5,919 results
All reviewsribsthe white sandsadult poolthe salt water poola la carte restaurantsfishel doradosports barmain poolmayan suitetravel clubpunta emiliajunior suitewhite partysegway tourriviera lobbysomething for everyone
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Yes, second time in this hotel and it was even better than the first time. I'm already planning the third stay for late December this year. I've seen on Tripadvisor many well deserved reviews from returning guests. Thank you for taking care of my request to accommodate my family and my cousin's family on the same floor!
The resort is huge and very nice blended with nature. Lots of wildlife. I especially liked the shaded paths from my room to the reception and to the main pool. After a hearty meal, walking was the best thing to do. The resort is spread out on a huge area, so it's never crowded. I've been over the Christmas period but I'm a little late posting this review now.
Stayed in block 6, first floor and the room was very clean and large. No need to use the air condition during the night. There were no mosquitoes. The only downside was the uncomfortable pillow. I waked up every morning with the birds song, very nice way to start a day. Food was gorgeous, huge choices at the buffet to meet with all tastes. I enjoyed the Italian and the Mediterranean restaurants as well. We even have lobster at the Christmas eve dinner. Good point that you don't have to pay to eat in the a la carte restaurants. Usually in European all inclusive hotels you have to pay for a la carte. I never tried the Brazilian restaurant, next time I will hopefully do.
The pools are huge, great animation team especially for kids. My son enjoyed water polo and quiz contests. Too bad that the archery contest never took place because lack of participants, as well as the Spanish lessons.
Nice Spa with plenty free facilities, not as crowded as I expected. Just be prepared to give the room card as a guarantee for the towels and locker. They gave me the wrong card at departure, so I had to go at the reception for a replacement card.
Weather in December is perfect, very pleasant for outside sports like tennis. Nice live shows in the evening. Beach is nice, but not as nice as the beaches near Tulum. So I encourage you to hire a car to drive around, don't get stuck with the resort. The beaches in Tulum are gorgeous, stretching from the Tulum maya ruins to Boca Paila. There are many things to see around: wonderful fresh water cenote, adventure parks like Xplore, Xcaret and Xel-Ha theme parks, maya ruins, Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve. Near Akumal town there's a beach where you can swim with marine turtles. The ATV tours are an interesting way to see the jungle... Just watch out where you park in Puerto del Carmen, we ended up without the rear plate - as a guarantee for the fine.
The only downside of my stay was the weekly dinner on the beach which wasn't as I expected. Very poor choices compared with the buffet. And a lot of coatis disturbing us ... please don't feed them, they became too naughty!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank gabysb
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear gabysb,

I would like to give you thank you for your good comments.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything or with your reservation for December.

Banesa Burque

Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed in The colonial between 5 and 19 of May.
The hotel is huge even after reading the reviews you do not realise how big this resort is. However once you got your bearing and found the short cuts you did get used to the size.
We stayed in block 21 which was central to most areas. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was great.Our cleaner Laura did an excellent job of ensuring our room was well presented and her towel art was amazing.

The buffets were a little hit and miss.The breakfast was very good however you did sometimes have to wait ages for coffee to be served and not once did you have a teaspoon to stir your tea or coffee if you take sugar. Having said that the food was always hot.
The buffet at lunchtime was very good whether you eat by the pool or in the main restaurant.
The evening buffet was not that great the food was more often than not luke warm.
The A La Cartes we tried were the Asian ,Ribs & More The Brazilian and the Italian Portofino. Our favourite was the Italian. The food was always hot and the service was excellent. Our waiter Nelson was really good. The Ribs & more well the steak was very good however the rest of the meal which was Jacket potatoe sweetcorn and 1 onion ring was all cold.

The Pools
All the pools were very clean.They did have a pool for all types of people.The main pool could become very noisy however if this was not your cup of tea they had the adults pool which were quiet and comfortable. We used the adults pool at the White sands alot. The barman Santos was a credit to the hotel. He was always cheerful helpful and he used to come aroun the sunbeds at least 3 times to ask if you wanted a drink.We did try the other adult pool but by the middle of the day the pool always was full of flys and no waiter service.There was never a problem getting sunbeds there was always plenty to be had by the pools.

