives by far !!! Thanks to all the staff for making a great trip. We would love to come back to akumal and the wonderful resort and town.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank JPH7916
Akumal2u, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our place and the food! I wanted to let you know that we just got a separate wi fi connection for the hotel rooms and this will certainly help make the signal stronger. Lolha Beach bar was sucking all the connectivity from the rooms. Now we should be better! Also, we will be changing out the mattresses little by little for the bungalows, and we will be taking out all concrete bases in the Beach Front rooms and brand new mattresses there. A good night's sleep is so important!
Thank you again!

Laura B Wolfe
Owner
Ladera Ranch, California
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel Akumal Caribe in the bungalows...and wanted to leave after the first night. The bungalow I stayed in was old (but large), had an incredibly hard mattress, had lots of people walking past three large, ground-level windows, had lousy wifi reception AND did not have curtains that went all the way across the windows.

Since I was stuck there for 4 days, my wife talked me into making the best of it. While waking up with a cranky back is never fun, I did come to find that there are three really great things about this hotel that make the accommodations (almost) worth it.

The first is the beach. It is literally steps from your room. The beach is very, very popular for snorklers, many of whom are in very large group. It turns out that the large groups are from other hotels. Guest of the Akumal Caribe can walk right up, grab a guide and be off in the water. The snorkeling is fantastic - we say many turtles and fish, along with one giant and nasty-looking barracuda. The beach is busy but peaceful, with a special section cordoned off for guests.

The second is the food. I was very pleasantly surprised that the food was really, really good. Lots of variety for both Mexican and international dishes - all of it was delicious.

The third is the staff. They know that Akumal Caribe is a little long in the tooth so they seem to make up for it with plain old effort. Not everyone speaks the best English but everyone seems focused on making your stay enjoyable.

While on day 1 I was ready to leave but the end of day 4 I was planning to come back - this time with my kids! Hopefully by that time they'll have fixed the awful beds in the bungalows!

Room Tip: If you don't mind old rooms and rock-hard beds, the bungalows are big.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheBFCE
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This hotel is very simple, clean. Staff are friendly. I found the beds and linens to be comfortable, nice balcony and great restaurant/ bar Lol-ha.

The rooms did not get wifi very well when I stayed but the bar did.

Water cooler in room.

Definitely, feels like a place that people return to every year, staff seemed to know and remember people from years past which I thought was nice.

Beach is gorgeous, but seriously….so much plastic and garbage it made my heart break. Here you have turtles, stingrays gorgeous fish. All of the hotels in the area should make an effort to clean the beach. The beachfront in from of Akumal CAribe is fine and then you walk a few steps off the property and there's plastic on the shore. I went to Tulum and Isla Mujeres after Akumal---there you do not see any garbage, plastic on the beach--so I think this could be helped more.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank woolloomoolo
Yakima, WA
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We had a wonderful stay. We typically stay in Villas with The Westin so this is a different style and different quality. While not as upscale as The Westin, it is clean and comfortable accommodations. 5 gallon water jug in the room. We had a totally wonderful stay. Staff throughout were kind and helpful. Restaurant 100 feet away was just great. Swimming and snorkeling was OUTSTANDING with many large sea turtles, manta rays, colorful fish and so forth. Equipment rental also 100 feet from the units. We had a Garden Room and really liked the private garden, hammock and sitting area to enjoy the birds and sunshine. Ocean is very safe for children and plenty to see so I recommend for families too, even though this trip was just my wife and I. I purchase Spa massages for my wife and a spouse to a couple we have gotten to know in Mexico, and they gave great reviews of the treatments (Note: My wife gets massages on all of our trips so is well experienced in knowing quality like she received here).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maa3737
Berkshires, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Our two-day stay culminated a vacation that began with a week in a strikingly gorgeous hotel in the heart of Merida, followed by a magnificent overnight in a Guesthouse in Valladolid. Our bungalow at Hotel Akumal Caribe was okay but far from perfect, e.g provided no view whatsoever of the beach. The double beds were as hard as a rock – due to aging mattresses on cement blocks that serve as box-springs. So, be sure to request a foam topper, if you suffer from a back problem. The over-sized bath towels showed wear and tear most likely due to serving as beach blankets and throws for the outdoor lounge chairs. The flimsy shower curtain in the bathroom was practically useless. However, the minuses were offset to some degree by the exceptionally pleasant staff, the Lol Ha Restaurant whose decked looked out on the water, the beautiful beach with its fine white sand and the presence of the sea turtles. The restaurant’s offerings were good but nothing fell into the memory-producing category. There are other resort hotels in the area along the Bay, many at higher prices. Of course, the location of the Akumal Hotel Caribe is hard to beat. But, if you’re picky as to quality and comfort, looking into other hotels in the vicinity may be the best way to go. At least consider a room in the hotel section of the complex which overlooks the beach, and may offer more quality and comfort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HalMags
Akumal2u, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
I am sorry our bungalows did not meet your expectations. We recognize that we need to upgrade these rooms, but we have started with the Ocean Front rooms first. It's a work in progress and being the oldest property on the coastline, we have a hard time keeping up with the new developments. We know we have a wonderful location, we just have to work hard so we can continue our upgrades on the property. I hope you visit us in the future and consider staying in one of our remodeled rooms.

Laura B Wolfe