Wildlife

This was amazing. This was our 3rd visit to Mexico and where we saw the most wildlife and beautiful coloured birds.

Entertainment
We went to 2 shows at the riviera. The Forever Rock which was very good and The Pirate Show which I didnt enjoy at all.Transportation backi to the colonial was a nightmare once the shows had finished. We walked back however some people were waiting up to 50 mins as the train only took 20 people at a time and it was definately a free for all to get on.
Entertainment in the Colonial lobby could have been better. They all seemed to sing the same songs and I did feel at weekends it was very much catered for the Mexican weekend visitors.

Trips
We went to Coba which we booked through Thomson. The day was very good and the trip very professional. It was well worth $110 each.
We also went to Coco Bongo in Playa Del Carmen. This we booked by the pool at one of the Coco bongo sites.It was great we paid $65 each which included speedy entrance. We were looked after very well. This place is amazing you cant see a show like this anywhere else in this area.

Well we did have a really great holiday my only complaint was as the resort was so big you never had the same waiter at your meals or at the bars. I did miss the repore you have with the staff.

The hotel and grounds are immaculate.

Would I return I dont know I think I would prefer a smaller hotel and perhaps nearer Playa Del Carmen. I did feel a little isolated there was nothing to see outside the complex without catching a bus.

Room Tip: High Floor as the ice machines are on the ground floor and can be quite noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan S

Dear mogsy,

Thank you for share with us your comments. All comments, positive and negative is help for improve our work every day.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Sincerelly,

Banesa Burque

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the end of April to beginning of May, staying on the Colonial site, villa 7, which was quite centralised.
Yes it is huge, but you needed a walk after all the food that was consumed! and, I'm sorry, but if you resorted to taking the buggies or train all the time, you were very lazy and you missed a lot of the wildlife.The buffet breakfast were good as was the buffet lunches around the two pool areas. You never had to wait long for a waiter to come and serve you with drinks. We only had buffet evening meals twice and were a little disappointed, it was like a cattle drive, quite noisy and if you arrived after 8.30 the tablecloths were in need of changing. I do not like to sit at a table for dinner with a dirty cloth and both times I moved from the where I was shown to another table with a cleaner one.
The a la carte restaurants were wonderful, only once did we have to wait just under an hour and we just took ourselves off to the nearest bar with our pager and waited till we were called. if you arrive before 8.00 there is a good chance of going straight in. They do tend to serve you quite quickly and the first few days we felt quite rushed until we asked the waiter to give us 10 mins between the courses, this was no problem. We tried all aprt from the Japanese and found them all to be of a very good standard with very friendly staff. I would thoroughly recommend going to the fish restaurant on the beach. It is transformed from a beach bar in the day to a lovely restaurant at night. We did find the menu was a little limited but it's worth going to if only to see the racoons! If you're not careful they will steal the food right off your table! the waiters do their best to clear them off but they just creep back. They will feed from your hand but watch out for the teeth, they were extremely cute.
During the day we tried the beach a few times.....very disappointed! Extremely crowded, the first few rows of beds had no shade so if you wanted that then you were way back from the front. Unless you got there early you had to walk for ages to find a bed with no towel on it, despite the hotel saying reserving beds was not allowed. There were only 2 places that you could enter the sea as it was a little rocky, there was a lot of weed, although this was cleared first thing, it didn't take long to build up again. Also a considerable lack of fish! we had stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites, just a mile up the road, the previous year and while everyone moaned about the sand bags in the sea to help the erosion (they weren't particularly pretty) they did a fantastic job of luring in the brightly coloured fish. Here all we saw were 2 small shoals of silver fish approx 6" long.
The main pools were very big with plenty of beds but, being in our 60's, we didn't appreciate the constant boom boom and noise that surrounded them. We found the 2 adult only pools were great, very quite, nice bars, waiter came round the beds a couple of times in the day at the White Sands one. The water was beautiful, in the morning cool but by mid afternoon it was like stepping into a warm bath.
Our room was ok, air conditioning worked well although we also had the fan on a couple of nights. Our cleaner did an excellent job and we loved the daily towel sculptures. Because you are in the middle of a mangrove forest, we had no view apart from a bunch of trees! but it kept the sun off the room and so it stayed cool, which considering the heat outside was a blessing.
The bars at each of the 4 lobbies were slightly different in furniture, entertainment and views but all had very friendly and efficient staff, we never had an empty glass for long. Some singers were better than others!
There was plenty of wildlife around the complex including coaties, racoons, iguana of all sizes, there were monkeys in the trees although we could hear them we never saw them, very colourful birds, herons, kingfishers and pelicans, there was always something that caught your eye, keep your camera with you at all times!
I must say that this hotel is among one of the cleanest I have visited, everywhere you went there were cleaners, the place is spotless! my one big disappointment was that while I was there it was my birthday and my husband mentioned this to the lady at guest relations when booking the fish restaurant, she gave a shrug of her shoulders. On arriving at the restaurant again my husband told the maitre d before we were seated...again no response. We even told the waiter when we asked him to take a photograph....nothing! yet when we visited the Italian one evening a lady had a birthday, she was given a cake with what looked like a roman candle on it, and the entertainers came to her table to sing Happy Birthday, was she American or Canadian and did she hand out large tips? maybe that was the answer.
In spite of it's size and the beach being so crowded, we never found that to be a problem at the bars in the evenings, always somewhere to sit. After 10 days we were a little stir crazy after having just one day trip out (we were there for 14) Overall a very restful stay and I would recommend it for both families and couples as there were aeas that suited both.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelling2ross
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Dear travelling2ross,

Thank you for taking time to share with us and other readers your comments on Tripadvisor. All comments, positive and negative, are help for improve our work every day. I will take note about your comments about the restaurantes and I will share this information with our F&B managers and our Maitres.
I would like to give you my apologies for any incident that your have had in your vacation.

Please, if you decide visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed from May 14-21. Starting with the overall size of the property, the reveiws we read did not prepare us for how truely huge this property is. Miles of trails take you through the properties some paved others bridges and walkways. We were booked to stay in the Junior Suite in the Colonial side, when we arrived we were excited to learn that we had been upgraded to a Mayan Suite in the Kantena side! When we got to our room, it was in Villa 36 which was right next to the beach. The first problem we had was you could walk right onto the beach behind our Villa except we were not allowed to. The area was for Royal Guests only. So we had to take a walkway a short distance down and then access the beach. Problem there was it was very rocky, so we had to continue down the beach to find an area with no rocks. Very disapointed that our beach access was denied by our villa, it just made no sense. Our room was very nice although smaller than I imagined. Big problem was that although we had a jetted tub, the hot water did not come out more than a very small stream. To fill up the tub took hours. We reported it on day one and it never got fixed until the last day we were there. Very very disapointing. The outdoor shower was amazing and was my favorite part of the room. Houskeeping was great and Pedro did a wonderful job on our room daily. My husband is a diabetic and on day one as well, we asked for Diet Pepsi only for the refrigerator. We asked on days two and three as well and still no diet pepsi. We left a tip out and with a note and got one diet pepsi. It wasn't until the 4th day when a gardening truck forced my husband into the bushes by running him off the road that we complained about that and the soda and we finally got the diet pepsi although they did nothing about the gardener because they couldn't figure out who it was.
On to the resteraunts and food. Ribs and More and the Italian resteraunt (both at White Sands) were two of our favorites. But hands down the Japanese resteraunt show table was amazing and the best. The entertainment and food were superb. The buffetts were okay. The food was good but not great. The cleanliness of the buffett food areas wasn't that great. The staff in these areas were outstanding though. All very nice and pleasant.
Be careful!!! The walkways are marble and super slippery. During our stay we saw multiple people slip and fall and unfortunatly on the last day, I also fell.
The pool is grand and wonderful. Best part of the property. The pool entertainment was also great. They do a really great job in this area.
The spa is amazing. I got a message for $80 and it was so worth every cent. The area is peacful and the staff is super. They do a great job in this area.
Overall the property is not something we would return to because of how far you had to walk to get to places because the property shuttles just don't come down to the Villas we were staying in. We waited up to 30 minutes before giving up and walking on numerous occasions. It is very nice, but if you want to have easy access to what you are paying for, this is not the place. It is beautiful and for some, they say that they only stay here.
Hope this was helpful, adios!

Room Tip: Kantena Villas 34-36 are nearest the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SherriSwift

Dear SherriSwift,

Thank you for your comments and for your time. I would like to comment that the villa 36 is near the beach. There are a part reserved for the Royal Section, but there are other big part for the rest of the guests. It's the best part of the beach and there are a bar near of this area. I don't know why you say that your room was away of the beach area.
Regarding the incident of the gardener, we have talked with them for that don't pass similar incidents in the future.
I will check all of your comments with the Front Desk manager and please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have just returned today from 2 blissful weeks at the Grand Palladium, I travelled with my Mum (she is 66, I am 28) and we both LOVED this hotel.

ROOM:
We loved our room, which was a standard room (1206), plenty big enough, clean, everything in working order and close to the lobby, pool and restaurant. Also, really not sure where all these pillow complaints come from, I loved mine! Yes, it probably wouldnt meet UK/USA 5 star standards, but if you are looking for the mod cons of a Hilton, then stay in a Hilton!

LOBBY:
We spent time in all 4 lobbies (Collonial, Kantenah, White Sands & Riviera) and they are all beautiful, well maintained and immaculately clean. The staff are friendly and attentative... your glass is rarely empty! Different atmosphere in each lobby, so something to suit your every mood.

FOOD/BUFFET/RESTAURANTS:
We alternated between the buffets and pool bar for breakfast and lunch and have no complaints. Plenty of choice, good food, something a bit different every day, again well staffed and maintained. They are buffets so dont expect Michelin star quality but they far exceed buffets in any other All Inc resort I have been to.

The restaurants, all I can say is WOW! We ate at all 8 al a cartes, missed out on the Seafood Beach one though unfortunately as you have to be an early riser to book it. The Steak House was the only disappointment, we felt rushed and the steak was bloody even though I asked for well done. However, the others were all amazing, with the Japanese and Brazilian being the cream of the crop. Service is second to none and the waiters are so friendly.

GROUNDS:
The grounds are immaculate, beautiful and lush. The jungle surroundings are lovely with lots of wild animals such as Lizards, Coaties, Cats and Racoons; the Racoons will eat right out of your hand- very cute! The staff never stop cleaning, it really is the best maintained hotel I have ever seen.

POOL/BEACH:
Pool area is huge with plenty of beds, never struggled to find one. The pool is freeform with Jacuzzis and showers built into it; lovely, though for my personal tastes it was a little noisy with the entertainment going on, perfect for families though.

The beach at the Kantenah/Colonnial end is gorgeous, white sands and clear seas and you can go out really far with byour feet still on the bottom- great for a none swimmer like me!

The White Sands/Riviera isnt as nice as its rocky with lots of seaweed, but its pretty still if you dont mind that.

The Salt Water pool is gorgeous, very relaxing with cabanas to lounge on. You are right on the edge of the sea there and the views are spectacular.

Adults pools are both lovely and quiet, nice for a relaxing afternoon.

I could go on an on, but the best advice I can give is go, you wont regret it!

I do have a couple of criticisms though:

1. The evening entertainment in the Colonial lobby was AWFUL! Shows very 3rd rate and geared towards the American sense of humour, not at all amusing or entertaining for us brits. Also, the singer that comes on later can't sing in tune and doesnt know the words to the songs she is singing!

2. For the first 9 days of our holiday none of the phone card machines or the internet terminals were working, that was across all 4 lobbies. We had no phone signal either (not the hotels fault) but it was not good that in a resort of this size, we were unable to contact home.I eventually used my debit card to call.... be warned, a 2 minute call has set me back almost £40 and there is nothing to tell you the cost before making the call.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank tinkerbates

Thank you tinkerbates.

It's a pleasure to know that you had have a good vacation with us.

I take note about your comments about entertainment and I will share this information with our team.

With best regards,